Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

My game didn't start properly yesterday. That may have been related to arcdps. Today it's not related to arcdps anymore. Steps that happened:
1. Game crashed. Installed new arcdps

2. Game crashed. Removed arcdps

3. Game worked. Installed arcdps

4. Game crashed. Removed and re-installed game

5. Game worked for several hours (with arcdps). Then game froze. Had to kill it, tried to start

6. Game crashed. Removed arcdps

7. Game worked. Went to bed. Over night, Windows was updated

8. Installed new version of arcdps

9. Game crashed. Tried a repair

10. Repair crashed. Tried again

11. Repair successful, logged in

12. Game didn't start (I saw it in the task bar, but the fullscreen didn't open). Removed arcdps

13. Game didn't start. Did a re-install

14. Game didn't start. Made a shortcut, set the run-option "fullscreen"

15. Game started via shortcut. Tried to load into a map

16. Game froze

17. I started getting annoyed and came to this forum to post.

Now, @FireAttunement.9835, can we please get an update? I know sometimes getting fixes out can be a bit of trouble, but the best policy you could go for right now is saying something. Even if you say "our fix turned out to not work reliably" or "sorry, we made a mistake and we don't know yet", it's better than saying nothing, because to the customers that have a problem, saying nothing can feel as if you don't really care about them.

20 hours ago, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Thank you all for your patience on this. We've been working hard to get this sorted out and have identified a fix. We'll have that out to you as soon as possible.

10 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Has the whole Guild Wars 2 folder been added to the exceptions or just the Gw2-64.exe?

Other than that, perhaps you have limited user rights on your computer? Have you tried launching Gw2-64.exe as Administrator?

Yep, the whole folder is in exceptions.  I do that as a standard thing now, after it solved some other problems ages and ages ago.

Nope, I have full admin rights, and did indeed go back through and make sure I was running the .exe as an administrator; I actually tried it NOT as an administrator once, trying to solve this thing, then went back to launching it as an administrator as usual.  Getting in really does seem to be luck of the draw, although I seem to have the best chance getting in if I leave a fair amount of time (more than an hour) between attempts.  On the other hand, I'm starting to wonder if a lot of fixes here are simply people getting lucky after they changed something.

1 hour ago, GODh.3892 said:

The problem is caused by the latest patch... Many players have the same launcher issues as you (there are many posts about it). Anet is working on a fix (but there is hardly any communication with the players about it).

For some people starting the game in windowed mode is a fix, but for me that doesn't work (I cant click anything).

For the rest, all we can do is wait for the fix.

I have the exact same issue. It's been working great over the Mad King event and the next day is broken. I've uninstalled - reinstalled the game and ran as Admin but nothing works. If this had been any of my other games I'd not be that bothered. 😞

• Like 1

it is not really a fix but by selecting "always visible" in your task manager setting that will allow you to close the game with the TM.

also yeah I have that same issue, happened after the patch but what's weird is that the previous days I could get it to work but closing and relaunching the game. Today it always do this bug, can't play at all

EDIT: 

Animal.6503 fix worked for me:

in exe file properties set compatability mode for Win 7 for mee that fixed game dont need windowed

why it work tho, I have no idea

Edited by Spyko.2107

The following worked for me:

I edited the shortcut and added -windowed, and I didn't have to turn off Game Mode in Windows 10 or run in compatibility mode. I generally run the game at 3840x2160, but I can resize windowed mode to a decent resolution until this is fixed. 

• "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -windowed

Good luck...

• Like 1

I very much doubt this has anything to do with the Microsoft update.

After the game got the patch and I went ahead and played it, it played fine.

I played for a while then closed the game.

After a couple hours I started the game to play some more - mind you, I had received the notification that my Windows needed upgrading.

I thought "well I'll do that later" then started the game.

Which promptly froze (the same audio in the background nothing works tho thing everybody is describing) and I could do nothing except restart from Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Then I thought "well, must be one of those finicky times when Windows goes 'I ain't gonna let you do stuff on your PC until you upgrade'" so I went ahead and upgraded Windows.

Started the game and it worked fine. Played for a while then exited the game.

Afterwards every single time I tried to play it it would freeze.

So it's not the Windows update.

I am using no add-ons.

And I am sad to see the problem is still not resolved.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dmone.5631 said:

I edited the shortcut and added -windowed, and I didn't have to turn off Game Mode in Windows 10 or run in compatibility mode. I generally run the game at 3840x2160, but I can resize windowed mode to a decent resolution until this is fixed. 

Good luck...

This worked for me too.  I did change my graphics from Fullscreen to Windowed Fullscreen, and everything works as before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmone.5631 said:

Good luck...

Afraid its a random fix.  Yesterday game crashed using windowed each time i stretched the window to fit my screen.  This morning I tried the non windowed launch and it worked !!!  Just retried... full computer crash. Returned to windowed and it worked even using Maximize.  Very very random.  😞 😞

1 minute ago, Image.8630 said:

Afraid its a random fix.  Yesterday game crashed using windowed each time i stretched the window to fit my screen.  This morning I tried the non windowed launch and it worked !!!  Just retried... full computer crash. Returned to windowed and it worked even using Maximize.  Very very random.  😞 😞

It's crossed my mind that simply changing ANYTHING might be what helps.  I don't know if that's even possible, or that's just another way of saying "it's random."

So I got a new computer yesterday, and had the issue both on the old machine, and on the new one. Running in win 8 compatability mode fixed it (for now?) but come on Anet.. it's day #3 and 26 pages of people complaining. Referring to us as 'some players' doesn't even begin to describe it and frankly, a total of one half-assed tweet isn't helping anyone.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 5:07 PM, Kobraki Ninja.1572 said:

Hello ,

So when i hit play after logging in the game never opens , i have read around on multi forums and tried a lot of fixes but none have seemed to worked. I've updated all my drivers uninstalled and re installed the game multi times direct x is the latest and have also run the -repair etc i would just like to know does anyone have any ideas ?OS: Win 10

Many thanks

I have exactly rhe same problem. I have it since today. Last night there was a windows 10 update. I run a fast pc, never had this issue. After log in, my pc also freezes up and I have to do a hard reboot.