Stop Teasing Us with Ritualist!

On 3/8/2022 at 6:26 PM, Cronospere.8143 said:

Uhh.. yeah meleefighters with scythes who can shapeshift into their gods avatar. With a lot of AoE damage. 

They are a lot different than what you just discribed.

Serving the gods as holy warriors,

Their greatest power, however, is to evoke the power of the gods.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dervish

Revenants also have Melee Staffs, which Scythes fit into in GW2 mechanics. 

On 3/8/2022 at 3:35 PM, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

In no other game has the pedigree & potential of what came before been so flagrantly disregarded

That reminds me of a line Marjory (I think?) had at the beginning of this expansion. There was a comment about how Cantha isn't how the history books remember it or something, and she says "Where would the fun be in that?"

I couldn't help but assume this was one of those modern, meta lines where the writers think they're teaching the audience a lesson or something. It's like, yeah I get it, it's been a long time in-universe and Cantha should be different, but what's wrong with wanting something because of a pre-established investment?

What's wrong with hoping that Guild Wars 2 will bring back the things I liked from Guild Wars 1? I mean, no one wants a sequel that's identical to the original, but things like classes and weapon types and even locations don't make something identical. They make them consistent.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2022 at 2:16 AM, BerriosC.7295 said:

With the release of End of Dragons, we were given two new stat combinations. Dragon and Ritualist. We were also given NPCs and Enemy Units that are Ritualists. And now we have the Ritualist Staff skin, the Ritualist Outfit, and equipment stats for Ritualist, but not Ritualist. 

I know that Ritualist is not something everyone wants to see return, largely due to the number of players who have never played GW1 or never cared about the profession. Either way, there are thousands of players that want to see Ritualist come back and bringing it back would be incredibly easy. Just make it an Elite Spec. End of Dragon's would have been perfect, since we're back in Cantha. There are 3 Profession it could go to. Necromancer could gain Spirits that act like stationary Minions with a trait that teleports them to you when you dodge, referencing the Kurzick skill. Guardian already has Spirit Weapons and are described in one of the books as having Ritualist magic, so mobile spirits would work. And Revenant already has the theme of communing with spirits from the mist. Give it the Legendary Ritualist Stance that channels Master Togo or Razah. There's literally no reason not to do this. Just about every Elite Spec, outside of their role or a couple mechanics, has been something no one has asked for. So even if the number of people who want Ritualist back is a small percentage, it's still a higher percentage than nearly every Elite Spec we've gotten so far.

And before you say it, because I know someone's going to. No, Engineer and Renegade are not suitable Ritualist replacements. If that's what you're going to comment, I will assume you are a troll and have nothing worth saying. 

technically , PoF (well LW4) had Dervishes and Paragons (we have outfits for both , unsure of the spear but we do have shields available like paragons , and we have scythe skins......hmmmmmmmm XD)

35 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

Isn't Scourge supposed to be a Nu-Ritualist?

not particularly , theyre raising sand shades (not spirits) , ritualists deal with spirits and such (necro minions are anything but , base stuff is just undead , so no spirits , and scourge makes sand shades , they seem spirit like , but theyre not spirits , its basically just giving the desert sand form , kind of think of it like an elemental summoner in rpgs , just summoning.....sand...)

51 minutes ago, Ausar.9542 said:

Serving the gods as holy warriors,

Their greatest power, however, is to evoke the power of the gods.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Dervish

Revenants also have Melee Staffs, which Scythes fit into in GW2 mechanics. 

Dervish could never return as they were , they invoke the human gods and become their avatars (which we learned why this technically shouldnt be possible anymore during PoF) , as well as we have non human races as playable as now. though they were more of a light/medium armor class in general (their armors looked like a mix of cloth/leather).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I forgot to mention, I ran into an NPC in... Echovald? That got offended about the comparison between Necromancers and Ritualists, because Ritualists are evil and abuse spirits, unlike Necromancers. Maybe this was just supposed to be a gang thing, but without lore context that wasn't in that conversation, it felt a little like a dig at wanting Ritualists, which seems more than a little weird to me.

One of the things I still miss from Guild Wars 1 is how each campaign was more or less standalone and officially told from the perspective of the locals. The post-launch professions were part of that, and I miss how that really helped to flesh out these varied cultures. I enjoyed new Cantha well enough, but it's very different when you get a unique story told from its own perspective, than always being an outsider looking in.

• Like 3

I feel this way about Paragon.  I was a kid when I played GW1 and had aboslutely no idea what I was doing but Paragon is still my favorite fantasy class in any game ever.  Would have made an amazing espec for warrior.

Kinda surprising, and disappointing, that they didn't go for Paragon and Ritualist specs during the relevant expansions.

37 minutes ago, JReyno.3049 said:

I feel this way about Paragon.  I was a kid when I played GW1 and had aboslutely no idea what I was doing but Paragon is still my favorite fantasy class in any game ever.  Would have made an amazing espec for warrior.

Kinda surprising, and disappointing, that they didn't go for Paragon and Ritualist specs during the relevant expansions.

It's even worse when you realize how Ritualist was built using the GW2 approach and would have fit exceptionally well among the classes there. I mean, this is a profession that, depending on how it's built can be defensive support, offensive support, damage dealer (both with spirits and using direct damage), as well as be a healer. A mix of all options that can be specced towards what we want at the moment.

It's a bit similar for paragon, but Ritualist has the advantage that it doesn't need a new weapon to be introduced.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's even worse when you realize how Ritualist was built using the GW2 approach and would have fit exceptionally well among the classes there. I mean, this is a profession that, depending on how it's built can be defensive support, offensive support, damage dealer (both with spirits and using direct damage), as well as be a healer. A mix of all options that can be specced towards what we want at the moment.

It's a bit similar for paragon, but Ritualist has the advantage that it doesn't need a new weapon to be introduced.

Paragon wouldn't need to have a new weapon introduced either. Warrior doesn't have access to sceptre yet and there already are some sceptres that would fit as javelins.

While there are many skins that look unfit for throwing, many Staff skins look equally unfit for use as melee weapons, so that's no argument against throwing sceptres.

Edited by Fueki.4753

On 3/5/2022 at 5:38 PM, Fueki.4753 said:

Paragon is closer to Warrior than it is to Guardian.

Even in GW1, paragon was basically a ranged, more supportive Warrior, so it could give Warrior what Warrior actually needs (unlike trash like Junksworn). That aside, Guardian doesn't need yet another support specialization.

Since Dervish is attuned to elements via Earth and Wind Prayers, it could be an Elementalist specialization. But Elementalist already got three melee specializations, so that would be another bird flipped towards people who want a ranged Elementalist. Or Revenants could channel Varesh Ossa. Given that the Alliance can be channelled despite Shiro already being available, Varesh and Mallyx both being available wouldn't be an issue.

Assassin could be implement for Thief, replacing Stealth with an actual defensive mechanic.

I'm not so sure how Ritualist could fit into the professions though. Theoretically, Revenants could channel Razah or Togo. Or Arenanet could stick it to Necromancers.

I would kill for a paragon like elite spec for Warrior. 

Imagine Command Skills as utility. 

A main hand ranged weapon. (Even if it's just Pistol) 

An actual good spec for Wvw that isn't just a bubble bot. 

The dream🤤😍

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 5:44 PM, Desh.7028 said:

I just wanted land spears so badly. Guardian with spear is in essence half a paragon already. :classic_laugh:

Scourge and Renegade in combination would be mechanically really close to Ritualist.

Revenant builds focused on upkeep skills are Dervishes.

It's nothing short of idiotic that we didn't get spears with POF, have not seen a single new weapon type in almost 10 years, and keep having elite specs design-trapped around whatever existing weapon the class doesn't have access to yet. 

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, LucianDK.8615 said:

The necromancer reaper is pretty much a dervish sworn to Grenth. Heck, they even have a spin-to-win move!

Reaper is as much a Dervish as Scourge is a Ritualist - meaning, beyond some very superficial similarities, very much not like it.

You might as well say that a chicken is pretty much a phoenix.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'd love to see Anet add Ritualist as a light class with high damage, dervish as medium class, and paragon as heavy class. Make spears great again!!! Not just for underwater!!

They could also introduce scythes as a new type of weapon, being as with more specs coming out, especially with warrior, which has almost maxed out the weapons they can use, introducing a scythe would be very appropriate - it would also suit necromancers for a future spec in particular, and I can also see Revenants using the scythe, by channeling 'Varesh Ossa', and having some type of skill 5 scythe skill which pulls enemies into a swirling type of quicksand, while also dealing torment damage. Something like that anyway. There's so many possibilities.

I can see one of the Ritualist's healing skills as being one of the 'urns' which is held, and every time you get hit/take damage from an enemy, instead, it heals you while also dealing retaliation damage back at the enemy.

There are so many possibilities, and I really wish Anet would bring back more GW1 stuff - classes, skins, weapons, armour, etc.

I really miss the Obsidian ritualist armour too - I sometimes called it the teapot set - because the helmet reminds me of a teapot, but jokes aside, I really miss the ritualist armour, but I don't want them to come back as onesies/outfits - I'd want them as separate/individual skins.

Issue is the classes have to make seance for all of the player races and you dont have to go further than the old lore blurbs to see wht that wont work

Dervish : Serving the gods as holy warriors, dervishes stand confidently in the whirlwind of conflict. Martial techniques perfected in the deserts of Elona allow a Dervish’s scythe to lash out quickly at multiple opponents, surrounding the holy warrior with a swath of destruction

They were powered by Praying to the 5 Gods this works fantastic if your a human but does not map out at all to the other races.

pretty much agreeing with the OP here...

so far, Anet has only brought back bits and pieces of the ritualist in GW2's classes, but these callbacks are successors of the Factions class, NOT the class.

Turret engineer looks like a successor to spirit Ritualist only in mechanics of summoning a stationary thing that throws damage toward the enemy. but it's not a ritualist.

Vindicator offers ONE skill that acts like a whole line of carrying ashes in urns and then dropping them, but it's not a ritualist.

just like how Herald is a successor of the enchantment mechanics of Dervish... but is not a Dervish.

there have been suggestions by players of how Elementalist could have E-specs dedicated to both classes: for Dervish, the elements could be replaced with different avatars of the Gods, or could be replaced with different enchantments. For Ritualist e-spec, the elements would be replaced by different themes, like fire replaced by spirits, water by ashes in urns, earth by enchantments, etc...

but again, Anet has only teased us with bits and pieces spread out over several professions.

i honestly think that they won't add any more actual professions, and after 3 frontline e-specs for Elementalist in a row, i'm of the mind that we'll never see a proper Ritualist e-spec for any class in the game, nor a proper dervish e-spec for any class in the game, nor a proper ranged DPS spec for Elementalist in the game.

now, based on GW1, i can see why people would think that they're both only human viable, lore wise. Ritualist makes sense for the Charr, too... seeing as how they are fighting ghosts in Ascalon. Norn follow spirits of the Wild. Asura are more than willing to twist any magic they find into an advantage. and Sylvari are born from the dream. now that the dragons are gone, it would make perfect sense for classes of all races to be able to pull ghosts of the dead out of the mists again. if nothing else, it could be another PvE mastery line.

As for Dervishes... yes, they were based on worshipping the human gods, but the magic itself could be used to channel the gods of any race, and like Revenant, could probably be used to channel the gods of other races as well.

• Like 1

Warrior = Paragon: Unique mechanic is facets (Like herald) which provides a frontline boon based character with a long range "spear" (Staff) which they use to throw to and bolster allies.

Guardian= Ritualist: A "Well" creating guardian who uses spirits as their virtues who act like totems, and can be moved similarly to ventari's tablet. 

Necromancer= Dervish: A physical skill themed necromancer who instead of death shroud you get alternating god forms, which mimics the elemental mechanic sort of for elementalist. Each form changes the specific physical utilities and weapon skills associated with the elite spec weapon (Kind of like weaver/untamed)

I think others may have said this, but Revenant is Ritualist. They don't function 100% the same, but, especially Vindicator, they work the same. Channelings spirits (legends), energy management class feature, holding bundles (maintaining utility skills with energy drain), etc. It's unfortunate we won't get Signet of Spirits type Rit play back, but this is kind of close.

Guess what, they could have made ritualist (or whatever name they choose to have for it) the elite spec for elementalist this expac. The class would be the mix between ele and revenant and it will be focused on juggling around the utility skills. 

Here, swapping attunement = invoking a new legend. The “legends” can be the four spirits from Nahpui mission in GW1 (kirin=water, bird =fire, drake=air, turtle=earth). When you swap attunement, your utilities 6-10 are replaced and locked with predetermined skills. These skills can involve summoning stationary spirits that function like current catalyst jade sphere as well as the current augments and core utilities spread across the attunements.

However, this means there will be 8-20 new utilities and 8-20 new weapon skills. This is obviously too much so we’re stuck with the cesspool of filth that’s called catalyst.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Kaizz.7306 said:

I think others may have said this, but Revenant is Ritualist. They don't function 100% the same, but, especially Vindicator, they work the same. Channelings spirits (legends), energy management class feature, holding bundles (maintaining utility skills with energy drain), etc. It's unfortunate we won't get Signet of Spirits type Rit play back, but this is kind of close.

Revenant is not Ritualist. While they do commune with spirits from the Mists, that's the extent of their similarities. Energy management was not a feature of the Ritualist but every Profession back in GW1, and Urns (what you called bundles) didn't drain energy. While Spirit Spammer isn't the only aspect of Ritualist, it's the most prominent and liked aspect. 

• Like 1