The wait queues of WVW and what this is doing to my enjoyment of guild wars

Senna.1358

I've been playing guild wars like many for quite some time.. been there since the beginning before mounts and HOT and POF and EOD .. built up all the toons and have had many happy hours playing guildwars.   I dabbled in WVW and then over the years grew more serious about it.   From time to time there were brief map queues to get in but nothing serious on the wait times.   I'd say when covid hit there was quite a bit more people showing up in gw and in wvw.    Things have evolved to the point where there are many players really enjoying and playing WVW content.  Everybody looks forward to reset night when they can collect more tickets and get more content.  Its clear that the size of the player base wanting into the WVW the first few days of after reset and particulary reset is more then ANET's  server/software configuration can handle and hence the queues.   At first it was tolerable,  then it became a bit frustrating,  and now.. its fairly intolerable.  To the point where WVW is not fun anymore the first few days after reset.  Trying to join my guild/squad is frustrating... and no its not me, cause i have fiber optic cable and a really good computer.   Everybody is aware of this problem that plays WVW..  its just getting worse and worse.  We all know it.   I'm sure Anet is aware of it.   Alliances hasn't worked .. fully.. .... yet.     Maybe its time for the developers and project managers of ANET to get with the program on this before they start losing long term players.  ANET?  you need to fix this growing issue asap please.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3

The queues at launch were this bad too.  It's not worse now than then. It's the nature of the beast. No one has the technology to have a thousand players on a single map. It doesn't work that way. WvW by it's very nature is a persistent permanent map, not an instance of which there are more instances.

This isn't some new problem that Anet has to suddenly fix. This has been the case pretty much from launch.  People have queues on reset days.  There's no way to fix it without completely redesigning WvW and who knows if you'd like it better or not. 

There really isn't anything Anet can do besides slightly raising the player cap, maybe, and that might make over all play worse.  I don't really see a solution.

• Like 4

While I can't disagree with what the OP and @Vayne.8563 are saying, I have to add that there is a simple workaround, one that works for me at least. I don't even try to log in on Friday after the weekly reset or on Saturday evenings, NA time. Those seem to be the times with the heaviest usage and longest queues. At other times, I only run into queues occasionally, and then, usually, only on one or two maps that are particularly hot at a given moment. There is a strong caveat I also have to add here though. I'm an old, retired guy, without any family or work obligations at this point in my life. So I can set my schedule any way I want to. I can see how queues would be frustrating for folks whose rl obligations put tight constraints on when they can play. I don't know if there is a solution and, given Anet's track record on WvW, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

As a software developer and systems engineer with lots of professional experience (many years) in object based systems, relational databases and n-tiered systems.. I understand the challenges facing Anet.. with the costs of production, keeping everybody happy and yada yada yada.. it may not be a good cost to benefit ratio to fix/redo.   The technology does exist tho... all you have to do is look at the game EVE.  Anyhow hopefully it will all get fixed.. in the meantime I can go get resources for my next crafting project and for my guild as somebody suggested.

• Like 1

Reset queues have been around since day one.

It only lasts like 1-2 hours after reset now, out of the entire week.

Queue times have even declined over the years, in fact there are still resets where not even all four maps have queues, or don't get them 10-20mins into the reset.

EOTM was created to handle the overflow issues of queues.

We're lucky we even got a dx11 upgrade, the game is old, running on an old engine, where the code is probably spaghetti by now. 

Think they'll spend any money and resources upgrading systems to help wvw, which they actively ignore 99% of it's existence, for 2 hours of the week problem that really only affects wvw? The answer is no, alliances/world restructuring barely even got into beta after four years and still counting....

i think you don´t really remember how queues were sometimes when GW2 initially launched. 
Depending on the server you were, there sometimes were queues of 60+ people on the borders, and 100+ queues on EBG all at the same time, even when it was not reset-friday. 

So the current queues are nothing compared to what it used to be at release. And just as it has already been said, you only have these extreme queues usually on reset-night (what a surprise). 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Custodio.6134 said:

i think you don´t really remember how queues were sometimes when GW2 initially launched. 
Depending on the server you were, there sometimes were queues of 60+ people on the borders, and 100+ queues on EBG all at the same time, even when it was not reset-friday. 

So the current queues are nothing compared to what it used to be at release. And just as it has already been said, you only have these extreme queues usually on reset-night (what a surprise). 

A lot of you are also forgetting (or haven't been around long enough to remember) that in the first year or so of WvW queues, we didn't even have a counter.  You might be first in the queue, you might be the 100th player in the queue.  You had absolutely no way of knowing, and there were absolutely weekends where I'd queue up in the morning and not make it through the queue for 5-6 hours, only to have the game crash 15-20 minutes after I got in.  And you had no idea if the other maps were just as full...so once you chose to put yourself in a queue, you didn't dare try for another map in the meantime.

And then there was the culling...

What we have now is 100x better than what we had in the first year of the game.  Now if only Anet could wrap their heads around this thing called "balance". 🤣

Edited by Ronin.4501
  • Like 1

queue? I have not seen for 6 months now even a map on the evening of the reset. and if I think about it I've seen a map in the queue with 5 or 10 players rarely for more than 1 year . stuff to open a bottle of sparkling wine when you see it. this says a lot about how much work should be done to have numerically similar teams.

on the other hand, we always have active numerical inferiority.

don't worry just transfer right? no thanks it's not for me, that stuff I leave to all the winning players and all the cowards of this game mode.

so keep moving and stacking and enjoying your beautiful queues.

• Confused 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, Senna.1358 said:

As a software developer and systems engineer with lots of professional experience (many years) in object based systems, relational databases and n-tiered systems.. I understand the challenges facing Anet.. with the costs of production, keeping everybody happy and yada yada yada.. it may not be a good cost to benefit ratio to fix/redo.   The technology does exist tho... all you have to do is look at the game EVE.  Anyhow hopefully it will all get fixed.. in the meantime I can go get resources for my next crafting project and for my guild as somebody suggested.

Ok if you want it to behave like EVE with time dilation so when you press W to move forward or any skill in general the game server process that once a minute instead of probably 20+ times a second thats fine... but why?

• 1 year later...

Being in a high queue is annoying, but it is most infuriating when you wait and the queue pops and you get the "travel " dialog.  You click "travel", and instead of entering the map, it tells you map is full and dumps you at the end of the queue.  This is an old bug, and after all this time I suspect that Anet simply does not have the ability to fix it.

1 hour ago, Pirate Jack James.6325 said:

Reset night and i CAN"T PLAY WITH MY GUILD not fun at all!

A year later post necro? So since you necro'd what happened? Just saying you didn't get in gives no scale. Worse it means you had coverage at your time zone that most complain they did not have so you above the curve. Was this on a over-stacked or under-stacked server for the time zone? Devil is in the details. So what happened? 

• Confused 1