Will we see a return of the Afflicted?

Tungsten Monarch.6058

Unlikely.

However there is the possibility that they could bring them back and further elaborate on the orgins of the magic that created them in the first place. 

There is an item known as the chalice of corruption that was created by jeijou shadow whispered that turned people into afflicted that drank from it, he apparently was instructed on how to make it by some mysterious voice.

So it would seem as though the affliction can be recreated without Shiro, and that Shiro was merely using this magic but isn't the "source".

I could definitely see them "elaborating" on the orgin of the affliction and actually linking it to the deep sea dragon if they wanted to.

It wouldn't be too far fetched to imagine that Shiro or even Abaddon behind the scenes was utilizing magic from the deep sea dragon either intentionally or unintentionally. It would also give them ways to tie in why the jade sea is soaking up dragon magic.

Perhaps the jade wind was not caused purley from Dwayna's magic but a combination of the godly magic and dragon magic. 

This is of course all baseless speculation,  but the possibility of afflicted in EoD is not completely off the table.

8 hours ago, Tungsten Monarch.6058 said:

Were the afflicted truly the result of Shiro's presence, or a story told to hide the truth about the dragon's ability to transform life into monsters as we have seen in Tyria. Could we see a return of the afflicted in a frightening new way?

Yes, the Afflicted were 100% the result of Shiro's presence and magic. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Elder Dragons.

NOTHING pre-EotN had anything to do with Elder Dragons except through major retcons. And even then, the only thing retconned to be caused by the Elder Dragons is Glint and possibly the Searing. Retconning everything to be caused by the Elder Dragons is boring, inconsistent, and lazy writing.

That said, to answer the title of the thread: "Will we see a return of the Afflicted?"

We shouldn't. Doesn't mean we can't.

If this was still the Ministry of Purity and Usoku's overzealous xenophobic empire, then we very well could see artificial Afflicted. In Winds of Change, after wiping out the very last of Afflicted after a long decade-long extermination process that went throughout every nook and cranny of the entire continent, the Ministry of Purity had gotten their hands on the blueprints for how to make a Chalice of Corruption. From the Factions Side quests, we knew the Chalice of Corruption was a magical cup the Am Fah used to create Afflicted - we learn in Winds of Change that the Am Fah leader, Jeijou, Shadow Whispered, learned how to make it from Shiro Tagachi (though never called by name).

If the Imperials of Cantha were still very xenophobic and dystopic - by which all accounts they aren't because who cares for GW1 plothooks players waited 14 years to see occur firsthand - then there would be the possibility of the Ministry of Purity, Emperor, or some other evil ranking official using those blueprints to create isolated pockets of Afflicted as a means to continue fearmongering and dependency on the government - 1984-styled stuff, basically.

8 hours ago, Kayberz.5346 said:

There is an item known as the chalice of corruption that was created by jeijou shadow whispered that turned people into afflicted that drank from it, he apparently was instructed on how to make it by some mysterious voice.

So it would seem as though the affliction can be recreated without Shiro, and that Shiro was merely using this magic but isn't the "source".

Shiro was indeed the source. This was pretty point-blank undeniably obvious in Factions. IIRC, the Chalice of Corruption merely spreads it by using infected flesh from Afflicted, or at least that was my understanding.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

, the Chalice of Corruption

I honestly won't be surprised if the Chalice of Corruption returns in GW2 EoD or for LW6 storyline.

The Ministry of Purity is gone now in public knowledge but that does not mean the blueprint to make the Chalice of Corruption disappeared with them nor does it mean the Ministry of Purity are truely gone.

For all we know, the Ministry of Purity may have become the Cantha versions of White Mantle and been plotting in secret to take over Cantha again while gathering support in the shadows and waiting for the right moment to gain large public influence.

A moment that the Commander may provide if he/she is entering Cantha illegally. 

Not to mention support can be easily gained if they go to the right people unhappy with the current Canthan government.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

Given the GW2 storyline is generally very narrow focussed and tries to steer away from GW1 stuff, I can’t see there ever being mention of the chalice. Focus will be fully on the dragonjade and perhaps the final dragon. With some of the EoD team also stating they haven’t played GW1, I think we can leave many expectations for major references to the old game at the door.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Given the GW2 storyline is generally very narrow focussed and tries to steer away from GW1 stuff, I can’t see there ever being mention of the chalice. Focus will be fully on the dragonjade and perhaps the final dragon. With some of the EoD team also stating they haven’t played GW1, I think we can leave many expectations for major references to the old game at the door.

I disagree. Look at Heart of Thorns. There were many storyline threads that were constantly in contention with each other. The main goals were getting the egg back and killing Mordremoth. This lead to introducing three new jungle Hylek and expanding on a new religion. Meeting the Exalted which were a continuation of the work of the Forgotten and Glint's Legacy. And finding a lost city of the Asura which was a continuation of a Guild Wars 1 story thread as well. In addition there were plans for a new story arch involving the Nightmare Court and if I recall correctly Mallyck's tree. I doubt that we will see a major focus on the Afflicted, because many would complain that it was just repeating old story threads, I could see them affecting a small region or taking up a part of the story.

3 hours ago, Narcemus.1348 said:

I disagree. Look at Heart of Thorns. There were many storyline threads that were constantly in contention with each other. The main goals were getting the egg back and killing Mordremoth. This lead to introducing three new jungle Hylek and expanding on a new religion. Meeting the Exalted which were a continuation of the work of the Forgotten and Glint's Legacy. And finding a lost city of the Asura which was a continuation of a Guild Wars 1 story thread as well. In addition there were plans for a new story arch involving the Nightmare Court and if I recall correctly Mallyck's tree. I doubt that we will see a major focus on the Afflicted, because many would complain that it was just repeating old story threads, I could see them affecting a small region or taking up a part of the story.

I wouldn’t quite call HoT a multi focussed storyline. It remains an extremely narrow and quite shallow plot which by design deliberately dropped most of the planned stuff to avoid focusing on anything that wasn’t the egg or the headlong rush into the jungle to rescue Trahearne and co. I will be surprised if there is any significant bowing to the original game in EoD and any associated ls6 given the direction the game is going and how much they need to tie off from GW2. I’m also OK with that. They don’t need to pull up much from Factions or at least anything from the Afflicted storyline.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Chalice of Corruption as a LWS6 legendary focus. While I am one of the weirdos who actually likes the Aurene themed Gen 3 weapons, I absolutely expect them to be an anomaly, and that within a few months after release, we’d be teased with more.

as for the Afflicted themselves, I really hope that’s done. Shiro being retconned into a pawn of Abaddon was degrading to him enough- don’t take it away further (and to clarify, I actually didn’t mind that because I love Abaddon, but give poor Shiro something to hang his hat/twin blades on. He’s already forced to serve as a power source for us revenants as well, leave him alone)

10 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Who even needs the afflicted, when Cantha suffers from a new plague in form of toxic green jade tech?

Hey, maybe it's not the dragon jade that makes it toxic green but afflicted sewage? 🤢 There we have the connection! (Eww...)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Tyson.5160 said:

An afflicted could be a strike mission boss, judging by the wallpaper for Canthan strike missions, it does kinda look like an afflicted.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Strike_Mission#/media/File%3AStrike_Missions_concept_art_EoD.jpg

While possible, the very crab-like legs and the green-ness makes me think it's one of the Crustaceans, commonly referred to Leviathan species, but quite possibly warped.

8 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

More like some some dragon jade-afflicted mutant to me.

could be both at this point. 

I will not be surprised if a new Chalice of Corruption maybe created using Dragon Jade to create a new type of Afflicted that is stronger than the old Afflicted. 

If the Dragon Jade has this dark corruption effect that can drive people mad and mutate them like the Affliction disease back in GW1, then there is a risk someone getting the idea to use both the Chalice of Corruption and the corruption of Dragon Jade together to create a new and deadlier variant of Afflicted.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284
  • Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 12:04 PM, Randulf.7614 said:

I wouldn’t quite call HoT a multi focussed storyline. It remains an extremely narrow and quite shallow plot which by design deliberately dropped most of the planned stuff to avoid focusing on anything that wasn’t the egg or the headlong rush into the jungle to rescue Trahearne and co. I will be surprised if there is any significant bowing to the original game in EoD and any associated ls6 given the direction the game is going and how much they need to tie off from GW2. I’m also OK with that. They don’t need to pull up much from Factions or at least anything from the Afflicted storyline.

You are right. While Heart of Thorns was extremely focused in on killing Mordremoth and saving the egg, it still managed many side stories that played a small part in the story and a larger part in the map completion and metas. All I believe I was saying is that even a narrowly focused story from an expansion had shown in the past the option of having many smaller side stories involved in the action. The inclusion of an Afflicted or the Chalice of Corruption is definitely possible. And it could even deal with he story seeing as we have so little to go off of when it comes to what this expansion story will entail.

11 hours ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

could be both at this point. 

I will not be surprised if a new Chalice of Corruption maybe created using Dragon Jade to create a new type of Afflicted that is stronger than the old Afflicted. 

If the Dragon Jade has this dark corruption effect that can drive people mad and mutate them like the Affliction disease back in GW1, then there is a risk someone getting the idea to use both the Chalice of Corruption and the corruption of Dragon Jade together to create a new and deadlier variant of Afflicted.

But why would those who could access the Chalice of Corruption blueprints - if such weren't destroyed right away - be wanting to create new Afflicted, let alone stronger ones? The old Afflicted were devastating enough, so unless they're a total nihilist there'd not be much need to improve it with dragonjade twisting magic (assuming such is even a thing).

Would make more sense, especially with the writers wanting to do away with old plots, to just have it be dragon-jade stuff alone, or simply a DSD minion.

47 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

But why would those who could access the Chalice of Corruption blueprints - if such weren't destroyed right away - be wanting to create new Afflicted, let alone stronger ones? The old Afflicted were devastating enough, so unless they're a total nihilist there'd not be much need to improve it with dragonjade twisting magic (assuming such is even a thing).

Would make more sense, especially with the writers wanting to do away with old plots, to just have it be dragon-jade stuff alone, or simply a DSD minion.

It could be part of an Inquest mini plot, or it could be part of an Inquest LW episode. The Inquest would very much love to have the chalice and experiment with it.

That said, the monster in the artwork might be just that: an artwork. There's no guarantee that it'll appear in the game.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Like 1