Would you support a new progression server? Vanilla to HoT to PoF on a new account.

Logos.3042

Interest In A Guild Wars 2 Progression Server?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play on a progression server that did about ~6-9 months on vanilla, then on HoT, and then on PoF?

• Yes, I would
    • No, I wouldn't
    • Depends...
    • Undecided
  2. 2. When considering all factors, is this a good idea?

• Good idea!
    • Bad idea.
    • Depends...
    • Undecided

10 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What is preventing you from playing HoT with just a glider?

No one does Hero points by going on foot or gliding to them, or getting to events... they skyscale everywhere or griffon to everything.  If you are playing without using a mount, no one will be there with you.  Or you will catch one meta and then be left in the dust.  That's just how it is now.

Ease of access to flying mounts has diminished the thought of elevation and gliding, and I loved that about HoT maps the most.  I'd like to get some of that feel back; wouldnt care if there is a way to get this without doing a progression server. 

I would have much preferred if they kept mounts out of HoT and vanilla... nice as it can be for vets to blitz through for map completion.  It was far more fun to figure out how to get to the top of a mesa in vanilla than mindless springer/skyscale now...  I dont want to take that away from people, but I do want the option for like-minded people to do it with the original mechanics in mind.  

Edited by Logos.3042
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What is preventing you from playing HoT with just a glider?

Agreed.

Of course I believe, the OP,  (based on the post you are referencing,) Would appear to want others to ‘struggle’ through those challenges together.  Thus helping each other without the ‘cheat codes’ of mounts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

No one does Hero points by going on foot or gliding to them, or getting to events... they skyscale everywhere or griffon to everything.  If you are playing without using a mount, no one will be there with you.  Or you will catch one meta and then be left in the dust.  That's just how it is now.

Ease of access to flying mounts has diminished the thought of elevation and gliding, and I loved that about HoT maps the most.  I'd like to get some of that feel back; wouldnt care if there is a way to get this without doing a progression server.  I would have much preferred if they kept mounts out of HoT and vanilla... nice as it can be for vets to blitz through for map completion.  It was far more fun to figure out how to get to the top of a mesa in vanilla than mindless springer/skyscale now...

Again, nothing is preventing you from experiencing Heart of Thorns without using a mount. 

If you're worried about being left behind, create or join a guild with like-minded players who can assist with non-mount access to content.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Again, nothing is preventing you from experiencing Heart of Thorns without using a mount. 

If you're worried about being left behind, create or join a guild with like-minded players who can assist with non-mount access to content.

Couldnt disagree more.  If you could control maps and restrict who gets in, then maybe what you are suggesting would work.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I really find it exasperating that people can simply fly across the country in those pesky airplanes.  They should all be using horse and buggy, like it was in the old days.   /s

If you dont want to do HoT with original mechanics in mind, as it was designed, I would say this wouldnt be for you.  I play games for the challenge and the puzzle side.  Avoiding glider mechanics in hot is absolutely not the same as your situation that you describe here.  False analogy

• Confused 1

Oh look, another one of those great "please implement xyz (incert desired form of punishment based around posters subjective preference) type of content" because I think this is good game design....

WoW Classic worked for a time because of how different that game is designed and developed (and even that temporary return to "good old times" ran out of juice).

If you want to experience content in specidic ways you desire, you are free to do so. If you want others to experience content that same way:

1. Find like minded people to play together, or

2. Pay people to play the way you want them to

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

All this tells me is that you can't solo HoT HPs. If you don't like the mounted pace of current HP trains, I highly suggest learning to solo them - you allegedly like challenges, so it'd be right up your alley.

As for the meta, you have a point for some of the events that might get cleared out before you can catch up, or if you're on one canopy boss in VB you might not be able to make it back to popular ones like Mat or Pat in time to tag credit.

But aside from trying to mix popular and less-popular night canopy bosses in VB, I can't see how mounts really ruin the unmounted experience. In AB/TD/DS, there are pretty clear zones to which sector-divided meta chains are limited. TD is so closed off in many ways that mounts can't always use their fullest potential to get you through, compared to running around intelligently on foot. I don't feel the need to elaborate further on each zone and each lane, but generally speaking I've been fine doing most of it on foot.

24 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

Ease of access to flying mounts has diminished the thought of elevation and gliding, and I loved that about HoT maps the most.  I'd like to get some of that feel back; wouldnt care if there is a way to get this without doing a progression server. 

This is top-grade misdirection. YOU want the rest of US to live with the old limitations. If you really cared about not diminishing the thought of elevation and gliding, you'd be fine appreciating it on your own. But what you really want is to not even see anyone else around you do it a different way. Sure, you're saying this is an opt-in thing where only those who want those restrictions can go - I get what you're saying, and that you're not interested in taking anything away from anyone who likes the full kit. But all the same, it shows me that you don't actually care about the essence of the limited experience itself - ultimately it is more important to you that nobody else around you breaks those limits as well.

Edited by voltaicbore.8012
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

The concept of HoT is completely against Anet design... what is your point?

What?  Anet designed it. How can it be against their own design?

Instead, it seems some want it like this:

Anet: Hey, let's design an MMO where everyone plays within the same instances (megaserver) ... oh, but wait, let's limit it to certain instances with specific limitations so that everyone can't play within the same instance because there are some who can't find ways to complete content when other players on the same map use different mechanics.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

If you dont want to do HoT with original mechanics in mind, as it was designed, I would say this wouldnt be for you.  I play games for the challenge and the puzzle side.  Avoiding glider mechanics in hot is absolutely not the same as your situation that you describe here.  False analogy

So you should not play any HoT or Core with mounts or Core with gliders as those maps weren't originally designed for them.  Oh, the LS without mounts or gliders, too, where they weren't originally part either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Cyninja.2954 said:

Oh look, another one of those great "please implement xyz (incert desired form of punishment based around posters subjective preference) type of content" because I think this is good game design....

WoW Classic worked for a time because of how different that game is designed and developed (and even that temporary return to "good old times" ran out of juice).

If you want to experience content in specidic ways you desire, you are free to do so. If you want others to experience content that same way:

1. Find like minded people to play together, or

2. Pay people to play the way you want them to

And other people not playing by those rules dominate the map and ruin the Meta... and your point is void.

• Confused 3

10 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So you should not play any HoT or Core with mounts or Core with gliders as those maps weren't originally designed for them.  Oh, the LS without mounts or gliders, too, where they weren't originally part either.

Yes, I would love that.  And without elites for vanilla as well.  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What?  Anet designed it. How can it be against their own design?

Instead, it seems some want it like this:

Anet: Hey, let's design an MMO where everyone plays within the same instances (megaserver) ... oh, but wait, let's limit it to certain instances with specific limitations so that everyone can't play within the same instance because there are some who can't find ways to complete content when other players on the same map use different mechanics.

The concept of HoT WITH MOUNTS NOW completely destroys glider-designed terrain and masteries.  

23 minutes ago, voltaicbore.8012 said:

This is top-grade misdirection. YOU want the rest of US to live with the old limitations. If you really cared about not diminishing the thought of elevation and gliding, you'd be fine appreciating it on your own. But what you really want is to not even see anyone else around you do it a different way. Sure, you're saying this is an opt-in thing where only those who want those restrictions can go - I get what you're saying, and that you're not interested in taking anything away from anyone who likes the full kit. But all the same, it shows me that you don't actually care about the essence of the limited experience itself - ultimately it is more important to you that nobody else around you breaks those limits as well.

Where did I say I wanted everyone to do this?  Was this not about a separate server/map?  Where did I say everyone should play by these rules all the time.  I dont believe that, and I resent you putting words in my mouth that I clearly did not say.  I wanted a server (or map) with people following the same ruleset.  Dual rulesets in the same map do NOT make the experience the same, regardless of what many of you claim.

Since you think it doesnt matter, I recommend you go try it, like I have and report your experience.  If you are honest, you will be able to understand my point.  

• Confused 3

16 minutes ago, Logos.3042 said:

Where did I say I wanted everyone to do this?  Was this not about a separate server/map?  Where did I say everyone should play by these rules all the time.  I dont believe that, and I resent you putting words in my mouth that I clearly did not say.  I wanted a server (or map) with people following the same ruleset.  Dual rulesets in the same map do NOT make the experience the same, regardless of what many of you claim.

Since you think it doesnt matter, I recommend you go try it, like I have and report your experience.  If you are honest, you will be able to understand my point.  

I knew you weren't going to read it, so I even underlined the part where I said I understood you wanted it to be a separate opt-in thing. Yet you still somehow missed it.

Either way, my point remains the same. If all you cared about was actually having the appreciation and experiences you say the prog server will restore, you'd be fine replicating them on your own in the current environment. I acknowledged that following a mounted zerg for some metas would be difficult, but that for the most part zone segregation in HoT seems to limit how much a mount can get you around.

But just appreciating elevation/challenging pathing on your own isn't enough, you don't want anyone visible around you doing anything different. That is what I find disingenuous.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Looking at the results of the poll, I think Anet can congratulate itself on the premise that they want to keep the game fresh and current for (most ) people, through several game-mechanics.   Some things are obsoleted(dungeons) but most is not. I think that is a pretty good achievement. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

Everyone on the server is playing by the same rules, and the economy restarts.  Clean slate not just for you but all of the systems.

Sure that would happen ... but why is this something you think people want? I think it's pretty safe to say you have some agenda here. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1

Would there be enough players who wanted to constrain themselves (with no Mounts) to complete these elusive meta/Hero Challenges playing at the same time in this proposed new HoT maps?

And, if there are, why can't they just get together and play sans Mounts in the maps now? 

Would there be enough ROI to create these new maps?  Are these maps something players have to purchase?  (Not something I, personally, would purchase...sorry.)

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

I dont really see the point for a game like this. It just wouldnt be much different to just starting a new account. 

This perhaps makes sense for games with vertical progression.

I agree with this. I know there's some novelty value to this idea in other games because the way they're designed you complete an area (or simply out-level it) and then move on and probably never go back. In some games the starting areas are replaced or fundamentally changed over time, or new characters on an old account don't start at level 1, so you don't even get that experience back by starting a new character.

But GW2 isn't like that. Apart from Season 1 (more on that below) and the changes to skills and traits, which the OP already said they'd want to keep, making and playing a new character can be almost exactly the same as it was 9 years ago. Yes you need some self control to not using gliding and mounts if you don't want to, but if that's the experience you want presumably you'd be willing to do that.

Or if you think you need a more complete split (no magic find, no materials from your other characters, no items collected etc. you can start a new account).

14 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

Everyone on the server is playing by the same rules, and the economy restarts.  Clean slate not just for you but all of the systems.

That only really works if you start on day 1 and play through it quickly enough to be at the head of the pack, if you start late or fall behind the fastest players that equal playing field disappears and you end up in the same situation as now where some players have things you haven't yet unlocked. So it's likely to only be a minority of players, even within those who choose to move to the new server, who get the full experience. For everyone else it would make even less of a difference.

Since I can already tell you I won't be able to keep up with the fastest players that's even less incentive for me to even start.

10 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

Agreed, and you can make a new account for free these days so this just seems like a huge waste of Anet's time and resources for very little positives.

Now if the new servers were going to rerelease living world 1 in it's original state before the expansions then that would be a game changer for a lot of people and I expect a lot of people would play on the new servers to just experience/re-live living world 1 again.
But that would be the only attractive element of doing something like this if you ask me, and frankly i'd rather just have a big living world 1 remaster in the normal Gw2.

If Anet were able to bring back Season 1 and make it all work again I'd rather they add it to the existing game than seal it off in some tempoary spin-off.

2 hours ago, Logos.3042 said:

The main reasons that I would play on a server like this would be to be on a server that could challenge you with HoT with just gliders.  It is challenging content that is trivialized by Mounts.  It would be fun to play it with like-minded .  Same can be said for Vanilla.

Economy is the second major reason.

There are plenty of other positive reasons, but those are the main ones.

As other people have said you can do this already. Yes you will have to see people who have chosen not to follow your personal rules, but it doesn't prevent you from playing that way.

55 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

But most of that happened exactly in the very early days you want to go back to.

To see a real picture, it's better to compare current GW2 to the times around HoT launch and later on.

The ecomony wouldn't run the same way because players would know what to expect. For example if players knew from day 1 that 6-9 months in HoT was coming (timing from the first post) with precursor crafting we wouldn't see the very low prices for T5 and T6 basic materials and extremely high prices for precursors we had before HoT. If anything I'd expect it to go the other way with very few precursors being traded at all because no one would waste time throwing exotics in the Forge to get one except to use it themselves (in the hope someone would notice they're one of the first on the server to make a legendary) and a lot of people would spend those early months saving and buying up the materials they already know will be required, so we'd likely see even more inflation on them because there's the same demand but with much less time to build up a supply of materials to be traded.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The ecomony wouldn't run the same way because players would know what to expect. For example if players knew from day 1 that 6-9 months in HoT was coming (timing from the first post) with precursor crafting we wouldn't see the very low prices for T5 and T6 basic materials and extremely high prices for precursors we had before HoT. If anything I'd expect it to go the other way with very few precursors being traded at all because no one would waste time throwing exotics in the Forge to get one except to use it themselves (in the hope someone would notice they're one of the first on the server to make a legendary) and a lot of people would spend those early months saving and buying up the materials they already know will be required, so we'd likely see even more inflation on them because there's the same demand but with much less time to build up a supply of materials to be traded.

Indeed. So, not only we'd be returning to the times when prices were the most volatile (due to the stuff being much harder to farm in general, and people only beginning to fill their inentories with mats, and obtaining more gold than needed for immediate goals), but people knowing what's going to happen (and being able to look up final prices of stuff in the "normal" game version) would only make it even more unbalanced.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1