I was just trying to help.

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

but a lot is also an issue of framing

There are too many that comes across as if they are presenting an idea from an Unassailable Bastion of Truth. Framing anything like that online is an invitation for people to tear it apart.

This is true.

There are also those who seem to have newly arrived, and are filled with lots of random ideas pulled from other games they've known or just their own imaginations, but don't seem to have actually learned what GW2 is before wanting to change it. It's easy to bristle when someone shows up at your house for the first time and wants to rearrange the furniture.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 2/20/2022 at 7:40 AM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

the worst offender is the Tome of Knowledge. i even let them stack at 250 before delete.

All those spirit shards and you just delete them? Eat the books by going to Miani and converting in clusters then wiki or google "material conversion". Thank me when you're rich.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 3:26 AM, Miss Lana.5276 said:

You're deleting bonus Magnetite Shards and Gaeting Crystals my guy. Talk to the vendor in the Aerodrome and you can turn them in.

They don't count to the weekly currency cap either.

I know I'm getting a lot of confused and laugh emojis, but in my defense this exchange is explicitly explained nowhere in this game.  

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

Maybe a key+mouse button combo can be used to lock items. And then important drops are auto locked on pickup and need to be unlocked.

Would make invisible bags irrelevant...

Related: Guys! Pro tip! Buy a 20-slot invisible bag for your character. Place it in the very last bag slot. Use it to store all the food, quartz, potions, weapon swaps, and whatever else you need, and never risk it being accidentally salvaged or sold.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Would make invisible bags irrelevant...

Related: Guys! Pro tip! Buy a 20-slot invisible bag for your character. Place it in the very last bag slot. Use it to store all the food, quartz, potions, weapon swaps, and whatever else you need, and never risk it being accidentally salvaged or sold.

Stop confusing people, this is too complicated!

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Alarm.7286 said:

The collection system in this game is the far worst I have seen... You can spend a whole day looking under rocks... or spend sometime time looking for a guide and switch screens back and forth.

Or download the overlay taco and just use that which involved neither. 

the easiest way to fix this problem is if you have a spare character slot or a item mule simply pile all your trash into that character all the 100's of items you need to type out six paragraphs just to delete, then just delete the character its as simple as that i've been doing this for 6 years now works every time

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with OP the amount of stuff you get in this game that just eats away at storage. All the currencies are all over the place and I am afraid it's gonna get worse after launch of end of dragons. For God sake just streamline things. And also the whole name typing to delete also very stupid. Delete are you sure yes, done. I get the want to sell slots and what not but it's a mess. But after so many years don't think it will chance. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I do agree that in many cases the item description could improve. For some items there is a part in the description that a certain explorer might want it, but mostly it is void.

I also think that the window where you can type in the name could improve. For example by adding some text that it is a valuable or usefull item and to check the wiki (with a clickable link to the item's wiki page) for more information.

As for the downvoting.
1: Trolls exist. Unfortunally, this forum sometimes look like a cave in Queensdale, littered with rocks.
2: Do not pick up these rocks. It will only give them attention. Thats what they crave
3: it is not really downvoting and does nothing. We all know that most negative smiley's are trolls and we should just ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

On 2/21/2022 at 4:30 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

This is true.

There are also those who seem to have newly arrived, and are filled with lots of random ideas pulled from other games they've known or just their own imaginations, but don't seem to have actually learned what GW2 is before wanting to change it. It's easy to bristle when someone shows up at your house for the first time and wants to rearrange the furniture.

An MMO isn't anything like a person's house though. It's a sprawling experience made up of varying playstyles and minigames that developers are trying to fit together into a cohesive whole to accommodate a variety of people. It's reasonable to share and talk about what you want and why, or discuss with someone why they want this or that thing. It's reasonable to not want an MMO to change too much on a fundamental level, to have the expectation it will still be more or less the same game, even if some details change on the surface (I have personally seen an MMO I like changed to an appallingly sweeping degree before and it wasn't fun, to say the least). But I don't get justifying bristling at people who have unwanted ideas, especially new players of all things. It's not like developers are sitting on the forums all day and are counting down to the moment they will implement a random idea, unless it gets quickly shot down by existing players first. I've seen too many times in video game discourse where players get blamed for suggesting a thing that some people didn't want after something like what was asked for is implemented and we have to remember that when it comes down to it, the only decision-making power us players have in MMOs is to pay or not to pay and to play or not to play. Which can be very galling on those (hopefully rare) occasions when that decision is all we've got in the face of sweeping and unwanted changes, but the point is, our discourse is not on its own deciding what gets added or removed from these games.

And questions that help tease out what other people want and why, what we want and why, are probably far more useful to the developers when they do get information from forums than anything they can get from people bristling at each other about what should or shouldn't happen, or what is really worth the time.

There are times bristling makes sense, but mostly at studios when they don't listen and take our wallets us for granted, not other players.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

It's reasonable to not want an MMO to change too much on a fundamental level, to have the expectation it will still be more or less the same game [...] But I don't get justifying bristling at people who have unwanted ideas, especially new players of all things.

The problem isn't unwanted ideas. It's ideas presented as universal truth and people actually unwilling to discuss their ideas.

There are plenty of posts along the line of "I'm new, and this doesn't work, and that feels awful. Am I missing something?" that get filled with lots of tips and ideas in a matter of minutes, and end up with productive and fun discussions about game systems, how they work, and what improvements people can think of.

Then there's the posts that start with "I'm new, and this game is stupid and does everything wrong and if it doesn't implement this grind and that vertical progression and those power moves it's dead", and the moment another poster questions the post's premise the original poster moves the discussion to a personal rather than thematical level.

We've all seen those kinds of posts, and probably seen way too many of the "this game does everything wrong and you're all stupid" posts from new and old players alike, which frankly makes it hard to react to them impartially. I know I've personally reduced my forum interactions drastically because I find some widely used key words and phrases triggering me into dismissing posts and posters alike without being able to stay neutral.

At this point, I'm annoyed by people on both sides of the fence (and am pretty much ignoring posts based on the posters interacting within them more often than I'm comfortable with), but I can emphasise with the people that seem to be "bristling at people" if any of the ideas promoting grind, uncooperative pve gameplay, addictive systems and the like under the guise of "increasing player retention" for example come up. I know the topics are new to some people, but personally I've read those discussions way too many times to trust myself to stay neutral when those topics come up for the millionth time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

An MMO isn't anything like a person's house though. It's a sprawling experience made up of varying playstyles and minigames that developers are trying to fit together into a cohesive whole to accommodate a variety of people. It's reasonable to share and talk about what you want and why, or discuss with someone why they want this or that thing. It's reasonable to not want an MMO to change too much on a fundamental level, to have the expectation it will still be more or less the same game, even if some details change on the surface (I have personally seen an MMO I like changed to an appallingly sweeping degree before and it wasn't fun, to say the least). But I don't get justifying bristling at people who have unwanted ideas, especially new players of all things. It's not like developers are sitting on the forums all day and are counting down to the moment they will implement a random idea, unless it gets quickly shot down by existing players first. I've seen too many times in video game discourse where players get blamed for suggesting a thing that some people didn't want after something like what was asked for is implemented and we have to remember that when it comes down to it, the only decision-making power us players have in MMOs is to pay or not to pay and to play or not to play. Which can be very galling on those (hopefully rare) occasions when that decision is all we've got in the face of sweeping and unwanted changes, but the point is, our discourse is not on its own deciding what gets added or removed from these games.

And questions that help tease out what other people want and why, what we want and why, are probably far more useful to the developers when they do get information from forums than anything they can get from people bristling at each other about what should or shouldn't happen, or what is really worth the time.

There are times bristling makes sense, but mostly at studios when they don't listen and take our wallets us for granted, not other players.

It was a description of a feeling. Of course an MMO isn’t a personal home. I wasn’t trying to justify being rude to people making suggestions.

Its good to take a second and understand something before asking it to be changed, though. Sometimes it’s clear that newcomer’s criticisms or suggestions lack that. Ideally, veterans would gently explain the context or history a newcomer might be lacking, and the newcomer would be open to learning and a good discussion would be had.

Overall, this forum would benefit from more humility all the way around. Each of us offering our ideas and desires knowing that none of us have the full picture and all of us have different situations and interests.

But that’s also true with the developers. They understand things we don’t; they have pressures players don’t. And they can’t give every player everything they want, if for no other reason that players want sometimes contradictory things.

More humility, less ego would go a long way.

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Did you take this picture with a potato from 1997?

Lol, because this is the important matter there. The user of this forum are just so strange ...

But to answer your'e so VERY important question, i made this picture with my handy, because you can't screenshot when the "type the name" window pops up ^^.

10 hours ago, Sindust.7059 said:

The best solution would be if ANet implemented a collection storage where all the collection rewards would be dumped into, and you could take them out when you need them, but not put back. Kind of like they already do with the skins.

I would love such a thing. This would also help anet with "i did delete xy Item, PLS RECOVER" emails.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Overall, this forum would benefit from more humility all the way around. Each of us offering our ideas and desires knowing that none of us have the full picture and all of us have different situations and interests.

But that’s also true with the developers. They understand things we don’t; they have pressures players don’t. And they can’t give every player everything they want, if for no other reason that players want sometimes contradictory things.

More humility, less ego would go a long way.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was trying to get at, but you made it clearer. We made our way there together with some thoughtful discussion and now hopefully this forum is a little better off for it. 😄

• Sad 1

People on this forum tend to be against any idea they don't agree with. It makes sense, since any potential update you don't care about may as well be a bad update and a "waste of dev resources".

But, for the most part, I agree that it's annoying being asked to type out the name of some of these items, moreso when you have duplicates of the item in question. If we have to type something to confirm deletion, I'd rather just type something short, sweet and unmistakably deliberate, like "yes".

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1