Can't launch game after the November 9, 2021 update

I'm having the same issue on two different computers: one running Windows 11, the other running Windows 10. I can hear the GW2 music playing, but the game launch never completes. The launch hangs before the character selection screen opens and makes all other apps unusable, even Task Manager, which means I can't force GW2 to close. The only way to regain control of my computers is to log out with Ctrl-Alt-Del or force shutdown with the power button. 

Tuesday to Thursday still having a nightmare logging in, its nice that they are aware of the issue, but higher priority should be to actually fix it by now, over 48 hours of unplayable game with work arounds that don't always work is terrible.  Also no to people calling for roll backs to many would lose progress.

31 minutes ago, borisslav.9026 said:

So I got a new computer yesterday, and had the issue both on the old machine, and on the new one. Running in win 8 compatability mode fixed it (for now?) but come on Anet.. it's day #3 and 26 pages of people complaining. Referring to us as 'some players' doesn't even begin to describe it and frankly, a total of one half-assed tweet isn't helping anyone.

If their aim is to lose the majority of the playerbase a few months before End of Dragons, they're doing quite well. Thematically relevant.

Edited by Yttris.2945
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, dipstick.3782 said:

11/11/2021 still having the log in issue, after having it resolved for a day. anyone found a perma fix?

The only permanent fix will have to come form Anet.  Reinstalling the game or such extreme attempt to fix it wont work since you are reinstalling the bug.  Using the windowed mode works most of the time, at least that doesn't crash the computer.

On 11/10/2021 at 2:28 AM, Katiekaboom.1980 said:

Wow you have done a LOT! But just so you know it is not you or your computer. It is due to the patch itself and Anet IS currently working on a fix.

Question: Did the -windowed mode not work for you??

I'm definitely glad to hear they are working on a fix. Nope, the -windowed did not work. Only thing that has worked is playing with GeForce Now. I can't actually play the game through the gw2 program on pc 😞

14 minutes ago, Yttris.2945 said:

If their aim is to lose the majority of the playerbase a few months before End of Dragons, they're doing quite well. Thematically relevant.

i really don't think they care much about dedicated players like they used to. there was many perma bans months ago saying people were using third party programs when they weren't. my aunt and uncle were 16 yrs vets, played everyday and had this happen to them. all they were told was they used a third party program, they wouldn't be specific, refused to comment any further, ignore ignore ignore. i miss playing with them 😞 

Recent Patch (11/09/21) broke the launcher on my end.

I do have a workaround for it though.

R-click your GW2 Client.

Go to Properties.

Then to Compatibility (should be the bottom R of the 6tabs up top).

Then check off "Disable Full Screen Optimizations"; apply it.

It worked for me after this change - if someone already figured it out, just take this as an extra confirmation.

Amusingly though, it acts like it has fullscreen anyways 🤣.

I've had the Client break on my end in the past as well - resolved those by uninstalling/reinstalling the Client (if the above fails).

Had the same issue since yesterday, and I don't know if it has been fixed or not, but I logged in some hours ago.
Don't know if it depends on some deselect/select again in screen options (in Windows and Parallels, Mac user here), but I am sure I did nothing special. Just hope next login I would be lucky the same way.
Edit: not that lucky twice, unfortunately.

Edited by Justin Time.7054

On 11/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Fire Attunement.9835 said:

Thank you all for your patience on this. We've been working hard to get this sorted out and have identified a fix. We'll have that out to you as soon as possible.

It has now been 24 hours since this was posted and no fix yet. Hope they get it done before reset today, but wouldn't bet on it.

Had the same issue on 2 accounts on 2 different machines. The game mode Windows 10 setting fixed my older PC. DirectX11 Beta was turned OFF. On my newer PC I had to re-install the game entirely. After the re-install the issue of black screen with sound persisted until I got a lucky load after numerous attempts. When the game did load me to the character screen I was able to check the graphic settings. The monitor was set to 4K instead of 2K which was why I could hear the sound but the graphics card could not render. On the newer machine WIN10 Game Mode was OFF the entire time and I had the DirectX11 beta OFF. Setting the correct resolution helped the game load but I still had in game crashes. I enabled the DirectX11 Beta and haven't had a crash since.

Edited by Saucy.1547
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Silmalel.2538 said:

I'm having the same issue on two different computers: one running Windows 11, the other running Windows 10. I can hear the GW2 music playing, but the game launch never completes. The launch hangs before the character selection screen opens and makes all other apps unusable, even Task Manager, which means I can't force GW2 to close. The only way to regain control of my computers is to log out with Ctrl-Alt-Del or force shutdown with the power button. 

Instead of doing that just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose task manager. Type "G" to highlight the GW2 process and then "Del" to delete it. This will make your computer responsive again and you can try to restart the game. In all but 1 case the game has started on the first try after doing this, but be aware 1 time it took 4 tries. In any case doing this way is so much faster than a restart of windows.

Another problem with this is that if you multiclient that most likely will not work. Deleting the GW2 process will delete all clients.

Like many others, this is happening to me. This morning I was able to get in OK, the next time I tried - failure. My **guess** is that it's some kind of back end failure - once you've hit the play button, something is launched, but all events are being eaten and the client isn't being directed to draw anything. Only thing I can do is wait I guess.

Same issue for my wife laptop. 

I am running on Windows 11, Dx12, Alienware and it did it once and never did it again. Weird. 

My wife laptop, Win 10, Dell, freezes everything! Even Task Manager is frozen to death. Rebooting does not fix it. No add on. Killed razor and Nvidia background apps with no improvement. Running as Admin does not improve it. She is pissed at ArenaNet. 

How could they stuff up something that was working properly...?  

And we will have to WAIT A WEEK until the patching of the patch?!?

That is quite an urgent issue. I would expect a special patch within 24-48 hours (ASAP). A week is not ASAP; that's just the regular schedule.  

Had this issue

Started game, hit play and the game froze with changed mouse icon and music in the background.

Alt+ctrl+del worked.

Reinstalled game. After first start I had the critical error and report a bug window pop up. After that same issue as earlier.

Changed in the GW2 options to start the game with windows 7 compatibility. It took more time to start the game, but now it plays normally.

Everything happend after windows update like yesterday (today is 11.11.2021)

Probably windows moved/restricted some data and this is the result.

20 minutes ago, falviani.2830 said:

Like many others, this is happening to me. This morning I was able to get in OK, the next time I tried - failure. My **guess** is that it's some kind of back end failure - once you've hit the play button, something is launched, but all events are being eaten and the client isn't being directed to draw anything. Only thing I can do is wait I guess.

From what I've read on Twitter it launches the game onto a false monitor.

Fix is to run in windowed mode, I believe you can add "-windowed" to the run line, or compatibility to windows 7/8.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OutOfMyMind.9613 said:

Instead of doing that just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and choose task manager. Type "G" to highlight the GW2 process and then "Del" to delete it

Except that, as I said, Task Manager is rendered unusable, too. When the GW2 launch hangs, every other app I open also hangs, including Task Manager and the shut-down button on the Start window. When I choose the log-out option on Ctrl-Alt-Del, which forces all open apps to close, it gets me back up quickly. 

By the way, running GW2 as Administrator got me in-game on my Windows 11 rig. I haven't yet tried it a second time (was only on to get my dailys). Haven't tried it on my Win10 rig yet either. It's a temporary work around at least.