Thinking of Returning - should I start fresh

Renegade.4983

Hi All,

Just looking for some generic advice. It's been a very long time since I played, in fact I have no idea which if any expansions I have. I like tanking in other games so that will be my preferred role. Should I just jump into an old character that likely exists once I have downloaded. Or given the long break, i am sure lots have changed, should I just re-roll to re-learn everything fully? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renegade.4983 said:

Should I just jump into an old character that likely exists once I have downloaded. Or given the long break, i am sure lots have changed, should I just re-roll to re-learn everything fully? 

Whatever your decision will be, make sure you do not delete your old character(s), because birthday presents are rewarded by character age, not account age. So it is wise to keep at least your oldest character (you can check on your character's age using /age in game chat).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Starting fresh is probably a good idea, the game has changed a lot over the years so depending on when you last played those changes could be minor or very alien to you.

If you like tanking though, can't go wrong with a Minion Master Necro.
They can be very very tanky in the Pve game, borderline invincible in most of it.

• Like 3

There are no threat mechanics here in the sense that you're used to from tanking in games like WoW.  You can't force enemies to attack only you in most cases.  It's also generally not a good strategy to soak damage.  However, if what you're looking for are high-sustain builds that die hard, every class is capable with the right build - even poor "downstate meme" elementalist!  High sustain builds are generally only used in open world/story content or sometimes in competitive play, though.

I don't see anything wrong with picking up where you left off on a max level character.  On the other hand, if you want to ease back into things there's also nothing wrong with starting fresh from level 1 with a new character.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, VDAC.2137 said:

I’m in a similar place, not having played regularly since early 2019. I have every class and most elite specs leveled and geared but I seem to have forgotten how to do anything. 😅 I think I’ll create a new character to get the intro tutorials again…

The first expansion zone seem to have better tutorials then core and other expansions mate so shouldent be a problem to start on an existing lvl80

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

The first expansion zone seem to have better tutorials then core and other expansions mate so shouldent be a problem to start on an existing lvl80

Do you mean the first part of Heart of Thorns or the new expansion? (I didn’t think the latter could be accessed yet.) Sorry for the newb question — I feel like a newb again! 😅

23 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I would hope he is referring to End of Dragons, as I can't think of any tutorial (zones or otherwise) in Heart of Thorns. 

I don’t recall any either but I would have probably skipped if there had been. So do we know there is going to be an introductory tutorial in the new zone? For new or any level 80? Or the option to start a new character there as well?

5 minutes ago, VDAC.2137 said:

I don’t recall any either but I would have probably skipped if there had been. So do we know there is going to be an introductory tutorial in the new zone? For new or any level 80? Or the option to start a new character there as well?

It seem to be lvl80 like other expansions and yes I it was EoD I spoke about should have specified.

We do know from streams that they have hearts to explain more things then we had earlier.

• Thanks 1