New Elite spec

Sansar.1302

2 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

I see none of the 6 released elite specs got rifle so maby we get it, i realy hope it would be so atleast 🙂

I honestly don't know why people want a rifle on Ranger. It doesn't suit it, thematically (Ranger being Nature Magic and Martial weapons with NO technology), and what purpose would it serve that Ranger doesn't already have?

Unless it's a goddamn mortar like the engi elite kit, it would be pointless.

I believe we are getting Hammer this time 'round.

In that case, I hope it has ground targeted AoE, that is what Ranger is lacking.

Then we can start playing around with mechanics, like the skill set changes (like ele or revenant) whenever you swap pets and each pet archetype has different skill set. Just like Soulbeast there are condi pets which make the weapon do condi damage and there are defensive pets which can buff allies, or power skills or CC skills.

• Like 2

I realy hope not , never felt that druid where related to ranger.

And it could give the devs an option to give ranger a ranged weapons that can be strong  ( i belive the extra range on logbow is making the devs scared about buffing it eaven if it is totaly usless in wvw and pvp )

And it would make the ranger feel more like a hunter again ( in vannila gw2 it felt like a real ranged killer and that is 100% gone now and this could bring that play style back)

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sansar.1302 said:

I realy hope not , never felt that druid where related to ranger.

And it could give the devs an option to give ranger a ranged weapons that can be strong  ( i belive the extra range on logbow is making the devs scared about buffing it eaven if it is totaly usless in wvw and pvp )

And it would make the ranger feel more like a hunter again ( in vannila gw2 it felt like a real ranged killer and that is 100% gone now and this could bring that play style back)

Druid fits.

Longbow IS good in PvP and WvW, but suffers from being a projectile weapon in large scale fights - rifle would likely be the same.

Ranger isn't just a hunter, and that pew pew playstyle from ranged still works perfectly fine.

Hammer has already been leaked as the weapon we're getting.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

I see none of the 6 released elite specs got rifle so maby we get it, i realy hope it would be so atleast 🙂

As someone else already stated, the weapons for all elite specs were already datamined. Ranger isn't getting rifle, but hammer instead as it seems.

And small side note: one class getting a specific elite spec weapon means nothing for the other classes. There are many elite specs which shared the same weapon for each expansion, recent example are harbinger and bladesworn both getting pistols.

I personally think ranger won't ever get rifle as a weapon because of thematical reasons. The weapon is thematically associated with industrialisation, which most commonly is destructive towards nature. Thematical opposite of ranger, a class which is about preserving and protecting nature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

As someone else already stated, the weapons for all elite specs were already datamined. Ranger isn't getting rifle, but hammer instead as it seems.

And small side note: one class getting a specific elite spec weapon means nothing for the other classes. There are many elite specs which shared the same weapon for each expansion, recent example are harbinger and bladesworn both getting pistols.

I personally think ranger won't ever get rifle as a weapon because of thematical reasons. The weapon is thematically associated with industrialisation, which most commonly is destructive towards nature. Thematical opposite of ranger, a class which is about preserving and protecting nature.

None of this crap about "thematical" reasons makes any sense given that Guild Wars 2 already didn't even know what it wants to be to begin with. Not only that, but Hunters can still be ranged-based and nature-oriented if you look at games like WoW for example, and even in our own history there are Woodsman or Hunters that have used guns and respected nature. Plus we already do have Ranger characters/NPCs in the game that use rifles anyway, and Rangers already have harpoon guns as an underwater weapon so it already makes no sense for them NOT to have rifles too.

However despite all that, Ranger IS NOT getting Rifle this expansion, if you've seen the leaks they are getting Hammer and these leaks are accurate since they've gotten all of the other ones right as well. But I can also see why they haven't given Ranger rifle since it already has short and long bows though, so they'd need to make it somewhat similar to Deadeye or somewhat similar to Warrior's rifle, possibly a mix of both of those as well.

Edited by ShadeOfEclipse.8931
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Xanhawk.3806 said:

Druid's splash art doesn't have pets either.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/8/8c/Spec_image_Druid.jpg

Fair point, so pet could still be on the table.

But druid was initially designed to get the soulbeasts merge ability but wasnt up to par technically. So it may be the splashart is as old as the first design idea. 

But still, pet is not off the table yet.

Edited by InsaneQR.7412

3 hours ago, InsaneQR.7412 said:

air point, so pet could still be on the table.

But druid was initially designed to get the soulbeasts merge ability but wasnt up to par technically. So it may be the splashart is as old as the first design idea. 

But still, pet is not off the table yet.

Also noticed that there’s not really *anything* to hint at a potential mechanic. Like Virtuoso had the floating daggers, Harbinger elixirs, Catalyst sphere. Not seeing anything like that in this teaser.

Soulbeast did show the pet, but it was also in a spirit/soul form I’m thinking to show that Soulbeast/merging concept.

If there is a mechanics/skill teaser in the image, the boots don’t look like something I recognize. I’m not sure if that would be the elite armor piece, since it’s always been either a shoulder, head, or hands piece for every elite spec in the past and all the ones so far. It does look really “bestial” or “creature feet”, so maybe hinting at some partial transformation mechanic (Shroud, Berserk, Holoforge, etc).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexndrTheGreat.8310 said:

Also noticed that there’s not really *anything* to hint at a potential mechanic. Like Virtuoso had the floating daggers, Harbinger elixirs, Catalyst sphere. Not seeing anything like that in this teaser.

Soulbeast did show the pet, but it was also in a spirit/soul form I’m thinking to show that Soulbeast/merging concept.

If there is a mechanics/skill teaser in the image, the boots don’t look like something I recognize. I’m not sure if that would be the elite armor piece, since it’s always been either a shoulder, head, or hands piece for every elite spec in the past and all the ones so far. It does look really “bestial” or “creature feet”, so maybe hinting at some partial transformation mechanic (Shroud, Berserk, Holoforge, etc).

I think the boots are just the warbeast boots. Wouldn't read so much into them.

• Like 4

This looks like it could be a new protector of the forest. Wardens have gone extinct and the kurzicks have taken over as envoys to the forest spirit. I could see the hammer being made of amber and the profession having a much more earthly feel to it than plants. If you think of how the echovald forest is in the present you see the forest adapted to the petrification and I imagine this spec would have similar themes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sansar.1302 said:

No 😞 and it seams nature teamed like the other 2 elite specs 😞

and yes long bow is usless in wvw and spvp, think it is about half a year since i lost to a long bow range 1v1 ( and that where a soul beast sick em snipper that supprised me )

Lol. No, just no.

Longbow is a top tier weapon 1v1 in WvW and a decent weapon in PvP. Period. Only skill 5 needs some tweaks  (cast. time reduction) but even then it's still somewhat decent.

Now on topic:

Hammer it is. If it tries to mimmick the famous GW1 'bunny thumper' spec in any way, it's going to have very fast attack and movement speed with decent CC uptime and a strong focus on damage alongside the pet. So it could potentially have very high quickness and superspeed uptime with very strong pets. It could even borrow the adrenaline mechanic from warriors (similar to Astral Force from druid) to perform a strong skill in unison with the pet.

Edited by Khenzy.9348
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hash.8462 said:

At the end of Shing Jea Island video ANet showed the "darkened" image of the New Elite Spec for Ranger, as already said he will use hammer of course.

I suppose the icon of the spec is the one that resemble an animal (bunny?) so I agree with the Bunny Thumper theory.

It appears very "leafy". Maybe utilising vines for lockdown?

5 hours ago, Sansar.1302 said:

No 😞 and it seams nature teamed like the other 2 elite specs 😞

and yes long bow is usless in wvw and spvp, think it is about half a year since i lost to a long bow range 1v1 ( and that where a soul beast sick em snipper that supprised me )

Well, of course it is nature themed? It is a ranger spec, ranger's entire thematical shtick is nature.

What else do you expect it to be themed after? That's like wondering that an ele spec is elemental magic themed or an engineer being technology themed. All ranger specs will be nature themed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corthyll.7635 said:

It appears very "leafy". Maybe utilising vines for lockdown?

That would be so original... Think about catalyst... Yep you're probably spot on!

Ranger will probably get something inspired by this:

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Warden

The mysterious and ancient Wardens guard the areas of Cantha hit hardest by Shiro’s legacy. Protectors of the Echovald that was, they now guard the petrified forest it has become. They may once have been human, perhaps powerful druids or holy men, but they long ago merged with the spirit they served to become something altogether different.

Druid merge with the "astral", Soulbeast merge with the pet and the next e-spec merge with "nature spirits"? Would they twist this and make the pets merge with the spirits to "become something altogether"?

1 hour ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Druid merge with the "astral", Soulbeast merge with the pet and the next e-spec merge with "nature spirits"? Would they twist this and make the pets merge with the spirits to "become something altogether"?

What if they become Kurzick Juggernauts?

Basically the opposite of bunny thumper 😅 tanky and slow.

Edited by hash.8462

On 10/8/2021 at 1:49 PM, ShadeOfEclipse.8931 said:

already have harpoon guns as an underwater weapon so it already makes no sense for them NOT to have rifles too.

The only thing relating the harpoon gun to a firearms is the fact that "gun" is a part of the name. It's all animal and spear based.

It makes perfect sense to not have rifle, both thematically and because longbow and shortbow exist. The alternative to harpoon gun would be a trident, which can work on ranger, but they way ranger uses harpoon gun in GW2 fits the overall theme of the class. It doesn't fire off literal bombs like the engie harpoon gun.

Edited by Lazze.9870

14 minutes ago, Lazze.9870 said:

The only thing relating the harpoon gun to a firearms is the fact that "gun" is a part of the name. It's all animal and spear based.

It makes perfect sense to not have rifle, both thematically and because longbow and shortbow exist. The alternative to harpoon gun would be a trident, which can work on ranger, but they way ranger uses harpoon gun in GW2 fits the overall theme of the class. It doesn't fire off literal bombs like the engie harpoon gun.

Once again, it still makes no sense to talk about thematical anything when it comes to GW2 when it constantly contradicts it's own themes most of the time and doesn't know what it wants to be. If Rangers can't get rifles then they shouldn't get harpoon guns since those are "industrialized" weapons too, and if Rangers can get harpoon guns then every other class should get them too using that same logic. Even more against guns for other classes would be Mesmers having pistols for some reason, and Necromancers also getting a pistol spec this upcoming expansion, and both of those don't really fit the class fantasy at all. The same reason why Necromancers with pistols and Rangers with rifles makes any thematic sense at all is due to alternative unique playstyles to allow the player to diversify their character from the basic profession, and I really feel like if they wanted to give Ranger rifles, then they'd most likely have to make it a very western/cowboy-esque elite spec or a typical hunter like some of the NPCs in the game.

However the only real reason WHY they shouldn't it because of longbow and shortbow for Ranger already fits that niche pretty closely unless they decide to do something unique or crazy like Bladesworn with off-hand pistols, that I won't argue against.

But really, what other weapons could they honestly add next if not rifles realistically? I have thought of this before and I'm not seeing very many viable options there besides that one in all fairness.

• Like 2