PvP is an awful experience with an easy fix

mziven.2095

PVP is currently a frustrating and unenjoyable experience because it is inundated with nonhuman players (bots), AFK teammates, and toxic teammates. These three issues can be resolved or mitigated by allowing players to queue with full teams instead of only two people.

Having a random stranger waste your time by either refusing to play or by typing derogatory comments in chat is frustrating and entirely unwelcome. Although bot teammates exhibit neither of  characteristics, and as such are often superior to many random partners, their predictability and poor decision making often makes them more of a liability than an asset. In most cases, a bot teammate is also unwelcome and frustrating to play with. Removing bots from PvP, preventing afk teammates, and policing player interactions is challenging and resource intensive for game developers (devs). However, these problems can largely be mitigated by allowing players to select their entire team.

Allowing players to queue with full teams, instead of only two players, will  essentially bypass the previously listed problems. This option will provide players the opportunity to play with friends, people that are less likely be verbally abusive or go afk, and without bots. Additionally, teams can remove player/s from their group between matches or exclude/avoid them in the future if they are toxic or delinquent. These features are already available for tournaments and are facilitated by the Looking For Group (lfg) tab so should require minimum effort to implement. Ultimately, the option to queue with a full team improves player agency and enjoyment with minimal dev effort. 

TLDR: Five person queues resolves or mitigates the problems of afk teammates, toxic teammates, and bot teammates and will require minimum effort to implement. 

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 9

3 hours ago, HossDelgado.5832 said:

i literally miss the bots because people play so bad it's worse. they go afk after 2 mins and i get them 3-5 times in a row in my team. so yeah, bots are not the problem

Definitely. 

Bots are way better than 90% of pvpers here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, mziven.2095 said:

PVP is currently a frustrating and unenjoyable experience because it is inundated with nonhuman players (bots), AFK teammates, and toxic teammates. These three issues can be resolved or mitigated by allowing players to queue with full teams instead of only two people.

Having a random stranger waste your time by either refusing to play or by typing derogatory comments in chat is frustrating and entirely unwelcome. Although bot teammates exhibit neither of  characteristics, and as such are often superior to many random partners, their predictability and poor decision making often makes them more of a liability than an asset. In most cases, a bot teammate is also unwelcome and frustrating to play with. Removing bots from PvP, preventing afk teammates, and policing player interactions is challenging and resource intensive for game developers (devs). However, these problems can largely be mitigated by allowing players to select their entire team.

Allowing players to queue with full teams, instead of only two players, will  essentially bypass the previously listed problems. This option will provide players the opportunity to play with friends, people that are less likely be verbally abusive or go afk, and without bots. Additionally, teams can remove player/s from their group between matches or exclude/avoid them in the future if they are toxic or delinquent. These features are already available for tournaments and are facilitated by the Looking For Group (lfg) tab so should require minimum effort to implement. Ultimately, the option to queue with a full team improves player agency and enjoyment with minimal dev effort. 

TLDR: Five person queues resolves or mitigates the problems of afk teammates, toxic teammates, and bot teammates and will require minimum effort to implement. 

Ya they should you let team q up to a certain rating

But 5 qs can be as frustrating

it would have to be team q and solo q, otherwise things would go messy very quickly

Imagine 3 randoms + duo vs full team, no fun

Now even with full team q the population is so low that at offhours you'd be placed in some impossible matches, cuz you know, a lot of ppl want ez mmr, if they can already manipulate with duoq imagine with full team q. You'd  either have to dodge them or give up playing for a few hours hoping they're gone cuz all your matches would be insta losses.  The good teams would dodge each other for ez mmr, so they'd just farm noobs.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This solution is not intended to be  panacea. It is, however, a relatively quick and easy way to improve the quality of PvP for the preponderance of the player base. More fundamentally, this is a video game and I want to play with my friends. Why am I not allowed to play PvP with my friends? The justification for disallowing me to do so should be significant or the game needs to change. At any rate, maintaining the status quo seems unwise.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 11:39 PM, anjo.6143 said:

Definitely. 

To me pvp is always awful mostly because i suck at it played wow for 15 years and this game since beginning and i still suck at it bots or no bots so this is true.

I love the concept of pvp and i love playing it but i just suck at it i wish i didn't but i do.

My main problem is that i never find a class that i can learn fully i have too short attention span i might stick to one class for few days or weeks but then suddenly i see something shiny and will play that class instead so i end up playing 9 classes with mediocre at best results.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:58 PM, mziven.2095 said:

I didn't read any further than this because this was all that needed to be said.

Thank you.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

On 1/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, HossDelgado.5832 said:

i literally miss the bots because people play so bad it's worse. they go afk after 2 mins and i get them 3-5 times in a row in my team. so yeah, bots are not the problem

On 1/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, anjo.6143 said:

Definitely. 

Enough with this misleading deceptive propaganda in attempts to make people complacent with the idea of other players using bot synchs to throw games. You can get right on out of here with that.

These bots perform terribly and often are used to throw games for the person who is running them. There is nothing ok about it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Enough with this misleading deceptive propaganda in attempts to make people complacent with the idea of other players using bot synchs to throw games. You can get right on out of here with that.

These bots perform terribly and often are used to throw games for the person who is running them. There is nothing ok about it.

No, bots rotations and skills are better than 90% of pvp players, I dont give a crap if like it or not, it is fact, period. 

I dont like bots as I dont like pve, but I dislike even more the pvp players quality we have atm. And once I again, I dont care if u like it or not. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Scolix.4879 said:

To me pvp is always awful mostly because i suck at it played wow for 15 years and this game since beginning and i still suck at it bots or no bots so this is true.

I love the concept of pvp and i love playing it but i just suck at it i wish i didn't but i do.

My main problem is that i never find a class that i can learn fully i have too short attention span i might stick to one class for few days or weeks but then suddenly i see something shiny and will play that class instead so i end up playing 9 classes with mediocre at best results.

Are u on NA? If so, add me in game, u can practice with me, maybe i can help u improving

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, anjo.6143 said:

I dont care if u like it or not. 

That's not really the point though.

The point is that you are tossing around a strangely misinformation evaluation & opinion on this topic, which is entirely incorrect and in no way even remotely close to the truth.

The bots are in no way "better than 90% of the community" and they are not healthy for the game mode either.

Also, let's not forget the sound reality & principle that this mode is supposed to be pvp, not pvm.

Only if the 5-man premade is paired with another 5-man premade group, otherwise it would have too advantage with communication (for example using voice chat vs a random pug group).

Sometimes I think the best way to remove some toxicity (since banning players after they have been reported seems too time consuming for ArenaNet) is to completely remove the chat, including the /say, during a pvp match.

EDIT: Also, why am I paired with people in my block list?

Edited by Urud.4925
  • Thanks 1

I would welcome the ability to queue ranked with my friends and climb. 

Remove a win-traders' ability to put throwers or throw-bots on your team and their only chance when matched against you is to play the match out fairly.

Either that or try to bribe you into letting them win, and that's much more blatant and reportable than vague sketchy behavior. If a team is good enough they'll be able to climb to the top with few or no loses legitimately because the random factor is removed. 

Plus PvP is simply more fun with friends. I'd love to be able to queue with them while enjoying the more competitive/rewarding environment of ranked. 

• Like 2

Gold and Plat is literally just win trading now. I see obvious wintraders constantly getting reported and nothing being done about them.

The PvP experience in this game is so atrocious it has reached the point that i'd rather go back to playing with bots in my team.

1 hour ago, Kuya.6495 said:

Didn't we used to have a team vs team ranked queue and it took so long to find matches, sometimes up to hours, that anet decided to do away with it after constant whining on the forums?

Yup. Now some people are hard pushing for mixed queue (Premade 2-5 + Solo). Like the olden days where you had the very real possibility of running into a actual coordinated team/guild that would steam roll randoms, that got high enough up there. They should remove titles and badges and stuff them into ATs though where the prestige belongs in any case. Some people act like this return to mixed queue will be a magic key that'll revive Spvp's population when it isn't. I say bring it back and force it on the rest of the population.

I'm not going to contest the push for its return, because all this forum have boiled down to is spamming back to back nerf and removal whine threads, and keeping down classes that some inexperienced players(sometimes experienced with main class bias) have a problem with. Making terrible suggestions with a very broad and vague argument of game design as a mask for deflection. The return to stacked premade matches fits snuggly right in here. Looking for very specific edges. So have at it.

• Thanks 2

If you really want easy fix to those issue, there is something easier than 5 man q.

- Bot and AFK: Make the gamemode only reward non-tradable things, make an sPvP currency that can only be used on an sPvP item shop that offer non-tradable items. I can garantee you that you'll seldom see any bots or afk players by doing this.

- Toxic player: Right clic on name in the chat and "ignore".

On 1/1/2022 at 3:17 PM, mziven.2095 said:

I very much dislike bots and have posted about it previously, but humans can be so much worse. I just want to play with friends or other people that at the very least want to play!

I agree with you.
But it's sad that many people would rather see the game sink than improve. Several comments that do not add anything to the speech.

I made a topic similar to yours and wondered why I can't play pvp with my friends. I can get gear from fractals, dungeons, WvW raids and open world. But pvp I can't, because of the developers' decision a part of the game is blocked for us. Because of that my friends and I stopped playing Gw2, we play it a few times a month. We are fans of PvPs and despite everything the GW2 pvp is very good to play. But unfortunately you cannot play with friends.
You have friends? Then find another game, the PVP is blocked for those who have friends and want to get gear. GW2 is mmo that encourages playing pvp alone?

All MMO games currently allow you to enter PVP in groups, except GW2. Despite the guesswork of many people, so far no one has given us a good reason for not having pvp in a group of 3 or 4?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pablauto.4210 said:

I agree with you.
But it's sad that many people would rather see the game sink than improve. Several comments that do not add anything to the speech.

I made a topic similar to yours and wondered why I can't play pvp with my friends. I can get gear from fractals, dungeons, WvW raids and open world. But pvp I can't, because of the developers' decision a part of the game is blocked for us. Because of that my friends and I stopped playing Gw2, we play it a few times a month. We are fans of PvPs and despite everything the GW2 pvp is very good to play. But unfortunately you cannot play with friends.
You have friends? Then find another game, the PVP is blocked for those who have friends and want to get gear. GW2 is mmo that encourages playing pvp alone?

All MMO games currently allow you to enter PVP in groups, except GW2. Despite the guesswork of many people, so far no one has given us a good reason for not having pvp in a group of 3 or 4?

That's very wrong...

1- You can play sPvP with your friends, it's easy. You just can't do it in ranked game.

2- You can get gear from sPvP despite not needing it in this gamemode. (hint: reward tracks)

10 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

That's very wrong...

1- You can play sPvP with your friends, it's easy. You just can't do it in ranked game.

2- You can get gear from sPvP despite not needing it in this gamemode. (hint: reward tracks)

We do dungeons, fractals and PVP to get ascendant gear.
And as you said yourself the only way to get ascending equipment is through ranked.
All other modes you can play with your friends and get ascendand and unlock legendary. And the pvp as I said earlier is the only one that doesn't.

When reading the previous comment it is obvious that I am talking about ranked. Can we focus on the subject and not change the focus of the problem? Thanks...

• Like 1