Why doesn't GW2 have the option of 1x1 duels??

On 9/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, hatozeni.5721 said:

In World of Warcraft there is no Dye System. If you've got a beautiful set/gear but it's orange and you hate orange... there's nothing you can do. If you go to the WoW forum now and suggest Dye System... fantastically... you will encounter the same resistance seen here in the case of the "1v1 duel" for the most selfish reasons possible. Many there say that most people would only paint their clothes black (because in wow there is not a single set totally black)... but get this... in GW2 you can paint your outfit/set/gear 100% full black ...but I think less than 3% of the players I see use a 100% black set on GW2. This demolishes all arguments against WoW players' dye system.
And it also proves (or suggests) that a lot of things that you think will happen in a GW2 with 1v1 duels....will not actually happen as you imagine.
In short: In WoW it is absurd for most players who participate in the forum that you simply want to wear an outfit of the color you like. Amazing, isn't it?
I think they would also find this thread "Amazing" because duels have been there for 15 - 16 years, many love it, all PVErs respect 1v1 duels as something routine.
p.s: Everything else in WoW sucks, (imo).

I would like to (respectfully) add:
- In most games with 1v1 duel it is not allowed to duel within cities.
- It is not allowed to duel in areas that interfere with any PVE event.
- There are ways you can block any duel invites forever.
- I've never heard of Stalkers who chase those who don't want to duel. This is a legend. A delusion.
- I've never heard of people who like to duel to show off (as said in this thread). My God, In a duel you have a 50% chance of losing. How would someone like to display a defeat?
- 1v1 Duel is not an affront, aberration, indecent exposure, provocation or any name you want to say. It's just a fun pastime for players who like to fight other players.

(English is not my first lenguage. Sorry for some mystake).

Bad analogy is bad.

Dying your clothes is your think. There is NO WAY to make dying your clothes something that affects my armor. But having dueling in the game, and I've seen it in other games, attracts trolls who want you to duel with them, insist that you duel with them, call you out in map chat if you don't duel with them. This has happened to me, in at least two different games that offer optional 1v1 dueling.

It encourages bad behavior, or at least provides an excuse for it. Dying your armor doesn't actually have anything to do with the issues that 1v1 dueling have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, hatozeni.5721 said:

I dare say here that perhaps there is no community in this universe more toxic than the little (bearded and spoiled) boys of World of Warcraft. However as my focus has always been PVP (and as it happens in the world of fight academies or martial arts) people who like to (friendly) fight each other, duel, etc... seem to be better people... and these few best PVP people in WoW kept me in that game for 15 years. And in 15 f****** years I have never (NEVER) heard of any case of stalking or bullying.... because of a denied duel (which doesn't even need to be denied if you previously clicked the never receive invitation button for duel).
I (respectfully) think that the arguments raised here against harmless fun in the game... are extremely cruel and selfish.
Sorry for my frankness.

And I think that the arguments for interefering in my game is extremely cruel and selfish. Do you have any idea of how many people who play MMOs have anxiety or depression or social issues. It's not one or two, I can tell you that.

And you think that it's more important to have fun in a game than possibly bother other human beings, when you can ALREADY duel in the game in different places. 

Tell me, what's more selfish and cruel do you think? You wanting to have fun even though you know some people will be hurt by it, or me saying no, this shouldn't be in the game because some people will be negatively affected by it?

Your post seems unnecessarily judgemental to me. It's not as if people can't go to a PvP room and Duel or go to WvW and Duel or use a Guild Arena and Duel. There are rooms in PvP that are dueling arenas set up for just that purpose.

But it's not good enough. You want the WHOLE game. The problem is it's not just your game and it will affect the enjoyment and comfort levels and even the emotional wellness of some players.  Probably best to leave the personal judgements out of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

And I think that the arguments for interefering in my game is extremely cruel and selfish. Do you have any idea of how many people who play MMOs have anxiety or depression or social issues. It's not one or two, I can tell you that.

And you think that it's more important to have fun in a game than possibly bother other human beings, when you can ALREADY duel in the game in different places. 

Tell me, what's more selfish and cruel do you think? You wanting to have fun even though you know some people will be hurt by it, or me saying no, this shouldn't be in the game because some people will be negatively affected by it?

Your post seems unnecessarily judgemental to me. It's not as if people can't go to a PvP room and Duel or go to WvW and Duel or use a Guild Arena and Duel. There are rooms in PvP that are dueling arenas set up for just that purpose.

But it's not good enough. You want the WHOLE game. The problem is it's not just your game and it will affect the enjoyment and comfort levels and even the emotional wellness of some players.  Probably best to leave the personal judgements out of it.

You know, i was going to type up a reply, but you said most of it.

One thing id add, ive never found a PVP community to be friendly and kind. They are mostly toxic and rude, and the more skilled they are, the worse they get. 8 years of playing WOT, and another 5(And counting) playing WOWS has taught me how rude skilled players can get. GW2s PVP community is no better when it comes to being rude and toxic to each other, i really dont want to see that spread to PVE at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

They likely don't have dueling in the way of WoW's do it anywhere style to prevent harassment. There's a lot stuff like that, such as not being able to inspect gear of another player. Heck they removed the ability to trade from GW1 lol. They could make a private 1v1 dueling lobby thing that I doubt people would get upset over. If they did that though they'd be unleashing a whole nightmare that's 1v1 game balance lol

13 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Bad analogy is bad.

Dying your clothes is your think. There is NO WAY to make dying your clothes something that affects my armor. But having dueling in the game, and I've seen it in other games, attracts trolls who want you to duel with them, insist that you duel with them, call you out in map chat if you don't duel with them. This has happened to me, in at least two different games that offer optional 1v1 dueling.

It encourages bad behavior, or at least provides an excuse for it. Dying your armor doesn't actually have anything to do with the issues that 1v1 dueling have.

I have seen people telling other people that their coloring sucks/gives them kitten.

So should we ban dyes now, because there is a minor fraction of people harassing other people about this option of the game?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Imba.9451 said:

I have seen people telling other people that their coloring sucks/gives them kitten.

So should we ban dyes now, because there is a minor fraction of people harassing other people about this option of the game?

Dear lord, are you gonna compare bad dye choices to personally sending invite to other people?
Did you type all that with a straight face?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/30/2021 at 6:33 PM, hatozeni.5721 said:

(English is not my first lenguage. Sorry some mystake)

Hi. There are few things that GW2 lacks for this to be the most perfect game I've ever played.

Beautiful, the best armor skins, the most fun and varied classes and the main thing: the best PVP of an MMOPRG on the internet.
I just love PVP in GW2 but there's one thing I miss a lot: 1x1 casual duels.

Why after so many years we still don't have this simple addition? I look at all those toons standing in Lion's Arch (bored) and wonder if it would be like this if we had the duel button.
Thoughts?

So uh, there's this thing called game balance.  PvE is separate from PvP  and WvW for a reason.  Look at the effects of some conditions and skills in PvP and  WvW and  compare them to what they do in PvE.  I don't think ANet has a way to hotswap balance separation based on what the player is doing and may require a full map load (Like connecting to HotM and connecting to WvW respectively).  As much as I'd love something more open and accessible than Guild arenas, I don't think we'll be getting that.

14 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Bad analogy is bad.

Ehm.  This is purely an example but

They could tell you to change your dyes because they suck, call you out in map chat because your dyes suck, and spam you with party invites because your dyes suck.

In both instances, you can block the player and report them for verbal abuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

They could tell you to change your dyes because they suck, call you out in map chat because your dyes suck, and spam you with party invites because your dyes suck.

Purely an example indeed because i never see or have this happened to me, not to say it doesn't exist but let not give those "special people" more ammunition

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

[...] Do you have any idea of how many people who play MMOs have anxiety or depression or social issues. It's not one or two, I can tell you that. [...]

If someone has social anxiety, the solution is not oppose new social features in a massive multiplayer online game, the solution is to go to a professional to help you overcome it.

Also, I just want to let you all know, althought you don't care, that I want duels in this game to be able to duel FOR FUN, with my best friend, meanwhile we play the rest of the game in Tyria. I don't want to interrump what we are doing to go to some instanced lobby to be able to duel. We (us 2, again I speak for me and my friend), we don't want to duel anyone else, and we (my friend and I) don't want any rewards, neither any balance attatched to the idea of being able to duel in the open world.

I just would like to those that oppose this feature to understand this concept.

EDIT: Typo, english is not mi main language.

Edited by Naxian.9823
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sirius.4510 said:

To me this seems like the real solution; not only for these reasons, but also that it doesn't require breaking the "PvP zone" system baked into the game, which should mean a shorter development cycle.

You mean some sort of portal system in LA that take you to some kind of instance where you can quickly get fights with other players?

Hell, make it multiple instances and maybe even color coordinate then in a simple RGB fashion and you might be on to something.

Or even a button in the GUI!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Imba.9451 said:

Different situation, completely. Yeah those guys are asshats. But dueling is different because by nature it's confrontational. That is to say, in the relatively short time I played WoW and the someone longer time I played Rift, I had that situation arise more than once in each game. Some guy that tried to "encourage me" to duel them.  But I never had anyone say that my coloring sucks and I should give up.  I'm not saying it can't happen.  But we know anything PvP related and competitive gives way to more competetive people who have different boundaries than people who are "pve carebears" for lack of a better word.  Dying your armor doesn't lend itself to aggression. Dueling by it's very nature is aggressive.

It's like the car/gun argument. One of them is designed as a weapon, and functions as such because of that design. One of them can be used as a weapon but has a different primary purpose.  I find your argument at best naive and at worst disingenuous.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

I said this elsewhere but it bears repeating.  1v1 dueling is by its' very nature a competitive area of the game. Dying  your clothes, is a solo experience. I can't duel myself but I can dye my own clothes.   In all my years of playing MMOs, even though someone can say that about my dye job, I haven't actually had it happen, but I have had people insist loudly and obnoxiously that I duel with them. 

I'm not sure how you think you can equate these things, since dueling is inherently competitive and draws in people who are by nature competitive, who are more likely to yell at people in map chat to start a fight. And in fact, I strongly suspect, even in the case of someone yelling at me about the dyes, it's the behavior of a 1v1er, since in both situations they're looking for a fight.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

IDK, I've had someone get pretty kitten over my style before and people already harass those with "gaudy" use of infusions.

You can blame Anet on this for not adding the abilty to disable other people's infusion, something that have been requested so many freaking time

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

If someone has social anxiety, the solution is not oppose new social features in a massive multiplayer online game, the solution is to go to a professional to help you overcome it.

Also, I just want to let you all know, althought you don't care, that I want duels in this game to be able to duel FOR FUN, with my best friend, meanwhile we play the rest of the game in Tyria. I don't want to interrump what we are doing to go to some instanced lobby to be able to duel. We (us 2, again I speak for me and my friend), we don't want to duel anyone else, and we (my friend and I) don't want any rewards, neither any balance attatched to the idea of being able to duel in the open world.

EDIT: Typo, english is not mi main language.

You're suggesting people get profession help so you can duel in a game? lol k then.  You can already duel in the game as pointed out umpteen times. But having places where people are safe from that silliness is a godsend to a percentage of the playerbase.

At the end of the day, Guild Wars 2 is a business. 1v1 dueling is neither likely to bring new players to the game, nor is its absense likely to drive people from the game. Where as having those types of encounters can drive certain other people from the game. In either case, it's a pretty small group, but I'm pretty sure more people would walk away over a bad experience with dueling than would walk away because we don't have one.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

Also, I just want to let you all know, althought you don't care, that I want duels in this game to be able to duel FOR FUN, with my best friend, meanwhile we play the rest of the game in Tyria. I don't want to interrump what we are doing to go to some instanced lobby to be abble to duel. We (us 2, again I speak for me and my friend), we don't want to duel anyone else, and we (my friend and I) don't want any rewards, neither any balance attatched to the idea of being able to duel in the open world.

Hi. Someone who's gone to therapy for anxiety and played GW2 at the same time here. It's possible to do both and GW2 is actually preferable to other games as there's less PvP and player-driven animosity if you stick to the open world. Not everyone clicks with solo games and the (positive) social experiences in social games can actually help with anxiety while building a stronger social network.

And you may not want to interrupt your gameplay to go to a guild hall or PvP lobby or WvW or WvW lounge or EotM but others don't want people dueling to interrupt them when they're minding their own business. Yeah, you and your friend may be respectful and duel out of the way but if such a feature existed, you and your friend wouldn't be the only ones using it and not everyone would be mindful of others—in fact, quite the opposite given others' experiences in various MMOs.

Going through a loading screen when you just want to duel a friend sucks, but so does having to stop what you're doing, changing characters, or closing the game before you're done because people are using duels as an excuse to make areas unplayable, if not straight up harassing people who don't want to duel them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Ultramex.1506 said:

You can blame Anet on this for not adding the abilty to disable other people's infusion, something that have been requested so many freaking time

And what would stop ANet from just simply adding a 'decline all duels' option?

This singular experience people express in here about how toxic others are and,  after 3k hours of playing a game with active dueling, I've only seen it twice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Vayne.8563 said:

[...] You're suggesting people get profession help so you can duel in a game? lol k then.  [...]

I ask you politely to not put words in my mouth. This is what I said:

19 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

If someone has social anxiety, [...], the solution is to go to a professional to help you overcome it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

This singular experience people express in here about how toxic others are and,  after 3k hours of playing a game with active dueling, I've only seen it twice.

The games I played you could opt out of dueling and it didn't stop people from hanging around in starter zones demanding people duel with them. Admittedly this game has a better playerbase than WoW, but you know, I'd rather keep it that way and not give people that tool to grief.  

Obviously you can decline. And the person who's jumping up and down in front of you and following you around and calling you out in map chat won't be affected by that at all. But you might be.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sir Alymer.3406 said:

And why should Anet add a solution to a problem when they can just, you know, not adding the problem?
Jesus, don't be like Imba.9451 comparing to duel invite with infusion

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Naxian.9823 said:

I ask you politely to not put words in my mouth. This is what I said:

And some people will and some people won't. Doesn't change the fact that dueling is inherently competitive and doesn't need to be in PvE zones in a game that has gone out of it's way to remove competitive elements from those zones.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Naxian.9823 said:

But if the cause of the social anxiety is societal, the most efficient solution may be to create a better social environment.

Even the notion of “better” in this case is misplaced; if ANet wants to create a different social environment where PvE interactions are non-competitive by default, this will clash with duelling and those who want it. This is the hurdle that threads like this seem unable to clear: the community ANet is trying to foster seems incompatible with ad hoc open world duelling. That’s not necessarily a problem with duelling or GW2, maybe it’s just not compatible with ANet’s vision at the moment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vayne.8563 said:

The games I played you could opt out of dueling and it didn't stop people from hanging around in starter zones demanding people duel with them. Admittedly this game has a better playerbase than WoW, but you know, I'd rather keep it that way and not give people that tool to grief.  

Obviously you can decline. And the person who's jumping up and down in front of you and following you around and calling you out in map chat won't be affected by that at all. But you might be.

Yeah, then those people are just jerks, so block, report, and move on.

This game is similar enough to ESO for me to say that it'd not cause the same problems you're fearing from your experience in WoW, here.  People in there duel in set places around set areas because it's either

1) Flat enough to be a fair battleground
2) Interesting enough to fight around
3) Outside of the visible range of the guards (That one doesn't matter here) so use of criminal abilities doesn't get a bounty pinned on you.

Is there the occasional butt that takes it too far?  Yes.  They exist everywhere in every aspect of any game.  This isn't justification to not have something added and people need to realize this sooner, rather than later.

However, from a technical standpoint, open world duels are dumb.  They wouldn't work.  ANet would have to figure out a way to implement pvp/wvw balance  when a duel is initiated and only for those who are actually dueling, or  just do away with pvp/wvw/pve balance split.  Neither of which are a viable method for this.  Though, really, there may be a way to do it via instancing within the cities by adding a custom lobby NPC somewhere nearby to show people all the awesome custom  arenas they could play in.