EoD and Previous Content Questions

Shane.4023

Hi guys. I want to jump back into GW2, and have purchased the previous Expansions, as well as EoD. Thing is, all of my Characters are low levels, and I have yet to complete main story content, as well as the content in the Expansions. I feel like I am missing out on stuff and am wondering how I should proceed. Also, should I use Character Level Boosts so I can catch up? Thoughts and help appreciated  :)

10 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Boosting can have the negative effect that you might feel overwhelmed with a lvl 80 character. 
the new content won’t go away, you can still play it in a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for the info! But, how do I go through main Story and Expansions content? What should I be doing and where should I be going? Thoughts and help appreciated  🙂

You don't have to play the story in order or complete it in order to play other parts of the expansions, so whether you do or not is entirely up to you. If you're interested in the story it's well worth doing it in order, both to avoid spoilers and so you know who the characters are and what they're talking about. If not then there's no harm in doing it out of order.

Boosting similarly has pros and cons. It's generally not advised for a first character or after you've been away for a long time because level 80 can be overwhelming if you don't know the game (both how to build and play your character and what to do and how to find content) but some people are ok with it or find being able to access level 80 areas right away worth the confusion. But I'd suggest playing at low levels for a while first and only boosting a character when you feel like ready.

7 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

Thanks for the info! But, how do I go through main Story and Expansions content? What should I be doing and where should I be going? Thoughts and help appreciated  🙂

Open the Hero Panel and go to the Story Journal tab. That lists all the available storylines and on a level 80 character it lets you choose one to play (before then only the personal story is available).

If you've already got a story selected it will show you what to do next (which might say "this will become available when you reach level X" if you're too low level for the next part). If you haven't got one selected there will be a button to start or resume the story you're looking at.

• Thanks 1

If you are going to lvlup by doing the open world, you will burned once more. 

It's better to play open world for 35 min, doings "hearts" and unlocking every icon on each map for 100% completion

(if you push "M" ingame on the left side you will see some icons you can unlock for an extra 1lvl bunus )

and  and  then go in the:

Gw2craft. Net and and check " FAST GUIDES> COOKING> NO HEARTS" and lvlup your cooking skill by 50 points. 

Rinse and repeat. Till you unlock the Story every 10 lvl. 

When cooking is maxxed out, move to new crafting profession . 

By maxing out cooking (400) you gain 8 lvls. 

When you reach 35vl, then you have already understand the game. Use any boost you have  or if you have gold, lvl up any other professions from gw2craft+ do the 10lvlquests from your story. 

After the corr story.... I am sorry I don't know what story is avialable fully. 

(I wish there was a 10min-auto lvl, and EoD story only  being free for now, but alas) 

Edited by Woof.8246
  • Confused 8

8 hours ago, Shane.4023 said:

Depends how much you really care about the story.

You can jump straight into EoD when it comes out if that is what you want to do, but if you really really care about the story and you want to experience it properly then I would advise playing it in order and not skipping ahead to new content as that would no doubt confuse and spoil some of it for you.

Hi again guys. I just feel like I am missing out on stuff, but want to go through as much as I can. I have base game, and all Expansions including EoD (purchased Ultimate Edition of EoD). Also, I have 16k Gems in my Account and am wondering if I should be spending them. If yes, what all do you guys recommend purchasing with my Gems? Thoughts and help appreciated on all of this.

6 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

Hi again guys. I just feel like I am missing out on stuff, but want to go through as much as I can. I have base game, and all Expansions including EoD (purchased Ultimate Edition of EoD). Also, I have 16k Gems in my Account and am wondering if I should be spending them. If yes, what all do you guys recommend purchasing with my Gems? Thoughts and help appreciated on all of this.

Well I always say coppr-fed salvagomatic, 1 of each unlimited harvesting tool ( volitile I think is most profitable atm but new expansion might release others so wait with that) and 4 slots to put it all in.

If you have copper-orichalcum tools on all your characters you left dubble click the unlimited tools in the shared slots every time you login and logout of a character all of them will have use of the tools.

Same with the salvagomatic you never have to by basic kits on any char.

If you dont have 9 slots and want to have 1 of each class there is currently a sale on the char slot upgrades.

Edited by Linken.6345

9 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well I always say coppr-fed salvagomatic, 1 of each unlimited harvesting tool ( volitile I think is most profitable atm but new expansion might release others so wait with that) and 4 slots to put it all in.

If you have copper-orichalcum tools on all your characters you left dubble click the unlimited tools in the shared slots every time you login and logout of a character all of them will have use of the tools.

Same with the salvagomatic you never have to by basic kits on any char.

If you dont have 9 slots and want to have 1 of each class there is currently a sale on the char slot upgrades.

Um, what is the salvagomatic? Also, what are the harvesting tools?

Use the boost. No matter what you do, you will reach a point in the storytelling, where you will have no idea what's going on or even know who most of the pivotal story NPCs are. They literally just appear. You'd have to watch youtube videos because the game abandoned that content.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

I suggest becoming more familiar with the game before spending any Gems.

Same with using your L80 Boosts.

Here are some resources:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/new-player-guide

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Extended_Online_Manual

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Gulbasaur/Things_I_Wish_Someone_Told_Me_-_A_new_player_guide

Welcome to Tyria and good luck!

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
more info
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shane.4023 said:

it is a unlimited use salvage kit ( you can buy basic ones 25 use each at vendors) that you can use to break down gear you dont use into crafting components.

the harvesting tools you will need to gather, wood, metal and plants from around the map.

The ingame bought tools got limited use 100 for wood and metal, 50 for plants.

I thought you said you were coming back it have been like that since release.

Edit

this might help mate.

And I agree with Inculpatus cedo.9234 become more familiar with the game before you even try to spend any of your 16k gems.

Edited by Linken.6345

You can’t miss out on stuff because nothing goes out of date. The worst that can happen is that playing the story out of order ruins continuity, but your story journal will hand hold you through it. Otherwise just go or do what you fancy.

I wouldn’t boost until you feel up to speed though. They are best served on alt characters

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shane.4023 said:

Since I didn't see it mentioned here, you may want to invest some of the gems into the Living World content: Living World - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) This is major issue with some folks that return to the game, the content is not part of the expansions. Season 2, 3, 4 and the Icebrood Saga completed packs should cost you around 4,160 gems. 

Edited by dmone.5631

9 minutes ago, dmone.5631 said:

Since I didn't see it mentioned here, you may want to invest some of the gems into the Living World content: Living World - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) This is major issue with some folks that return to the game, the content is not part of the expansions. Season 2, 3, 4 and the Icebrood Saga completed packs should cost you around 4,160 gems. 

Good catch totaly forgot about it.

Edit

You get a legendary amulet by doing season 2- icebroodsaga as an extra incentive.

Edited by Linken.6345

I would wait with using a level-80 booster until you're familiar with your character and profession (Class). Playing through the story and leveling normally is the best way to learn the game and find out which weapons and skills work for you or not.

Using a level-80 booster will risk skipping this part, and it may leave you clueless and disappointed on how to play or what to do next.

(Warning: meme)

15 hours ago, Shane.4023 said:

Hi guys. I want to jump back into GW2, and have purchased the previous Expansions, as well as EoD. Thing is, all of my Characters are low levels, and I have yet to complete main story content, as well as the content in the Expansions. I feel like I am missing out on stuff and am wondering how I should proceed. Also, should I use Character Level Boosts so I can catch up? Thoughts and help appreciated  🙂

The story is technically optional. It's not like a certain competing MMO that forces you into 100+ hours of boring text based cutscenes. Just go to your story tab and pick whatever you want to do. Skip HoT if you want, or skip PoF, or whatever. GW2 gives you choices. With that said, content in GW2 never gets outdated. If I were in your shoes, I would make a level 1 and just enjoy the game and play through the whole story (including the living world seasons) and just enjoy yourself and the leveling process. Enjoy the music, the environment, and just enjoy the journey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Shane.4023 said:

Also, should I use Character Level Boosts so I can catch up?

The lvl 80 boost, aside from permanently boosting one character to max level, also allows you to test-drive any class at max level as long as you haven't used it for a permanent boost.

Boosting works in two steps: Step one puts your character in the Silverwastes map with max level gear and traits, and lets you play that character in that map only as long as you want. Once the character leaves the map, the boost resets.

To make the boost permanent, you have to talk to an NPC in the Silverwastes and confirm the boost for that character. Until you do so, you can use the boost to try out every class at max level. If you're unsure what class you might enjoy, putting a few (or even all of them) through this trial could be helpful.

You can test classes in a similar way in spvp, where all skills and traits (and even elite specs) are unlocked for all characters, regardless of character level. This however only allows you to test them against training dummies (or other players), and some skills function differently in pvp vs. pve.

As for catching up, depending on your point of view, their is either very little to catch up to (max level and equipment are the same from base game to the newest expansion), or so much that the boost doesn't matter (years and years of achievements, skin collections, and whatever other sidegrade you enjoy).