skiffis and fishing looks amazing and that aproblem?

BadSanta.6527

On 9/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, BadSanta.6527 said:

and fishing is not must to have , it is just some thing for people who what to realx

Hm... from this point of view, raids, fractals and strike missions are also not must to have because it's just some thing for people who want to do challenging (group) content . Story is just for people who want to enjoy the story, meta events are not must to have because it's just some thing for people who want to zerg :classic_ohmy:.  PvP is just some thing for people who want to play against other players etc, etc. So... what is "must-have" in an MMOG with many different players with different interests?

Edited by Mahou.3924
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:29 AM, Doggie.3184 said:

Careful, they might end up adding a WvW ocean map with boat combat.

A handful of posts down a troll thread and someone already has a better idea for content than fishing. But in seriousness, fishing isn't content. Come on, that's like basing an entire expansion around picking berries. B-b-but it has mechanics!! So? It's a gathering skill. And you just *know* the legendaries will be gated behind level 500 fishing... Which might explain why their design is a little bit...

*Puts on flannel jacket*

Fishy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, nosleepdemon.1368 said:

A handful of posts down a troll thread and someone already has a better idea for content than fishing. But in seriousness, fishing isn't content. Come on, that's like basing an entire expansion around picking berries. B-b-but it has mechanics!! So? It's a gathering skill. And you just *know* the legendaries will be gated behind level 500 fishing... Which might explain why their design is a little bit...

*Puts on flannel jacket*

Fishy.

Well the legendaries is aurene themed and we all know aurene likes fish from the hot story so it kinda fits.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:01 AM, Vayne.8563 said:

I always love when people throw around the term actual content. Whether you like specific content or not, it's actual content. Collections are content for some people. World bosses are content for some people. Raids are content for some people. PvP is content for some people.

I can pretty much  guarantee more people will fish than will PvP.  For them, that will be real content. PvP is not content to people who don't ever go into PvP, and there are plenty of them.

Games have to have things for different groups of people. Fishing is for some of them. If it's not for you, I'm sure there will be bosses, meta events, and even new strike missions coming out with EoD.  

You're not going to like everything introduced in an MMO.

To be fair, there is a higher likelihood of people doing combat/exploration in an RPG over something like fishing. I'm not saying it's not actual content, or shouldn't be in the game, but it seems like something so niche doesn't really deserve half of the expansion features so far. We know of fishing, the skiff (something for fishing), new elites, and a turtle of death. I'm happy for those that wanted fishing, but this really seems like something they should just add this tuesday, and have something interesting in its place as an expansion feature. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

To be fair, there is a higher likelihood of people doing combat/exploration in an RPG over something like fishing. I'm not saying it's not actual content, or shouldn't be in the game, but it seems like something so niche doesn't really deserve half of the expansion features so far. We know of fishing, the skiff (something for fishing), new elites, and a turtle of death. I'm happy for those that wanted fishing, but this really seems like something they should just add this tuesday, and have something interesting in its place as an expansion feature. 

To be fair, you're paying $30 for an expansion which is exactly two months of WoW or final fantasy or two "optional" months of SWTOR and ESO.  The big features with the exception of housing are done. You can't put mounts into the game again. HoT was supposed to be the expansion that laid out the major structure features of the game going forward, so it added a lot. PoF added mounts, and bounties, but little else.

Before we even get the expansion we're getting a DX 11 update,  a WvW alliance update in beta and we've already gotten a legendary armory all considered major features. Truth, Anet could have waited and put those in the expansion just to show you that you've got your money's worth but this hasn't been an expansion centric game since launch. Fractals weren't added during an expansion. Strike missions weren't added during an expansion. The wardrobe wasn't added during an expansion.  Our major features have often come between expansions.

If WoW doesn't come out with something new for two months, you're still paying $30 for this. Anet is asking you to pay $30 a couple of years after the last expansion came out for new zones, new stories and new elite specs. By themselves, those things have to be worth $30.  The only major feature we don't have now is housing, and for all we know they're saving that for the next expansion.

Tell me the truth, if Anet advertised the expansion this way  

Big features:

DX 11 Update

Legendary Armory

Alliances in WvW

Fishing

Skiffs

New Zones

New Stories

New elite specs...

Would you still have a problem?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

3 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

To be fair, you're paying $30 for an expansion which is exactly two months of WoW or final fantasy or two "optional" months of SWTOR and ESO.  The big features with the exception of housing are done. You can't put mounts into the game again. HoT was supposed to be the expansion that laid out the major structure features of the game going forward, so it added a lot. PoF added mounts, and bounties, but little else.

Before we even get the expansion we're getting a DX 11 update,  a WvW alliance update in beta and we've already gotten a legendary armory all considered major features. Truth, Anet could have waited and put those in the expansion just to show you that you've got your money's worth but this hasn't been an expansion centric game since launch. Fractals weren't added during an expansion. Strike missions weren't added during an expansion. The wardrobe wasn't added during an expansion.  Our major features have often come between expansions.

If WoW doesn't come out with something new for two months, you're still paying $30 for this. Anet is asking you to pay $30 a couple of years after the last expansion came out for new zones, new stories and new elite specs. By themselves, those things have to be worth $30.  The only major feature we don't have now is housing, and for all we know they're saving that for the next expansion.

Tell me the truth, if Anet advertised the expansion this way  

Big features:

DX 11 Update

Legendary Armory

Alliances in WvW

Fishing

Skiffs

New Zones

New Stories

New elite specs...

Would you still have a problem?

I'm not quite sure where the WoW rant came in, or what it has to do with what I said? I was just pointing out that the feature is a niche in every MMO it's ever existed in, and it doesn't seem like something that couldn't have been added at any time. No need to make it an expansion feature. It's not innovative or anything. Seems like something some people will like, because I always see a few people fishing in games, but it's not going to bring in waves of people, and it's not even going to interest most of the current playerbase, I would bet. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

I'm not quite sure where the WoW rant came in, or what it has to do with what I said? I was just pointing out that the feature is a niche in every MMO it's ever existed in, and it doesn't seem like something that couldn't have been added at any time. No need to make it an expansion feature. It's not innovative or anything. Seems like something some people will like, because I always see a few people fishing in games, but it's not going to bring in waves of people, and it's not even going to interest most of the current playerbase, I would bet. 

Mounts are standard in almost every MMO I've played and they were introduced as a feature.  The point is it IS a feature. An expansion doesn't have to be groundbreaking or earthshaking to be something this game is missing that a lot of people want and quite a few have asked for.

But the point you seem to be making is that fishing isn't making me excited about the expansion because it's not exciting. Any other MMO company would have held over the three big news items for the expansion.  DX 11 update, bigger than fishing. WvW alliances bigger than fishing. Legendary armory, arguably bigger than fishing but we're getting them all in the months leading up to the expansion. that's my point.

I didn't do a WoW rant. In fact I mentioned four different games, so maybe you're just so sensitive about that subject you're only seeing what you want to see. Let's simplify the conversation.

1. The expansion isn't worth it because fishing is pretty much a nothing feature and it's sold as a nothing feature.

2. Response: Sure but the game has no sub, the expansion is cheap and three big features are being added pre expansion that would have likely padded the expansion to at least acceptable levels. Anet chose not to do this.  This is a selling point. The game isn't expansion centric.

That's the whole conversation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Mounts are standard in almost every MMO I've played and they were introduced as a feature.  The point is it IS a feature. An expansion doesn't have to be groundbreaking or earthshaking to be something this game is missing that a lot of people want and quite a few have asked for.

But the point you seem to be making is that fishing isn't making me excited about the expansion because it's not exciting. Any other MMO company would have held over the three big news items for the expansion.  DX 11 update, bigger than fishing. WvW alliances bigger than fishing. Legendary armory, arguably bigger than fishing but we're getting them all in the months leading up to the expansion. that's my point.

I didn't do a WoW rant. In fact I mentioned four different games, so maybe you're just so sensitive about that subject you're only seeing what you want to see. Let's simplify the conversation.

1. The expansion isn't worth it because fishing is pretty much a nothing feature and it's sold as a nothing feature.

2. Response: Sure but the game has no sub, the expansion is cheap and three big features are being added pre expansion that would have likely padded the expansion to at least acceptable levels. Anet chose not to do this.  This is a selling point. The game isn't expansion centric.

That's the whole conversation. 

Lol, I was just pointing out fishing is niche. I haven't been offended by anything even remotely, but it seems like you might have more "passion" for this subject than I originally thought. You seem aggressive. The point I was making was this expansion feature isn't great for a huge portion of the community. I've also said I'm happy for those people, and I've never said I wasn't excited for EoD. I am done responding to you, though, since its apparent you're looking to argue.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Lol, I was just pointing out fishing is niche. I haven't been offended by anything even remotely, but it seems like you might have more "passion" for this subject than I originally thought. You seem aggressive. The point I was making was this expansion feature isn't great for a huge portion of the community. I've also said I'm happy for those people, and I've never said I wasn't excited for EoD. I am done responding to you, though, since its apparent you're looking to argue.

The entire thread is about the OP saying that fishing isn't exciting and it's a problem. If you post that it's niche, it can really only be in support of the OP unless you say it's not a problem. It's called context. This thread isn't about whether fishing is niche or not. It's about whether it's a problem that fishing in niche. And it's probably not going to be niche in this game. In this game raids are niche. In this game even PvP is niche.  I bet more people will fish that either raid or PvP and maybe even both combined.

If the OP of the thread made a topic about the issues with fishing being niche and you say what you said, any reasonable English speaker would interpret it the way I did. Shrugs.  Context is important.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

Just now, Vayne.8563 said:

The entire thread is about the OP saying that fishing isn't exciting and it's a problem. If you post that it's niche, it can really only be in support of the OP unless you say it's not a problem. It's called context. This thread isn't about whether fishing is niche or not. It's about whether it's a problem that fishing in niche. And it's probably not going to be niche in this game. In this game raids are niche. In this game even PvP is niche.  I bet more people will fish that either raid or PvP and maybe even both combined.

If the OP of the thread made a topic about the issues with fishing being niche and you say what you said, any reasonable English speaker would interpret it the way I did. Shrugs.

Nah, I quite often come out somewhere in the middle, and all I was doing was pointing out facts. You assumed a bunch of stuff, I would say mostly because something is frustrating you enough to be aggressive, and assume negativity. The only post that matters when I post is the one I'm replying to. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

28 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Nah, I quite often come out somewhere in the middle, and all I was doing was pointing out facts. You assumed a bunch of stuff, I would say mostly because something is frustrating you enough to be aggressive, and assume negativity. The only post that matters when I post is the one I'm replying to. 

Not really how communication works over all, but okay.  I'm not angry or frustrated because you came in in the middle of an argument saying something that's essentially not really on topic (the topic being that there's a problem with fishing being niche).  I think I'm likely not the only one who took what you said differently than how you meant it.

Edit: It's not even a fact that fishing is niche.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Vayne.8563 said:

If the OP of the thread made a topic about the issues with fishing being niche and you say what you said, any reasonable English speaker would interpret it the way I did. Shrugs.  Context is important.

Well thats a safe bet ofcourse more people will do spam button 2 and 3 to keep bloob in center of rectangle to catch fish type of content.

Compared to content that demand more then 2 buttons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well thats a safe bet ofcourse more people will do spam button 2 and 3 to keep bloob in center of rectangle to catch fish type of content.

Compared to content that demand more then 2 buttons.

It's not really a question of how hard content is. Sometimes it's a question of how profitable it is. There are a lot of people who just farm. They go and cut down trees, farm nodes. That's not really a niche activity. People farm for mats. It's not a new dungeon or fractal or raid, but I bet more people chop trees than raid or fractal or dungeon.

The point is, it's a new gathering profession and people do gather and some people even play to gather. They have gathering routes in Taco after all, someone must do it.  For those that play to casually make a profit, it's something you can do that you couldn't do before.  People will add it to their farming runs. 

I'm not the kind of guy who does farming runs, but when I pass nodes, I often gather them.  I'll fish too for the same reason. A new raid would be a huge banner piece for the new expansion and if Anet announced a new raid, you wouldn't hear most of this discontent... except more people will fish than will ever raid. 

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

Not really how communication works over all, but okay.  I'm not angry or frustrated because you came in in the middle of an argument saying something that's essentially not really on topic (the topic being that there's a problem with fishing being niche).  I think I'm likely not the only one who took what you said differently than how you meant it.

Edit: It's not even a fact that fishing is niche.

You should reread what I initially said in my first post. You mentioned the "fake content" arguement, and I expanded on that by saying niche content is less popular than main content for an MMO. I also said it isn't fake content, and I'm happy for the people getting it. All I said was it seems like major patch content, and you have taken to prove me wrong somehow, when nothing I said was even remotely inflammatory. You mentioned "real content," and I simply expanded on what the poster could have meant (simply interpretation, since I can't read their mind), and you took that as attack enough to sit here proving me wrong, when all I did was offer an expansion to a different point of view, while also agreeing with you. 

I'm also not sure how you can say you aren't mad, when in the same sentence you mention "coming into the middle of an arguement." You first response to me was throwing "to be fair" back in my face, as if I said it angrily (something else you assumed), and all of your responses since then have been aggressively negative towards me. Fishing is niche, but also very basic, and not something that should take months to program.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

You should reread what I initially said in my first post. You mentioned the "fake content" arguement, and I expanded on that by saying niche content is less popular than main content for an MMO. I also said it isn't fake content, and I'm happy for the people getting it. All I said was it seems like major patch content, and you have taken to prove me wrong somehow, when nothing I said was even remotely inflammatory. You mentioned "real content," and I simply expanded on what the poster could have meant (simply interpretation, since I can't read their mind), and you took that as attack enough to sit here proving me wrong, when all I did was offer an expansion to a different point of view, while also agreeing with you. 

I'm also not sure how you can say you aren't mad, when in the same sentence you mention "coming into the middle of an arguement." You first response to me was throwing "to be fair" back in my face, as if I said it angrily (something else you assumed), and all of your responses since then have been aggressively negative towards me. Fishing is niche, but also very basic, and not something that should take months to program.

Not going into the argument, but that last line..with GW2s code, it could very well take months to do. We know their code is a nightmare, and that is on them 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dante.1763 said:

Not going into the argument, but that last line..with GW2s code, it could very well take months to do. We know their code is a nightmare, and that is on them 100%.

Yeah, that could be. My whole point was to expand on what some people might mean when they say "real content," as I've seen this conversation in many games. I originally gave validation to both sides.

• Like 3

Company tries to sell you a new fridge with 25% more storage space but you would rather have a fridge with a built-in toaster because more space doesn’t sound exciting. Fishing is lame because it doesn’t sound as big or innovative as a new raid in marketing material.

It’s the same gripe that’s been occurring in the smartphone space for years; people would rather have an unnecessary form factor change than an incremental under-the-hood upgrade because the new shape feels like it’s a bigger feature. A numerical increase in some functionality is boring! They ignore the fact that after the novelty wears off, the boring feature is probably the one they’ll appreciate more.

I’ve never been in a raid, and I don’t begrudge anyone who has or wants more. But for those saying that raids are critical for EoD’s success, consider how many people there are like me who would never access the new raids but will fish. Not a sexy feature perhaps, but for us, a sexy feature we never experience is no feature at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Klowdy.3126 said:

Arguments can be intellectual, rather than emotional. Lawyers make arguments too. I argue with friends all the time about all sorts of stuff and I'm never mad about it. Sometimes it can get a bit intense, but it's just a debate among mates. I still call it an argument. In fact both sides are arguing their points. It doesn't have to make you angry.  I come from a family of debaters.

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

11 hours ago, Vayne.8563 said:

This is a good point.

Also, "Cantha!". A significant portion of the player base has been asking for a return to Cantha from pre-launch of GW2. In all this talk of "the only features are fishing and skiffs?!?" it's easy to forget that an expansion isn't just about (maybe not even primarily about?) new features. It's also about new content. New zones, new foes, new stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

it's easy to forget that an expansion isn't just about (maybe not even primarily about?) new features. It's also about new content. New zones, new foes, new stories.

I suspect that these threads aren’t created because people forgot, but because they are upset they didn’t get what they wanted. I’m guessing ANet is in the unfavourable position of not being able to reveal more about Cantha without spoilers, so they are pushing what they can. For every complaint, that complainer would probably be silent if they had been given their little cookie, “meaningful content” or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gibson.4036 said:

+1 Musicians playing on romantic gondola rides in the Orrian moonlight.

This reminds me of a video from Viva La Dirt League, where these people are on a date on a secluded beach. She starts to wonder how he managed to get the beach with no one on it, then she sees a bunch of ships amassing off shore. As she starts to freak out, mortars start hitting the beach, the whole time, the guy is acting like nothing is happening. 

I can see a romantic night cruise, serenading your love, while zombies and undead creations run along the shore chasing you, making horrible, demonic, undead sounds, lol. Then, you just like "Beautiful night. Wanna have a romantic slaughter fest, then head back to my home instance? Its fully stocked on nodes."

• Haha 2