Willbender is Power Revenant but allowed to be good

On 5/5/2022 at 12:27 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

He's a forum legend. 

He always finds a way to disagree with OP. Regardless the topic. 

And the best part, if you agree with Obtena, he's starting to disagree with you too. 

Obtena. Collector of [Wierd]. 

More like forum meme.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2022 at 3:26 AM, Silesium.5623 said:

lol Obtena.7952 have to put his 3 latters on every topic on this forum no one is SAFE!

Watch out, this one's got a babysitter among forum mods, say anything offensive and you might get banned. Not an exaggeration.
At this point that PERSON is just collecting "confused" (aka downvotes lmao) reactions for the sake of sick bragging right.

As for the thread itself, they might adjust it in time. People already whine all over the place about how impossible it is to run away from WB's shadowsteps and ridiculous damage. However, I'll say this again: Some classes are allowed to be good at both +1 and 1vs1s and for some reason the others are not.

Edited by Vasdamas Anklast.1607
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

Watch out, this one's got a babysiert among forum mods, say anything offensive and you might get banned. Not an exaggeration.
At this point that PERSON is just collecting "confused" (aka downvotes lmao) reactions for the sake of sick bragging right.

As for the thread itself, they might adjust it in time. People already whine all over the place about how impossible it is to run away from WB's shadowsteps and ridiculous damage. However, I'll say this again: Some classes are allowed to be good at both +1 and 1vs1s and for some reason the others are not.

Depends on if they are one of the "baby" classes, which a-net has put in their favorite pile.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Thornwolf.9721 said:

Depends on if they are one of the "baby" classes, which a-net has put in their favorite pile.

I don't think ANet has any test control large enough in human resources or time to grant any given specific bias or control over the performance delivering of each class.

In other words: the "meta" in each corner of the game is defined by what the most skilled players outside the conpany find out and chose to share, not by a "plan" or "design" from ANet or anything similar. Willbender was hot crap at EoD release and only got promoted from that status due recent buffs made it better, and due happens than one of the best players around (Naru) mains Guardian and was able to make it work. But I don't think that ANet had a specific goal to make this or that class sucessful at a given niche.

Also, the difference in usage in classes is relatively low: most popular one is maybe a 4-5% above the least used one. ANet can only adjust what players find out, but they have 0 control over what people play (and that's one of the reasons their approach to instanced PvE is a total failure).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 5/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, TheSeraphim.7413 said:

I have transitioned into the true Herald endgame of being a Minstrel Facet bot in WvW and contributing to the boon blob.

NooOOOooOOOoooOOOo, why????

At least use celestials >_>... i use zealots in mine, if i want to go full support i use clerics wich have more healing power then minstrells,  ence the regen above 1k and elevated compation  also heals a good amount of health, and never drop power under 2k.

Edited by Aeolus.3615
  • Confused 1

On 5/7/2022 at 7:09 PM, Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:

Well guadian was certainly believed to be Colin's baby class.

And yet during Core and most of HoT (which is when Colin worked at Anet) Guardian outside of WvW wasn't particularly good or well represented in either instanced PvE or PvP for ages 

Edit: For those that are reacting with "Confused" y'all really need to go take a GW2 History Lesson and look up old Dungeon runs (rarely any guardians, especially in speedruns) and early HoT raids and HoT PvP (DH was not high tier until near the end of HoT, almost 2 years into the expansion and 4 years into the games lifespan.  Guardian was SUPER underrepresented in PvP for ages back then). 

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11

8 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

For those that are reacting with "Confused" y'all really need to go take a GW2 History Lesson and look up old Dungeon runs (rarely any guardians, especially in speedruns)

Guardian was actually pretty popular in Arah, after people found the Giganticus Lupicus exploit of luring it into the wall and then reflecting its projectiles at the start of phase 2.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:32 PM, Buran.3796 said:

I don't think ANet has any test control large enough in human resources or time to grant any given specific bias or control over the performance delivering of each class.

..it just so happens that CONSISTENTLY through sheer force of chance and random chaos, it turns out that guardian is the one that trips over the performance line and falls into top tier, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

And yet during Core and most of HoT (which is when Colin worked at Anet) Guardian outside of WvW wasn't particularly good or well represented in either instanced PvE or PvP for ages 

Edit: For those that are reacting with "Confused" y'all really need to go take a GW2 History Lesson and look up old Dungeon runs (rarely any guardians, especially in speedruns) and early HoT raids and HoT PvP (DH was not high tier until near the end of HoT, almost 2 years into the expansion and 4 years into the games lifespan.  Guardian was SUPER underrepresented in PvP for ages back then). 

Guardian was pretty much always meta except season 1 cuz chrono was busted af. But even then it was always solid pick in any game mode and thats not going to change. Simply put guardian has solid design. Ofc they have their own issues and trash weapons (hammer) but overall they were always the only class with multiple builds to play. Cant say the same about other classes or builds (except necro). Even if something outside of shiro/glint was playable in pvp it was gutted cuz reasons

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Guardian was actually pretty popular in Arah, after people found the Giganticus Lupicus exploit of luring it into the wall and then reflecting its projectiles at the start of phase 2.

Okay you found the one exception; it doesn't take away from the rest of what I said

2 hours ago, Scoobaniec.9561 said:

Guardian was pretty much always meta except season 1 cuz chrono was busted af. But even then it was always solid pick in any game mode and thats not going to change. Simply put guardian has solid design. Ofc they have their own issues and trash weapons (hammer) but overall they were always the only class with multiple builds to play. Cant say the same about other classes or builds (except necro). Even if something outside of shiro/glint was playable in pvp it was gutted cuz reasons

Yeah, that's not true. DH/Guard did not become a high tier pick for almost a year and a half after HoT. No high tier teams were playing it. Did people play it in regular ranked? Sure, but that's been the case for every class always regardless.

Edited by LucianTheAngelic.7054
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Okay you found the one exception; it doesn't take away from the rest of what I said

Yeah, that's not true. DH/Guard did not become a high tier pick for almost a year and a half after HoT. No high tier teams were playing it. Did people play it in regular ranked? Sure, but that's been the case for every class always regardless.

DH may have not been top tier meta pick but it was solid pick to go with. Were there better options? Yeah sure. Was DH horrible crap? Not really. And thats in most dead gamemode which nobody even care about. Looking at situation rn willy overshadow other guard builds. Does that mean they are bad/unplayable? Nope. They might not be necessary meta but are perfectly playable if someone want to have other options to play with their guard. Burn guard, supp guard, dh, willy. All of em have their pros n cons. The list becomes larger the moment u step into wvw. U can never go wrong with guard even if he aint meta.

Now how many viable builds rev has in comprasion?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

..it just so happens that CONSISTENTLY through sheer force of chance and random chaos, it turns out that guardian is the one that trips over the performance line and falls into top tier, I guess.

Take in consideration that this topic is mainly about how currently the Willbender is perceived in PvP compared to Revenants, but prior to the EoD post release buffs Guardian have been limited in PvP to just pure core support: power and condi core Guardian were too weak to be used in MATs, Dragonhunter (albeit usable in Conquest) was never used at tournaments and Firebrand, while being totally broken at PoF's release has been nerfed in so many ways (damage, sustain, support, boon duration...) that has been DELETED from PvP for at least 2.5-3 years.

I don't particulary enjoy a pure support role, so for the last 3 years I barely touched Guardian in PvP. It has been meta for long time in PvE, tho, but that is mainly because so much useful tools has at it disposal. Revenant has the disadvantage of having 0 versatility in skill selection, having the Herald entirely neutered in terms of support in boon duration, and capped in terms of how much might and vulnerability can proc not only in team contents but also for itself.

Another thing thaty makes me think that ANet isn't necesarely biased towards Guardian is that when Blizzard's WoW started to implode and bleed players and content creators last summer, the few ones I saw trying GW2 jumped mostly in the Necro wagon, and not in Guardian. I guess that having a "heavy mele tank" with only 11 HP and low mobility is not ebough to seduce new players, no matter how "meta" is, if you can find more fun (and sustain) in other professions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1