A list of easy things you can do to make warrior not suck in PvP specifically. Easy information access.

Azure The Heartless.3261

9 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Edited/added suggestions made by Calm/Lan/anbujackson after further consideration for Burst of Aggression reproc. You're locked out of bursts entirely until you enter zerk and all the bursts count as level one, so there should be room there for that to work. 

I suppose if I go and pull up my stuff from the Omnibus it won't fall into the easy fix category like the arms and defense rework threads? 😭

11 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Edited/added suggestions made by Calm/Lan/anbujackson after further consideration for Burst of Aggression reproc. You're locked out of bursts entirely until you enter zerk and all the bursts count as level one, so there should be room there for that to work. 

TYVM.

I suggested the GM traits to be reworked in the way that I did so that when out of Berserk Mode you aren't effectively 2/3rds of a warrior. That and Berserk Mode should probably have it's CD reduced to 10s, and a manual exit skill provided once you are in Berserk Mode, rather than being forced to wait it out.

4 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

I suppose if I go and pull up my stuff from the Omnibus it won't fall into the easy fix category like the arms and defense rework threads? 😭

I want to lob this softball as easy as possible.

Arms and Defense can definitely use some reworks but... maybe not, until we confirm we aren't talking to an actual wall.

If you have anything that could be done in a way that doesnt touch PvE -too- much, pls go for it though.

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

Thanks for all the work you've put into this Azure!  You make a lot of good points and good suggestions.  Warrior would definitely be in a much better spot if ANet adopted even a few of these changes.

I definitely agree with you that War needs more resistance and resolution.  Providing access within the Berserker and SpB lines would be a good start, but Core needs a lot more of it, too.  I really hope they rework Defense to provide more of both.

I also agree that Stances could use a lot of love, mostly in the form of CD reductions.  Balanced Stance should be 40s in all game modes, not 60s in PvP.  Berserker stance should be on a 20s CD; this would make it on par with Signet of Fury and would definitely be a welcome addition to many Berserker builds (fitting, given the stance's name).  

On 4/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Berserk Mode should probably have it's CD reduced to 10s, and a manual exit skill provided once you are in Berserk Mode, rather than being forced to wait it out.

This.  This would be the single best change to make Berserker more viable.  10s CD is in line with other "modes" like Soulbeast's beast mode.  If the raw dmg was too much, you could always nerf Bloody Roar to +10% damage down from +15%.  I'm not advocating for that, mind; just providing a "contingency plan" for anyone worried about Berserker suddenly becoming oppressive.

On a different note, here's an idea for Sundering Leap:

-Increase range to 900

-target radius increased to 240

-applies immobilize (2s), cripple (5s), and 10 stacks of vuln (5s).

This has multiple benefits:

-longer range is obviously helpful

-ground-targeted movement skill gives War some ability to change elevation/acts as a poor-man's port substitute

-AoE immob offers a lot of utility in team fights.  Also, makes it a more appealing alternative (compared to its current state) to something like Bulls Charge, especially when you consider that Sundering Leap also extends Berserk mode.

-it's soft CC so the skill can still do meaningful physical damage

-applies 3 condis that can help protect your damaging condis if you're running a condi build.  This may sound like a small thing but lack of condi diversity is a major weakness to condizerker....I can stack up to 19 burns on a target, but if they just swap their weapons once with a cleansing sigil....

Edited by CalmTheStorm.2364
  • Like 1

So much good stuff in this thread.

So much good stuff that just ain't gonna happen. Not as long as Mr. Cohen has a say, and a ready hand, in competitive.

Certainly wish that were otherwise; and I still certainly admire all the dedication, effort, and sheer optimism many of you show, but ... Might be time to fully acknowledge the above truth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Duglaive.5236 said:

So much good stuff that just ain't gonna happen. 

I'm expecting nothing, but I'll be damned if I don't at least make an effort. If nothing happens come June, I will just take that to mean the respective skill teams are adamant it's fine, rather than dealing with the ambiguity of "maybe they just don't have an idea of what warriors want/can be adjusted toward in a manner that doesn't :

a.) kitten off the pvp playerbase when they occasionally get reminded they don't dodge, without a clear retort.

b.) affect PvE content (because the majority of playerbase is here and major skill adjustments just for pvp will kitten them off) 

I'm looking for any kind of response or nod that acknowledges there's a problem here, but June is as long as I'll wait with EoD all packed up nice and tidy for the time being. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:52 AM, Duglaive.5236 said:

So much good stuff in this thread.

So much good stuff that just ain't gonna happen. Not as long as Mr. Cohen has a say, and a ready hand, in competitive.

Certainly wish that were otherwise; and I still certainly admire all the dedication, effort, and sheer optimism many of you show, but ... Might be time to fully acknowledge the above truth.

When CmC gives you lemons, you make Límoncello.

Our spirits will remain on high despite that terrible truth, because; for all the pain we've dealt or been dealt, us Warrior mains have been blessed with the most unique form of copium in the form of pacifism.

• Haha 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:22 PM, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

When CmC gives you lemons, you make Límoncello.

Our spirits will remain on high despite that terrible truth, because; for all the pain we've dealt or been dealt, us Warrior mains have been blessed with the most unique form of copium in the form of pacifism.

🔨😊🚩

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

Thanks for all the work you've put into this Azure!  You make a lot of good points and good suggestions.  Warrior would definitely be in a much better spot if ANet adopted even a few of these changes.

I definitely agree with you that War needs more resistance and resolution.  Providing access within the Berserker and SpB lines would be a good start, but Core needs a lot more of it, too.  I really hope they rework Defense to provide more of both.

I also agree that Stances could use a lot of love, mostly in the form of CD reductions.  Balanced Stance should be 40s in all game modes, not 60s in PvP.  Berserker stance should be on a 20s CD; this would make it on par with Signet of Fury and would definitely be a welcome addition to many Berserker builds (fitting, given the stance's name).  

This.  This would be the single best change to make Berserker more viable.  10s CD is in line with other "modes" like Soulbeast's beast mode.  If the raw dmg was too much, you could always nerf Bloody Roar to +10% damage down from +15%.  I'm not advocating for that, mind; just providing a "contingency plan" for anyone worried about Berserker suddenly becoming oppressive.

On a different note, here's an idea for Sundering Leap:

-Increase range to 900

-target radius increased to 240

-applies immobilize (2s), cripple (5s), and 10 stacks of vuln (5s).

This has multiple benefits:

-longer range is obviously helpful

-ground-targeted movement skill gives War some ability to change elevation/acts as a poor-man's port substitute

-AoE immob offers a lot of utility in team fights.  Also, makes it a more appealing alternative (compared to its current state) to something like Bulls Charge, especially when you consider that Sundering Leap also extends Berserk mode.

-it's soft CC so the skill can still do meaningful physical damage

-applies 3 condis that can help protect your damaging condis if you're running a condi build.  This may sound like a small thing but lack of condi diversity is a major weakness to condizerker....I can stack up to 19 burns on a target, but if they just swap their weapons once with a cleansing sigil....

I think sundering leap should have longer range but also be on one the amo system 2 charges at least and spawn something like Unsteady Ground for 2 seconds or something so you get chase potential and put people in position to fight you by cutting their escape path.

Shattering Blow should be either flip block skill like Counterattack/Imperial guard on ranger/rev or a group frontal cone block skill like photon wall or Shield of Courage, the drawback since anet loves doing that to warrior channel skill that you can double tap to do the shatter part of the skill.

Outrage needs less cd in pvp and maybe give it some damage reduction and condi cleanse double up on stun break.

Wild Blow i don't know it is kitten, there is no reason to take it over bull rush or even stomp. It doesn't synergies with anything maybe a small leap idk to get some value out of King of fires , the whole pushing people away doesn't help you deal damage.

Headbut has laundry list of nonsense, instead of increasing the damage by 50% from 1 to 2 it should get the something like Attack of Opportunity on Maul, you deal +15% damage on your next 2 or 3 attacks, it even buffs the PVE rotation headbutt berserk burst skill blood reckoning burst skill. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 3:49 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I like this. ordinarily you wouldn't be wasting a CC on someone with stability anyway. 

Yeah. I'm not expecting too much despite the fact that between EoD and June, the skies are clear for competitive balance direction. I'll be damned if, when that happens, I have any lingering thoughts of  "maybe they just didn't see it" so I'm going to try to keep this on the front page until the patch day. 

That way, if nothing but banners get reworked, it's clear they either:

> want it to be like this and aren't just doing it by accident, or

> the forums are not an adequate platform to get any meaningful conversation/changes for the time being (which is the same as the above)

Genuinely GW2 is, as far as I can think of at least, the only MMORPG that does Warrior horribly, horribly wrong to such a point that it just is not fun to play in any of the content the game has to offer; and if the Banner rework is the only thing they do in June then that may be resolved for only PvE. Maybe.

Edited by KryTiKaL.3125
  • Like 2

Bladesworn is in a great place in all forms of content, with great mobility, damage, and utility, but we feel that it needs stronger healing and sustain through shouts.

Additionally, in keeping with our design philosophy that players should be stronger in groups, we are going to be adding more sources of quickness to the Warrior class in the form of the existing banner mechanic. Instead of having unique abilities from banners that limited them to unique buffs in group content, we are going to be removing all unique buffs and replacing them with the quickness boon.

1. Vigorous Shouts 20% of attack power converted to healing power, healing coefficient increased to 1.7

2. All unique banner abilities replaced with give all nearby allies quickness boon for 1.5 seconds

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, TugboatSteve.3607 said:

Bladesworn is in a great place in all forms of content, with great mobility, damage, and utility, but we feel that it needs stronger healing and sustain through shouts.

If they actually buff shouts I'm gonna run it out of spite. You want bunkers? You get bunkers. And I'll do my best to frustrate every single player in every single conquest game, plus wvw roaming.

5 hours ago, Hotride.2187 said:

If they actually buff shouts I'm gonna run it out of spite. You want bunkers? You get bunkers. And I'll do my best to frustrate every single player in every single conquest game, plus wvw roaming.

Bro don't ong. Like just outskill them on Strength SpB. It works, eventually they lose. All you need is Endure, Balanced, Rampage and your pull to be rdy. Don't fall down the crappy and dark shoutspam path 😢

Nah jk, do whatever, but I find it progressively more easy to counter Bladesworns who think that healing output can outheal dmg all the time. Although some do run Balanced over On My Mark, cause obviously, it's warrior, it has no reliable stab. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 8:37 PM, artharon.9276 said:

log out and double click on my guard. makes it very easy.

I initially laughed at this. But just this weekend I was doing the Foefire Cleansing achievements and I actually switched to my cfb, cause it was 10 times easier with good ranged condi dmg...

Edited by Hotride.2187

On 4/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

I'm just consolidating these here so that they're visible. There will be others. I don't want "difficulty in parsing the forums" to be the excuse for why banners are the only thing that get reworked in June.

These suggestions do not require significant reworks of the game, nor do they significantly impact the PvE experience. 

•  Adding Resolution Access to Spellbreaker and adding Resistance access to Berserker via their traitlines. You can pick where you add it, as long as the boon time is significant without being permanent. Resolution uptime would be good if an ICD kept it up on the spellbreaker for 33% of their time in combat. Resistance uptime would be good if an ICD/activation requirement kept it up on the Berserker for 50% of the time they spend in berserk. 
  • Adjusting Burst of Aggression so it reprocs on use of a burst skill, if the berserker takes Bloody Roar. *
  • Cooldown reductions for Shield StanceBerserker StanceEndure PainBalanced Stance and Frenzy. 5 seconds would be nice, 10 seconds would be fantastic. 
  • Making Berserkers immune to Weakness for the duration of Berserk, and cleanse it upon activation. 
  • Make Spellbreakers immune to Blindness for the duration of Sight Beyond Sight, instead of just removing it for the initial activation.
  • Adjust the cooldown of Outrage back to the 10 seconds it was originally.

These suggestions require minor reworks of warrior traitlines or skills.

• Make Fast Hands Baseline. 
  • Increase the block duration of Shattering Blow to 1.5 seconds and adjust the animation lock to last 1.5 seconds.
  • Adjust Wild Blow so it ignores blindness like it did originally.
  • turn the landing effect of Sundering Leap into an AoE knockdown for 3 seconds.
  • Turn Riposte and Counterblow into flipover skills that allow you to decide between whether you want to continue blocking or counterattack if you experience a melee attack during their durations.
  • Dispelling Force removes a boon (in addition to stability) upon connecting a CC skill on an opponent that has stability.

Adding an alternative interpretation suggested by @Lan Deathrider.5910 for the resistance/BoA here that would require major rework to zerker traitlines, but is extremely noteworthy:

FAQ:

[But why do warriors need buffs]

Because:

*Burst of Aggression should probably reproc on subsequent use of a primal burst skill in Berserk mode. This would require some adjustment of other traitlines, so if there's room for that see Lan's quote above.

[Thanks to (for suggestion additions) ]

* @ens.9854

* @Hotride.2187 

* @Lan Deathrider.5910

And ad more abiliti or weapons area combos warrior just have one acces to combo field : fire with only one weapon :long bow

Yes the master of weapons

10 hours ago, Drax.7308 said:

And ad more abiliti or weapons area combos warrior just have one acces to combo field : fire with only one weapon :long bow

Yes the master of weapons

you also have a fire field with torch and a ton of combo finishers 

3 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

you also have a fire field with torch and a ton of combo finishers 

There is also a Lightening Field from WoD, albeit on a long CD. Bladesworn has a light field on Electric Fence. Another Lightening field would have made more sense on Electric Fence though.

The point is that Warrior by design was built to be the combo finisher, not the field generator. That role was more for engis and eles though they've leapt lightyears beyond that.

It feels like Warrior is the only profession stuck in 2012 most of the time tbh.

Edited by Lan Deathrider.5910
typo
  • Like 4