Why doesn't Aegis corrupt into blind?

Kuma.1503

It makes more sense than burning. 

When you have aegis you block one incoming attack

When you have blind you miss one outgoing attack

Fury should corrupt into burning instead of blind. 

In this case you go from being heated to literally being heated. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

It makes more sense than burning. 

When you have aegis you block one incoming attack

When you have blind you miss one outgoing attack

Fury should corrupt into burning instead of blind. 

In this case you go from being heated to literally being heated. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Because burning is the most powerful condition, and Aegis is the most powerful defensive boon, so if we were to swap and do the complete opposite aegis to burning makes sense at least from my perspective.

Edited by Genesis.5169

Two things come to my mind:

Fury is a very common boon and burn is the strongest damaging condition in the game. So on necro you could expect a lot of free burns.

Blind to aegis conversion would also be extremely strong as blind as a relatively common condition could be converted into the strongest defensive boon in the game.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KrHome.1920 said:

Two things come to my mind:

Fury is a very common boon and burn is the strongest damaging condition in the game. So on necro you could expect a lot of free burns.

Blind to aegis conversion would also be extremely strong as blind as a relatively common condition could be converted into the strongest defensive boon in the game.

Aegis is not the strongest boon in the game. It’s literally the same thing as a single blind application. They both negate an attack. 

The strongest boon in the game prior to its nerf was resistance. Now, after nerfs, it’s protection, as it negates far, FAR more damage over time.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

Aegis is not the strongest boon in the game. It’s literally the same thing as a single blind application. They both negate an attack. 

The strongest boon in the game prior to its nerf was resistance. Now, after nerfs, it’s protection, as it negates far, FAR more damage over time.

Blocking 40% or blocking an entire attack or combo...you say blocking 40% is stronger okay.

1 hour ago, Genesis.5169 said:

Blocking 40% or blocking an entire attack or combo...you say blocking 40% is stronger okay.

There’s two ways to look at Aegis: a) you can look at it through a strategic perspective and b) through its properties mathematically

strategically the only build aegis is strong against would things like warrior…builds that have very large damage in a small number of slow, highly telegraphed skills. Whereas by contrast, aegis is the weakest against builds with very small damage with large number of fast skills…aka the majority of the damage in the game…think of reaper shroud 4, auto attacks, flamethrower…

Mathematically, it should be obvious that protection beats aegis in negation of damage by just looking at the skill….So sure you might have someone land a big bad combo…but that combo usually breaks down into some form of damage at some point in the line anyway, so you can break the entire problem down into just applications of damage which can then be used to directly compare aegis and protection (a calculation that I’ve done). If there were lots of skills in the game that actually required combos, aegis would be stronger but the reality of the game is that it’s not….almost nothing in the game is based on combos, (just look no further than the behavior of stacking damage multipliers as evidence of that) 

19 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

protection is 33%
also, most classes can just almost outright ignore aegis, most notably rev with its CONVINIENT multi-hits that will bypass it.

Protection traited with engineer's overshield is 40% damage reduction, tho. ^^

The whole discussion about protection or aegis being stronger makes no sense, it is about the situation.

Against multi-hit skills, protection is much stronger.

Against single powerful hits (like PBM), aegis is stronger.

In a teamfight situation, protection prevents more damage. In a 1v1, aegis is potentially way stronger.

People tend to forget that context matters.

About the topic of the threat: I think it mostly is about thematics, tbh. It is called fury, but it is a buff to your precision, makes you crit more often. The opposite of this would be to make you miss, aka blind.

Aegis is thematically tied with guardian, since they are the main users of this boon. And the condition which guardians are most known for using is burn.

I think you missed the purpose of said boons and conditions, why it’s logical as it is.

Fury is an offensive boon, that makes your strikes stronger (via critical hits). The opposite of hitting harder is hitting for less, or not hitting. The opposite of an offensive bonus is an offensive malus, not taking damage. Aegis is a defensive boon, you use it to escape damage. The opposite of escaping damage is taking damage, so … burning is perfect for that.

Corrupting and converting is supposed to give you the opposite effect, not apply two distincts effects that don’t oppose in the same way. You’re just being fooled because of how Blind and Aegis work.

2 hours ago, Ragnar.4257 said:

Yes, this is what scrapper/holo with Purity of Purpose and guardian with Pure of Voice needs..... more Aegis.

I think burning is a more common condition than blind…not to mention since blinds are more easy to remove, thus preventing conversions.

think of it this way. If you had burning condition and all it took was to hit the opposing player to cleanse that condition burning would be far less strong than it is. This is the position that Blind is in…it can be removed by condition cleansing and by just hitting any attack button where as burning can only be cleansed by specific, and much smaller pool of spells

About the topic: I agree with Kodama, that the reason is more than likely, based on class flavor/thematics, not a balance choice, with consistency in the idea that the condition does the “negative version” behavior of the boon.

On 9/7/2021 at 6:03 AM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

There’s two ways to look at Aegis: a) you can look at it through a strategic perspective and b) through its properties mathematically

strategically the only build aegis is strong against would things like warrior…builds that have very large damage in a small number of slow, highly telegraphed skills. Whereas by contrast, aegis is the weakest against builds with very small damage with large number of fast skills…aka the majority of the damage in the game…think of reaper shroud 4, auto attacks, flamethrower…

Mathematically, it should be obvious that protection beats aegis in negation of damage by just looking at the skill….So sure you might have someone land a big bad combo…but that combo usually breaks down into some form of damage at some point in the line anyway, so you can break the entire problem down into just applications of damage which can then be used to directly compare aegis and protection (a calculation that I’ve done). If there were lots of skills in the game that actually required combos, aegis would be stronger but the reality of the game is that it’s not….almost nothing in the game is based on combos, (just look no further than the behavior of stacking damage multipliers as evidence of that) 

i think you just nailed while warrior is trash right now