Ascended Salvage Tools & Kits Are Impractical Overpayment - Need Pricing Reduction

As someone who doesn't do fractals and just recently started making my first legendaries, the cost of ascended salvage kits is bewildering. I've now got useless ascended accessories and amulets from nine different characters. That was a decent amount of LW3 currency farming.

I just recently discovered that it will cost a significant amount of PvP or WvW currency for the off chance of getting something useful out of them. The very currencies I'm working on accumulating to continue to pursue legendaries.

It doesn't feel great.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

Seems your issue stems from you apparently thinking you should be able to get higher profit from an already highly profitable content. Meanwhile for all we know, it's meant as a specific resource acquisition method. Don't want/need those resources? Then might as well throw them out (or turn some of them into research notes). It's not like you're farming something specifically to get that ascended drop. This is just randomly popping up on top of the gold you're farming anyways.

• Confused 3

Hard to set a price to account bound mats like dark energy. Only rings are excluded here but in the long run I think those break even. Keep in mind you can also get rare collection items that go for a hefty price. 

Ascended salvaging is the only source of stabilizing matrices. So what happens when you reduce the price of kits. Price of matrices drop. You did absolutely nothing, just lowered the equilibrium price. If you want to make asc salvaging profitable you need to either substantialy decrease the acquisition rate of ascended or implement more sinks for matrices or add more sellable mats to the salvage table. 

• Confused 2

@Cyninja.2954 It's not an argument. It was me giving my opinion on what needs to happen here.

What I'm pointing out is that before they lowered the drop rates of free Asc Salv tools & kits, no one's bank was filling up with end-game trinkets that couldn't be exchanged, and Matrices were still worth 15s to 20s always. The game "Felt" better this way for every mentionable reason and it wasn't hurting anything.

@Wolfb.7025 The mention of Fractal God was just one point to be made. The bulk of my primary point is detailed in what I just said to Cyninja.

Nerfing drop rates on Asc Salv tools was unnecessary, helped nothing, and serves only to make end-game progress feel desynchronized in correlation to how unexchangeable end-game gear is found that ends up being throw away as garbage. It's a bad design man. Just put the drop rates of Asc Salv tools back to normal and/or lower the cost of Asc Kits so they are worth using. The only thing this is going to do is drop the value of Matrices from about 26s down to about 15s to 20s. This makes everything in the end-game's salvage rates vs. items stacking up, just feel smoother and better for every reason.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Nerfing drop rates on Asc Salv tools was unnecessary, helped nothing, and serves only to make end-game progress feel desynchronized in correlation to how unexchangeable end-game gear is found that ends up being throw away as garbage. It's a bad design man. Just put the drop rates of Asc Salv tools back to normal and/or lower the cost of Asc Kits so they are worth using. The only thing this is going to do is drop the value of Matrices from about 26s down to about 15s to 20s. This makes everything in the end-game's salvage rates vs. items stacking up, just feel smoother and better for every reason.

Are we sure ascended kit drop rate was nerfed? I went from 100 spare uses, to 0, back to 80, back to 0 all in the span of a few weeks back when going for fractal god.

Sure, if this was a confirmed change I'd say that reverting that change could make sense.

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Ascended salvaging is mostly pointless anyway besides the niche use of needing a glob of dark matter.

Salvage a torch and maybe get back a torch component. If I wanted a torch I wouldn't be salvaging it! =_=

Well, still not as bad as salvaging ascended armor. Even vendoring it is terrible.

5 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Hard to set a price to account bound mats like dark energy. Only rings are excluded here but in the long run I think those break even. Keep in mind you can also get rare collection items that go for a hefty price. 

Ascended salvaging is the only source of stabilizing matrices. So what happens when you reduce the price of kits. Price of matrices drop. You did absolutely nothing, just lowered the equilibrium price. If you want to make asc salvaging profitable you need to either substantialy decrease the acquisition rate of ascended or implement more sinks for matrices or add more sellable mats to the salvage table. 

They might drop some, at least at first as people who have hoarded unused ascended offload them, but I don't think it would drop as much as you might be thinking. Ascended would still not be something most players are getting as more than the occasionally very rare drop or special achievement reward. Most of the supply is gonna be coming from, what, instanced PvE players who regularly do fractals, strikes, and/or raids? Which I don't think is a very high percentage of players.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just got the leg amulet so had a bunch of asc amulets left over after swapping out plus some trinkets from Aurora. Since I'm now making Vision I needed a glob of dark matter and another 75 stabilising matrices. Rather than buy them I went salvaging.

I actually had a good run of salvages and got 10 matrices several times and quite a few globs. I more than broke even since I used the matrices  myself and didn't lose any TP fees by selling them. 

Would I salvage even if not making another legendary? Probably, since you may at least break even and have a chance at better drops. It would be nice if it was cheaper but the 1G isn't a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Forgot to mention. After replacing and salvaging the asc amulets I now have an excess of 20% magic find infusions because with the legendary I now only need 1 per character instead of the two I usually had (power and condi amulets per char)

Can anything be done with these or just delete?

3 hours ago, jamesg.7128 said:

Forgot to mention. After replacing and salvaging the asc amulets I now have an excess of 20% magic find infusions because with the legendary I now only need 1 per character instead of the two I usually had (power and condi amulets per char)

Can anything be done with these or just delete?

Nothing to do with them as far as I know.

• Confused 1

On 7/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, jamesg.7128 said:

I actually had a good run of salvages and got 10 matrices several times and quite a few globs. I more than broke even since I used the matrices  myself and didn't lose any TP fees by selling them. 

Yeah that's the thing though, when it's debatable "if you can break even" then what's the point of using those kits outside of obtaining a handful of achievements? Just seems like wasted content that could easily be converted into lucrative content that helps keep the game moving.

All they have to do is either drop the prices of those kits and/or put the drop rates of asc salv tools back to normal.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

Yeah that's the thing though, when it's debatable "if you can break even" then what's the point of using those kits outside of obtaining a handful of achievements? Just seems like wasted content that could easily be converted into lucrative content that helps keep the game moving.

All they have to do is either drop the prices of those kits and/or put the drop rates of asc salv tools back to normal.

This.

Players shouldnt be in the position to spend time and effort, however much or little, in the hope of breaking even. Imagine the outcry if doing an event had a 51% chance to drop a champ bag worth 5 gold and a 49% chance to remove 5 gold from the player's account.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

This.

Players shouldnt be in the position to spend time and effort, however much or little, in the hope of breaking even. Imagine the outcry if doing an event had a 51% chance to drop a champ bag worth 5 gold and a 49% chance to remove 5 gold from the player's account.

...but those same players should assume that the already profitable content should bring them more profit? Because in the end that's what it is, isn't it? Just asking to increase the profit of the content they're already farming for solid gph. Are they farming it specifically to drop and salvage ascended gear? I doubt it, seems like a byproduct to me. If it's not worth it for someone then just don't?

Be confused all you want OP, this thread is nothing else than "I have that random ascneded gear stored up from the content I farm for gold anyways and now I think I deserve to get more gold from it". 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2