Aging & GW2

3 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

But needless to say, the "older than 30 = old" needs to gtfo lol.

Yeah, Old is over 40.  Think about it, 35-40 is middle aged, assuming a lifespan of 70-80.  Anything beyond that is just gravy ha ha. 

At 58, I know I have far more days behind than before me... 😎

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:22 PM, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

Yeah, I was speaking about my personal experience and I was trying to write it in response to the comment about how lots of disabled people find community and a sense of achievement in games but I guess I didn't make that clear.  I was not intending or trying to minimize anyone else's difficulties. My apologies if it came across that way.

Thank you for clarifying. And I am sincerely happy that you have found an approach to the game that works for you. ❤️

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 7/31/2022 at 9:55 AM, Hesione.9412 said:

See, the thing is that, every time someone points out that something *open world* is a bit harder in this game because of ping, slightly older reflexes, disabilities we hear the same retort back in the forums: just don't do that content.

Lies and slender. The anti front is either in disbelieve or asks for you build. A monkey can do open world with a properly geared and traited revenant. You may not want to play a revenant, but you also are not a monkey. There should be builds for you class to compensate age or disability's.

I did skimm thought the threat and not single mention of equipment? A mouse with extra buttons increases reaction time by a mile. Especially when your are older the difference between pressing dodge on v and dodge on mouse button is enormous.

Player power is so absurdly high right now. People should just come up or ask for build to compensate instead of complaining.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Confused 5

10 minutes ago, Doggie.3184 said:

If you keep playing things that require reaction time your brain will degrade slower. It's exercise. 

Yes, but for those of us who are older, the brain exercises are just fine.  It's the muscles that actually have to move within a certain reaction time which is the issue.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Yeah, Old is over 40.  Think about it, 35-40 is middle aged, assuming a lifespan of 70-80.  Anything beyond that is just gravy ha ha. 

At 58, I know I have far more days behind than before me... 😎

I dunno about that. You don't even get any discounts til like 60 and they expect you to retire close to 70. And there's certainly no upper age limit to run for office!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Albi.7250 said:

Lies and slender. The anti front is either in disbelieve or asks for you build. A monkey can do open world with a properly geared and traited revenant. You may not want to play a revenant, but you also are not a monkey. There should be builds for you class to compensate age or disability's.

I did skimm thought the threat and not single mention of equipment? A mouse with extra buttons increases reaction time by a mile. Especially when your are older the difference between pressing dodge on v and dodge on mouse button is enormous.

Player power is so absurdly high right now. People should just come up or ask for build to compensate instead of complaining.

This has also happened in previous threads, telling people with disabilities what changes they should make to their set-up. Surprisingly, people use what equipment works for them.

And if anyone thinks that a mouse with extra buttons is good for someone with arthritis in their hands, for example, words escape me.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, Hesione.9412 said:

This has also happened in previous threads, telling people with disabilities what changes they should make to their set-up. Surprisingly, people use what equipment works for them.

A Ergonomic mouse can come with 2 extra buttons. If even slightly moving your thump is an impossibility I'm wondering how you are playing right now. The problem seems that people want the game to change around them, instead of adapting themselves.

What build are you running? What are possible buttons you can press? I refuse to believe open world is to hard with enough preparations. Even if you are one armed arthritis ridden old timer. Celestial Daredevil will probably kill most elites with 2 buttons (3 and dodge). Mechanist rifle is functional with the right click. If you cant work harder work smarter. Battle scar renegade will be fine auto attacking while leisurely pressing 2 and 3 from time to time.

Do you want a build recommendation?

What hurts more F1 or shift-1? Do you already have customs key binds or do you use the normal ones?

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

Now that I've read almost every post in this thread, and am mostly caught up, I'd like to weigh in. 

While there are many ways those with disabilities have to adapt to the world, there are some ways ArenaNet can, and does, implement to alleviate the situation.

In the past, I wrote incredibly detailed posts about the Mad King festival from the perspective a blind player.  I did not make any suggestions, I merely conveyed what I did, how I perceived it, and what I couldn't do.  A few things (that I'm aware of) came about ovwer the next few years that definitely helped me out a ton.  ArenaNet added audio feedback for checkpoints in races.  They added audio feedback to several champions in the labyrinth.  They reduced the area of Mad King says (that was confusing me as I would randomly die for no reason that I could identify).  These are seemingly tiny things that make a huge difference, and I have no idea how hard it was for ArenaNet to implement them.

The key is, just tell your story about how you play the game.  Rather than complain, let them know how you engage in their world, and let them take the notes.

Here's my second Mad King festival review post.  I can't find the first one.

Early threads:

Feedback on how I got the Wintersday achievement

PvP community shout out at how other players adapted to help me out in matches

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Now that I've read almost every post in this thread, and am mostly caught up, I'd like to weigh in. 

While there are many ways those with disabilities have to adapt to the world, there are some ways ArenaNet can, and does, implement to alleviate the situation.

In the past, I wrote incredibly detailed posts about the Mad King festival from the perspective a blind player.  I did not make any suggestions, I merely conveyed what I did, how I perceived it, and what I couldn't do.  A few things (that I'm aware of) came about ovwer the next few years that definitely helped me out a ton.  ArenaNet added audio feedback for checkpoints in races.  They added audio feedback to several champions in the labyrinth.  They reduced the area of Mad King says (that was confusing me as I would randomly die for no reason that I could identify).  These are seemingly tiny things that make a huge difference, and I have no idea how hard it was for ArenaNet to implement them.

The key is, just tell your story about how you play the game.  Rather than complain, let them know how you engage in their world, and let them take the notes.

Here's my second Mad King festival review post.  I can't find the first one.

Early threads:

Feedback on how I got the Wintersday achievement

PvP community shout out at how other players adapted to help me out in matches

In all the years i've never completed the mad king tower. its just too hard and maddeningly frustrating to do.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

In all the years i've never completed the mad king tower. its just too hard and maddeningly frustrating to do.

That Mad King Tower update was for both of us!  Before that God-send of an update, Mad King Tower was just a big nope.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Hesione.9412 said:

And if anyone thinks that a mouse with extra buttons is good for someone with arthritis in their hands, for example, words escape me.

I am older than dirt, and personally prefer my trackball with programmable buttons over the keyboard. Using the mouse is far easier on my hands and more comfortable for my wrists. The only keys I use are W, F, and Tab. Everything else is on the Huge trackball.   😎

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

That Mad King Tower update was for both of us!  Before that God-send of an update, Mad King Tower was just a big nope.

A big nope for me too!  I tried, and I will probably keep trying, but having the alternative now is fantastic.

PS I've been a lot more attentive to the sound cues that the game uses since reading your posts.  Thank you!

Edited by Kaliwenda.3428
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Kaliwenda.3428 said:

A big nope for me too!  I tried, and I will probably keep trying, but having the alternative now is fantastic.

PS I've been a lot more attentive to the sound cues that the game uses since reading your posts.  Thank you!

Awesome!  there's tons of audio feedback to go off of  that'll allow your eyes to focus on other things.  Also, for PvP and WvW, you'll notice that thieves have the loudest dodges and attacks in the game.  So easy to spot them, even when they are trying to stealth.  With a headset with surround sound, I can still (mostly) pinpoint where thieves are right before they go stealth.  After they stealth, it's easy to predict how they'll attack me (because I play thief a lot too).

8 hours ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I've never done that or the Wintersday one. In fact it is easier to go over the jumping puzzles I can do.

yep!  There's the.... yeah and the.... and let's not forget.....

is you're list similar?

😎  <--- to paraphrase Cory Hart, I wear my sunglasses I'm blind

JAWS reads alt text of images so I know what every emoji is  I know I used "smiling face with sunglasses."  I still wonder what "exploding head face" looks like.  Is there really a smiley that's exploding?

• Like 2

Happy birthday, for one.

Second, not sure how old you have become, but I'm almost 45 now and enjoying the fast-paced combat and only feel - if anything - that gaming and GW2 keeps my fingers and reactions nimble.

I'd rather Anet keep up the good work and rather remove / heavily nerf kittenous builds like AFK-esque mechanists that press 1 button and do top dps almost without moving 😛

edit: Actually enjoying it so much I have at last started an elementalist simply to try my hand at their complex rotations!

Edited by Dondarrion.2748
  • Confused 2