Anet just killed EoD meta

29 minutes ago, LART.3748 said:

I am very disappointed in ANET's decision to nerf this event, before in LFG you find lot of partys doing the meta so active very often , now it is totally dead, I love difficult games, the difficulty makes the game something great and worth appreciating, I played 16 simultaneous metas of the Dragon's End  event until I finally got the turtle, it seemed epic to me, now anyone can have it super easy... another thing I wanted to say is that I also think the hero points of the game should be challenges against very rude and hard bosses, they are too easy as well as domain masteries, just commune and that's it????.

You enjoy failing because random people who happen to be on the map either don't know what to do or can't perform well enough to win as a group?  Well, to each their own I guess?  Personally, I don't see the point in metas you have to spend 30+ hours on to score a win through no fault of my own.  That's boring, frustrating, and a total waste of time, in my opinion.  But you do you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

22 minutes ago, kettering.6823 said:

The meta from start to finish is 2 hours. A lot of people have jobs, families, or hell, even other hobbies that they want to dedicate time to. Not everyone can, or wants to, dedicate hours and hours to one game, and certainly not just one event. Your argument might hold water if this was a different game, but GW2 has been explicitly marketed as a casual game; a lot of the playerbase simply does not have the time or desire to play all day. 

1. 2 hours isn't all day.
  2. The game has changed a lot over the years, and it surprises me that it took you this many years and one single meta event to realize this.
  3. No one forces you to get the Turtle. You are not missing out on anything if you don't get it. You don't need legendary gear (another time-consuming goal), either, to play this game -- and legendary gear is 1000% more useful than the Siege Turtle (and also a lot more difficult to get).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:
  2. The game has changed a lot over the years, and it surprises me that it took you this many years and one single meta event to realize this.
  3. No one forces you to get the Turtle. You are not missing out on anything if you don't get it. You don't need legendary gear (another time-consuming goal), either, to play this game -- and legendary gear is 1000% more useful than the Siege Turtle.

And nobody needed a DS-style meta preceded by an hour of copy/paste kitten.  What's your point?  Plenty of people hate that about this meta and if they changed it, I think it'd be a good thing.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

And nobody needed a DS-style meta preceded by an hour of copy/paste kitten.  What's your point?  Plenty of people hate that about this meta and if they changed it, I think it'd be a good thing.

If they hate it, they don't have to play it. That is my point.

I thought it was obvious:

4 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

3. No one forces you to get the Turtle. You are not missing out on anything if you don't get it. You don't need legendary gear (another time-consuming goal), either, to play this game -- and legendary gear is 1000% more useful than the Siege Turtle (and also a lot more difficult to get).

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 11

3 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

If they hate it, they don't have to play it. That is my point.

I thought it was obvious:

Oh, right on.  I'd prefer they just change it.  Hate to waste a perfectly good fight like this.  They put so much work into it, but nobody is going to bother with it soon.  Once the novelty wears off Hardstuck and the rest will move on and that'll be it.  Well, at least if they don't continue to nerf it, which they probably will.  A better option than nerfs, in my opinion, would be to just redesign the whole thing so it doesn't take 2 hours per attempt.  If that's a trivial amount of time to you to spend on one event, I don't know what to say.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

2 hours is a sizeable chunk of time to someone who doesn't have a lot of time to play games. Work, school, family, and again, other hobbies, are all things that can prevent someone from having a lot of time to play Guild Wars.

Listen, I'm on team 'more challenging content please', but the way ANet went about this particular meta was wrong. It has great potential but as it is? Not great. 2 hours is just too long for a very difficult meta. Also the turtle is a moot point since they already added a secondary way to get it lol. I don't even personally care about the turtle, but since it was a huge marketing point for EoD, and described as 'on par with the rollerbeetle', I think people have the right to be disappointed when it is much more difficult to get than advertised. 

Legendary armor was always advertised as difficult to achieve. The turtle was not. False equivalences there. 

Edited by kettering.6823
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, omgdracula.6345 said:

Oof thinking an hour is a huge time investment. Y'all really want a ton of rewards for little time and effort don't you?

Oof thinking a continuous two hour time block isn't an impediment to people who are busy and/or have families who would be drawn to a game that has horizontal progression and has always billed itself as the MMO for busy people.

The western world is set up so there's all of 8 hours of "leisure" time. Except everything comes out of that time (or from sleep time). Commutes, meal prep, errands, bills, social activities, family time, studying, etc. all have to fit in there. Having 2 hours of actually free, uninterrupted time is a rarity, especially for people with families. If something—anything—wants to have no small chunk of time dedicated to it when it's not essential, it needs to prove it's worth it. This meta doesn't even produce the happy brain juice despite taking up as much time as a feature length movie and woe be to you if you want to do anything else in the game as you can't even leave the map if you decide you want to do the meta.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Oof thinking a continuous two hour time block isn't an impediment to people who are busy and/or have families who would be drawn to a game that has horizontal progression and has always billed itself as the MMO for busy people.

The western world is set up so there's all of 8 hours of "leisure" time. Except everything comes out of that time (or from sleep time). Commutes, meal prep, errands, bills, social activities, family time, studying, etc. all have to fit in there. Having 2 hours of actually free, uninterrupted time is a rarity, especially for people with families. If something—anything—wants to have no small chunk of time dedicated to it when it's not essential, it needs to prove it's worth it. This meta doesn't even produce the happy brain juice despite taking up as much time as a feature length movie and woe be to you if you want to do anything else in the game as you can't even leave the map if you decide you want to do the meta.

Neckbeards don't have time to shave but they make time for 2 hour metas.  What's your excuse?  Family? Psshh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/8-hours-and-27-minutes-thats-how-long-the-average-gamer-plays-each-week/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 3/17/2022 at 3:58 PM, Vayne.8563 said:

I'm sorry but if people want to communicate, they can do so using words that actually mean what they intend. I don't know if the developers worked hard or not.  Maybe they are lazy, sitting around in a room, eating donuts, drinking coffee and not caring at all about what comes out in the end...but I suspect that's not the case.

Words have power. You start using words like lazy and some people will get the wrong idea.  Copy pasta events exist in all games because the number of events and quests are simply too numerous to have every event be unique and original. They serve a purpose in the same way random encounters in D&D serve a purpose. When I DMed I had long complex stories, and no one ever accused me of being lazy, but many of my "chance encounters" where the same. They were there to provide material and loot for people, not be exciting unique events.

In fact, if you're in the middle of a major quest line what you don't want is exciting and unique events.

I believe that the ramp up to Dragons End is too long and that cutting it in half would do a world of good for the event, because an hour and half is more doable than two hours at least for me.  But I still won't use the wrong word to complain if I can help it, and yeah, I'll call it out every time, because I prefer not to malign people of things they may not be guilty of, online and in real life.

It's not just the devs. I'd protect anyone in the same situation. Even people I neither like or agree with.

Not sure if the devs are lazy but I am 100% certain that they trap themselves into an echo chamber of yes men which lets bad design decisions go unaddressed because feefees might be hurt OH NO SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET SAID SOMETHING MEAN DISREGARD ALL VALID CRITICISMS NOW.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, TheDraco.3965 said:

Not sure if the devs are lazy but I am 100% certain that they trap themselves into an echo chamber of yes men which lets bad design decisions go unaddressed because feefees might be hurt OH NO SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET SAID SOMETHING MEAN DISREGARD ALL VALID CRITICISMS NOW.

Being lazy is NOT a valid criticism and that's what I'm commenting on. You admit that you're not sure if the devs are lazy, so all you have to do is not address the post, since neither you nor I know, and make a valid criticsm.

Plenty of things the devs do I disagree with. I think the Dragon's End meta is too long, for one thing.  It has nothing to do with yes men. It has to do with the fact that words have power and some of us recognize it more than others. Having been subjected to a court case where carelessly used words were used in evidence to discredit specific people, I'm more careful with the language I use. And I don't care if you approve or not.

But this still has nothing to do with being a yes man. It has to do with being accurate. You have an accurate complaint, complain away. I'm not going to stand around and watch people maligned. Not people I agree with, not people I disagree with. 

Edited by Vayne.8563
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

6 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

You enjoy failing because random people who happen to be on the map either don't know what to do or can't perform well enough to win as a group?  Well, to each their own I guess?  Personally, I don't see the point in metas you have to spend 30+ hours on to score a win through no fault of my own.  That's boring, frustrating, and a total waste of time, in my opinion.  But you do you.

It doesn't matter if the event is lost or won, the idea is to have fun and play cooperatively, people will learn over time and it will be much easier to organize, but the egg should have remained the only method of obtaining it. After all, when you get the mount you unlock it for the whole account, so I don't know what they were worried about, why not keep trying? now those who only wanted the mount will probably get bored of the meta

• Haha 1
  • Confused 9

24 minutes ago, LART.3748 said:

It doesn't matter if the event is lost or won, the idea is to have fun and play cooperatively, people will learn over time and it will be much easier to organize, but the egg should have remained the only method of obtaining it. After all, when you get the mount you unlock it for the whole account, so I don't know what they were worried about, why not keep trying? now those who only wanted the mount will probably get bored of the meta

It matters to people who only have a couple of hours to play a couple of times a week, and those players are players too.  What you're saying is it doesn't matter to you. It obviously does matter to other people.  

I'd agree with you if this was a 15 minute meta you were failing but asking people to give up two hours of their play time to learn a fight they might not enjoy and might never do again isn't reasonable. Not with the casual nature of the playerbase.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't care what you buy.  If they changed the design so that you didn't have to sit there fighting the same mobs for 20 minutes while you wait for 1 or 2 players to ruin it for everyone else more people would participate.  The part where you split and do the mechanics is fun and would be rewarding if they changed it so that you don't have to wait around.

Same problem with DE.  Fun fight.  Epic, really.  But it has a high chance of failure and what really kills it is the hour long copy/paste event boredom preceding it.  If we could just run at the boss and it didn't fail 90% of the time people would be all over it.

you wanted hard content. they gave it to you, and now you just ignore it. every kittening hardcore are telling casuals 

to suck it up and get better, but i guess the same rules dont apply to you?

the difference between hard and easy content is exactly that... the chance of failure

Edited by battledrone.8315
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

Can confirm. I have ONE success under my belt after more than 30 attempts. I have no intention of doing it anymore. The rewards are just not worth all that effort. Unless I can get Aurene Mode during the fight for successfully doing the wisp climb back to the top, kitten that event. Never again.

And I mean REAL AURENE MODE WHERE I DO SIX FIGURE DAMAGE WITH EVERY ATTACK. None of this "100+ power" kitten.

Edited by Zera Allimatti.2541
Emphasis on Aurene Mode
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I finally got to try this meta.

Wow never again.

My map failed, and I couldn't tell what the heck was going on most of the time.  Flurries of special effects and instant deaths over and over. Randomly into a wisp with no explanation on what to do, so I died. And it takes so kitten long just to fail and get nothing. It was easily the most unfun event I have done in gw2 and I have no intention of trying it again.

Now when I am on that map I just feel bad for taking up a map slot because I am never doing that meta again, but I still see it going on.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, SinisterSlay.6973 said:

I finally got to try this meta.

Wow never again.

My map failed, and I couldn't tell what the heck was going on most of the time.  Flurries of special effects and instant deaths over and over. Randomly into a wisp with no explanation on what to do, so I died. And it takes so kitten long just to fail and get nothing. It was easily the most unfun event I have done in gw2 and I have no intention of trying it again.

Now when I am on that map I just feel bad for taking up a map slot because I am never doing that meta again, but I still see it going on.

Yeah I'm going to be minimizing my time on the map with future characters so I don't take up space for those who don't know better than to bother with that meta. Let them try, let them fail repeatedly. I did, and I'm done with it. I got my turtle. Never again.

Edited by Zera Allimatti.2541
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, battledrone.8315 said:

you wanted hard content. they gave it to you, and now you just ignore it. every kittening hardcore are telling casuals 

to suck it up and get better, but i guess the same rules dont apply to you?

the difference between hard and easy content is exactly that... the chance of failure

Clearly that isn't the case because you've been complaining about HoT for years because it's too "hard" and it doesn't have any of these issues.  I guess it's not so black-and-white as you say, huh?  I wonder what the difference is?  Could it be...the design? 🤡

• Confused 3

6 hours ago, LART.3748 said:

Speaking only for myself, the reason to not keep trying is this content outside of the fight itself is mind-numbingly boring and they force you to participate in it for far too long before getting to the point.  Honestly, I don't know how people convince themselves that repeating the same events for an hour or more just to take a shot at this meta is fun or worthwhile. 

I guess your tolerance level for uninspired design is as high as it is for failing events and leaving empty-handed.  What can I say?  I'm just not interested in that and it's why I've only attempted this a few times.  I like the fight.  I think I perform well on it, but the setup is ridiculous.  I'm so bored I'm falling asleep by the time I get there and I haven't had a successful clear yet.  I'm struggling to find the fun in this.  I think it would have been much more fun as instanced content like Dragonstorm with a public and a private option.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, kettering.6823 said:

The meta from start to finish is 2 hours. A lot of people have jobs, families, or hell, even other hobbies that they want to dedicate time to. Not everyone can, or wants to, dedicate hours and hours to one game, and certainly not just one event. Your argument might hold water if this was a different game, but GW2 has been explicitly marketed as a casual game; a lot of the playerbase simply does not have the time or desire to play all day. 

15 hours ago, Zephire.8049 said:

You must all be horrid at time management then. I have friends with no kids that work 70 hours, People with multiple kids that work full time and yet here we all are on the weekends playing various games all day with each other. Hell we spent a whole day doing the destiny 2 raid when it dropped. We also do sherpa runs which can take twice or even three times as long as this meta. 

I would toss my hat in with Destiny 2 being a casual game. But if you want to do the harder content or want certain exotics you have to do harder content or content maybe you don't like. The difference is they don't complain over there as much as this community does.

If you are working a normal 40 hour week and have at most 2 hours a week to game, you all need to manage your time not working better. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

You don't have small children, do you?  If you did, you'd realize an uninterrupted hour of gaming time is pure heaven.  Also virtually impossible.

I work IT and app development I have thousands of children. 

If you can't game for more than an hour with one kid idk what to tell you. My sister and brother in law have 3 and we game all the time. All my friends have multiple kids.

Get better at time management.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, omgdracula.6345 said:

I work IT and app development I have thousands of children. 

If you can't game for more than an hour with one kid idk what to tell you. My sister and brother in law have 3 and we game all the time. All my friends have multiple kids.

Get better at time management.

LOL, "git gud" as applied to childrearing.  Look, my kids are grown; I don't have a dog in this fight now.  I have tons of time to game,  hallelujah.  But many people don't -- they have fulltime jobs, long commutes, small children, elderly parents to care for, housekeeping, outside obligations, whatever things to keep them from big chunks of game time, and I remember those days too.  It's hard.  A little sympathy would be nice but toxicity and "git gud" seems to be the order of the day in these forums.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

LOL, "git gud" as applied to childrearing.  Look, my kids are grown; I don't have a dog in this fight now.  I have tons of time to game,  hallelujah.  But many people don't -- they have fulltime jobs, long commutes, small children, elderly parents to care for, housekeeping, outside obligations, whatever things to keep them from big chunks of game time, and I remember those days too.  It's hard.  A little sympathy would be nice but toxicity and "git gud" seems to be the order of the day in these forums.

Get your kids on a schedule and it's easy. This isn't get good at parenting. It's literally manage your time. I watch my nieces and nephews for multiple weeks during the summer. They have a set schedule and lo and behold I adhere to it and they don't mess up my schedule. They are aged 3-10. My youngest niece still sit there and watch. 

TL;DR get on a schedule and Adhere to it.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2