Rev as a Solo Roamer?

Choppy.4183

22 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Check TubyTwoTons (TubyEatWorld) in Youtube and Twitch, He's an excellent Revenant WvW roamer which oftenly describes the whole hotkey dance He's performing while fighting so you can get a very instructional Idea of what combos He uses, which are the timings and the decision choices He makes along the fights, it will allow you to form a better idea about the strong and weak points of the class.

Another notable content creators with a lot of Revenant focused content is Nici, I known another couple which are buried somewhere in my fav list but sadly WvW became so stagnated that some of those exceptional guys ceased to release new videos long time ago. Of course, you have very good videos from Vallun, but He's a a multiclass player which mains Thief and is not as peak running Revs as some of the names I cited not the best PvP Rev players.

The tools of the Rev change greatly based on the build: Power Herald is imo the best at dueling, a mele fighter with strong burst of damage, good sustain and mobility but weak to conditions and stealth or ranged pressure.

Condition Renegade, instead, has a strong ranged game, is tanky and is very resilient vs conditions, with tons of mitigation and good cc, but a bit less mobile. If your goal is to stack WvW pips AFAP I think is the best choice, due how fast and safely melts enemy camps while running around the whole map, the quickest way to farm WvW progression as a roamer.

The Celestial Revenant variants have very impactful AoE damage and shine in small skirmishes, with tanky stats and constant pressure, but oftenly are worse in mobility and suffer against classes which have plenty of that.

Thanks for that. I've got three builds loaded up for experimenting, with the celestial shortbow being the one I've tried most (seems to be the most forgiving while I get used to the skills and class mechanic). While I have been able to melt camps and out fight people (1v1 mostly) even with my limited skill, I know it's because the people I'm fighting are far less experienced with fighting. 

Getting used to having less mobility and stunbreaks is probably the biggest adjustment for me. Being able to ramp up 25 might in seconds while dishing loads of direct and condi damage is nice, but I've really got to improve my use of the stability road from Jalis and general resource management, I'll check out the youtubers  to improve on that.

I think power herald will be where I eventually end up based on taste and playstyle, but it'll take me a while with the class before I'll be able to pull it off.

Hi, rev roamer here.

I will talk mainly about power shiro/herald build.

When you get used to it, it is very fun and very active playstile. You have to know every oponent skill but it will reward you. You will have to outskill lot of yours opponents. Only ez matchup you will have is vs DragonHunters(because all their gameplan is drop everything and pull you in, because it works lol, only like 1 of 50 guards will fight you reactively so it will be harder).

You will suffer from condi spaming classes, ranged preassure and stealth as there were mentioned.

Ability to 1vX on this build...again you have to be just far better.

Vallun celestial herald was fun too btw. But i have moral problem killing ppl with condi so I dont play it. It was way too ez. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:13 AM, Catchyfx.5768 said:

You will suffer from condi spaming classes, ranged preassure and stealth as there were mentioned.

Soooooo... basically everything that's endemic in wvw? 😁

I do look forward to moving to power Herald soon. I'm still finding my stride, getting used to the mechanic, skills, etc. Just today, I learned that I really stuck at using ports as a defensive mechanic, so I should probably get that down using safer builds before moving onto power herald. 

I'm just using the celestial shortbow now, which is super forgiving and allows me to get used to both Shiro and staff. Then I suspect I'll switch to vallun's "fallen angel" Herald to get used to Glint, then I'll go to power Herald. The game started me off with all celestial gear when I made the char, so I just started with builds that use it. 

Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/106889-ventari-is-actually-viable/ 

i made a forum post about this build. really nice in soloroaming cuz it fills the weaknesses that a normal Rev would have. It is pretty hard to play and somewhat diffrent. you will die alot but once it clicks its godlike! been running it for over a year now... I always played multipleclasses, but once i understood this build i never touched my other toons again. its just SO MUCH FUN and very unusual.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 1/19/2022 at 6:21 AM, Sahne.6950 said:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/106889-ventari-is-actually-viable/ 

i made a forum post about this build. really nice in soloroaming cuz it fills the weaknesses that a normal Rev would have. It is pretty hard to play and somewhat diffrent. you will die alot but once it clicks its godlike! been running it for over a year now... I always played multipleclasses, but once i understood this build i never touched my other toons again. its just SO MUCH FUN and very unusual.

Good Luck

Thanks for that. Looks like I basically have all the gear and it's just a matter of trying out Ventari which I haven't even looked at) instead of Jalis. Definitely worth a look seeing as there's no cost to it. 😀 

As for the TubbyTwoTon (TubbyEatWorld) mention, if you watch him, pay attention to how he times his burst (usually legend swap to proc hydro sigil and Shiro F2/Sword 2) - for example after the opponent's dodges, defensive skills, or in the middle of some vulnerable skills. He also has a habit of going defensive right after doing a burst by swapping to staff or dodging out and kiting, watching for the opponent's reaction. I fought him before and his burst timing and defensive timing are impeccable, especially the former as he was somewhat able to make sword/shield works, while I can never let go of sword offhand.

To be honest it's fine as long as you don't play power renegade/herald exclussively. Or fight thieves which seems to be 90% of roaming population these days. Running into sword+dagger weakness tanking thief that has nothing else to do but kitten around with people for zero risk is annoying enough to leave WvW and go play SPvP or other games for that matter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

To be honest it's fine as long as you don't play power renegade/herald exclussively. Or fight thieves which seems to be 90% of roaming population these days. Running into sword+dagger weakness tanking thief that has nothing else to do but kitten around with people for zero risk is annoying enough to leave WvW and go play SPvP or other games for that matter.

That's just low skill level talk. If you're experienced enough in both your own and your opponent's class, you know that Thief has major glaring weaknesses after any specific combo. Yes, even Stealth spamming Deadeyes.

That's why often people suggest the way to beat your opponent is to play the opponent's build and experience the strength and weakness for yourself. Once you get a feel for it, you know both your own and your opponent's cards and need only look for openings.

This goes for ALL classes, not just Rev, but this is actually most relevant to Rev and Thief because these 2 classes in particular are hard to master, but once someone learns all your capabilities, you need to be EXTREMELY skilled to pull off a decisive victory. 

Revenant roaming experience as a result is due to these factors. If you beat someone, it's a combination of outplaying them and them not being familiar with Rev. If you lose to someone, it's often a combination of them outplaying you or knowing Rev's specific openings.

And Rev in particular has VERY fatal openings due to their Energy system. You catch a Rev with their pants down and they collapse ridiculously easily.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:55 PM, Yasai.3549 said:

That's just low skill level talk. If you're experienced enough in both your own and your opponent's class, you know that Thief has major glaring weaknesses after any specific combo. Yes, even Stealth spamming Deadeyes.

That's why often people suggest the way to beat your opponent is to play the opponent's build and experience the strength and weakness for yourself. Once you get a feel for it, you know both your own and your opponent's cards and need only look for openings.

This goes for ALL classes, not just Rev, but this is actually most relevant to Rev and Thief because these 2 classes in particular are hard to master, but once someone learns all your capabilities, you need to be EXTREMELY skilled to pull off a decisive victory. 

Revenant roaming experience as a result is due to these factors. If you beat someone, it's a combination of outplaying them and them not being familiar with Rev. If you lose to someone, it's often a combination of them outplaying you or knowing Rev's specific openings.

And Rev in particular has VERY fatal openings due to their Energy system. You catch a Rev with their pants down and they collapse ridiculously easily.

Some dementia inducin self-contradicting talk  Go get some kills on a d/p thief that's not a braindead, they'd either interrupt you for days or reset every time to avoid these "glaring weaknesses". Thief simply has less of these openings comparing to rev and that's what makes them so annoying to face and popular for wannabe ninjas, especially after general power damage nerfs. 
Rev is a +1 class that doesn't have any means to escape as easily. Last time I played a thief I won fights vs revs by simply P4ing poor mfkers. Imagine having interruptable shadowstep alright.

Killing a good thief takes x3 times more effort and more often than not it's not even worth it. If only 90% of roamers weren't thieves (I wonder why.) these days.

UPD Nvm just realized what this is. One could think handing one's kitten over 4 times to them would be enough but nah they go searching for your posts instead.

Edited by Vasdamas Anklast.1607
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 2/1/2022 at 5:43 PM, captrowdy.9561 said:

I’m coming from ranger and warrior trying cel renegade. It’s fun to just shoot rockets of condi but I get cced and dead. Still learning. I’m used to being able to zip around and pick off the back line. 

Being above 40 energy in shiro all the time is important. Just drop below it if you have the switch to your next legend ready. This way you always have a stunbreak. you can use -40%Stunduration buffood. I use it alot and it makes breaking short stuns not needed. This way your energymanagement will become easier.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:55 AM, Yasai.3549 said:

You catch a Rev with their pants down and they collapse ridiculously easily.

True,but....

When someone knows how to manage their energy it is SO HARD to catch a rev with their pants down...

Especially if you use the buffood i suggested (idk the name sry) energymanagement will become a piece of cake, because you dont really need to break any CC that is shorter than 2 seconds.

I guess right now power shiro herald is one of the few high skill high reward classes for both pvp and wvw roaming, you gotta know every opponent profession to really shine with it.

It's not easy mode like deadeye or thief in general, if you don't wanna die you simply won't on thief.

Against good opponent's glint's heal is the worse healing of all game, against bad average ones you can make it as the best if you proper time their burst into you, for example walking intentionally in dh traps can insta full heal you.

It requires proper energy management and not mindless skill spam like a nade scrapper/holo does and it's rewarded for it.

It's not easy mode like necro that clicks 1 button for an extra hp bar and just autos in shroud or lich form and do more damage than you.

People who said to watch tubby are correct, you will see a lot how he does his burst properly, to proc hydro sigil mid sword3 into shiro f2 into sword2 etc.

Condis are a real pain for power rev, and yeah condi/cele builds are everywhere now. Anyway with the better cleansing sigil of wvw is a bit easier and possible to deal with them and of course you have a cleansing combo as well to follow when possible.

Start with riposting shadows which removes up to 4 non damaging conditions and hard cc like taunt fear etc.

Swap to staff to proc cleansing sigil for 3 additional cleanses into legend swap to cleanse another 1 because of the first trait in invocation and finishing off with staff4 for 2 more cleansings.

After this you should chain evades blocks and kite because you used lot of your kit.

His playstyle and strength comes a lot from ganks and surprise attack on unaware opponent, this because of his natural role of Team fighter and +1 build from pvp.

Although in wvw you can take and win most of 1vs1s simply outplaying your opponent.

The worst matchups in my opinion are against, core necros and fire weavers, they are too tanky to take down even if you play full glass.

One last trick tip that helped me a lot.

Play full zerk scholar runes and die a lot.

You will be super squishy with super burst, but you will learn how to proper defende yourself, kite, using LoS and mobility to survive. Don't be afraid to die over and over.

When you will feel you kinda mastered the profession and all his kit you can use a better solid roaming build with dura runes marauder pieces, maybe few toughness cavalier trinkets so you will be able to win even 1vX outnumbers.

Edited by grx.8714
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:43 AM, captrowdy.9561 said:

I’m coming from ranger and warrior trying cel renegade. It’s fun to just shoot rockets of condi but I get cced and dead. Still learning. I’m used to being able to zip around and pick off the back line. 

That's exactly where I'm coming from (warrior and ranger) and the build I most experimented with. I found cele renegade almost has a reverse logic to it than playing a power warrior or ranger, and my game play improved a bunch by slowing down, picking my dodges more carefully, and being mindful of exit options via shiro port (up cliffs, distance targets, etc). In other words, it's more stand and deliver than stick and move.

Cele renegade can drop so much damage on someone, I had better results maximizing my opportunity to do that, than by trying to zip around, move cleverly, etc. Well, that and learning when to shift to staff and letting people exhaust their bursts while I played super defensively, then back to the bow to punish.

I'm back to the ranger for now, but I did start to make some serious headway once I started to see the different fight logic involved.

Edited by Choppy.4183