Explain like I am 5...

Lysico.4906

How exactly does catalyst work?  Specifically the  Jade bot..  I get hammer skills

So you summon a bot by hitting f5 .. bot is attuned to your element and then what?  Just creates a combo field?  That is it?

Sorry I made on, put him in PvP lobby and still not getting it     

Help an old gamer out..    What is "better" about them vs say the other elites.. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Lysico.4906 said:

How exactly does catalyst work?  Specifically the  Jade bot..  I get hammer skills

So you summon a bot by hitting f5 .. bot is attuned to your element and then what?  Just creates a combo field?  That is it?

Help an old gamer out..    What is "better" about them vs say the other elites.. 

You drop F5 on floor that tickle and spit boons that are worthless and is some combo field, do some fancy dance moves with finishers like blast, then gain some aura that gives some passive stats from traits. 
Bonus points if you do dance moves with Augment skills in correctly Attument infused F5.

That's the whole e-spec, great design, right? It's superior, refreshing, enlightening, stunning, mesmerizing, fantastic, beatiful, game changing design for some people.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Lysico.4906 said:

Okay I ll explain like u would be 5.

Throw Bot (Sphere) on ground. Bot on ground not moving.
Bot on ground will place field. Field is based on attunement. Field does 1 boon based on attunement.
Field does some damage.

Field does boon and damage on ground. Field wont move tho!

Field not really good.
Field bad.
Feels bad.

The special thing about Catalyst?
Bot (Sphere).

But bot is bad....sooo
Catalyst = bad.

*Sad noises*

Now if u want to have it like u r not 5:
Hope this made it somewhat clear.
There is not really something special about Catalyst. The "on-aura"-traits are just a copy of tempest. And there are tons of them in Catalyst.....Catalyst doesnt even have any auras on the hammer. The only way to get the auras while on hammer is due to a trait that has a 10 sec CD.

I mean thats good design.
Make traits fully based around ccs and auras and dont give hammer ccs and auras. That is really something that can only happen to elementalist, ngl. 0 Synergy between traits and weapon. There also is nothing about the Energy in traits (The energy needed for Jade Sphere). Except 1 trait thats refills some energy.

Catalyst is such a design massacre.

I dont even have a problem with hammer on Catalyst but it has 0 synergy with traits. I mean the skills are nice (if we leave hammer 3 away) but it has too low ccs and auras to work with the traits.
However the traits shouldve never been about auras in the first place, thats just the salvaged Junk of Tempest.

And Jade Spheres...the Class mechanic....I cant believe THIS is the class mechanic ngl, its so underwhelming.

Edited by SeTect.5918
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It works by having lots and lots and lots of stat buffs, that build up gradually. Core ele has always required you to cycle through elements in rotation and this is the same. Jade bot is just a weapon skill basically, a combo field that gives stat buffs, that lets you stack stat buffs on top of your stat buffs. STATS BUFFS!

Has quickness and necro tier mobility (trash). Lots of spamming instant casts between longer channels.

• Haha 1

Sphere is a bonus aoe mostly with quickness. Looks fancy, but annoying when running back and forth and no one stands in it. So mostly just some pew pew, or was pre cd nerf. Now it's an occasional disco ball. Recommend rebinding it to a different key, makes it more bearable. F5 is a horribly inconvenient key and should never be used.

That is all.

the sphere really isnt that bad! like true you cant move around and the boon duration is a little low atm.

basically hit enemies to get energy. spend energy to put down aoe fields. the bot does small amounts of damage and gives boons if you stand in it. fire and air bots give offensive boons, water and earth give defensive boons. so stand in it to either to more damage or take less damage

once the patch hits, hopefully the dps issues will be fixed, and fingers crossed like .25 extra seconds on the boons. like catalyst has a lot of problems but the forums kinda amplify people who are big unhappy with it, so i would still recommend just playing with it a bit and seeing if you enjoy it, especially after tomorrow's patch

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alradab.5491 said:

the sphere really isnt that bad! like true you cant move around and the boon duration is a little low atm.

basically hit enemies to get energy. spend energy to put down aoe fields. the bot does small amounts of damage and gives boons if you stand in it. fire and air bots give offensive boons, water and earth give defensive boons. so stand in it to either to more damage or take less damage

once the patch hits, hopefully the dps issues will be fixed, and fingers crossed like .25 extra seconds on the boons. like catalyst has a lot of problems but the forums kinda amplify people who are big unhappy with it, so i would still recommend just playing with it a bit and seeing if you enjoy it, especially after tomorrow's patch

I don't dislike sphere that much but it's more the pulsing nature for the boons and the now 15s cd with 5s duration that gives me a headache. Increasing the duration or reducing the cd to 10s would help imo.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Serephen.3420 said:

I don't dislike sphere that much but it's more the pulsing nature for the boons and the now 15s cd with 5s duration that gives me a headache. Increasing the duration or reducing the cd to 10s would help imo.

personally i would prefer a larger duration, because i dont like the idea of having all your energy generation going into only one kind of sphere. a shorter cooldown on the sphere incentivizes using more of your limited energy on air spheres, pushing catalyst away from its ability to be a dps class with strong defensive boons in addition to quickness. idk my biggest problems sphere wise is the lack of energy generation while a sphere is active forcing you to use hammer for its superior energy generation, and lack of readability on the UI. 19 energy looks too similar to 20 energy while also being very different because of the way that energy generation works

(also that guardian symbols give more boons/tick, and have much less gating for use)

Edited by Alradab.5491
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:

anet needs to completely redesign hammer and jade sphere for the class to be playable.

Hammer will be workable outside a few tweaks, the traits/sphete probably require the most attention after this.

That said op @Lysico.4906 Catalyst will be more viable after to patch tomorrow but it's not likely to be the last update to the spec.

Edited by Serephen.3420
  • Like 1

As long as its F5 skill is still a targeting field, then the whole class is still a giant piece of waste matter that people often dump down their toilet.

To make catalyst decent, start by making the F5 skills center around the ele and move with the player. 

I suspect that hammer 3 was supposed to be the class mechanic but then they ran out of idea for hammer skills and couldn’t further expand the class mechanic.

Edited by Eaglebach.7593
  • Like 3

I mean they just went the lazy route: augments are basically rehashs of core utilites or shouts and the elite is like a first idea someone has on a drawing board (I mean they changed it after the first beta, so that's probably true)... Hammer 3 is the same everywhere and the mechanic is just a combo field which, unsurprisingly, hammer does have non of xd

So instead of designing properly they just did a paint job and some copy and paste, only a minority of the skills feel really new and innovative... 

Can we get the designer for Weaver back please? 

• Like 2