Is there any purpose to Fishing...?

1 minute ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Yes, I asked whether Fishing was useful for anything besides Achievements and creating Fishing Buff food.

Most responses, however, were statements regarding people's opinions on Fishing. I know that it's a leizure activity, but "fun" and "usefulness" are two different pairs of shoes. 😉

Okay, that seems to be the only thing left to do then once you're done with all the Achievements. What a shame. I wish the fish could be used for non-fishing buff food, that would have been quite wonderful.

Ah, I see.

I’d agree that I’d like food made with fish to do significantly more than buff fishing. At this point I feel like I need to reserve one character who is fed fish for fishing power.

It’d be nice if there was food that provided the more general buffs and had the FP in there as well. It’d be useful for general content, and you could stop and fish as you want.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

So that's the only thing left to do then once you're done with all the Achievements? What a shame. I wish the fish could be used for non-fishing buff food, that would have been quite wonderful.

But it is usefull for other non fishingpower Bufffood. There is atleast one BiS CondiFood

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

yea, I've played alot of games with fishing activities and honestly, it's super rare that fishing in game is actually relaxing, most of the time it's a super annoying mini game with tons of things to consider, like time of day, baits, different poles etc.

Fishing in Ultima Online was pretty much perfect. I was in a fishing guild and we had weekly boat/fishing trips, we held events with fishing nets (spawns bigger critters).  No mini-game, just good fun. 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I pretty much only do the daily catch for the ambergris so I can slowly reduced the cost of a potential Aurene legendary. As someone already said, the ambergris is basically worth as much as your daily 2g and can sometimes be a lot quicker to obtain aswell. 

Edited by MajinSoul.4512

I do not think there is another point supposed to be - besides the achievements and the mats for the legendaries. (Which will drop in price to some stable level where people still to fishing regularly to sell them.)

And I knew that before. I mean ... that is how it usually works. Even if there was some other stuff associated with fishing - people would rush to complete it and then be done with it. And/or buying stuff from the TP.

Would need something unique - with bigger impact on the gameplay - where stuff could not be sold. But then people that did not like fishing would be annoyed and even the ones that liked fishing would have to take aways time from their other activities they usually do. Not easy to find a balancing there - I guess.

Imagine you had to feed the turtle with (lots of) fish (not tradeable at tp, not the filet you can trade) regularly to be able to use it. What would people do? Avoid using the turtle as much as possible instead of fishing. There always will be workarounds.

If you made this for the Skyscale that a lot of people love and have used for a long time - without having to "fuel" it ... then people would be super annoyed.

So ... I can't see them making anything different here. That is why from the beginning I expected there to not be a point in the long-term. (Though I actually thought the stuff for legendaries would be more expensive or at least non-tradeable to require more fishing that you have to do yourself.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Galmac.4680 said:

For me fishing is pretty unfunny, I don't like the idea that you MUST use buff food and the best tools to get something not even really good. Without that you won't fish outside of Seitung and the other new maps. 

In Kryta fishing with "just" some 300 fishing points is insane and frustrating.

1. fishing rod - 25

2. jade/amber lure - 100 

3. bait - 100

4. all fishing masteries - 100

5. using *any* food whilst on a skiff - 100

6. Whitefish Sushi (optional - less than 4s to craft) - 150 

7. Fishing party (you get this alone too, just fish on skiff) - 50 from 1 fish, 100 from 10 fish... goes up and up 

You can use buff food that is 50 copper and still get 100 fishing power from it, you do not NEED fishing food. You can easily get at least 475 fishing power after catching one fish without it.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2022 at 7:24 AM, Sarius.9285 said:

yea, I've played alot of games with fishing activities and honestly, it's super rare that fishing in game is actually relaxing, most of the time it's a super annoying mini game with tons of things to consider, like time of day, baits, different poles etc.

As you said yourself, fishing in games is always a mini game. That said, what were people expecting??? Hell, even in games about fishing, wherein fishing is the only activity, fishing is complex and difficult. Fishing has never been relaxing in games, like ever. (I'd argue fishing in real life isn't relaxing either and extremely boring.)

I guess some people wanted it to be lazy like mining a node, maybe something you could do AFK? Just press F at a fishing node and start catching? Maybe that would have satisfied some people. But others would have complained that it is too easy and there is nothing to do; a throw away feature they put no effort into.

I look at fishing as a mini game some people like, others don't. If you like it, do it. If not, don't. You won't miss out on anything if you skip it. Fishing, like any mini-game really, has no impact on the game as a whole regardless of whether you play it or not. Not every feature has to be one you're into.

Edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

7 minutes ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

I'd argue fishing in real life isn't relaxing either and extremely boring

well thats pretty much the definition of relaxing, just sitting back and checking your lure every 5-10 minutes is pretty relaxing.

8 minutes ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

You won't miss out on anything if you skip it

except all of the new elite spec weapons. For example I'm trying to get the Blue Dorado for over 2 weeks now lol

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Sarius.9285 said:

well thats pretty much the definition of relaxing, just sitting back and checking your lure every 5-10 minutes is pretty relaxing.

Relaxation is different for everyone. I find relaxation in physical activity, such as hiking and mental activity, such as reading. I don't find it in sitting around all day doing nothing. Even when im gaming, i want my avatar to be moving around doing something, working towards some goal, with as little repetition as possible.

except all of the new elite spec weapons. For example I'm trying to get the Blue Dorado for over 2 weeks now lol

This isn't an effective point in my opinion. As you just have to do it until you get the achievement, and then never again unless you want to. This could be applied to any number of achievements in game requiring content you dislike. For me that would be jumping puzzles. i do them only when i have to.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

On 4/29/2022 at 6:56 AM, Ashantara.8731 said:

...besides finishing the Fishing related achievements?

What else can you do with the fish you catch besides creating the +150 Fishing Power food?

So far Fishing is used in:

*16 Aurene Legendary Weapons, and their 80 additional skins.

*9 Ascended Elite Specialization Weapon Collections

*Siege Turtle Mount Unlock

*16 one-time 'catch them all' type Collection Achievements

*14 repeatable 'catch them all' type Collection Achievements

*Six new titles.

*Home Instance Turtle Pet

*Additional Mini-game/activity

*Fishing Competition Events

*Node for 5 new cooking materials/currencies:

-Fine Fish Fillets (Fine)

-Fablous Fish Fillets (Masterwork)

-Flavorful Fish Fillets (Rare)

-Fantastic Fish Fillets (Exotic)

-Flawless Fish Fillets (Ascended)

*11 known new cooking recipes: 

-Yellowfish Sushi

-Whitefish Sushi

-Orangefish Sushi

-Redfish Sushi

-Bowl of Fish Stew

-Bowl of Kimchi Tofu Stew

-Fishy Rice Bowl

-Bowl of Jade Sea Bounty

-Bowl of Echovald Hotpot

-Plate of Crispy Fish Pancakes

-Plate of Imperial Special

*6 Novelties:

-Endless Cave Crab Tonic

-Endless Dolphin Tonic

-Endless Hermit Crab Tonic

-Endless Koi Tonic

-Endless Shark Tonic

-Endless Thundershrimp Tonic

Edit Note: I know you said "besides fishing related achievements", but I wanted a fully comprehensive list, so I included them. 😜 Furthermore, I don't even like fishing, and didn't know even a quarter of this before looking it all up. 🤣

That said, I'm actually a little impressed at how much they did put in, because it's more than I had originally thought, and am now considering forcing myself to grind for the turtle pet... RIP me 😭 ...or maybe i'll have my brother do it, RIP him. 😈

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

As you said yourself, fishing in games is always a mini game.

Only game  I played that had fishing was Ulitma Online and it was perfect. No mini-game BS, just relaxing fishing with a pole.  You could use a net to attract sea monster to liven it up - but it was up to you. 😎

• Sad 1

This fishing thing, I forced myself to go for a few fishing sessions, and then I stopped totally. Boring like hell, so yeah what is the point? And they could have make the fishing mechanics less cumbersome and more fun. Even the Skiff thing, it's not easy to pull out the boat unlike the skimmer, but that rant will be on a different topic...

• Like 2

No... i give up its such a mess. I'm so sick of getting the same fish over and over.. Also what the point in making it so hardcore?

6 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

So far Fishing is used in:

*16 Aurene Legendary Weapons, and their 80 additional skins.

*Siege Turtle Mount Unlock

*16 one-time 'catch them all' type Collection Achievements

*14 repeatable 'catch them all' type Collection Achievements

*Six new titles.

*Home Instance Turtle Pet

*Additional Mini-game/activity

*Fishing Competition Events

*Node for 5 new cooking materials/currencies:

-Fine Fish Fillets (Fine)

-Fablous Fish Fillets (Masterwork)

-Flavorful Fish Fillets (Rare)

-Fantastic Fish Fillets (Exotic)

-Flawless Fish Fillets (Ascended)

*11 known new cooking recipes: 

-Yellowfish Sushi

-Whitefish Sushi

-Orangefish Sushi

-Redfish Sushi

-Bowl of Fish Stew

-Bowl of Kimchi Tofu Stew

-Fishy Rice Bowl

-Bowl of Jade Sea Bounty

-Bowl of Echovald Hotpot

-Plate of Crispy Fish Pancakes

-Plate of Imperial Special

*6 Novelties:

-Endless Cave Crab Tonic

-Endless Dolphin Tonic

-Endless Hermit Crab Tonic

-Endless Koi Tonic

-Endless Shark Tonic

-Endless Thundershrimp Tonic

Edit Note: I know you said "besides fishing related achievements", but I wanted a fully comprehensive list, so I included them. 😜 Furthermore, I don't even like fishing, and didn't know even a quarter of this before looking it all up. 🤣

That said, I'm actually a little impressed at how much they did put in, because it's more than I had originally thought, and am now considering forcing myself to grind for the turtle pet... RIP me 😭 ...or maybe i'll have my brother do it, RIP him. 😈

So nothing useful then, thanks for the heads up, i'll avoid the mess.

Trying to get the little yellow thing to keep up the little blue randomly moving thing is inane and its got to be exact.. even if its off by a hair its a loss, the devs that created this mess need to be fired, or the people who instructed the devs to make it like this need to go.

Horrible mess. Another useless waste of code to avoid.

On 4/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, Elricht Kaltwind.8796 said:

What if I told you that the point of fishing is exactly the same as the point of playing Guild Wars 2?

You'd be wrong.. Its designed to feed yourself and others, relaxing - check, hanging out with friends - check, pondering life the universe and why guildwars 2 got it all wrong.. - check.

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

This isn't an effective point in my opinion. As you just have to do it until you get the achievement, and then never again unless you want to. This could be applied to any number of achievements in game requiring content you dislike. For me that would be jumping puzzles. i do them only when i have to.

lol what? That is very much an effective point. There are 9 unique skins locked behind fishing.

also in the first part you said.

12 hours ago, OtakuModeEngage.8679 said:

when im gaming, i want my avatar to be moving around doing something, working towards some goal, with as little repetition as possible.

so what is it?

• Like 2

On 4/29/2022 at 4:01 PM, Tukaram.8256 said:

It was supposed to be fun and as they said "kick back and relax"... but they made it a mini-game instead.  I do not know if the rewards are any good, but it is not what I would call fun.  I was really looking forward to fishing too... oh well... such is life. 😎

The mini-game is what makes fishing worth it imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

No... i give up its such a mess. I'm so sick of getting the same fish over and over.. Also what the point in making it so hardcore?

Its not really that "hardcore", its actually pretty normal for most video games I've played that have fishing in it. ...if you think this is hardcore... I legit honestly don't know what to say. Forget Raids, forget Fractals even, have you ever been in a simple Dungeon?

So nothing useful then, thanks for the heads up, i'll avoid the mess.

Hey, each to their own, we all like different rewards. Some of these im into, others im not.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

lol what? That is very much an effective point. There are 9 unique skins locked behind fishing.

My point was everything is locked behind something. You're not gonna like everything you have to do in the game to get some of the things you want. So just do it enough to unlock what you want, and move on. After that, if you don't like it, don't play it. For you this thing is Fishing, for me its: WvW, PvP, Jumping Puzzels, and Fishing. If i can get multiple gifts of battle despite disliking WVW, you can fish long enough to get your Aurene legendary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1