The 300s CD skills are not going to be fixed

Telgum.6071

Only reason i could give for this is if the they were designing these elite specs at the same time the 300 update happen.

edit: this should be posted in the profession forum, and maybe pvp/wvw too. More eyes need to see this.

Edited by BobbyT.7192
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

Who actually said that they were placeholders to be reworked at a later date? was that devs, or something on forums? It's been long enough since they upped the cooldown to 300s to see that this is clearly their intention at any rate.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/67425-defense-line-looks-very-weak-after-the-balance-patch/?tab=comments#comment-1079385

This is all I have about it, which still isn't the source, but a claim about the source. Take it as you want 😛  One way or another, if they are literally implementing new trait/s with 300s cd, it doesn't look good for the old 300cd traits.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Sobx.1758 said:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/67425-defense-line-looks-very-weak-after-the-balance-patch/?tab=comments#comment-1079385

This is all I have about it, which still isn't the source, but a claim about the source. Take it as you want 😛  One way or another, if they are literally implementing new trait/s with 300s cd, it doesn't look good for the old 300cd traits.

It was mentioned in the patch notes when they rolled out the first wave of 300s 🐶💩. Along with revisiting the cc damage nerfs.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
  • Like 1

If they don’t have the resources or wherewithal to design new active traits, I just wish they’d do a pass and lower every 300s CD trait to 120s. Literally nothing gamebreaking would come if it, it would take almost no effort, and a lot of traits/lines would become a lot more usable.

It would not be the perfect solution, but it would certainly be an easy improvement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Brian.5324 said:

If they don’t have the resources or wherewithal to design new active traits, I just wish they’d do a pass and lower every 300s CD trait to 120s. Literally nothing gamebreaking would come if it, it would take almost no effort, and a lot of traits/lines would become a lot more usable.

It would not be the perfect solution, but it would certainly be an easy improvement.

There would be nothing game breaking if their CDs were 60s.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

After all this time it was just a bit clear, but now taking a look at the Specter traits...

https://imgur.com/OBOML1Z

It seems we are doomed to traits that only have one use every fight or every two or three fights.

I don't see the problem with that.

I actually like the idea of certain skills or abilities that are so exceptionally powerful they can only be used once per fight.

That said though, on traits it's a little wasteful since you're basically sacrificing a useful trait for a one time effect.
However your choice to use those traits is a factor so "take at your own risk" does come into play there.
Perhaps they should also get a small permanent effect as well like a stat boost or something.

One thing I would like to see come into play for cooldown timers, at least for the very long ones is an out of combat bonus.
They should recharge quicker when the player is out of combat, at least in the open world and WvW anyway.

Edited by Teratus.2859
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I don't see the problem with that.

I actually like the idea of certain skills or abilities that are so exceptionally powerful they can only be used once per fight.

That said though, on traits it's a little wasteful since you're basically sacrificing a useful trait for a one time effect.
However your choice to use those traits is a factor so "take at your own risk" does come into play there.
Perhaps they should also get a small permanent effect as well like a stat boost or something.

One thing I would like to see come into play for cooldown timers, at least for the very long ones is an out of combat bonus.
They should recharge quicker when the player is out of combat, at least in the open world and WvW anyway.

2 seconds of evade once in a pvp match that you don't exactly have control over is not what I call "exceptionally powerful"

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BobbyT.7192 said:

2 seconds of evade once in a pvp match that you don't exactly have control over is not what I call "exceptionally powerful"

Naturally, I'd change that to gain Vigor and remove the large CD so it wouldn't count.

When I say exceptionally powerful im referring to the trait listed in the OP's post.
Some of these big CD traits do need to be relooked at and modified.

On 10/27/2021 at 12:50 PM, Telgum.6071 said:

It seems we are doomed to traits that only have one use every fight or every two or three fights.

One use every fight is a bit (very) optimistic, at 300s CD that's one, two, at most three activations a match.

They'd be better at 60s as others have said and then 90s for the handful of ones that really provide a lot while active.

Edited by Drakonhammer.2148

9 hours ago, Katary.7096 said:

So as far as Spvp is concerned, Specter will launch with 2 major adept traits instead of 3? Interesting move on Arenanet's part. Probably wouldn't have gone for that myself.

As far as specter is concerned, I'd want to know whether the 300s cooldown is seperate for each effect or singular for either effect. If it functions like Lock On and gives two effects with seperate cooldowns, it may still be worth using in sPvP because the impact off the trait is so huge. That said, the cooldown being only a few minutes shy of the length of the average sPvP match is still probably gonna kill the trait in that mode. 

Edit - Thinking about it, the actual cheat death mechanics like this, the berserker trait, the soulbeast trait and and the core necro trait probably need this sort of cooldown, but if defensive traits that help you out but don't straight up cheat death like passive stone signet/endure pain/instant reflexes were 60-120s, that would seem fair. 

Edited by Jugglemonkey.8741
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Naturally, I'd change that to gain Vigor and remove the large CD so it wouldn't count.

When I say exceptionally powerful im referring to the trait listed in the OP's post.

Way back in Age of Conan and other games like SWG I'd have some kind of super elite skill that had a long cooldown. They were designed to be used as like the big finish once per a fight. They were almost never used, partly because people want to use what they have at least some instead of just having it take up a slot (It's also just not on your mind because it's never a factor, even shortly after you finally remember to use it once). I haven't seen that kind of elite reserved skill being any significant aspect of any build in any game in all this time.

I have an elite skill. It's really good so I sit on it for the clutch move. I keep sitting on it because why use it on this kind of strong player who's wrecking us and we really need to deal with when I might really really have to use it on someone even more dangerous in a minute, or on that upcoming boss phase with adds?

I'd make the effort to manage a skill set or resource building that could possibly take a long time to build for a big payoff because that would regulate the elite skill but also allow it's use in key moments if I've managed everything competently. That specter trait is wasted at 300 sec. Any encounter or fight you'd need that you'd also need it to have ammo or a troubleshooting second use.

Edited by kash.9213

10 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

The trait the OP posted isn't that powerful. Necro's Unholy Sanctuary does essentially the same thing at 120 second CD, Tempest elite skill does the same thing on an aoe and it's 75 second cooldown.

None of the 300 second cooldown traits are powerful enough to justify 300 second cooldown, there's a reason why none of them are taken in pvp.

15 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

Way back in Age of Conan and other games like SWG I'd have some kind of super elite skill that had a long cooldown. They were designed to be used as like the big finish once per a fight. They were almost never used, partly because people want to use what they have at least some instead of just having it take up a slot (It's also just not on your mind because it's never a factor, even shortly after you finally remember to use it once). I haven't seen that kind of elite reserved skill being any significant aspect of any build in any game in all this time.

I have an elite skill. It's really good so I sit on it for the clutch move. I keep sitting on it because why use it on this kind of strong player who's wrecking us and we really need to deal with when I might really really have to use it on someone even more dangerous in a minute, or on that upcoming boss phase with adds?

I'd make the effort to manage a skill set or resource building that could possibly take a long time to build for a big payoff because that would regulate the elite skill but also allow it's use in key moments if I've managed everything competently. That specter trait is wasted at 300 sec. Any encounter or fight you'd need that you'd also need it to have ammo or a troubleshooting second use.

Elite skills were supposed to function like that in Gw2 as well but I think we can all agree that none of them are actually good enough to warrant that kind of CD either.
90 seconds on some feel a bit too much at times.

I don't think it works so good on active skills, but traits..  especially defensive traits it can work on.

15 hours ago, Hirosama Nadasaki.6792 said:

The trait the OP posted isn't that powerful. Necro's Unholy Sanctuary does essentially the same thing at 120 second CD, Tempest elite skill does the same thing on an aoe and it's 75 second cooldown.

None of the 300 second cooldown traits are powerful enough to justify 300 second cooldown, there's a reason why none of them are taken in pvp.

Then make them more powerful, and Unholy Sanctuary should be 300 seconds if you ask me.
Any trait that cancels a death should have a big CD.

• Like 1