Why play ranger in open world/farming?

ShionKreth.1542

I like ranger, mechanically, and have been a ranger main since I started a year or so ago... but I'm starting to wonder what ranger actually brings to the table in open world gameplay (I'm just running core marksmanship/skirmishing/beastmastery atm). I feel like, compared to my alts, ranger is not very sturdy, struggles with conditions, doesn't offer great group support and doesn't do especially good damage either - I just have a slightly longer range longbow, and pets which are hardly unique to this class. I was just hoping a more experienced ranger player could let me know what's so great about our class, because while I like playing it... I'm starting to feel kind've ineffectual, and am not sure if it's the class, if the class is not actually a good fit for me, or if I'm just playing it wrong. Thanks in advance, fellow rangers.

Edit: Really appreciate so many people giving me feedback. 🙂

Edited by ShionKreth.1542
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Rangers strengths would likely be

- Using the pet as a Tank in story and Open world content, thus getting the damage off urself, something like bear is pretty suitable for that content.

- 1v1 and 1vX capability in WvWvW with its SB builds.

- Power Soulbeast is one of the strongest DPS in the meta regarding fractals ( Although pug meta tend to drift towards more condi orintated builds)

- Druid is the best Support in the game within raids.

for solo content i'd recommend

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Soulbeast_-_Condition_Skirmisher

oncve u've unlocked elites ofcourse.

Core Speccs will all feel pretty bad, u dont tend to get into the meat of the proffession prior entry into its Elite speccs.

• Like 2

When I need/want a break from my typical power Soulbeast build, I have a condi ranger build emphasizing bleeds that I've had great success with in all kinds of OW gameplay. I actually have a druid version of the same build I have more fun with, but roll up to anything going on with other players and a fair percentage of those players will ask why you're not healing. 

However, if you like a melee based playstyle, Daddy's suggestion above is excellent. It's also worth keeping in mind that just about any build can be modified to your preferences. I know I went through a lot of experimentation before settling on the 3 I use (I think it's good to have 2 or more builds for different situations, and to avoid burnout).

• Like 2

What, more precisely, is it about Ranger that makes you feel it is ineffectual?  Or, perhaps, what do you feel is lacking in the profession that would make it seem more effective?

I'm a core ranger main and don't have too many issues completing OWPvE content, but I main ranger in just about everything because I enjoy the concept of the profession.  My builds are nowhere near OP or Meta, but they get the job done for me and I find my time playing the profession to be rewarding for me.  Maybe it's just not the right class for you?

• Like 3

Was going to edit previous, but this isn't related to that post.

For me, I enjoy the ranger/pet synergy (such as it is with this iteration in GW2, nerfs and all) and finding ways to work in tandem with my pet.  Currently, I enjoy melee with Sw/D and tiger pet but will swap to LB for range when I prefer to engage from a distance.  The F2 from the tiger enhances my melee attacks and I particularly enjoy the evasion that I get with the sword and dagger skills.  It's a play-style that suits me for the profession. 

Many other rangers will prefer Axes.  To me, they don't fit the idea of what a ranger is, so I prefer not to use 'em.  Same with short bow.  <shrug> 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

I like ranger, mechanically, and have been a ranger main since I started a year or so ago... but I'm starting to wonder what ranger actually brings to the table in open world gameplay (I'm just running core marksmanship/skirmishing/beastmastery atm). I feel like, compared to my alts, ranger is not very sturdy, struggles with conditions, doesn't offer great group support and doesn't do especially good damage either - I just have a slightly longer range longbow, and pets which are hardly unique to this class. I was just hoping a more experienced ranger player could let me know what's so great about our class, because while I like playing it... I'm starting to feel kind've ineffectual, and am not sure if it's the class, if the class is not actually a good fit for me, or if I'm just playing it wrong. Thanks in advance, fellow rangers.

I think what you need to do it try out some other classes and see if what you suspect is true. I don't think anyone can simply say you are correct or not. Personally, I find Ranger is a decent OW class, not the worst, not the best either. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 3

Depends exactly what you're looking to do in open world, but I would argue Ranger has the tools needed for whatever you're after. Most of open world doesn't require much thought, but to run through some common scenarios where there are notable decisons.

Zerging

The only thing that matters is tagging enemies, so you want to have ranged multitarget attacks or at least good mobility for melee cleaving. Sadly, this may be one of Ranger's weaker parts. Barrage is great but it's slow and piercing attacks can be very awkward. It's no Thief Shortbow/staff, Scholar Staff or Revenant Hammer. Untamed definitely will help with attacking large groups.

Zerging a boss

Nothing matters. Though Druid is particularly great for keeping the zerg alive, amping their damage and breaking defiance just like Raids. But United Legions Waystations, sheer numbers and Guardian being broken make that role kinda redundant.

Soloing a boss

Animal companions can trivialise some content and are wandering into chainsaws in others (literally in the case of the Labyrinthine Horror). The former is an obvious strength but the problem of the latter is solved with a Soulbeast. Defiance bars are one of the concerns for this type of content, though again it's been alleviated a lot by Ice Brood Saga masteries. Ranger is one of the best professions in the game for breaking them. Druid and Soulbeast give incidental tools, while Untamed's best builds seem like they will focus on spamming interrupts. Ranger also has great options for regenerating that aren't major losses in DPS as well as evasion on some weapon skills.

Heart of Thorns

Even these days the jungle is just super deadly if you aren't prepared. Greatsword/Longbow for clearing trash/bursting veterans, traps to let condi builds quickly clear trash, breaking bars, good regen and a permanent aggro magnet by your side... Again, all the same strengths I've been mentioning. Ranger has a lot of room to tweak builds to better fit what you're comfortable with, a soulbeast might opt for a Boar, Pig or Siamoth rather than the classic Iboga for better control, sustain and/or a stun break.

• Like 4

For open world and solo'ing all pve content I just use a modified version of Hizen's build for Condi SB for max healing with poison. Poison trap/ Spider Poison ground based effects both are essential full heals. Duel dagger allows for constant application as well and swap to Shortbow for any ranged assistance. Beastmastery means when merged you also are constantly passively healing. You end up with so much sustain its hard to die against legendary bounties as long as you are merged. Fractals easy to solo. 
Never play core Ranger in any content, it is 100% weaker then Soulbeast. 

Only main issues with Condi SB is aoe effects which those 2 poison fields and the beast aoe do help with, but for single targets condi shreds through them and its hard to die even in exotics without infusions. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

What, more precisely, is it about Ranger that makes you feel it is ineffectual?  Or, perhaps, what do you feel is lacking in the profession that would make it seem more effective?

I'm a core ranger main and don't have too many issues completing OWPvE content, but I main ranger in just about everything because I enjoy the concept of the profession.  My builds are nowhere near OP or Meta, but they get the job done for me and I find my time playing the profession to be rewarding for me.  Maybe it's just not the right class for you?

I also enjoy the ranger class fantasy. 🙂 To answer you, I think it's the lack of sustain and almost complete inability to cleanse, without a significant enough upside to balance that out, that I feel is lacking. Of course, it's very possible I'm just not properly utilizing all the resources at my disposal, since other ranger players are clearly managing somehow. As far as I'm concerned, it's equally likely that it's not right for me, or that I just don't 'get' how I'm supposed to play one properly. I understand no one can answer that for me in a forum post, I just wanted to hear from other rangers who understand what each class does what we offer and what I should expect. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

That's enough.

It's open world, is not even challenging unless you plan to do legendary foes or very specific and solo mobs. If you want to play on easy mode, drop ranger and build a trailblazer scourge.

I like ranger... and also want to stop dying all the time. 😄 It frustratingly seems to happen more frequently on my main than my alts - it's VERY possible I'm a below average player, and even more possible that I'm a particularly weak ranger player. 
Scourge is definitely not on the table. My pool of characters are ranger, revenant, warrior and am just trying out thief, now. Tried guardian early on too, but it wasn't for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

I like ranger... and also want to stop dying all the time. 😄 It frustratingly seems to happen more frequently on my main than my alts - it's VERY possible I'm a below average player, and even more possible that I'm a particularly weak ranger player. 
Scourge is definitely not on the table. My pool of characters are ranger, revenant, warrior and am just trying out thief, now. Tried guardian early on too, but it wasn't for me. 

Are you playing these all at core? 

Over the years due to elites and balancing every release of elites have resulted in nerfs to the core foundations of proffessions which means they've grown considerably weaker over time to compensate the elites. 

Which means commonly core speccs can feel off, restrictive and weak in content espically past the core game. 

Might makes right spellbreaker build for a warrior for example can solo arah quite easily if your practiced with warrior

Revenant has access to the strongest solo build in the game via renegade. 

But neither of these would achieve close to that if they were being played outside these elites realistically. 

At core level, you will struggle to find a proffession that will fit what your after, some core speccs are stronger then others. However in every case they don't add up. 

The games taken a shift in balance, core proffessions were made during a time boons were not 100% uptime alacrity didn't exist and more, now that these have changed its ment lots of core speccs got nerfs with no compensation while elites power creep was accelerated. 

For example, if you changed to trailblazer soulbeast open world builds you would find quite quickly you would feel almost immortal compared to trying to play core ranger. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Are you playing these all at core? 

Over the years due to elites and balancing every release of elites have resulted in nerfs to the core foundations of proffessions which means they've grown considerably weaker over time to compensate the elites. 

Which means commonly core speccs can feel off, restrictive and weak in content espically past the core game. 

Might makes right spellbreaker build for a warrior for example can solo arah quite easily if your practiced with warrior

Revenant has access to the strongest solo build in the game via renegade. 

But neither of these would achieve close to that if they were being played outside these elites realistically. 

At core level, you will struggle to find a proffession that will fit what your after, some core speccs are stronger then others. However in every case they don't add up. 

The games taken a shift in balance, core proffessions were made during a time boons were not 100% uptime alacrity didn't exist and more, now that these have changed its ment lots of core speccs got nerfs with no compensation while elites power creep was accelerated. 

For example, if you changed to trailblazer soulbeast open world builds you would find quite quickly you would feel almost immortal compared to trying to play core ranger. 

It IS sounding like I shouldn't have too high expectations for a core class... which is a bit of a shame, but that's neither here nor there. I am like 50-60 points into spellbreaker, which definitely did elevate it from core warrior. Revenant is still core and seems pretty darn strong anyway; thief is only level 55 or so. I'm about 80% of the way through unlocking soulbeast, but for open world I like having the pet active - perhaps I could entertain trying untamed... though it seems a little complicated. Thanks for your input, either way. 🙂 

6 hours ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

I also enjoy the ranger class fantasy. 🙂 To answer you, I think it's the lack of sustain and almost complete inability to cleanse, without a significant enough upside to balance that out, that I feel is lacking. Of course, it's very possible I'm just not properly utilizing all the resources at my disposal, since other ranger players are clearly managing somehow. As far as I'm concerned, it's equally likely that it's not right for me, or that I just don't 'get' how I'm supposed to play one properly. I understand no one can answer that for me in a forum post, I just wanted to hear from other rangers who understand what each class does what we offer and what I should expect. 

For Cleanse, Sigil of cleansing works fine with Dolyak stance covering anything to do with stuns or slows. Trailblazer Condi SB is incredibly sustainable, just watch Hizen's YT vid on the ultimate Ranger build for open world for good examples, either use that spec or make your own around it like many have 🙂

3 hours ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

It IS sounding like I shouldn't have too high expectations for a core class... which is a bit of a shame, but that's neither here nor there. I am like 50-60 points into spellbreaker, which definitely did elevate it from core warrior. Revenant is still core and seems pretty darn strong anyway; thief is only level 55 or so. I'm about 80% of the way through unlocking soulbeast, but for open world I like having the pet active - perhaps I could entertain trying untamed... though it seems a little complicated. Thanks for your input, either way. 🙂 

Ah I see, well if you want to have the pet out then yes you should have to deal with less dps and less sustain 🙂 That goes more so for Untamed as its the least pet dps spec we will have. Its rather unfortunate but Anet really doesn't want to deal with the bad pet ai and balancing 

2 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Ah I see, well if you want to have the pet out then yes you should have to deal with less dps and less sustain 🙂 That goes more so for Untamed as its the least pet dps spec we will have. Its rather unfortunate but Anet really doesn't want to deal with the bad pet ai and balancing 

Ok, so it is kind've like I was worried about - the ranger's class defining mechanic is not THAT good, which is why soulbeast is so popular, since it makes you stronger and you just use your pet when necessary.

Edited by ShionKreth.1542

5 hours ago, ShionKreth.1542 said:

Ok, so it is kind've like I was worried about - the ranger's class defining mechanic is not THAT good, which is why soulbeast is so popular, since it makes you stronger and you just use your pet when necessary.

That really depends on what you want from the class.  I don't seem to have the difficulty that you mentioned earlier with my core ranger, although I will say that there is some content that is much more difficult for me when using core.  Most times, that content is expansion content for which the elite builds were more likely designed to manage than core.  I've unlocked both soulbeast and druid, so I can swap between builds should I find myself in situations that warrant a different approach.  But, at the end of the day, I really prefer core -- for me, it is the ranger that GW2 designed it to be from the start whereas soulbeast and druid are their own entities and not a "true" ranger.  That's my opinion, though.

Soulbeast was a close second, but when Anet took away the ability to swap pets in combat, it quickly lost its appeal for me.  That's when I went back to core.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

That really depends on what you want from the class.  I don't seem to have the difficulty that you mentioned earlier with my core ranger, although I will say that there is some content that is much more difficult for me when using core.  Most times, that content is expansion content for which the elite builds were more likely designed to manage than core.  I've unlocked both soulbeast and druid, so I can swap between builds should I find myself in situations that warrant a different approach.  But, at the end of the day, I really prefer core -- for me, it is the ranger that GW2 designed it to be from the start whereas soulbeast and druid are their own entities and not a "true" ranger.  That's my opinion, though.

Soulbeast was a close second, but when Anet took away the ability to swap pets in combat, it quickly lost its appeal for me.  That's when I went back to core.

I agree with you, core is definitely the most archetypal ranger. Even though the elite specs may have more oomph, it's still just a matter of skill what you can do with a core spec - skill that is just not coming naturally, to me (I think I just can't manage to evade as many attacks as I need to). How do you manage with condition-heavy enemies, though? We ARE totally being trolled by arenanet that our only utility skill to cleanse is to put our conditions on our pet, once every 40 seconds, and now with the resistance change that can seriously hurt the pet. Healing spring, brown bear and cleansing sigil is everything we have available right? I don't like the spring, so I think I need to add cleansing sigils to my weapons... but I resent it.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:51 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

For open world and solo'ing all pve content I just use a modified version of Hizen's build for Condi SB for max healing with poison. Poison trap/ Spider Poison ground based effects both are essential full heals. Duel dagger allows for constant application as well and swap to Shortbow for any ranged assistance. Beastmastery means when merged you also are constantly passively healing. You end up with so much sustain its hard to die against legendary bounties as long as you are merged. Fractals easy to solo. 
Never play core Ranger in any content, it is 100% weaker then Soulbeast. 

Only main issues with Condi SB is aoe effects which those 2 poison fields and the beast aoe do help with, but for single targets condi shreds through them and its hard to die even in exotics without infusions. 

Would You mind sharing Your build?

11 hours ago, Devson.8203 said:

Would You mind sharing Your build?

Sure can!: 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAgiVlZkxe6ZTFOpkGameqXfP3UiEox9E-zRJYkR3fhkSB0TC0bMo3lQEJ480D3jpBEPbA-e

I'm not full asc myself yet, but had great results when I was trying out the spec in full exotics. End goal is that for gear. Hizen uses Dagger+Torch for his swap and Iboga for merge and uses Moa stance over Poison trap. I changed to this just because Poison trap is just so good with this spec, and since I had ground aoe through that and the spiders merge abilities it free'd up not needing Torche's effects. Allowing for shortbow use - which is great to have should you need to range a mob or hit anything from a distance, also great to have quick access to shortbow five for finishing off or putting a great dent into any Bar. 

Since you apply taunt, slow, immob, cripple, and can daze/stun when needed I have never once had an issue solo breaking any bar in the game quickly. You always stay merged, pet being out makes you weaker as merged you have a constant passive heal from beastmastery and of course its multiple buffs. Dolyak stance up whenever you are in trouble or to stun break as it makes you take massively reduced damage as with your dodge rolls, you have protection and it up at once. You constantly have Regen on you, and of course, constantly heal on every single poison application. Combo fields stack with Vulture stance, so Poison field applies 3 Poison to up to 5 targets, allowing for 170x5x3 heals every tick it does. (usually always end up on full health against multiple targets, great get out of trouble ability for harder places or boss fights). Basically while Vulture stance is up its extremely hard to die, great opener with SOTP, cause of its instant 25 stacks of might. 

On 2/9/2022 at 11:17 PM, ShionKreth.1542 said:

I think I found your problem you are using wilderness survival but not it survival utilitys and not the middle grandmaster traitline 

Every survival utility will give you 2 condi cleanses and you traited already that your heal a survival ability procs so you get 4 cleanses. Investing into beastmastery will last middle traitline will give you condition cleanses on your pet swap (additionally you get quickness with the pet merge) 

I changed your build a little bit, you will still do posion dmg and that your traitline procs but you will get 8 condi cleanses, 4 on your healskill, 2 on quickening zephyr and 2 on pet merge (lesser quickening zephyr) with the zephyrs you also gain 2 sources of quickness 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAgiVlFkxe6ZdFOpkGameKXvP3UAyzIHH-zRJYkR3fhkSB0TC0bMo3lQEJ480D3jpBEPbA-e

I hope you can enjoy it and it will help 

Edit: nvm I watched the wrong build but I still gave it condition cleanses so you can use it

Edited by Avatar.3568
I made a mistake, sorry :(
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Avatar.3568 said:

I think I found your problem you are using wilderness survival but not it survival utilitys and not the middle grandmaster traitline 

Every survival utility will give you 2 condi cleanses and you traited already that your heal a survival ability procs so you get 4 cleanses. Investing into beastmastery will last middle traitline will give you condition cleanses on your pet swap (additionally you get quickness with the pet merge) 

I changed your build a little bit, you will still do posion dmg and that your traitline procs but you will get 8 condi cleanses, 4 on your healskill, 2 on quickening zephyr and 2 on pet merge (lesser quickening zephyr) with the zephyrs you also gain 2 sources of quickness 

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POxAgiVlFkxe6ZdFOpkGameKXvP3UAyzIHH-zRJYkR3fhkSB0TC0bMo3lQEJ480D3jpBEPbA-e

I hope you can enjoy it and it will help 

Edit: nvm I watched the wrong build but I still gave it condition cleanses so you can use it

That is what Sigil of cleansing is for on weapon swap, usually you have it on both weapons but I've not really been needing it as Dolyak stance already removes the noticeable ones and the damaging ones are not even noticeable. If you need to cleanse, weapon swap. I changed my daggers just due to those reasons but yes if you have it on daggers as well, its fine. What you did there was nerf the specs dps by over 25% and lost the better heal that gives more regen for a trait not needed. You also nerfed the specs sustain.