Any reason to make a new character? Have all 9.

I've been seriously tempted to make a 2nd engineer for the Holosmith. It's everything my engineer is not. She's a norn who learned engineering from the charr, so she's very much a practical engineer - leather clothing, clanking whirring metal machinery, not a glowing light to be seen. And also her backstory is that she became an engineer partially because she spectacularly failed to learn to wield a sword (or any other conventional weapon her parents tried to teach her.

Trouble is I find it a lot of fun. So now I'm tempted to keep her as a base engineer/scrapper and make a second one as a holosmith.

I could also see myself doing the same with the other professions - having repeats with different builds and themes. In GW1 I had 4 rangers and it never felt pointless because they all did different things.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cyprien.4208 said:Yes, No.... Birthdays would be the best reason so you'll get extra gifts however you could also have each race have all the amor professions. They can be good for storage as well as parking. It's basically up to the users weather it's worth it or not.

Totally agree.64 charas is the cap, so every year you'll have 64 days of buff.you could play 4/5 hours per day with buff active ( you'll also have 54 celebration boosters ).

Extra rewards from story. You get tons of dyes from the story bags of loot. Later personal story chapters also give quire some rare materials and T6 materials. Not enough to constantly play story, but enough to make the trip worth it if you had to do it anyways.

Watching alternate baths of the story. I paid for all those voices, and by Jove I will listen to them all.

Keeping different gear sets. I find much more comfortable to have one warrior geared for direct damage and another for conditions than keeping all the gear in one and switching it around. It's already bad enough having to carry all the weapons in the inventory to change the skills when needed instead having them in dedicated weapon slots in the hero panel to switch the skills by right clicking the weapon slots.

Fashion. The more characters, the more different appearances you can keep.

Something that I utterly dislike: Node farming. For some absurd reason, nodes give very little materials, but they can be gathered with many characters. Because of this, it is way easier to leave several characters sitting by a spot where there's lots of a node and gathering them with different characters over and over and oooover and oooooooover ad nauseum.

I really, REALLY wish they made all nodes account bound and to take a whole week or even a month to recharge, but instead gave more materials per node and made more nodes appear after events are completed. So actually traveling the world and exploring to find more nodes gave you more materials than sitting at some spot pressing F for hours.

Birthday presents. With my 33 characters, I have obtained over 10K in dyes, and more is yet to come. Yes, you can't sell them, but hey, you won't have to buy them either. There's also birthday boosters, teleports to friend and scrolls to use to quickly level up characters.

Key farming. Yes, you can only get a key from level 10 story, but there's other keys later in the story. And ascended gear is account bound. If you got a set of ascended gear, you use scrolls from birthdays to level character up, gear them with the ascended gear, and complete the stories for the extra keys. And if you have 53 character slots, that's 1 free slot for the weekly level 10 keys, and 52 slots that will produce 52 experience scrolls per year with their birthdays to quickly level up the key farmer character every week. Key farming on automatic, baby.

Just because. Sometimes just making a new character and casually playing the game like new player without boosters and slowly exploring and leveling with gameplay can be a refreshing experience.

I have 22 characters, 2 of each class and a couple extras. My reasons for creating them were abundance of scrolls and tomes, wanting to play them differently without carrying multiple sets of gear and aesthetically for the different races. For example my first ranger is condi atm while my alt sylvari ranger is druid. Characters I play rarely usually sit at a node (rich ore, flax or elder wood). I have 2 that carry stuff from my bank that I may need later (gifts, inscriptions, account-bound runes and such).

I can understand a bit of the struggle. I have each of the 9 classes myself. I also have at least 3 extra slots. Have one for general key and Transmutation farming, but I honestly didn't have the intention to get more unless I get kick out of making more for either roleplaying purposes or for a more interesting endeavor: to make another set of 9 per generation of elite specs. I wanted to make a new 9 for the HoT ones and later make another 9 solely for PoF Elites. But sadly, I can't afford the extra slots since I have very low income at the moment to do what I want. But yeah. It all depends. I'd do it for RPing and for Fashion Wars. And also for the pseudo method of build templates so I don't have to constantly switch armor sets on a daily basis for different things. Until we get build templates, this is a more expensive yet semi-satisfying method of template switching...by switching between characters. XD

I've got 16 or 18 or something characters, and for me it's about not changing how I play but changing the character to change my mindset. The Norn Ele is a staff tempest, the Sylvari Ele does Scepter/Dagger. The Human necro does X while the Asura Necro does Y. Even if they're both wearing the same armor, or even if I share the armor if I'm doing fractals or whatever, it's still something so that I know what playstyle I'm doing on what character, without having to sit there and shift builds around.

Plus fashion wars.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:Sometimes just making a new character and casually playing the game like new player without boosters and slowly exploring and leveling with gameplay can be a refreshing experience.

If you really want this you should make a new account and not only a new character. There is a lot of account-bound stuff that changes the leveling experience and gameplay.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:Reasons for Another Character Slotby An Altaholic

1. Key farming
  2. Wanting to run a separate build with out having to change armor or Traits or weapons often
  3. Visual aesthetic of another race as that class
  4. "Building team asura"
  5. Want to see if story dialog changes with your race/class/faction of choice
  6. Bored with your current nine
  7. Did I mention key farming?
  8. Extra storage
  9. Event or node farmer parked on a map (because I'm not buying that many Malgies)
  10. Putting on a fashion show and need models
  11. All of the above

Yes with 11 asura characters out my total 16 character slots, I definitely qualify as "Building Team Asura." :)

You guys listed some great reasons to have duplicate professions! One guy in my guild has 70 toons on several accounts. Wow!

I have toyed with the idea of having two rangers, one power and one condi so I don't need to switch builds and gear. But overall I'm happy with 9 (one of each profession) and that's enough play time for me.

Yeah, just to add, and of course this is completely personal for me, but while I don't RP in game, my characters are fully fleshed out characters with personalities in my head. To that end, they gear out and trait out in line with their personalities and this goes double for the armor. My guess is those that really do the RP thing have a TON of toons.

Only 9?

Right now we have 9 classes. Then the HOT elites so double it. Oh, and more elites in a week so may as well triple it now. You probably want to have each race (at least one for each of the 3 armor types) so remember that too. Probably the same for gender. Key runners. Characters parked at various places. Given inventory bloat I tend to not have 'one character to rule them all' but dedicate characters to specific content.

I'm an altaholic so I have many. I use mine for several different reasons.

Some reasons to create more than the 9 toons:MulesActive characters that I don't have to switch gear and builds on. i.e. I love necros so I will have one for each elite and a normal one (Normal, Reaper, Scourge)If you like leveling a character naturally it can be fun.I like having different races with same classes.Some people have toons for each of the different modes (PvP, PvE, WvW)As others have pointed out Key Farming is another reason. A toon you create and delete over and over.

I faced the issue of adding yet another 80th level toon when we got the first insta-80 booster. I already had a max level toon of each class. What I ended up doing is making a new 80th level toon that was specifically for WvW (guardian). So far that has worked out really well for me and I no longer have to keep swapping gear when I switch between PvE and WvW. Instead, my level 80 WvW guardian uses one set of gear, specificially for WvW style play while my level 80 PvE guardian uses different gear.

However, I'm now faced with using yet another insta-80 booster, and I'm not sure what I'll use the new one for. I could potentially make a new level 80 WvW-specific toon of another class, but I'll need to see how the PoF meta plays out. Right now, Guard is still pretty useful in WvW and I'm not sure that's going to change a lot after PoF releases.

@Shirlias.8104 said:What is transmutation farming?

A better question might be why do you need to farm transmutations?

There are already lots of ways to earn those, some quicker than others:

• Complete city maps - each gives you 3, so each toon can get 18 across LA + 5 racial cities very quickly.
  • Work on PvP / WvW reward tracks - these award lots of transmutation charges along the way
  • Do normal map completions - you'll either get a transmutation charge (highly likely ~95%?) or a black lion key (rare ~5%?) (Note that wiki data suggests a higher rate of getting black lion keys and those numbers are close with what I encountered with my 1st toon doing each map, but the rate with subsequent toons is vastly lower based on what I've experienced with 8 toons that have world map completion.)
  • Open black lion chests. I get about 1 per 2 chests with my terrible luck. I'd much rather get something else instead.
  • Daily login reward chest (4th, 11th, 18th, 25th day) - relatively high chance it gives a transmutation charge.

With so many ways to earn them, it's difficult to fathom why you need to farm more of them. I've currently got 564 in my wallet, and at the rate I use them, this would last me for about 50 years. But since I earn them faster than I use them, the number will keep increasing and never run out. I have a similar problem with spirit shards, earning them much faster than I can use them. We could really use additional sinks for both.

I have the characters for all the classes, but that's hardly enough. There are several classes i'd like to have more than one builld for, and carrying several gear sets on each (and constant build switching) is getting tiring really fast. Then there are some characters designated for specific purposes (at one time had a silver doubloon jp farmer, there are also key farming slots, and possibly a chest opener).And that's without going into fashion reasons.

No, 9 is not even close to being enough.