Remake of Guild Wars 1

please not. gw1 is perfectly fine as it is. A remake would inevitable be awful, with probably a strong cash shop, etc. 

Not everything needs to be remade, especially if the game is still well functional and played by a surprisingly large amount of people

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

2 minutes ago, Dragon.3120 said:

Plz stop this, dont make the same mistake of the old community mangers, we know what u do, we know how it works. and we dont like it.

Thank you in regards.

Wut?

Anyways, no.  Please God No, no don't remake GW1.  I can't trust the current iteration of Anet to NOT change it for the worst.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Hm, this would seriously bleed off development resources from Guild Wars 2 and I don't think that would be wise.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Guild Wars 1, probably even more than Guild Wars 2. Especially the story of Prophecies is unparalleled. But GW1 is finished. A remake would not bring new rewards or goals to existing characters and accounts. I've filled my HoM. Got all skills. Got my GWAMM. The thing I like most with MMOs is working on long-term goals. A remake would bring nothing of that.

However, expansions of GW2 brings both new content as well as long term goals for character development. As well as a more up-to-date engine.

That does not mean that nothing can be done for GW1. Over the past years we got some smaller but wonderful updates bringing us better widescreen support, better graphics quality some new skills and content and storage options. These cost relatively little development time and still brought a lot of joy to the GW1 playerbase.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

I believe that the Dev team has run out of steam. They only have time to fix what they considered game breaking bugs and no time for other stuffs be it enhancements, fixes or QoL improvements. For years they won't do it or perhaps they can't do it. Probably the later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dragon.3120 said:

Hey all,

how about a remake or remastered of Guild Wars 1. Nearly every old active game got one. Why not for Guild wars 1.

Thank you

Open for diskussions!

Crazy idea, but hear me out - play original GW1 as servers are still up...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Why not?  Because there is no financial benefit to Anet to remaking something that they intentionally put into maintenance mode so that they could provide an improved product.

I would much rather Anet spend their resources on the current game.

This^^

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I don't see anything they could remake there. Started to play this 2019 and currently completing remaining "titles". And it was worse than GW2 in a lot of things. (Cartographer title feels "grindy".) Better in some things. Main changes they could make is to graphics and gameplay I guess - which might lead to people disliking it who especially liked the old style.

And for more modern stuff we have GW2. Best they could do is add more fractals with story from GW1. Or stuff to the Scrying Pool.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I would be more than happy with just some minor updates that make martial heroes useful. They do less damage and have fewer utilities than caster heroes. Melee heroes, in particular, spend too much time wandering back and forth between targets, or getting body blocked and standing still doing nothing. Assassin heroes are even worse since they can rarely land a full lead-off-dual chain on the same target. I think making some PVE specific changes to some skills would make martial heroes more attractive for casual play, even if it doesn't include them in the meta.

I'm not a dev, but I think the following might be simple ways of buffing martial heroes without too much work, and without accidentally buffing PVE monsters much.

Monk

Strength of Honor: Make it so heroes don't cancel this. Right now, heroes constantly cancel this (sometimes DURING combat), losing valuable energy and recharge time. Against enemies that constantly remove enchants, micro casting this repeatedly gets annoying.

Necromancer

Order of the Vampire and Order of Pain: Double the duration so that heroes will have an easier time keeping these buffs up.

Spiteful Spirit and Barbs: Reduce casting time. Heroes often start casting these when an enemy is almost dead. By the time the hero finishes casting, the enemy is dead with barely any ticks. DoT's, in general, are not too useful right now because of how fast things die.

Mark of Pain: Give better AI usage. For example, heroes should only cast this on targets with high HP and adjacent to other targets.

Paragon

Go for the Eyes: Make it last for 2 hits.

Anthem of Envy: Remove the HP requirement.

Anthem of Flame: Make it last for 2 hits.

Assassin

Palm Strike: Reduce recharge time to 4 seconds. This may allow Assassin heroes to more reliably land dual attacks.

Ranger

Barrage: Don't lose preparations.

Spirits: Lower casting times and recharge times for PVE. Because of how fast player groups move from one enemy group to another, spending 5 seconds to cast a spirit is completely useless.

Edited by BlueJin.4127
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Best they could do is add more fractals with story from GW1.

Don't know why they don't do this already... aside from that they'd need to make new resources for it. There are a lot of great story moments that might even highlight some lore for people who only know GW2.

Or even do a fractal about the Guild Wars, the titular events that the series is named after that is barely touched except for an April Fools questline.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, kharmin.7683 said:

Kinda answered your own question, no?

A few character models, period-appropriate armor, and flavor scenery aside, the only geographic regions they don't already have reasonable analogues for is post-searing Ascalon, Kaineng, and the Realm of Torment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Wut?

Anyways, no.  Please God No, no don't remake GW1.  I can't trust the current iteration of Anet to NOT change it for the worst.

While I love a remake of just the graphics of GW1, I feel the same as you do. But I feel if they just do the gfx it would be ok, I dont have complaints about that at all.

• Haha 1