GW2 should finally add "inspect gear" ability to examine other players' cosmetics

6 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

It's needed.

It has never been necessary and it'll never be.

If you think you have to inspect other players, then that's on you. But that's not an issue with the game itself.

You can always just ask other players what they have equipped.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

It has never been necessary and it'll never be.

If you think you have to inspect other players, then that's on you. But that's not an issue with the game itself.

You can always just ask other players what they have equipped.

I'd prefer the convenient option over the inconvenient one. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Einsof.1457 said:

It's needed.

The game has functioned without it for an extended period. This is evidence, proof really, that it is not a need but rather a desire. Can you suggest any evidence or proof that it is a need rather than a desire?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The game has functioned without it for an extended period. This is evidence, proof really, that it is not a need but rather a desire. Can you suggest any evidence or proof that it is a need rather than a desire?

What would be an example of evidence that you would accept? Not sure what you mean. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

I don't think gear inspection is necessary or would even add anything useful. It is very useful in wow for example where you need a certain gear score to be even capable to perform at the required level. Here getting best gear is very easy.

I don't think gear inspects would become gate keepers for entering squads anyway. We have kill proofs and those are much better and stricter assessment if you want to gate keep potential liabilities in your squad.

If players started using gear inspects as the requirement to enter squad it would be actually easier for inexperienced players because getting best gear is easy. But they wouldn't because again, kill proofs.

Gear inspects would only become a toxic tool with bad players. Those that actually don't understand what is required to clear an encounter, don't understand the difference between exotic and ascended and don't understand builds. Players that look at some site, copy build and this is their holy grail and don't understand compromises that can be taken based on your play style, that builds are often fluid and sometimes have to be adapted for specific encounters.

I wouldn't mind inspects though. But I would be more interesting inspecting players that perform really well but run an unexpected setup.

Edited by Cuks.8241
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The fact that the game functions without it is objective proof that inspect is not a need. Do you have anything comparable to prove otherwise? 

Why should I have to prove anything? This is an argument of subjective opinion not facts and this goes for both sides. People like me don't want their time wasted. People like you want to troll people like me, come into my raids, and expect carries. We're just cut from different cloths. It's okay. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

Why should I have to prove anything? This is an argument of subjective opinion not facts and this goes for both sides. People like me don't want their time wasted. People like you want to troll people like me, come into my raids, and expect carries. We're just cut from different cloths. It's okay. 

I didnt say you had to prove anything. I asked if you could. Very different.

No, it isnt subjective on both sides. It is an objective fact that the game does NOT need an inspect feature. It is an inaccurate opinion that the game does need an inspect feature.

People like me? You mean a min/maxer who spends hundreds (or thousands) of hours developing and practicing builds, rotation, and content while also making sure that I have the best possible gear for my role?

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I didnt say you had to prove anything. I asked if you could. Very different.

No, it isnt subjective on both sides. It is an objective fact that the game does NOT need an inspect feature. It is an inaccurate opinion that the game does need an inspect feature.

People like me? You mean a min/maxer who spends hundreds (or thousands) of hours developing and practicing builds, rotation, and content while also making sure that I have the best possible gear for my role?

So why are you so afraid of being booted from groups if you're so godly?

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

So why are you so afraid of being booted from groups if you're so godly?

I didn't say I was afraid of being booted from groups. I also didn't claim to be godly.

Why do you want to use inspect to show that you have good gear to cover up for poor performance?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I didn't say I was afraid of being booted from groups. I also didn't claim to be godly.

Why do you want to use inspect to show that you have good gear to cover up for poor performance?

???? What are you talking about? You do realize people just hop into raid groups with level 74 yellows for carries, right? Why do you support that? You explain to me how that is fair to ANYONES time. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

???? What are you talking about? You do realize people just hop into raid groups with level 74 yellows for carries, right? Why do you support that? You explain to me how that is fair to ANYONES time. 

I have never expressed support for that. 

Why can you not support your position without misrepresenting the facts or others' positions? Strawman arguing is a solid indication that you know your position has no merit.

So, for the umpteenth time, do you have any evidence or proof that an inspect feature is necessary? Youve been provided proof that it is not, do you have even a single shred of evidence to counter that beyond avoidance and false statements?

Again, if X can exist, function, and fulfill its purpose without Y then Y is not needed (but may very well be highly desired).

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I have never expressed support for that. 

Why can you not support your position without misrepresenting the facts or others' positions? Strawman arguing is a solid indication that you know your position has no merit.

So, for the umpteenth time, do you have any evidence or proof that an inspect feature is necessary? Youve been provided proof that it is not, do you have even a single shred of evidence to counter that beyond avoidance and false statements?

I can't wrap my head around the idea that it would be bad for the game. It would only be bad for people who want to grief. Who else would it be bad for?

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

I can't wrap my head around the idea that it would be bad for the game. It would only be bad for people who want to grief. Who else would it be bad for?

The likelihood is that those genuine leeches do not outweigh the number of people who just want to play it and are obstructed by barriers like kp and questions over experience and what build/armour they use. That is bad for the game because without more people playing, without fresh players, instances will continue in the cycle of decline and stagnation in population.

GW2 is built on the fundamental principle of cooperation. Barriers are not something that work well in this game and never have been proven to be healthy for it.

I understand your concern and wanting to only play with a specific clique of players, but you are skewed by a view that everyone else must be a briefer or a leeches. That is not true. Many are just inexperienced and have no way of getting past that since the vast majority of players will not be aware of to find and get into training guilds.

If you can get past the concept everyone isn’t a leecher, then things will be clearer. If you can’t, then the back and forth might as well end as two opposing views which can’t be reconciled.

Ultimately it needs to be proven that it would improve the game and be healthy for Anet to add it. At the moment, I’m seeing very little arguments for it beyond blocking players for a belief everyone else must be the problem.

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Mazreal Blackknight.1564 said:

But not everything in the wardrobe is unlocked. Many pieces only show up once you own the item.

I've honestly never run into this, but even if I did, the wiki has a comprehensive list of those pieces and what they look like. Also, I should clarify that I'm talking about the wardrobe accessible through the bank/crafting stations and not the wardrobe feature in the hero panel (unsure if both of these systems have the hidden items you mention or just the hero panel, but I can check next time I log).

Again, if you don't want to interact with other people, the wardrobe and wiki are excellent resources and if you don't mind interacting with people, asking the person wearing the item or asking the community at large are also great ways to get a fashion answer in lieu of what the OP asked for.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/12/2022 at 3:33 PM, AgentMoore.9453 said:

Okay, so then you ask the community in Players Helping Players. Same principle. Failing that, there's also the wardrobe in the bank where you can preview everything and the wiki which also displays cosmetics and explains how to get them.

I think it'd be less time consuming to take 5 seconds to inspect someone, glance over their gear, then move on. I get, having inspect anxiety, but you won't know that someone inspected you. You won't feel a thing, I promise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, Gravitron.7982 said:

I think it'd be less time consuming to take 5 seconds to inspect someone, glance over their gear, then move on. I get, having inspect anxiety, but you won't know that someone inspected you. You won't feel a thing, I promise!

This thread is from July of last year, hello.

Inspect anxiety wasn't any part of the points I was making in 2022, rather the opposite; that it's simple to ask someone (or the community at large) about fashion or browse the wardrobe/wiki instead of requesting a feature from ArenaNet that might well be poorly implemented. Inherently, a skins-only inspect feature shouldn't hurt anything, but the many existing methods by which to determine what skins are being worn + ArenaNet's track record for monkey-pawing requested features are what lead me to conclude it might not be worth the development time.

• Haha 1