So What Elite Spec you want next?

EdwinLi.1284

11 minutes ago, SeTect.5918 said:

I think trick arrows are already thieves thing. Even their shortbow auto attack is called "Trick Shot".
They also have explosion on shortbow 2 and so on.
So imo thats somehow already the green arrow/hawkeye thing.

Trick shots and trick arrows aren't really the same thing. Cluster Bomb and Choking Gas do qualify, but they're still essentially special-forces type 'use the bow as a low-tech grenade launcher' type abilities. I think there is room for engineer to just go the whole hog with crazy arrows.

Edited by draxynnic.3719

1 hour ago, SeTect.5918 said:

I think trick arrows are already thieves thing. Even their shortbow auto attack is called "Trick Shot".
They also have explosion on shortbow 2 and so on.
So imo thats somehow already the green arrow/hawkeye thing.

I still think there's room to expand on that with a full bar of quirky arrow types, including tether, sticky, shock, etc.

And you could then thematically pair it up with a deployable siege arbalest to be customized by the grandmaster trait. Trait 1 - Give it wheels to ride it around and enable close-range targeting. Trait 2 - Install a golem to autofire it as a stationary siege turret. Trait 3 - Extend range and damage for the stationary siege mode working more like the old mortar kit.

2 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Trick shots and trick arrows aren't really the same thing. Cluster Bomb and Choking Gas do qualify, but they're still essentially special-forces type 'use the bow as a low-tech grenade launcher' type abilities. I think there is room for engineer to just go the whole hog with crazy arrows.

1 hour ago, Duke Blackrose.4981 said:

I still think there's room to expand on that with a full bar of quirky arrow types, including tether, sticky, shock, etc.

And you could then thematically pair it up with a deployable siege arbalest to be customized by the grandmaster trait. Trait 1 - Give it wheels to ride it around and enable close-range targeting. Trait 2 - Install a golem to autofire it as a stationary siege turret. Trait 3 - Extend range and damage for the stationary siege mode working more like the old mortar kit.

Yea that would be nice for sure and engi is a class where u can do a lot with anyway if you have a bit imagination but I have fear that it would end like thief shortbow xD
But if built enough around it with traits and so on that can be surely nice.

Especially engi is a class which u can build around marvel/dc characters.

There are a lot characters where u could identify engi with.

Iron man (Marvel)
The Arkham Knight (DC)
Batman (DC)
Deadshot (DC)
Catwoman (DC)
Black Panther (Marvel)
Star-Lord (Marvel)
Deathstroke (DC)
Joker (DC)

If you think about it, lots of characters make big use out of technology and that fits perfectly to engineer.

Tbh I was never a big fan of cosplaying something or whatever but a reason why i was against the mech/minion/golem thing of engi is bc there are so many things to do and it was simply golem that we got which i find a bit boring.
For example something like you wanted with the green arrow / hawkeye thing would be far cooler IMO.

Not saying that the mech we got is terrible, the animations and so on are rly nice but 4real there were 1000 other things to do and the last thing i wanted for my condi engi was a pet.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 1

Chemist

Lore: Asura research team and Hylek expert have developed a new capable poison delivery system, a Shortbow using vial of glass to deliver poisons and other such things straight to the foes

Weapon: Short Bow (Condi Ranged)

Profession Ability: F5 become a kit/shroud based on poisonous gas

Skills: Poisons or traps

Spider/

Lore: Via Aetherblade stolen technology the Charr have developed a powered backpack with Mecha-dendrites

Weapon: Axe/Axe (Balanced)

Profession: No idea

Skill: "Mecha-dendrites", work like kit but instead of changing your weapon skill they change you Toolbelt (Health: Repair kit, Blades, Thruster/Flyer, Elite: Guns)

3 hours ago, Dawanarth.4601 said:

Chemist

Lore: Asura research team and Hylek expert have developed a new capable poison delivery system, a Shortbow using vial of glass to deliver poisons and other such things straight to the foes

Weapon: Short Bow (Condi Ranged)

Profession Ability: F5 become a kit/shroud based on poisonous gas

Skills: Poisons or traps

Spider/

Lore: Via Aetherblade stolen technology the Charr have developed a powered backpack with Mecha-dendrites

Weapon: Axe/Axe (Balanced)

Profession: No idea

Skill: "Mecha-dendrites", work like kit but instead of changing your weapon skill they change you Toolbelt (Health: Repair kit, Blades, Thruster/Flyer, Elite: Guns)

Hm, considering that we have quite some elite specs which are pretty close to Asura tech already, I would prefer to tie the lore of a chemist elite spec to Sylvari instead.

Sylvari and Hylek could have a similar understanding of alchemy. Hylek are incredible alchemists because of their natural resistance against toxins, which allowed them to experiment with dangerous chemicals more easily. Sylvari can be similar, since they are plants. Hell, as plant people, maybe some Sylvari are even able to extract toxins directly from their own body.

And many Sylvari have shown quite alot of interest in the advancements of the engineer class. Just look at famous Sylvari engineers like Scarlet Briar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Hm, considering that we have quite some elite specs which are pretty close to Asura tech already, I would prefer to tie the lore of a chemist elite spec to Sylvari instead.

Sylvari and Hylek could have a similar understanding of alchemy. Hylek are incredible alchemists because of their natural resistance against toxins, which allowed them to experiment with dangerous chemicals more easily. Sylvari can be similar, since they are plants. Hell, as plant people, maybe some Sylvari are even able to extract toxins directly from their own body.

And many Sylvari have shown quite alot of interest in the advancements of the engineer class. Just look at famous Sylvari engineers like Scarlet Briar.

Wasn't there something said back in the day about how sylvari engineers might have their own unique alchemy (including variant flamethrower fuels and so on, not just elixirs) due to their ability to manipulate plants?

9 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Wasn't there something said back in the day about how sylvari engineers might have their own unique alchemy (including variant flamethrower fuels and so on, not just elixirs) due to their ability to manipulate plants?

Can be, I don't remember something like that. But if that's true, even better reason to tie a chemist elite spec for the engineer to Sylvari, it just would make so much sense!

Greatsword,

As the theme goes, inspired by Heimdall's Bifrost sword, Fractals of the Mists DC's mirror master and marvel's dr strange. 

I can't really think of a bespoke class mechanic for this theme so it's just the vibe.

colourful, fractured glass and crystal.

Main role, utility, cc, damage 

Lots of teleportations and Super speed, literally

Cast Mirror: ground target attack, clones friendly players and self that stand next to it, and makes them appear from the other side of the mirror as clone (1 per player up to X amount of friendlies). Applies torment for the enemies and reflects projectiles.

Fracture: Cover enemies with glass, this glass will shatter and damage enemy in X amout of time, if you break the glass before this timer, other enemies surrounding them will recieve splash damage instead.

Bend reality: ground target blind, torment, knockdown. cast portal below and above of your target, makes them fall twice and hit the ground. a nice post processing effect with this skill would make it really cool.

Elite

Crystal armour: gain access to various damage dealing skills like, glass rain, rend, trap, caltrops v2, all kinds of condi friendly crystal themed stuff.

5 hours ago, artharon.9276 said:

Greatsword,

As the theme goes, inspired by Heimdall's Bifrost sword, Fractals of the Mists DC's mirror master and marvel's dr strange. 

I can't really think of a bespoke class mechanic for this theme so it's just the vibe.

colourful, fractured glass and crystal.

Main role, utility, cc, damage 

Lots of teleportations and Super speed, literally

Cast Mirror: ground target attack, clones friendly players and self that stand next to it, and makes them appear from the other side of the mirror as clone (1 per player up to X amount of friendlies). Applies torment for the enemies and reflects projectiles.

Fracture: Cover enemies with glass, this glass will shatter and damage enemy in X amout of time, if you break the glass before this timer, other enemies surrounding them will recieve splash damage instead.

Bend reality: ground target blind, torment, knockdown. cast portal below and above of your target, makes them fall twice and hit the ground. a nice post processing effect with this skill would make it really cool.

Elite

Crystal armour: gain access to various damage dealing skills like, glass rain, rend, trap, caltrops v2, all kinds of condi friendly crystal themed stuff.

that sounds more like something a mesmer would do... not an engi... very mesmer themed stuff there...

• Like 1

that

On 11/13/2021 at 5:15 AM, Adrianna.3092 said:

that sounds more like something a mesmer would do... not an engi... very mesmer themed stuff there...

that's right... tbh what I was thinking was an anti mesmer. portals as direct attack and cc, no self cloning like mesmer, it's actually cloning others, it doesn't matter really, i could really use a engi that prioritizes condi builds. I know holo can be that, but I don't really have the same fun I have with other classes condi builds. 

Wow I'm seeing alot of Axe/axe specs. I even thought about it before seeing this thread.

I'm like the  of a Pioneer/lumberjack spec.

An engineer that is more attuned with nature. Unlike the Ranger who learn to communicate with nature, and adapt to their surroundings. Pioneers instead use their knowledge to create there own path through the wilderness.  They use their survival skills ( utility skills) to live and thrive by physically bending nature to what they need.

Dual welding axes allows them to cleave through any obstacle in their way.

They also come well equipped to face any danger the wilds throw at them (gain the ability to weapon swap).

Simiple spec. I'm thinking something condition related. Dealing condi damage as well as condition mitigation. I'm also thinking this game could use some "anti-aoe" type of abilities. 

Edited by BobbyT.7192

1 hour ago, BobbyT.7192 said:

Wow I'm seeing alot of Axe/axe specs. I even thought about it before seeing this thread.

I'm like the  of a Pioneer/lumberjack spec.

An engineer that is more attuned with nature. Unlike the Ranger who learn to communicate with nature, and adapt to their surroundings. Pioneers instead use their knowledge to create there own path through the wilderness.  They use their survival skills ( utility skills) to live and thrive by physically bending nature to what they need.

Dual welding axes allows them to cleave through any obstacle in their way.

They also come well equipped to face any danger the wilds throw at them (gain the ability to weapon swap).

Simiple spec. I'm thinking something condition related. Dealing condi damage as well as condition mitigation. I'm also thinking this game could use some "anti-aoe" type of abilities. 

What exactly do you mean with "anti-aoe abilities"?

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

What exactly do you mean with "anti-aoe abilities"?

Bit of weird idea, but what I meant to say was a way to interact with enemy combo fields that are already on the ground. Either negating or converting a portion of it to create a sort of "safe area" for you and allies.

Example: Some one uses a skill that drops a fire field down on your party. You can use a skill that puts a water field down, that sort of "douses" those flames. It wouldnt cover the whole area depending on how big their field is compared to yours,( and I'm not sure this game has the tech for that.) But in that area it would prevent any damage or conditions hiting you, and would deny them any combo potential.

Another example would be the ability to blow away certain fields, thematically like a warrior shouting loud enough to do that. Or what about dropping a big magnet to move a lightning fields away from your party.

This is not solely an idea for any possible Espec idea for the engineer, you can have different interactions depending on the class or type of field.

Granted most fields only last a few seconds, and there is the whole "just don't stand in the red circle" saying. Also maybe not as useful in pve as its not something you would come across too often. (Do world/fractal/raid boss have the same combo system we do? Alot of them do drop ground aoe skills). Also I'd imagine current systems in place probably aren't built for something like this. Balance would also be a nightmare, I won't deny that lol.

But no reason why the combo field/finisher mechanic couldn't have more interaction with it.

Edited by BobbyT.7192

On 11/7/2021 at 6:11 PM, Xenash.1245 said:

I'd like for an engineer elite spec to get a ranged weapon for once, outside of that I'm cool with almost anything as there's a lot that can fit with the engineer fantasy.

Engineer really does have one of the largest potential to make creative Elite Spec and ways of using Main Weapons all thanks to the GW2 way of handling technology with combining fantasy magic and sci-fi technology thus opening up crazy ideas that certain people may find crazy but not crazy in GW2 world standards due to the crazy things Asura and other Engineer type characters make these days in GW2.

It is why I wish if they ever make a Greatsword Elite Spec for Engineer they make that a Range attack weapon. 

A lot of Professions have the potential to turn Melee weapons into range attack weapons but Engineer has one of the most potential to make that possible. 

2 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Engineer really does have one of the largest potential to make creative Elite Spec and ways of using Main Weapons all thanks to the GW2 way of handling technology with combining fantasy magic and sci-fi technology thus opening up crazy ideas that certain people may find crazy but not crazy in GW2 world standards due to the crazy things Asura and other Engineer type characters make these days in GW2.

It is why I wish if they ever make a Greatsword Elite Spec for Engineer they make that a Range attack weapon. 

A lot of Professions have the potential to turn Melee weapons into range attack weapons but Engineer has one of the most potential to make that possible. 

Look at Bladesworn and their Gunblade

Not likely to happen to engis now.

2 hours ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

Look at Bladesworn and their Gunblade

Not likely to happen to engis now.

Bladesworn is more of a Kit being given to Warrior which I have speculated for a long time to eventually happen due to how Warrior has so many Main Weapons already so they may have to introduce kits to compensate. It is also something I expect maybe given to all other professions eventually since GW2 still has the new storyline after events of Elder Dragon Saga ending during EoD or LW6 to introduce new Elite Specs from the new civilization newly introduced to GW series that are no longer related to anything GW1.

It does not mean they can't provide a Main weapon greatsword Elite Spec later. It just means one option for what the Greatsword Elite Spec for Engineer can be has been removed since a Gunsaber/Gunblade is a Techsword that combines a sword and a Gun so we know a Greatsword Elite Spec for Engineer won't be using a Gunblade since it is already done for Warrior's Bladesworn.

There are many forms of Techswords as well from Energy based Techswords, Electric generating Techswords, Multifunction switching techswords, heat generating techsword, and etc. Not to mention potential combat style for both Range and/or Melee combat.

As mentioned before, Engineer has a very good potential to get creative with their Elite Specs even with how they can handle their Main Weapon such as a Range attack Greatsword Main Weapon Elite Spec. Thus making Engineer the 2nd profession to use Greatsword as a Range weapon.

They can even introduce Staff Elite Spec Engineer as the 2nd melee staff Elite Spec focusing on Technomancer style attacks for melee combat.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That aside to get back on topic.

There is potential to create a Elite Spec that make use of the weapon switch button the Engineer never uses such as creating a Elite Spec that can switch the Main Weapon's functions between Melee combat and range combat. A Elite Spec for Engineer I think maybe ideal for a Staff Elite Spec or Greatsword Elite Spec.  A bit of work will need to go into this Main Weapon skill switch Elite spec because they will need to also provide Core weapons with a set of new Weapon skills for their Weapon skill switch function.

Utility skill wise, I think this maybe a ideal elite spec for Shouts or Consecration skills due to the focus more on Main Weapon use. Symbol skills will be interesting but they may have to engineerfy the symbols.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

• 1 month later...

Well since I don't want to recreate this thread again, I'll just bring this topic back up. Now back on topic.

------------

I've been thinking about what they may possibly do with greatsword or dagger elite spec.

A mechanic I think Anet can take advantage of for a new Elite Spec is Kits from Core Engineer.

Instead of Kits replacing the weapons completely with a kit weapon and kit skin, this Elite Spec instead changes the Main Weapon's 5 weapon skins based on what Main Weapon equipped and what Kit is active.

This will require work because this Elite spec will need to have new main weapon skills for each Main Weapon that is based on each Kit which means 7 new set of Main Weapon skills per Main Weapon. It will be a lot of work but it certainly be interesting to see a Elite Spec that specialize in modifying Engineer's Main weapon based on what Kit is being used.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284