"Just LOS" they say — Guild Wars 2 Forums

"Just LOS" they say

Twilight Tempest.7584Twilight Tempest.7584 Member ✭✭✭

INB4 "l2p"--I guess I learned the hard way that a hail of arrows from the sky (LB5) completely ignores overhead cover. I deliberately ran here to try to heal, but noooope.

I get it. In a game where Revs can port right through solid structures from 1200 range, and plenty of melee attacks and AOEs go right through walls, this is par for the course. Except that it's counter-intuitive as anything: A volley. Of arrows. Presumably from above. Completely ignores. The Stone structure surrounding you. :astonished:

The odd thing is the roof of the structure does affect the drawing of the red AOE boundaries which you can clearly see as a smaller ring tracing the circular roof. It's like a false visual though.

Also, I know the other LB attacks can be properly LOS'd. Just thought this was funny.

Comments

• praqtos.9035praqtos.9035 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2019

Swords here ignore the walls , engineer rifle with SHOTGUN shot ignores the walls too and instead of acting like a shotgun.A massive overcharge shot that supposed to blast things with excessive power at close range now is 1200 range "projectile". "Stealth" is not always a stealth, a high-tech technologies allows channeled skills to track you down :)
    Just magic, accept it.
    From what I see on the screenshot, no matter where will you go, you will die :)

• Euthymias.7984Euthymias.7984 Member ✭✭✭

PBAoE can go through walls and Barrage isnt really that scary unless you're already low as the picture shows.
    More at 11.

• Lighter.5631Lighter.5631 Member ✭✭✭

everything is just added animation to make skill look cool, but they are all just damaging circles, pulsing or not

• rng.1024rng.1024 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

You could have dodged negating all damage and getting superspeed while casting the heal ;)

• justmiragethings
    • Who needs LoS anyways
  • Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

There are three skills tied to ranger longbow people often complain about in pvp. Four if you dislike that rangers can use it to stealth.

Barrage isn't one of those skills.

~ Kovu

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• I'll address the snarky, presumptuous comments:

@rng.1024 said:
    You could have dodged negating all damage and getting superspeed while casting the heal ;)

• justmiragethings
    • Who needs LoS anyways

In case it wasn't clear from the OP, I thought I was out of LOS and didn't need to waste a dodge.

In case you couldn't tell from the 24 sec c/d and False Oasis icon, I had already just popped heal before unexpectedly getting barraged in what I thought was a safe spot.

I did in fact dodge in the next frame or so after this. I just posted this frame to show I was taking damage because this post is about a counter-intuitive, unexpected LOS issue.

@Kovu.7560 said:
    There are three skills tied to ranger longbow people often complain about in pvp. Four if you dislike that rangers can use it to stealth.

~ Kovu

I'm not complaining about Barrage.

Pardon me for letting real world expectations of projectile trajectory interfere with my still developing understanding of magical game mechanics.

• Kovu.7560Kovu.7560 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:

~ Kovu

I'm not complaining about Barrage.

It really sounded like you were. My mistake.

~ Kovu

Ranger main before it was viable.
    Fort Aspenwood.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭

Its been 7 years now, people should really get use to this.

• @Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everyone's been playing that long. Sorry for being relatively new.

I still think the idea of being hit by arrows within that structure is mind boggling, but I guess it's just a quirk of how PBAoEs work in this game, and despite being "arrows", LB5 isn't treated as projectiles.

• Fat Disgrace.4275Fat Disgrace.4275 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

@Twilight Tempest.7584 said:

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Fair enough, but that doesn't mean everyone's been playing that long. Sorry for being relatively new.

I still think the idea of being hit by arrows within that structure is mind boggling, but I guess it's just a quirk of how PBAoEs work in this game, and despite being "arrows", LB5 isn't treated as projectiles.

Sorry I didn't explain myself very good. A lot of other people have and it's been complained in the past, and anet has done nothing about it. If I was kinda new and this happened to me after 7 years of game release I would just think this is normal behaviour.

Lol on gw1 there was no jumping/or gliding, you could be ground level and someone was 2k units above you on a rope bridge, you can still melee them and body block them because the game acted as body collision. The amount of hammer stuns/bulls strikes I did in alliance battles was funny just in that instance.

• @Fat Disgrace.4275, all good. This was just my first time encountering this. I understand if it's old news to veterans.

• Jack Redline.5379Jack Redline.5379 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Solori.6025 said:

10 fat chars

A comment of a day

• Jack Redline.5379Jack Redline.5379 Member ✭✭✭✭

@toxic.3648 said:

Looks like Halo 5 to me Reapers back at it again we better call Darth Vader to gather up his fellowship of a ring to assemble against Mr. Bean's army of Pokemons.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Solori.6025 said:

10 fat chars

Glad to see this catching on.

The Psychomancer: Mesmer Elite Specialization Suggestion

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

Game validations at best.

Working as intended, u got trolled by Anet.

• kin korn karn.9023kin korn karn.9023 Member ✭✭✭

I don't get it. Mirage is actually very strong against Soulbeast.

• bOTEB.1573bOTEB.1573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

The ranger accuracy and dexterity is so high that he is able to slide his arrows between the bricks of the building.
    Now the ranger is ok but I don't really like that all other professions with AOE abilities are able to do this because they just lack the skill of a true sharp shooter, like the ranger.

Wishlist:
    Everything that kills me should be nerfed
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

@praqtos.9035 said:

Actually nearly all skills are available as well as weapon swap. There's a lot he/she could do here to survive, but too busy taking "gotcha" screenshot.

edited May 20, 2019

@kin korn karn.9023 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

Actually nearly all skills are available as well as weapon swap. There's a lot he/she could do here to survive, but too busy taking "gotcha" screenshot.

The only way to survive would be torch 4,jump down on the point and blink so far as possible. Otherwise no matter where you go without stealth, you will be open for LB

If you have a lot of space to kite and not locked on point, longbow gs is easly kills mirage, I did it many many times, even when they had perma reflect. Unstoppable union sic em memeing them for good

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2019

yeah barrage isn't an issue lol. this is more about how aoe works, or rather doesn't.

Te lazla otstra.
    nerf list

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

The only way to survive would be torch 4,jump down on the point and blink so far as possible. Otherwise no matter where you go without stealth, you will be open for LB

More or less, yeah. Dodge (gain regen and superspeed), Jaunt to lose cripple, stealth, drop to lower level, use mobility skills as necessary to gtfo. Can use a couple shatters for more vigor as needed. There is a ton in Mirage's kit to help handle situations like this, and nearly all of it was available at the moment the screenshot was taken.

If you have a lot of space to kite and not locked on point, longbow gs is easly kills mirage, I did it many many times, even when they had perma reflect. Unstoppable union sic em memeing them for good

There's stealth, multiple skills that break targeting, reflects, loads of vigor regen and protection, teleports to assist with LoS, and illusions to hide behind (which the arrows cannot pierce through unless the Soulbeast takes an oddball build with Marksmanship trait line.) Soulbeast's condi cleanse is very poor and cannot hold up to heavy condi pressure. The only reason a Mirage should lose into a Soulbeast is if he was caught off guard with his kit on CD, or if he simply doesn't know how to play his class. This must be why we have so many complaints about SlB, lotta ppl just have no idea how to use their kit to respond to pressure.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

More or less, yeah. Dodge (gain regen and superspeed), Jaunt to lose cripple, stealth, drop to lower level, use mobility skills as necessary to gtfo. Can use a couple shatters for more vigor as needed. There is a ton in Mirage's kit to help handle situations like this, and nearly all of it was available at the moment the screenshot was taken.

Did you just said what I did ... ? And no, thats was the only way to not die. It was possible only because mesmer had torch stealth ready,otherwise would be very dead.

There's stealth, multiple skills that break targeting, reflects, loads of vigor regen and protection, teleports to assist with LoS, and illusions to hide behind (which the arrows cannot pierce through unless the Soulbeast takes an oddball build with Marksmanship trait line.) Soulbeast's condi cleanse is very poor and cannot hold up to heavy condi pressure.

This typical complain about mesmer "perma everything,cant beat it" is getting old, guess why all "nerf the mesmer threads" are gone? Even before they deleted dueling traits. It was very simple to beat them, as I said, if you have enough space and dont have to worry about the point. I might explain it if you need it that much

The only reason a Mirage should lose into a Soulbeast is if he was caught off guard with his kit on CD, or if he simply doesn't know how to play his class.

Oh these guys had pretty boosted ego ,because of cmirage apparently, but still die .And it was way before they nerfed "perma reflect".

This must be why we have so many complaints about SlB, lotta ppl just have no idea how to use their kit to respond to pressure.

Or soulbeast cant play their own class and die to everything?

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

Did you just said what I did ... ? And no, thats was the only way to not die. It was possible only because mesmer had torch stealth ready,otherwise would be very dead.

Like I said, "More or less, yeah." Like I said, nearly his/her entire kit is off cooldown. ("Otherwise" is irrelevant.)

There's stealth, multiple skills that break targeting, reflects, loads of vigor regen and protection, teleports to assist with LoS, and illusions to hide behind (which the arrows cannot pierce through unless the Soulbeast takes an oddball build with Marksmanship trait line.) Soulbeast's condi cleanse is very poor and cannot hold up to heavy condi pressure.

This typical complain about mesmer "perma everything,cant beat it" is getting old, guess why all "nerf the mesmer threads" are gone? Even before they deleted dueling traits. It was very simple to beat them, as I said, if you have enough space and dont have to worry about the point. I might explain it if you need it that much

Straw man much? All I'm saying is, Mirage's kit is well equipped to handle SlB in 1v1. SlB can win, sure, but you have to catch the Mirage off guard or simply outplay.

Straw man much? All I'm saying is, Mirage's kit is well equipped to handle SlB in 1v1. SlB can win, sure, but you have to catch the Mirage off guard or simply outplay.

Thats what you tell to yourself to feel better? SLB has greater mobility/stealth/good condi cleanse/unblockables every 10 seconds/second resistance heal thats more than enough, if you struggle, thats not my problem. "Dont waste my time"

@praqtos.9035 said:

Thats what you tell to yourself to feel better? SLB has greater mobility/stealth/good condi cleanse/unblockables every 10 seconds/second resistance heal thats more than enough, if you struggle, thats not my problem. "Dont waste my time"

I'm hardly struggling, just pointing out facts. Mirage vs SlB matchup favors the Mirage. "Good condi cleanse" good joke. The little bit of stealth is whatever. High mobility is tied to a specific pet's beastmode ability, as is the resistance, so often not accessible. Unlockable is not every ten seconds unless you drop beastmode immediately.

You're seriously overselling this, except that you missed the block on GS.

@praqtos.9035 said:

I'm hardly struggling, just pointing out facts. Mirage vs SlB matchup favors the Mirage. "Good condi cleanse" good joke. The little bit of stealth is whatever. High mobility is tied to a specific pet's beastmode ability, as is the resistance, so often not accessible. Unlockable is not every ten seconds unless you drop beastmode immediately.

Let me coseplay you sir :
    Mesmer has close to no access to vigor ,which was gutted in multeple ways. 2 seconds of reflect on 10 seconds cooldown "good joke", just as one stealth for 3 seconds on 30 seconds cooldown, its also tied tied to specific weapon so not so often accessible. Just as protection, you have to play specific defensive traitline and sacrifice all your damage !
    All I can say learn to play as if you cant use your second pet or dont know ranger own traits for cleanse,lol

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

Mesmer has close to no access to vigor ,which was gutted in multeple ways. 2 seconds of reflect on 10 seconds cooldown "good joke", just as one stealth for 3 seconds on 30 seconds cooldown, its also tied tied to specific weapon so not so often accessible. Just as protection, you have to play specific defensive traitline and sacrifice all your damage !
    All I can say learn to play as if you cant use your second pet or dont know ranger own traits for cleanse,lol

Lol buddy, you can think what you want about how terrible a player I am, and to be honest you probably wouldn't be completely off base with your assumption.

But if you think that Mirage can't dish out enough condis to render Wilderness Knowledge practically worthless, and that its defenses aren't sufficient to survive a bit of Soulbeast pressure... Well, either you're a god at Soulbeast, you're stark raving mad, or you simply haven't faced a decent Mirage yet.

• XECOR.2814XECOR.2814 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2019

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

Lol buddy, you can think what you want about how terrible a player I am, and to be honest you probably wouldn't be completely off base with your assumption.

But if you think that Mirage can't dish out enough condis to render Wilderness Knowledge practically worthless, and that its defenses aren't sufficient to survive a bit of Soulbeast pressure... Well, either you're a god at Soulbeast, you're stark raving mad, or you simply haven't faced a decent Mirage yet.

Mirage loses to boon sb now. But it is a very very long fight and sb basically outsustains it.

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

You need a pair of glasses to see that I said when its not on point (i'm not god soulbeast and I mainly played zerk oneshot for fun)? Axe is a melee weapon, staff hadoukens never hit when you are moving on decent range. One of these had top10 title, boosted ape tbh, I agree

@XECOR.2814 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

@praqtos.9035 said:

Mirage loses to boon sb now. But it is a very very long fight and sb basically outsustains it.

Boonbeast has been nerfed into complete irrelevance and can't win a 1v1 with anyone it hasn't put to sleep, but that's a different story entirely.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.