Dungeon Reward Update

Dungeons are the first instanced group content new players can experience in Guild Wars 2, and with this update we're looking to simplify and standardize their rewards structure for a more satisfying experience.

• A new global dungeon currency, Tales of Dungeon Delving, has been introduced.
    • All previous dungeon currencies have been retired.
    • Completing any dungeon will now award Tales of Dungeon Delving.
    • Existing dungeon currencies will be converted to the new Tales of Dungeon Delving currency upon logging in.
  • To purchase rare armor from a dungeon merchant, players are required to complete the dungeon story mode associated with the armor.
  • To purchase exotic armor, weapons, and legendary gifts from dungeon merchants, players are now required to complete the dungeon explorable mode associated with the item.
    • Note: Accounts that have already completed any story mode or explorable path before this change are exempt from this requirement.
  • The final chest awarded after completing each explorable dungeon path will now award one piece of rare equipment.

So it looks like they combined all dungeon currencies under a new currency.  This change has been suggested before, not just for dungeons, and one of the criticisms was that it would cause players to just do whichever is the easiest or quickest.  In the case of the dungeons, this would be farming the easiest paths.  Need a Gift of Arah?  Just farm AC instead. 

In the coming months, we'll see the impact that this change has had on players who want to do paths which are not the easy/quick ones and whether this should, or shouldn't, be applied to the living world currencies as well.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

This change has been suggested before, not just for dungeons, and one of the criticisms would be that it would cause players to just do whichever is the easiest.

Which is what will happen naturally. From what I have seen the number of tokens as a reward  is the same no matter the dungeon.  People will absolutely do  SE1, AC 123, etc.  instead of Arah 4. The change has it's positives for veterans looking to get gifts easily or finish their collections. Not so for new players looking to explore dungeons.

Perhaps increasing the token reward for the more difficult paths.

Edited by Ionut.2307
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

This is such a dumb change. No one will ever run the longer and less straight forward dungeons anymore. Maybe instead of homogenizing the dungeon rewards anet could actually add more desirable rewards to the merchants or as drops??? Once again its mind boggling that a mmo game studio cant understand this sort of thing, but leave it to Anet to kill dungeon running after 10 years of ignoring it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Psh, who did them anymore even for the gifts?

Do the dungeon reward tracks from PvP/WvW and pick up Tyrian Exchange Vouchers from the weekly vendors at each festival. Hell I have 5 vouchers sitting in my inventory waiting on me to decide with Gen1 legendary to make next.

On a related not to the update though, they did not mention tokens from reward tracks. Can someone verify if those now give the new currency or if they still give the old currencies? Not an issue if they give the old currencies so long as they go into the wallet as the new one automatically.

Personally I see this as them cleaning up the wallet. That thing has gotten messy with all the currencies they've added.

• Haha 1

This update sucks for new accounts, because everything is locked unless you do the explorable paths of THAT dungeon. You want a chest from Arah? You have to do Arah 6 times. Doesn't matter that you can get tokens from any dungeon, that specific dungeon is locked unless you grind that specific dungeon.

For new accounts vouchers are useless. Doesn't matter if you can get a bunch of free dungeon token when you still have to grind every dungeon 6 times to unlock all the items.

Edited by Lanna.4291
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lanna.4291 said:

This update sucks for new accounts, because everything is locked unless you do the explorable paths of THAT dungeon. You want a chest from Arah? You have to do Arah 6 times. Doesn't matter that you can get tokens from any dungeon, that specific dungeon is locked unless you grind that specific dungeon.

For new accounts vouchers are useless. Doesn't matter if you can get a bunch of free dungeon token when you still have to grind every dungeon 6 times to unlock all the items.

Before the change, you still had to tho Arah for arah chest ,(well.... exept frequenter)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

Before the change, you still had to tho Arah for arah chest ,(well.... exept frequenter)

No before the patch you had vouchers,  pvp and wvw for currency for gifts and skins.

You were able to buy everything without running a single path.

Now people are forced to run 6 paths, good luck to have them done now with the state of dungeons  and as bonus many vet are locked out (spend the week-end to re run all  or wait for a fixe to finish that gen1?).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Zenli.3684 said:

No before the patch you had vouchers,  pvp and wvw for currency for gifts and skins.

Now people are forced to run 6 paths, good luck to have them done now with the state of dungeons  and as bonus many vet are locked out (spend the week-end to re run all  or wait for a fixe to finish that gen1?).

So what the problem is exactly? That people actually need to finish the dungeons once if they want rewards from them?
ouchers can still be used to get dungeon tokens, but now if you want Arah Gift you don't need to do Arah and get the tokens through Dungeons people actually do. 

• Confused 3

Yes that why I'm quite mad about this change.

New players used to have a nice workaround to get stuff from dungeons, now they will hit the empty lfg wall.

Don't tell me they can create their lfg it will fill fast as  even vet are often afraid to create their own.

If they get in they will get  oblitarated  at Lupicus, or run visible  in Caudecus and get shot in loop (daily exeperience)  or  won't like the buggued content  like  Detha  not spawing her traps in  AC...

They will give up as it is now a blocker to get their shiny weapon.

Years ago we did that same content but it was the main content, we were having fun on mumble/teamspeak dying on COE lasers, discovering that we all had l15 water weapon in hotw, dungeons were a lot of xp before tomes...

We were happy to get our zerk stuff from farming cof p1 or coe.

Now it is nightmare/monk runes runs and the occasionnal special runs for gift between festival, fun and people are elsewhere and .

• Haha 1

On 6/8/2022 at 12:17 AM, Zenli.3684 said:

My bad. I never player wvw or pvp so i did not know about those options.

I have to say I like this change because whenever I need monk runes (or for example aristocracy) i dont need to farm for 3 days but can get it at one by running multiple dungeons

• Sad 1

Previous to this change you might see multiple half (or less) groups spread across multiple dungeon paths in LFG for extended periods of time before giving up because they couldnt find enough people to fill their group. Now those groups could, theoretically, combine and each member could get the rewards they want.

As to specific paths, such as Arah path 4, people were not doing it for the rewards before.  People wanting it for completion will have to do what they have been doing for a decade, ask guildies for help.

• Confused 1

Hasn't the train already left the city?

The harder dungeons got rarley played before this update.

But it's such a strange change ... i saw a thumbnail from muk which said dungeon-update and i thought. Oh, OH? Are they listening? Are they listening?

And then i logged in and read the mail ... yeah ... wow ...

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

For years I did WvW reward tracks for the dungeon tokens, instead of running the dungeons. I have over 5000 now. But they are useless because I am now locked out of buying the stuff to make legendary weapons, and most of the dungeon armor and weapons.

I am irked that this was taken away, and that WvW only players are now locked out of this, when the game originally provided a separate path for earning/crafting. 

Yes, I can run the dungeons now to unlock stuff, but it should have been grandfathered rather than taken away.

13 minutes ago, cosmic charlie.6201 said:

For years I did WvW reward tracks for the dungeon tokens, instead of running the dungeons. I have over 5000 now. But they are useless because I am now locked out of buying the stuff to make legendary weapons, and most of the dungeon armor and weapons.

I am irked that this was taken away, and that WvW only players are now locked out of this, when the game originally provided a separate path for earning/crafting. 

Yes, I can run the dungeons now to unlock stuff, but it should have been grandfathered rather than taken away.

I believe it was supposed to be grandfathered for you, but some people are still bugged, even after they partially fixed the unnecessary vendor lock.

• Confused 1