It shouldnt be possible in SPVP to target players on your own team, it's player abuse

Momchilo.8079

I seen people targeting teammates who are new at the game for performing bad. Please disable the ability to target friendly players in SPVP. It can really feel bad when you just start learning pvp and some trolls target you because you aren't performing as well.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Momchilo.8079 said:

I seen people targeting teammates who are new at the game for performing bad. Please disable the ability to target friendly players in SPVP. It can really feel bad when you just start learning pvp and some trolls target you because you aren't performing as well.

how do you propose I target my teammate if I want to encourage the rest of my team to revive them? Just because you experienced the function being used in a negative fashion doesn't mean it's a bad mechanic.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

You do realise targeting your allies serves the following (but not limited to) purposes

- Targeting a low teammate to kite to me because i have stealth ready for him

- Targeting a low teammate to kite to me because i have heals for him

- Targeting a teammate to attract his attention to a good +1 opportunity

- Targeting a teammate to cap the node instead of me or vice versa depending on who has the better node holding ability

- Targeting a teammate to take a portal

- Targeting an ele downstate to mistform to my smoke field which i will blast ; 

- Targeting a guardian with res signet who doesn't see an allied downstate ; 

I could go on. Don't suggest deleting useful functions of the game just because you play at an elo comprised of bad players who try to reflect their mistakes on their teammates in a juvenile way. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Excuse me? Did gw2 community fallen so low and has no self confidence that a mere "target mark" cause you to feel insecure? How do you operate in real life when a boss/client/collegue tells you that they are not happy with your work or smtn? 

Here is a free advice on how to deal with your problem: Just ignore it. Its a video game. Chill, relax and watch these "toxic abusive" people fly to Tatooine on the pure energy of their burning "part of their body". 

Edited by soulknight.9620
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

If getting targeted is too much, this probably isn't the game mode for you.

There are plenty of wonderful PvP players. I've ended up on teams where one experience player teaches the rest of the newbies the entire time and we went on to win. I've whispered back and forth "sorry I'm bad" "no problem I'm bad too" with teammates. Sometimes we even go on to win as well. I've countless games where people give sincere respect at the end of the match.

But it's an aggressive game mode, and sometimes brings out the worst in people. There's no amount of changes in the game that will fix that. People will dance on your dead body, say rude things in chat, target you, leave a 2v1 just so you can get taken out by the 1 enemy, commiserate with the other team about you... and trying to make all that impossible will just make the game mode worse.

If it's not the kind of level that would get them banned, laugh it off and move on. A good match is around the corner.

• Confused 1

> You die
> You give up
> I come to the rescue on my white horse in my shining armor
> I target your sorry kitten to tell you, very fast, "look sharp, I'm here to res you"
> You can use your downed skills in a clever way now, knowing you're about to get ressed

> I'm pressured AF and about to die
> Kiting for my life
> My dumb kitten is running across the whole arena like a headless chicken
> The support shows the patience of a saint, calls target on me
> "OH WAIT I HAVE A SUPPORT AND HE KNOWS MY STRUGGLE"
> Run towards my support
> My support can now heal me, and now we're ready for round 2

> I'm running around the map
> Teammate calls target on a very pressured enemy, very close to me
> He's in range and I can totally kill him with a single skill
> But I don't notice the target
> Target is outside of my FOV, I'm totally letting him run away for free
> The smart teammate calls target on me to wake me up, then again on the enemy
> "Wait what, why do I have a target on... OH ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"
> I secure the kill my teammate wanted all along, thanks to his smart usage of the targeting system

These are all things that happened to me, and it's the fastest way to coordinate with randoms. Sometimes you are the random, sometimes the random is someone else; just use the system properly and the random will become your buddy. 

Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

I've never, ever seen it used in pvp for anything other then to harass and bully others, and it should be removed. There is never an appropriate place to harass, or bully others.  If the game is aware that a mechanism is being used to harass/bully others, it should take action to stop it, because that makes it just as liable as the harassing player. I can't play with a target over my head, and I won't play with a target over my head.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

How would people know it's meant as bm, for example I use it only to get the attention of a player for x reason but 50% of the time said player get offended and take it as an insult. Usually in lower rated games, player get offended but almost never in higher rated ones, where players understand it's used to send a msg relevant to the match.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Classic Perception.2507 said:

You do realise targeting your allies serves the following (but not limited to) purposes

- Targeting a low teammate to kite to me because i have stealth ready for him

- Targeting a low teammate to kite to me because i have heals for him

- Targeting a teammate to attract his attention to a good +1 opportunity

- Targeting a teammate to cap the node instead of me or vice versa depending on who has the better node holding ability

- Targeting a teammate to take a portal

- Targeting an ele downstate to mistform to my smoke field which i will blast ; 

- Targeting a guardian with res signet who doesn't see an allied downstate ; 

I could go on. Don't suggest deleting useful functions of the game just because you play at an elo comprised of bad players who try to reflect their mistakes on their teammates in a juvenile way. 

There is literally a separate keybind that even recognizes what you could be expecting, why insist on marking target for everything and messing with Take Target keybind?

Alert Target is a keybind ability (default Shift+T) that plays a sound signal and an effect over the selected target's head that is visible to the target caller, as well as team or group members.

The effect varies depending on the state of the target: Alive Ally, Alive Enemy, Downed Ally, and Downed Enemy.

While in a group, the following messages will be displayed in the party channel of the chat panel:

• <Character Name> has targeted <Target Ally Name> for assistance. (if target is alive ally)
  • <Character Name> has targeted <Target Enemy Name> for attacking. (if target is alive enemy)
  • <Character Name> has targeted <Target Ally Name> for resurrection. (if target is downed or defeated ally)
  • <Character Name> has targeted <Target Enemy Name> for finishing. (if target is downed enemy)

19 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

These are all things that happened to me, and it's the fastest way to coordinate with randoms. Sometimes you are the random, sometimes the random is someone else; just use the system properly and the random will become your buddy. 

Once you know why you are being targeted yeah.

I also don't like it, but as others said: they will find another way, if they want to mock you/someone, to the point that we should remove any chat or emote, and just have 4 default messages, like in a Pokémon MOBA.

I remember being targeted in a DRM (cold war?) and I promptly said "Why me? What did I do? I'm one of the few that are not dying?". "Yeah, indeed, for this!"  After so many PvP matches, I always think that a target is a mark of shame, so I never use it on players, even if I want to highlight them for some other reason.

Anyway, the best thing is to don't change the target back to them: they will change it back and this will go on forever like a kids' game. Just keep it on yourself and ignore them. Don't even bother to say anything. Sad but efficient.

EDIT: with "you" I didn't mean you the OP, I know you were talking in general, about the behaviour.

Edited by Urud.4925

Guys, let's be reasonable now. Sure there is a myriad of way to target teammates that actually helps but... does it really matter? It annoyed the OP. I think that's the really important thing we should focus on. After all what good is a tool that can be misused?
I myself only have things which can be ONLY used properly and in no way are able to be repurposed to do anything else, let alone something malicious.

This is why my room is empty and the walls are padded. I'm safe in here.

• Haha 1