So... I got my Zhaitan sword a few days ago and now it's 75% off...

I asked the support team to give me back my 7.5k research notes. I think, it's only fair since they didn't communicate the change earlier and 7.5k is a lot of notes! That's dozens of ascendeds!

But instead of being understanding, they gave me a soulless, canned corporate response:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to the Guild Wars 2 Support Team.

While I understand the reasons for your request, we do not provide compensation for this type of issue. The game is in continuous development and evolves over time. As a result, changes to skills, gear, and vendor prices are to be expected.

We encourage you to post your feedback on the Guild Wars 2 official forums found here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/

The best way for the Development team to gather player feedback and suggestions is through the official forums. While they cannot respond to individual suggestions, team members continually review our public forums to determine the level of interest in certain ideas. This will also allow other players to comment and provide their own suggestions and help.

Thank you for your understanding and please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

GM Claude
Guild Wars 2 Support Team
http://help.guildwars2.com/

This is just so heartbreaking. I got it literally three days before the patch. I would've waited instead of breaking dozens of ascendeds for it, and the sheer indifference with which they treated me is just mind-boggling...

Edit: -FAQ-

So people are saying it's 75g+2500 research notes... Well I don't care about 75g! Take it! I want the convenience of having the notes, not the useless gold that I'll have to put in another 1-2 hours to transform to notes at maybe1-2g discount. It's not time effective, it's not fun, it's just a pain!

You can spend an hour crafting every day and make a good profit, because crafting is boring and people are willing to pay for the convenience. Well, I am more than willing to pay for the convenience of those 7500 research notes! Just take the gold and give me the notes, that's a fair trade, yes ? So why are they not letting me make the trade ?

Edited by Lucifer.8514
FAQ
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Lucifer.8514 said:

I asked the support team to give me back my 7.5k research notes. I think, it's only fair since they didn't communicate the change earlier and 7.5k is a lot of notes! That's dozens of ascendeds!

But instead of being understanding, they gave me a soulless, canned corporate response:

This is just so heartbreaking. I got it literally three days before the patch. I would've waited instead of breaking dozens of ascendeds for it, and the sheer indifference with which they treated me is just mind-boggling...

It is not it cost 75 gold and turns out that is more then what 7500 research notes cost to craft.

Edit

Just becasuse you desided to break ascended instead of cheaply crafted tonics/potions/festival food unsure what is the best atm since I just break down the useless festival food i gather.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

you do realise that its not 75% off? now you have to pay for these 7500 CN - 75gold. That nets you 1 CN=1 silver. Avg price of 1 CN atm is somewhat 80-90copper. so you actually got it cheaper than it is now.  Since you payed somewhat 80-90g for 10000CN, but now people have to pay 75g  + 20-22.5g = 95-97.5g

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'll pay the 75g extra, thank you very much. Give me the option to. Those notes are a pain to get and you all know it.

The crafting system is a pain and that's precisely why there are guides and websites to tell you how to make gold by crafting. Doesn't mean I wanna do it. Similarly, the research notes are a pain. I want my research notes, I don't want the gold.

Edited by Lucifer.8514
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Linken.6345 said:

It is not it cost 75 gold and turns out that is more then what 7500 research notes cost to craft.

Edit

Just becasuse you desided to break ascended instead of cheaply crafted tonics/potions/festival food unsure what is the best atm since I just break down the useless festival food i gather.

Can I ask which festival food you were breaking down? Only I had the same idea but my dragon bash food didn't allow it.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Draygo.9473 said:

Tough!

You got it for cheaper in the past, and going forward it only takes 2.5k. There is no way your entitled to any compensation here. Nor would I expect Anet to give you anything. 

You are forgetting to factor buying the items off the trading post, buying the research kits, salvaging 30 stacks and consuming stacks upon stacks of papers. It's menial busywork that isn't fun, isn't challenging, isn't rewarding. It's a chore.

It costs time, and that time is worth a lot more than the few gold I supposedly "saved" even if you don't want to factor in "fun".

I could get more gold fishing. I could get more gold doing meta events. I could get more gold doing literally anything else in the game. Why is it so difficult to empathize that I don't like my time being disrespected in this way?

I'd make the 75g->7,500 research notes trade not once but ten times if I could, and I bet everyone else would, too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6

3 minutes ago, Emberfoot.6847 said:

Can I ask which festival food you were breaking down? Only I had the same idea but my dragon bash food didn't allow it.

The halloween green utility effect items work. I know that much...

For others, I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Lucifer.8514 said:

You are forgetting to factor buying the items off the trading post, buying the research kits, salvaging 30 stacks and consuming stacks upon stacks of papers. It's menial busywork that isn't fun, isn't challenging, isn't rewarding. It's a chore.

It costs time, and that time is worth a lot more than the few gold I supposedly "saved" even if you don't want to factor in "fun".

I could get more gold fishing. I could get more gold doing meta events. I could get more gold doing literally anything else in the game. Why is it so difficult to empathize that I don't like my time being disrespected in this way?

I'd make the 75g->7,500 research notes trade not once but ten times if I could, and I bet everyone else would, too.

Yes, but you already invested it. And you got your reward. You are due nothing. Your basically a 0.1%er whining about pennies. 

Let me put it in a way you might understand.

When I crafted my legendary it cost about 500g more than it does now. Should Anet compensate me because material prices and precursor costs deflated? 

When they added an alternate way to get a precursor and the precursor cost dropped I suppose under your logic i'm due compensation?

Or no, I'm not due any compensation. I knew what I was getting into at the time and that there is always an inherit risk that the value or cost of something may change over time. 

If anet removes something from me than I think i have a just cause to ask for compensation for it. But in this case nothing was actually removed, its a buff to quality of life even if it is slightly more expensive, but for those that already paid the extra grind... no you are not due anything. 

Edited by Draygo.9473
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Draygo.9473 said:

Yes, but you already invested it. And you got your reward. You are due nothing. Your basically a 0.1%er whining about pennies. 

Let me put it in a way you might understand.

When I crafted my legendary it cost about 500g more than it does now. Should Anet compensate me because material prices and precursor costs deflated? 

When they added an alternate way to get a precursor and the precursor cost dropped I suppose under your logic i'm due compensation?

Or no, I'm not due any compensation. I knew what I was getting into at the time and that there is always an inherit risk that the value or cost of something may change over time. 

If anet removes something from me than I think i have a just cause to ask for compensation for it. But in this case nothing was actually removed, its a buff to quality of life even if it is slightly more expensive, but for those that already paid the extra grind... no you are not due anything. 

Thanks for calling me a whiner and implying I'm too dumb to understand that the prices of certain things fluctuate.

Unfortunately, not only do I understand your point but you missed mine completely (or chose to ignore it, but I don't want to assume malice even though you're being condescending).

The point is that the price of this item doesn't fluctuate at all. It is sold by the merchant for a fixed price with an infinite supply and regardless of demand. A fixed price which only ever changes if ANet alter it with a patch.

And I'll repeat my earlier point: the price isn't the gold. The price is the effort. I don't care if 7.5k notes cost 1g or 150g. It's irrelevant to my argument. I want a game, not a job, that's why I don't spend an hour a day crafting or flipping items on the trading post. I could, and I would turn a profit if I followed the internet guides for it, but it wouldn't be fun.

As for your comparison to precursor crafting: that was communicated months in advance. I made this thing three days before the patch - three days! Do you think I would've made it if they mentioned it a week in advance? Of course not!

This change is to me like putting up a new item on the store for 30$ and then suddenly setting it to 7.5$ and some gems without telling anyone, then when the people who bought it for the original 30$ and who have plenty of gems in the bank they'd have really liked to use instead of real money understandably get upset just shrugging them off and saying "too bad". Even if the gems cost as much as the difference (22.5$) they would still be justifiably upset.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

What is the value of any item in the game or life in general? It's the amount of time/effort/money/gold you are willing to use to obtain it.

If you were willing to accept the original cost, then it is irrelevant whether they changed the amount time/effort/money/gold to obtain it 3 days, 30 days, 300 days later. ANet does not owe you a price match guarantee.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

33 minutes ago, kokocabana.8153 said:

What is the value of any item in the game or life in general? It's the amount of time/effort/money/gold you are willing to use to obtain it.

If you were willing to accept the original cost, then it is irrelevant whether they changed the amount time/effort/money/gold to obtain it 3 days, 30 days, 300 days later. ANet does not owe you a price match guarantee.

While what you're saying is perfectly true, if ANet are going to play the dictator in a top-down economy by making drastic changes without warning (something they haven't done before to my knowledge) then they risk people losing confidence in their in-game economy.

There are often very good reasons why these things aren't done. In real life, a government could dictate the price of a certain item or impose some arbitrary new tax on specific trades tomorrow, but they generally avoid doing it because suddenly every business owner would eye them suspiciously thinking "are they going to dictate my prices next? Am I going to get hit by arbitrary taxes next?"

So I can tell you I am not going to make anything anytime soon. I don't even see the point in playing anymore; ANet has just effectively informed me that they've imposed a 75% tax on my ascendeds retroactively, and I don't get to cancel the deal. So what kind of confidence am I supposed to have in them to treat my time and effort with respect going forward? None. And what's to stop them from doing it again, or things similar to it? Nothing.

Edited by Lucifer.8514
  • Like 3
  • Confused 8

Absolutely not the first time items/costs/acquisitions have been changed; with or without prior notice.  Do be aware, you agreed to the ToS that specifically informs all players that ArenaNet/NCSoft may change anything in the game without notice, prior or otherwise, and have no obligation to offer refunds. 

(See Legal Documentation link below.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If the 7500 notes really were cheaper than 75g and they made it more expensive now ... it would be bad. Then they actually made it more expensive - though people complained about the cost. But my guess is that the notes might get cheaper - also affecting the remaining 2500 notes and other things you need notes for. Since now there is less demand - with the same supply. (For the items that get converted to notes.)

And yes: Stuff changes. And some things are a pain to get. But the support gave the correct answer. Happens to everyone sometimes. Imagine players that played at release when stuff was more expensive - that later got cheaper at the trading post. Or recipes getting changed. Or people buying something that goes on sale 1 day after they bougth it - this happens and people have to accept it. Otherwise ArenaNet would always have to offer the cheapest prices.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 1

This is the fate of early adoption.  It happens all the time with new computer equipment.  Folks pay way too much for the newest, buggy, electronic toy.  Then later down the road the thing gets cheaper, they always get cheaper.  
The only real advantages to being an early adopter is that it helps hype the item, and produces the demand necessary to create newer versions later on.  Oh and I suppose you get to enjoy the new thing while it is at it's most special novelty.

I usually wait until the shine wears off of a new product craze.  I admit I have missed out on a few limited time items in the past irl. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Lucifer.8514 said:

Edit: -FAQ-

So people are saying it's 75g+2500 research notes... Well I don't care about 75g! Take it! I want the convenience of having the notes, not the useless gold that I'll have to put in another 1-2 hours to transform to notes at maybe1-2g discount. It's not time effective, it's not fun, it's just a pain!

You can spend an hour crafting every day and make a good profit, because crafting is boring and people are willing to pay for the convenience. Well, I am more than willing to pay for the convenience of those 7500 research notes! Just take the gold and give me the notes, that's a fair trade, yes ? So why are they not letting me make the trade ?

What you are essentially asking.  Without meaning to do so.  Is that you are asking them to compensate every person for any change made to the game at any time.

You are not special.  Everyone deals with these things happening to them in GW2 with the way our economy is managed.  If you do not like it, the most simple answer is to stop playing GW2 and go somewhere else.  Because it will continue to happen and you will continue to be upset each and every time.

Edited by Ashadow.6874
  • Like 4

The thing where OPs complaint about Anets economy vs government changes falls down is that you can buy things from or trade things to other countries, heck even move there if you hate yours so much. Anet MADE the entire game, economy and all. While it would suck for some and be great for others, Anet could tomorrow literally mail everybody every single Aurene legendary "just because".  It is -their- game, we only paid for access to it. We can suggest things that would make it nicer or more playable or balanced or w/e, but in the end we are not entitled to it. 

In the end you literally only lost a bit of time, even if you had taken a solid day's play (somehow) to salvage everything required, a) that really isn't much in the MMO scheme of things, b) that also saved you money, c) they didn't force you to do it then, you could have just not made one if you weren't happy with it (I didn't bother, myself) and d) how in the name of all that is holy can they reimburse you TIME?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1