Hey, Please Don't Make the Game Impossible to Solo.

Do you know what MMO means?

No offense, but I think what you are looking for are RPG's.
Although I must say I don't own EOD, but I doubt Anet will deviate much from his solo game. POF is super easy as a solo player and HOT, if you're a bit familiar with your class, is as well.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 46
  • Sad 4

Totally agree, my partner has such bad anxiety she cant play any group content but fell in love with the game due to its good solo builds, now many of them don't exist any more.

Some still exist but the pool to choose from just got smaller and the game is worse for it.

Go ahead and tell me to dodge/gitgud I don't care, toxic gate keepers love to say that to people with valid concerns.

I dodge the big stuff and get killed while the energy is coming back in some fights because the punishment never stops, very rarely a random person turns up to help and I can manage but you cant count on it.

I hate posting stuff like this because I know what's coming in response but the game I love has just gotten so much worse - to me and so many others - and I feel it is only right to let myself get insulted for the very slim chance I can make some change for the better.

Thief and scrapper sustain use to help when out of dodges and defense skills, now you just die.

• Like 42
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

got to agree with OP here, the draw of an MMO for me, isn't playing with others persay (though I CAN enjoy it, if not forced into it) It's the fact the world is updated changes and is persistant a  single player Offline RPG doesn't get Monthy/bi-monthy whatever updates.  And the Option is the important part but I'd be just as happy if I never had to speak to another player again.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, tclark.8956 said:

People have been soloing in MMO's as long as they've been around. It's well past the point where people should realize that it's a valid and extremely common way to play these games. MMO just means there's other real players in the world with you, not that you need to rely on them to do anything.   

The FFXIV developers have recognized it to the point where they're going out of their way to make everything possible to play solo in the near future, for example, and really GW2 does pretty well for letting you play solo for almost everything too. So does WoW, or at least it used to, and pretty much every other successful MMO in recent history.   

Yep, as i said. Gw2 IS a solo-friendly game. I play Solo 90% of my time and have absolutely no problems.

Any easyer and you get a hello kitty game, where you as a solo player just pres 1 to one shot Champions.

• Like 7
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, tclark.8956 said:

People have been soloing in MMO's as long as they've been around. It's well past the point where people should realize that it's a valid and extremely common way to play these games. MMO just means there's other real players in the world with you, not that you need to rely on them to do anything.   

The FFXIV developers have recognized it to the point where they're going out of their way to make everything possible to play solo in the near future, for example, and really GW2 does pretty well for letting you play solo for almost everything too. So does WoW, or at least it used to, and pretty much every other successful MMO in recent history.   

Yeah. I played Everquest 2 since release but stopped playing it as much over the past few years because the content it offered kept getting worse and worse. I always solo'd on EQ2, even if it would be easier for me not to because of my anxiety. I usually did talk in world chat with other players but that was as far as I went with doing things with other players, usually.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, SirAmikVarse.2793 said:

Totally agree, my partner has such bad anxiety she cant play any group content but fell in love with the game due to its good solo builds, now many of them don't exist any more.

Some still exist but the pool to choose from just got smaller and the game is worse for it.

Go ahead and tell me to dodge/gitgud I don't care, toxic gate keepers love to say that to people with valid concerns.

I dodge the big stuff and get killed while the energy is coming back in some fights because the punishment never stops, very rarely a random person turns up to help and I can manage but you cant count on it.

I hate posting stuff like this because I know what's coming in response but the game I love has just gotten so much worse - to me and so many others - and I feel it is only right to let myself get insulted for the very slim chance I can make some change for the better.

Thief and scrapper sustain use to help when out of dodges and defense skills, now you just die.

Yeah, it's a shame, I actually just got into Thief a few months back and loved it, but now my Thief is probably just going to collect dust.

• Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Although I must say I don't own EOD, but I doubt Anet will deviate much from his solo game. POF is super easy as a solo player and HOT, if you're a bit familiar with your class, is as well.

I think what they are reffering to is the massive nerfs that happened yesterday on a launch day of the explansion. I mean sure.. the game still is soloable.. but one cant deny those nerfs are going to put some hurt on solo play on some level. Which is bad because this game has been out for years and to just completely hammer sustain like they did seems odd.

There is a bit more concern now on how much you will be forced to group. We shall see. After all it is the first week.

Edited by MechanicalMind.9126
Fast reading faults and clarification
  • Like 10
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MechanicalMind.9126 said:

I hate to break it to you... but people have been soloing a lot in this game for a long time now.  Well used to.. not sure since the huge nerfs a day ago but we will see.

Did you read my full comment? I even wrote that Gw2 is a very solo-friendly game xD

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, MechanicalMind.9126 said:

Clarified it better.

I can understand this. But as you said these nerves are completly new. People will adapt and find new ways, as they always do when anet does his "legendary" balance patches.

But the OP also refered to hot and pof. While i can understand hot for a very casual Player, i dont get POF. So this thread is not only about the nerv-hammer you are speaking.

The OP also said " I generally don't understand why MMO companies just love making it impossible/hard for players to solo their content.". Th7s was why i asked if he knows what a mmo is. I don't blame anet for making group content, in an group game when they want to.

BUT also, i know from friends that EOD is everything but group-content in 90% of the open world. This is why i dont get this speech about, the game gets more and more harder with every expansion for solo-player, when it is the exact oposite.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

I've had a pretty easy time so far. I'm taking a new approach, and completing zones as I go, so I'm still in the first map, but I've only died twice in about 8 hours. Once in an event because I was the only one and I was swarmed, and the second was to new mechanic to OW (a rotating wall of death that does huge damage if you arent paying g attention, lol).

One thing I will say is they didn't deviate from PoF with mob density/aggro range. There are times I'm getting a bunch of adds, but it's not a problem until I'm trying to look at my build or the map. 

Edited by Klowdy.3126
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleSoftTail.8405 said:

I get that it's a MMO but a lot of us prefer to solo, at least, sometimes because of anxiety or just because they don't like having to group up with people constantly. I generally don't understand why MMO companies just love making it impossible/hard for players to solo their content. If I can't solo, then I guess I'm out. I have social anxiety and feel very uncomfortable grouping up with randos and even guild mates, the most I can do without feeling anxious or uncomfortable is to chat with other people on Map/Zone chat (I dunno why either), and yes, I get that I could just play singleplayer games but MMOs have something singleplayer games don't that I like.

I struggled enough as it is with HoT and PoF, and now it's possible that I won't be able to do any of the content without the help of a group. And I know I am not the only person who feels this way so.. kitten us, I guess.

What content is giving you a hard time? I have been running round solo and doing story on my power reaper and it’s been pretty smooth. Maybe we can help with finding you a build that works? 

Also don’t let the first few days discourage you. The scaling is always a bit off the first couple of days. I’ve heard a lot of people saying they’ve seen empty maps,  but I had the opposite commanding metas. Maps are crammed and people can’t get into the squad. So there is definitely something going on there. 

Honestly though, I don’t think the game feels any harder to me here than in IBS or in POF. Would say HOT definitely felt trickier on launch, but after a few spec changes it was smooth sailing. 

What class do play and what spec are you running at the moment? 

Edited by Winola.8214
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Do you know what GW2 meant? It was a game meant to be played in many different ways, some people barely even get out the starting zone before entering fashion wars and just spend their entire lives in Lions Arch or something, everyone plays differently, its one of the greatest aspects of this game. That for some reason, they are moving away from. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Gorem.8104 said:

Do you know what GW2 meant? It was a game meant to be played in many different ways, some people barely even get out the starting zone before entering fashion wars and just spend their entire lives in Lions Arch or something, everyone plays differently, its one of the greatest aspects of this game. That for some reason, they are moving away from. 

Where exactly do they move away from? Why exactly can you with eod now no longer play the way you want? You can still camp LA if this is youre playstyle. I never said anything against diferent playstyle.

There where always changes. What makes this one so spe ial that it's seems to destroy(based onnthis thread) the solo playerbase?

I really don't get all this hate here about gw2 and solo-play. Do the people i know just play a diferent game here?

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I believe Guild Wars 2 has an adequate balance of solo to group content ratio personally. Everything on the overworld can be done without parties or squad, as there will still be players who run around and do things whether or not you want to, and they will generally not ask for a party on those because parties are not required.

Any repeatable instance content however is in my opinion fair game. There shouldn't be an expectation that dungeons, fractals, strikes and raids can be done solo, as that would essentially remove the incentive people have to group up entirely.
You may think "So what", but let me tell you from experience that MMos who do that die a slow and painful death. Due to all content being so soloable nobody even bothers Talking with anyone else, and content become so utterly trivial rewards have to be lowered to balance it out, making running that content even less interesting, to the point that content is no longer run. I speak from experience and from the heart when I say that MMos are not meant to be entirely soloable, it inevitably causes the game's death. I came from a game which I loved and still bear a special place in my heart that very much allowed such a thing, and the effect was as described above. 

That's not to say that people with anxiety should feel left out either. In my opinion, MMos are actually a great vector to improve on one's anxiety, so long as one takes step to work toward it. If you have just one person you know and trust that you play with, then have that person slowly bring in one person that They know and trust within your circle, step by step. Until you have enough people to run a dungeon, or fractal. It may take months, or years, but you'll benefit much more from that approach than feeding into your anxiety I believe.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Naxos.2503 said:

You may think "So what", but let me tell you from experience that MMos who do that die a slow and painful death. Due to all content being so soloable

other than gw2, i can't think of a single mmo that is soloable and died b/c of it. no, most of them died b/c they went hardcore and focused only on that crowd. wildstar immedietly comes to mind. top end players RUIN and kill mmos, not solo players, sorry to say. gw2 is one of the unique mmos that caters to all types of players so it's sad to see they are making efforts to only focus on one and nerf the rest in an effort to force grouping. blah.

Edited by fixit.7189
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, fixit.7189 said:

other than gw2, i can't think of a single mmo that is soloable and died b/c of it. no, most of them died b/c they went hardcore and focused only on that crowd. wildstar immedietly comes to mind. top end players RUIN and kill mmos, not solo players, sorry to say. gw2 is one of the unique mmos that caters to all types of players so it's sad to see they are making efforts to only focus on one and nerf the rest. blah.

The MMo in question is Mabinogi, it is still very much online, but it is a shadow of it's former self. It is still up thanks to a dedicated localization team that strives to keep the dwindling but equally dedicated community active. But coming from someone who's actually been with it for I believe it's been...16-17 years now, the decay is very noticeable, and that has come from power creep, and the ability to solo everything, to the point there is no need to group up with anyone once you've got all the cards in hand.

It certainly isn't the same type of fast pace game as Guild wars 2, nor is it as recent obviously. There is more than one thing that impairs it, but when it comes to actual content, making everything soloable trivialized the content so much that every major release was completed within hours of the patch. The first thing that sprang to mind for the players then was "When is the next update". To the point the devs couldn't keep up with the most action oriented players, and those bailed out. It is still a nice game, but it's choices have limited it to a very niche audience. 

I'm still happy to see it's around, as that game really has no equal on the market either, but I wish it went a different road.

• Confused 2

15 minutes ago, fixit.7189 said:

other than gw2, i can't think of a single mmo that is soloable and died b/c of it. no, most of them died b/c they went hardcore and focused only on that crowd. wildstar immedietly comes to mind. top end players RUIN and kill mmos, not solo players, sorry to say. gw2 is one of the unique mmos that caters to all types of players so it's sad to see they are making efforts to only focus on one and nerf the rest in an effort to force grouping. blah.

I wouldent say a 90/95% solo vs 5% group is catering to both tbh.

More like catering to solo and sprinkle some for the grouping people.

So yea I agree with you it is sad to see effort only focus on one the soloing people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

55 minutes ago, fixit.7189 said:

Except that's nonsense.  They didn't force grouping with a few nerfs to some overperforming non-interactive sustain traits and no-cost healing/barrier.  All of these builds still work just fine and anyone can play them.  They were overperforming with effortless sustain before and now they're just better than most by a little bit.  The fact is, nobody likes it when their build gets nerfed and the salt is real.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2