The importance of language

GW2 is a great game with many designs pioneered in MMORPGs.

However, why is such an excellent game still unable to have the number of top three players in the world?
Because GW2 is currently only a Western MMO, not a global MMO.
Supporting only 4 languages in the game is lethal.
We can divide the world game market into several blocks, America, Europe , Central Asia, Russia, Asia etc.
I've seen too many players who want to play the game but end up because of the language.

How long can you watch a movie in a language you don't understand?
Even if you watch it, how long can such enthusiasm support you?
If you can't make it through a two-hour movie, what about an MMO?

To be honest, out of Europe and the United States, GW2 is basically known to few people.
Why other global MMOs can be popular all over the world, because they either have servers around the world to support local players, or have a variety of different languages to support players around the world.
However, I know that the cost of the former is very huge, so I think the servers will continue to be concentrated in Europe and the United States, but can support major languages such as Chinese (1/5 of the world's population uses Chinese), Japanese (one of the most advanced game and anime countries), Korean (the world's e-sports country), Russian, etc. are the best ways.

I know that GW2 cannot be directly operated in China due to policy, and it is handed over to agents to operate
But that's not mainstream, and the agency isn't doing well.
There are a lot of people who don't live in China but speak Chinese, they need language support very much, and this is just an example of Asia.
That's why people keep saying that this game is underrated.

If, as they say, the extra language doesn't make sense, why would they have a China special edition?
For a product to break into the world, it must at least gain a firm foothold in Eastern and Western countries. This is a very basic truth, you know, I know, and they know that too.
They're doing it now like someone who loves steak, but doesn't get paid enough to pay for the steak, so he buys beef jerky and tells people that he doesn't like steak and steak isn't economical.

And the funniest thing is that people believed it.

Any decision has a corresponding cost. If GW2 really wants to become the world's top existence, this move must be taken.
I hope the goodness of GW2 can be seen by the world.

Edited by Loic.9657
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 13

You may want to look into other MMOs before making the assumption that supporting only a few languages is lethal or at least an issue.  FF14 is probably the top MMO at the moment.  It only supports 4 languages (English, French, German, Japanese).  GW2 supports the first three but Spanish instead of Japanese.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7
  • Confused 2

It's underrated just due to lack of advertising even in the U.S., not just because of lack of Mandarin or Portuguese.  It's not the newest game, it's not a console game, and many MMORPGs are poorly known except by people who play them.  And yep, comes down to budget, and I don't think the ultimate goal is to be the number one game in the world.  More just longevity and surviving in a market where things are always about the latest and greatest.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But i thougt China has is own version of gw2 with language and all?

Do i misunderstand here something?

What was this thread about that in China, legys get sold on the gemstore? Was this a lie? I'm confused.

Its about people who speak chinese and dont live in china so they cant play on those servers I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve have no objections to more languages, but I’m pretty certain they know the pros and cons of this way better than any one of us and whether it is worth the time and the resources versus the return investment. If they thought it was worth doing, they would have done it by now. People are paid to work these things out with information we do not have access to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But i thougt China has is own version of gw2 with language and all?

Do i misunderstand here something?

What was this thread about that in China, legys get sold on the gemstore? Was this a lie? I'm confused.

Good point, now I'm confused.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

You may want to look into other MMOs before making the assumption that supporting only a few languages is lethal or at least an issue.  FF14 is probably the top MMO at the moment.  It only supports 4 languages (English, French, German, Japanese).  GW2 supports the first three but Spanish instead of Japanese.

You can't compare GW2 to FF14.
From the perspective of business goals, FF is like a big tree. His roots touch a lot of RPG fields, and even mobile phones have his games.
GW2's strategy is to concentrate on doing one thing well, and at most sell some peripheral goods.
In terms of exposure, the former has taken care of people in various fields, so more people know FF and consolidate its current position.
Coupled with the play of Asmongold a while ago, the popularity of FF14 has been raised to an extreme.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 8

12 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

It's underrated just due to lack of advertising even in the U.S., not just because of lack of Mandarin or Portuguese.  It's not the newest game, it's not a console game, and many MMORPGs are poorly known except by people who play them.  And yep, comes down to budget, and I don't think the ultimate goal is to be the number one game in the world.  More just longevity and surviving in a market where things are always about the latest and greatest.  

Playing an MMO takes a lot of time.
Everyone's time is limited.
Now technology is advanced and information is transmitted rapidly.
If there is an MMORPG in the future that really has all the goodies it should have (Ashes of creation?), if it really promises to design such a game.
Then the rest of the MMORPG market will slowly die and be phased out.
And this is just one game, if there are other potential masterpieces ready to launch, there must be.
If you want to live, you have to win.
With this mentality, you can achieve the longevity and survival you said.
I suggest that you travel more around the world after the epidemic is over, you will understand that the well-known MMORPG is not only known by the people who play it, but really known by the public.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 6

6 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Please use the forums search feature to read all of the previous threads on this topic and understand why Anet won't be doing this.

Thank you for the reminder, it is because I have read it that this article appears.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

20 minutes ago, Loic.9657 said:

You can't compare GW2 to FF14.
From the perspective of business goals, FF is like a big tree. His roots touch a lot of RPG fields, and even mobile phones have his games.
GW2's strategy is to concentrate on doing one thing well, and at most sell some peripheral goods.
In terms of exposure, the former has taken care of people in various fields, so more people know FF and consolidate its current position.
Coupled with the play of Asmongold a while ago, the popularity of FF14 has been raised to an extreme.

I literally countered your claim that supporting few languages is lethal to a game. You can’t pick and choose which games that applies to. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, mythical.6315 said:

Regions are typically listed geographically.  

Yeah, geographically they are more Asia (or a really big Pacific Island ha ha).  Quite a lot of Australia shares time zones with Russia/China/Japan... it is a long way to Europe. 😎

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

sorry what?

13 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Didn't you know that they are right next door to each other?  /s

Maybe OP got confused with Australia participating in the European Song Contest since 2015 and didn't bother to look up a world map?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, mythical.6315 said:

Didn't you know that they are right next door to each other?  /s

I live in Australia and often walk to Europe. It's much closer than people think.  Okay, I lied. But I did have French food once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8