Specter is what Chrono wish it was.

SkinnyT.5382

I mean, am I wrong?

Right from the get go , it starts off with 5 shroud skills, plus 4 more for the scepter because it changes based on offhand. So just the regular combat bar already has 4 times more skills than the chrono, not counting the skills that change if you use it on an ally.

Then we move to wells which work the same, but feel like they have not only more utility but also direct mobility. One of the traits even allows them to grant alacrity through the wells. Chronos can't even do that anymore.

Then we go to the ability to actually directly support allies.

Even the scepter animations are almost identical to the Mesmer.

I'm here watching the the e-specs preview, and I thinking "Did anet just take all the things that people have been asking for the chronomancer and just put it on the thief's new e-spec?". Seems like anything Chrono can do, Specter can do better, so why play chrono anymore? For the self alacrity? Please. With the Virtuoso coming out as an actually unique version of the mesmer,  and the Specter as an actual support class, I can't see myself ever touching the Chrono again. Can you?

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I mean, am I wrong?

Right from the get go , it starts off with 5 shroud skills, plus 4 more for the scepter because it changes based on offhand. So just the regular combat bar already has 4 times more skills than the chrono, not counting the skills that change if you use it on an ally.

Then we move to wells which work the same, but feel like they have not only more utility but also direct mobility. One of the traits even allows them to grant alacrity through the wells. Chronos can't even do that anymore.

I'm here watching the the e-specs preview, and I thinking "Did anet just take all the things that people have been asking for the chronomancer and just put it on the thief's new e-spec?". Seems like anything Chrono can do, Specter can do better, so why play chrono anymore? For the self alacrity? Please. With the Virtuoso coming out as an actually unique version of the mesmer,  and the Specter as an actual support class, I can't see myself ever touching the Chrono again. Can you?

Specter can't share quickness very well. And skills like https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Well_of_Bounty benefit tremendously from boon extension.

In raids at least you would probably want to play a specter with a chrono not in lieu of. 

Edit:

Also its shroud and weapon skills are resource gated. Not sure where you are getting x4 skills. It can't be in shroud all the time. And when it is those skills replace others.

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I mean, am I wrong?

5 weapon skills, your forgetting the stealth attack.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure alacrity on wells will get nerf, among other things. Cause the only thing that gets nerfed as much as a mesmer is a thief.

Edited by BobbyT.7192
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Levetty.1279 said:

Just found out Specter gets a skill that provides every boon in the game aoe on a 20 second cooldown 

People still claim Anet shows favoritism to Mesmer.

And you know what a skill that does that goes extremely well with? 

A skill that extends every boon on a person. Not everything is a direct threat to Mesmer. Instead you could make friends with a thief and together near perma all the boons. 

Edited by Daniel Handler.4816
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Levetty.1279 said:

Good idea. You start by going back to their forums.

Have you ever been portaled into a keep by a perma stealthing thief, and then you portaled in an entire zerg? 

Sometimes abilities that seem redundant are actually complementary. But if you want to be competitive about everything, we are still one of two classes that can 10 man alacrity. And the only one that can 10 man quickness. 

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

And you know what a skill that does that goes extremely well with? 

A skill that extends every boon on a person. Not everything is a direct threat to Mesmer. Instead you could make friends with a thief and together near perma all the boons. 

Do remember that SoI old active effect was given to the Harbingers which to this day makes no sense to me. I would’ve rather keep our old SoI then be able to extend by a measly 2seconds.

Regardless, that boon share Harbinger trait will likely get the same treatment as SoI and just extend boons instead of copy them. I see no fairness in nerfing and giving our stuff to other elite specs all because Anet and everyone else doesn’t want Mesmers to be viable.

Edited by Tseison.4659
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Well... Chrono is a 2015 spec while specter is a 2022 spec, In 7 years it seem the devs have become bolder in the change they bring with new some e-specs (for other they just seem to lack inspiration).

True, but the job of a dev team is to no only come up with new ideas, but also addressing existing problems. If a spec has been nerved to the point of being  lack luster, It's their responsibility to makes the changes necessary to bring it back to viability. Even if that mean an overhaul.

14 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

So sad that people haven't figured out they can play other classes if they see playstyles they like. 

Perhaps I didn't convey the point  as clearly as I could but, it's not about not wanting to play other classes. I do have one of each profession for this exactly reason. The Specter looks like it will be really fun to play and I'm excited about that.

The point is that the Chrono have gotten nothing-but nerfs since it was released, to the point if it being dull in comparison to other specs. When you focus solely at the Mesmer profession, Chrono has nothing special that only it does, other than giving itself alacrity on shatters. Virtuoso will have lots of ground target aoe, as well as unique shatters (no need for wells). Mirage has great condi spreading, with unique change to all #1 weapon skills (more skills and variety). Even base Mesmer can have great shatter focused game play. Chrono has alacrity. That's not a unique feature, that's a boon. One which many other specs now also have and can give not only to themselves but other people around them.

All the suggestions, requests, and ideas people had for the Chrono over the years seem to have been compiled and put on another spec all together. That it self is fine; that specs looks fun to play. But when you take all that the Chrono could be, its' whole theme basically, and place it elsewhere, what is there left for the Chrono? When I'm playing my mesmer why would I pick Chrono as oppose to base mesmer or other specs? Where doesn't the Chronomancer Elite Spec fit in the game anymore?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Specter can't share quickness very well. And skills like https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Well_of_Bounty benefit tremendously from boon extension.

In raids at least you would probably want to play a specter with a chrono not in lieu of. 

Edit:

Also its shroud and weapon skills are resource gated. Not sure where you are getting x4 skills. It can't be in shroud all the time. And when it is those skills replace others.

Even if they can't use the skills all the time, they still have access to those skills. And sure they can't share quickness but they share everything else.

The point is that the chrono right now is plain and limited. What is the special part of the Chrnomancer elite specialization anymore???

29 minutes ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

True, but the job of a dev team is to no only come up with new ideas, but also addressing existing problems. If a spec has been nerved to the point of being  lack luster, It's their responsibility to makes the changes necessary to bring it back to viability. Even if that mean an overhaul.

I think it's a bit more complicated than: "Make it viable!"

Historically chronomancer was more than viable and the reason it was made less viable as a support was because it didn't leave room for other (guardian/revenant) to express themself. Also, right now, Chrono is viable as a DPS and the only thing it lack as a DPS is the little extra that would make people smile when he is in the group.

Thus, what you want isn't chrono to be "viable" but chrono to be "sought out" by other (which is not something that's high on the priority of the devs when they are on the verge of releasing a new batch of elite specs that they want players to look for).

NB.: I think you could make Chrono be sought out again as a support by simply giving All's well that ends well a 20% CD reduction on the wells.

1 hour ago, SkinnyT.5382 said:

When I'm playing my mesmer why would I pick Chrono as oppose to base mesmer or other specs? Where doesn't the Chronomancer Elite Spec fit in the game anymore?

I think it's necessary to be more woke to the fact that specs are flavours. It's not about where it fits, it's about offering different playstyles. That's only going to get MORE true as we continue to get more especs.

Basically, if you don't see a fit for an espec based on your criteria to choose it, that's not a problem with the spec and certainly doesn't indicate a need to change it. It's not even a problem that needs to be fixed. It's simply a result of the increasing number of specs being released and how they will inevitably overlap in function. 

Really, the players that win in this environment are the ones that choose class because they simply like it; the players that embrace the concept of the game and the reasons we have these specs in the first place. The ones that suffer the most are the ones that think Anet is making specs for 'roles'.  When someone's perception doesn't match the reality, then it's not a surprise it appears wrong to them. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 6

What an absolute joke and and another slap to the face of mesmers. Most of the chono wells were garbage for the past 6 years, especially with their trait with that heals, but thieves get handed alacrity for theirs. Look at that, the actual spec that deals with time doesn't even get the best access of it! Oh yeah and just hand out another gravity well while you're at it lol. Chrono boon sharing was such a terrible thing it got nerfed multiple times, but hey lets give thieves a well that pulsing boons you don't have! lets give harbinger an elite skill that spams all boons!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

I think it's necessary to be more woke to the fact that specs are flavours. It's not about where it fits, it's about offering different playstyles. That's only going to get MORE true as we continue to get more especs.

Basically, if you don't see a fit for an espec based on your criteria to choose it, that's not a problem with the spec and certainly doesn't indicate a need to change it. It's not even a problem that needs to be fixed. It's simply a result of the increasing number of specs being released and how they will inevitably overlap in function. 

Really, the players that win in this environment are the ones that choose class because they simply like it; the players that embrace the concept of the game and the reasons we have these specs in the first place. The ones that suffer the most are the ones that think Anet is making specs for 'roles'.  When someone's perception doesn't match the reality, then it's not a surprise it appears wrong to them. 

I'm not expecting the chrono to fit a specific role, and being upset that it doesn't. Whether is condi, damage, support or whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm saying that against other specs it doesn't stand out in any particular unique way. Specially against the new Specter spec which is basically the thief version of the Chronomancer. I fully understand that the e-specs are meant to provide players with a different way to play a profession. But when it comes to Mesmer flavours, as you called them, Chronomancer just tastes like unseasoned chicken.

Just now, SkinnyT.5382 said:

I'm not expecting the chrono to fit a specific role, and being upset that it doesn't. Whether is condi, damage, support or whatever, it doesn't matter. I'm saying that against other specs it doesn't stand out in any particular unique way. Specially against the new Specter spec which is basically the thief version of the Chronomancer. I fully understand that the e-specs are meant to provide players with a different way to play a profession. But when it comes to Mesmer flavours, as you called them, Chronomancer just tastes like unseasoned chicken.

Right, that's not a problem though. The point isn't to stand out in a unique way against other specs. 

• Confused 8

On 10/24/2021 at 4:14 AM, SkinnyT.5382 said:

Perhaps I didn't convey the point  as clearly as I could but, it's not about not wanting to play other classes. I do have one of each profession for this exactly reason. The Specter looks like it will be really fun to play and I'm excited about that.

The point is that the Chrono have gotten nothing-but nerfs since it was released, to the point if it being dull in comparison to other specs. When you focus solely at the Mesmer profession, Chrono has nothing special that only it does, other than giving itself alacrity on shatters. Virtuoso will have lots of ground target aoe, as well as unique shatters (no need for wells). Mirage has great condi spreading, with unique change to all #1 weapon skills (more skills and variety). Even base Mesmer can have great shatter focused game play. Chrono has alacrity. That's not a unique feature, that's a boon. One which many other specs now also have and can give not only to themselves but other people around them.

All the suggestions, requests, and ideas people had for the Chrono over the years seem to have been compiled and put on another spec all together. That it self is fine; that specs looks fun to play. But when you take all that the Chrono could be, its' whole theme basically, and place it elsewhere, what is there left for the Chrono? When I'm playing my mesmer why would I pick Chrono as oppose to base mesmer or other specs? Where doesn't the Chronomancer Elite Spec fit in the game anymore?

Chrono should be able to share both quickness and alacrity on shatter, I think that would fix the spec. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:02 AM, Obtena.7952 said:

So sad that people haven't figured out they can play other classes if they see playstyles being offered in the especs they like. That's why they exist you know. 

Its so sad comments like this are made in a thread where people are passionate about their class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

Its so sad comments like this are made in a thread where people are passionate about their class. 

It's not sad, it's reality ... there are LOTS of reasons to play a class and lots of different things various classes can do. Sometimes personal criteria to choose a class don't all add up for a class you are passionate about.  That's not a problem Anet has to fix but implementing the class the way you want it. 

Put it this way ... if Specter is the class that meets a person's criteria "because it's what someone things Chrono should be" ... that's not going to be a compelling reason for Anet to change Chrono now is it. Sounds more like a reason for someone to play it and enjoy it.

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7

23 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

It's not sad, it's reality ... there are LOTS of reasons to play a class and lots of different things various classes can do. Sometimes personal criteria to choose a class don't all add up for a class you are passionate about.  That's not a problem Anet has to fix but implementing the class the way you want it. 

Put it this way ... if Specter is the class that meets a person's criteria "because it's what someone things Chrono should be" ... that's not going to be a compelling reason for Anet to change Chrono now is it. Sounds more like a reason for someone to play it and enjoy it.

Again you are missing the point and trying to pick something to argue and comment like nearly every post you have made across ALL platforms. 

People like me personally played GW2 because of Mesmer being such a unique class that I can very well say no other MMO has this doesn't mean I don't play other classes as well just Mesmer is my pick and which I stuck to the longest with the most hours and experience, this is called my "main". When specter is being compared to Chrono its the comparison of why is Chrono kitten out of their skills and giving it to another spec and doing it better does not mean that oh I should jump ship and just play specter instead. 

If everyone has the mentality of you jumping ship to another class, then you will be seeing only specters or w/e flavor of the month/year that is provided.

There is a difference between personal criteria vs what was given taken and given to another class and performing better. Its like it was "problematic so we had to nerf for one spec" but then giving it another spec and allowing them to utilize it better. 

Edited by Salt Mode.3780
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Salt Mode.3780 said:

There is a difference between personal criteria vs what was given taken and given to another class and performing better.  

Actually, no, it's all related. If Specter is MORE like how you want to play and the Specter does some things the best  is your primary criteria for choosing a class, that doesn't mean Chrono should be more like Specter.  It means you should give Specter a go, as INTENDED by the fact Anet creates diversity between classes and gives us choice. 

There is NO rational argument for how Chrono should be because Specter does what you think Chrono should do. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Confused 7