Mob density is out of control

Lynx.9058

19 hours ago, vanfrano.1325 said:

If you can't check your map for five seconds without pretty much always being attacked despite the fact that you've just killed the mobs around you, there's something wrong.

That's not something that consistently happens. Where exactly did you try to look at the map for 5 seconds right after killing the mobs around you? Have you thought about just... moving to the side and then checking the map? 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Back in my days, when i got in the HoT there was no mount, i had just finished personnal story and map completion of the Vanilla GW.  So im off to Dry Top and Silver Waste and i feel a little bit more of a challenge from foes, but nothing to write your mom about.
Then i advance to Verdant Brinks. Boy was i in for a surprise!!!! Vets everywhere, foes going around in packs of 4,5 and 6 sometimes. Those mordrem sniper with their trails of fire on the ground that melts you in seconds, Those Blade Dancer that kill you without you even noticing, those tendrils slinging those smalll aoe area everywhere.
Those raptors packs.....(insert many many many baby cats here).
Pof... Vet griffons evading everything, those forged that only hang out in pack of 25... I could go on forever (or until i get to have to go to bed, old folks go to sleep early).

But i learned, now whenever i go to these maps, i kick butts and live to brag about it.
My point? Map density dont matter.
Learn your ennemy, learn the maps. There are sooooo many places you can park, go afk and still live and thats in every map.

Spoiler

I once ran around a pylon on AB just outside of the skill range of a Mordrem punisher for a little bit over a minute, laughing my butt of while i had the Benny Hill them song playing in my head.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

I think its still fine in most of the maps, the only maps I have problem with is all pof maps and bloodstone fen which are on another level, Lake Doric is pretty peaceful for an end game zone.

Bloodstone Fen is definitely not a zone to relax in. Makes sense, though, since it's supposed to be a nightmarish environment.

I'm usually not one for "we need peaceful exploration zones", but it would be cool to have an area with that many densely packed updrafts and ley lines that isn't so hostile just to have some glider fun.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ardhikaizecson.3697 said:

I think its still fine in most of the maps, the only maps I have problem with is all pof maps and bloodstone fen which are on another level, Lake Doric is pretty peaceful for an end game zone.

Bloodstone fen is a special case because it's the only map designed for glider-based combat.  If you glide in bloodstone fen, the enemies gain dramatically increased aggro range for anti-glider attacks.  However, they were designed before mounts so flying mounts don't trigger this increased range.  This makes navigating the map easier with skyscale/griffon and other mounts than by gliding.

You were supposed to use the evade and stealth skills to avoid those long-range attacks.  Cool concept, but it does get pretty annoying having to watch for attacks coming from thousands of units away!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I'm usually not one for "we need peaceful exploration zones", but it would be cool to have an area with that many densely packed updrafts and ley lines that isn't so hostile just to have some glider fun.

VB at night where you can glide through the whole map without mobs in sight, because they're so far below that they can't even be seen? Or TD's "the longest glide" achievement areas?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

VB at night where you can glide through the whole map without mobs in sight, because they're so far below that they can't even be seen?

Hm, maybe I haven't got high enough in VB to try that. I've sailed over it on griffon, and glided around the canyons. But the canyons and the way the updrafts are arranged in them are  different than BF. There are kind of routes from one updraft to the next highest to the next highest. BF is a lot of fun in the way they are all clumped in essentially a big open space, with floating islands.

There is that adventure in Tarir where there are a bunch of updrafts clumped and an open space to soar around, but it's a much smaller clump.

Maybe I'll have to try gliding higher in VB. Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Bloodstone Fen is definitely not a zone to relax in. Makes sense, though, since it's supposed to be a nightmarish environment.

Fortunately it's possible to stand on some spots around the crater with no enemies attacking you. Had to wait on a map for a full hour for the Jade Maw meta to start and did not want to listen to my skyscale flapping continuously.

• Like 1

There's the Hunting Grounds of Sandswept Isles that, aside from occasional bounty bosses, has very few or no mobs at all.

It's so nice to FINALLY be able to stroll around, explore, and take in the beautiful scenery without running from/fighting off ten sand lions, five sand sharks, half a dozen eels, and the occasional enraged shadhavar that got tagged when a sand shark exploded in its face.

More areas like that - not entire maps, just smaller areas - would be wonderful to experience.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was totally overwhelmed when I first got into PoF. I remember essentially playing "the floor is lava" because of sand sharks. I ran around those pyramids in the north of Crystal Oasis, making sure to cross sandy areas as quickly as possible because I could never tell when one might pop up.

The first time I tried to do the Veteran Magic Muddle Djinn HP I thought I was doing well until a couple of lions and a hydra decided to play too. Later, I was doing an HP run around the desert with my son, and I was able to say, "Wait, don't start the HP yet. We need to take out those lions under the tree there, and that Hydra that walks a big circle around the area." It felt good. I'd learned the place a bit, and could use my experience to my advantage.

Now, I think of most of Crystal Oasis as the chill zone of PoF.

That kind of journey from "ack, this place is overwhelming" to "yeah, I know the ways of this area, we got this" is a rewarding part of playing the game.

• Like 5