How does the "New Player Experience" Raptor changes affect Heroic Edition players?

38 minutes ago, Solitude.2097 said:

This + the core Strikes + some more "festival community-events" + creating solo-openWorld-bosses-random encounters-Bloodborn were the player +npc goes invisible and both are "tendered" to a pole (so they cannot escape) , will go a long way to make core game exciting.

More Bandit Executioners?  I'm game!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Dante.1508 said:

The Raptor is not an Amazing gift.. its literally the one mount you never use after you get them all.

Not really.  I use it all the time on flat land where the roller beetle doesn't make sense to use.

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 11
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, Solitude.2097 said:

If we present to them without the impoved leap , then the onwer of the trial account will simply try it and scoffed it off for being mislead  by the overzealous fans .

Or they will recognize that it is a limited trial and move forward from there. Steam players aren't all idiots.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Dalinar.9158 said:

no, Heroic Edition doesn't include expansions. but it is a full account with all content, character slots, daily login rewards, etc. so it's not a F2P account either. 

Edit: Heroic Edition has none of the F2P limitations except not having Expansions (and apparently getting the raptor trial).

mounts were a POF expac feature. I think you are confused by the wording and I don't blame you. 

What the devs should have said is that anyone without expacs can have the mount trial only and anyone with POF or EOD will be able to have permanent unlocks. 

In essence, no expac = no permanent mounts. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

I am curious to see how new players react to the mount system in this game. Having 8 mounts that essentially do the work of one "normal" mmorpg mount (exceptions aside of course).

What MMO besides this one gives you a racecar (roller beetle), a boat/jetski (Skiff/Skimmer), a vertical leap..... Literally just keybind the mounts and press the button when you need that skill.

Its great they provide versatile mounts that can do different things. Take for example Griffon vs. Skyscale some players love one more then the other. Some like the ease of use for the Skyscale, others like the aggressive speed of the Griffon. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ShroomOneUp.6913 said:

Other MMOs do not have the instant travel system gw2 has

5 hours ago, Reznov.5423 said:

are you sure about that? l play ffxiv and tried blade and soul, they both got instant travel system. 

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

SW:ToR does as well.

1 hour ago, mythical.6315 said:

ESO has fast travel as well. This makes me wonder if they even did any research prior to making that claim. 

There's actually quite a few other MMO's that have some sort of fast travel/instant travel system that is specifically designed to allow the player to traverse the game world much faster than walking/running/other forms of travel:

The Lord of the Rings Online
Dungeons & Dragons Online
Neverwinter Online
Star Trek Online
Rift
Trove

Probably a good few more that I don't recall, mainly because I no longer play as many MMO's as I used to! While each MMO has their own versions of a fast travel/instant travel system they all have the same thing in common and that's to allow the player to go from one location to another very quickly.

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 9:42 PM, kharmin.7683 said:

Does Heroic Edition include Path of Fire expansion?

No, it is a b2p (not f2p) core version. OPs question was from Anet specifying f2p and paid expansion versions, but forgetting to mention paid core ones that also exist.

Edit: as someone pointed out, it's also not clear what happens to all HoT-only versions. I do remember that PoF ones get HoT automatically, but i do not think it happens the other way around.

So, in general, Anet's wording was very confusing. They should have just said that everyone that does not have either PoF or EoD gets only trial.

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

It would have been simpler to say anyone without EoD or PoF gets the trial raptor.

I suspect there's not many active players whose main account is a heroic edition or even HoT-only and Anet didn't want to go through every variation, but the wording is confusing.

If anyone does have an account with HoT and not PoF or EoD and can test it for us that would be helpful, but I don't know if anyone does.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I think there may be quite a few accounts with Heroic Edition only, since those Serial Keys have been given out a lot lately as promotions.

That's why I specified players main accounts.

My second account is the Heroic Edition but it doesn't matter to me whether I get the permanent unlock or the free trial because I don't play that account enough to need the raptor (otherwise I'd have upgraded it) and I've already got it on my main account.

I suspect Anet knew the vast majority of Heroic Edition accounts are secondary accounts, inactive players or people unlikely to read the patch notes and so it's not worth taking the time and space to explain their situation directly. (Considering it's not been possible to buy one for a few years - except from resellers who are likely selling promo keys - some people at Anet might consider it effectively another form of free account.)

(Although I also think this is only the reason the patch notes omitted them. I think the reason they don't get the permanent unlock is simply that the raptor is still a paid expansion feature so even if the way it's unlocked has changed you still need to pay for it to get it.)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

That's why I specified players main accounts.

My second account is the Heroic Edition but it doesn't matter to me whether I get the permanent unlock or the free trial because I don't play that account enough to need the raptor (otherwise I'd have upgraded it) and I've already got it on my main account.

I suspect Anet knew the vast majority of Heroic Edition accounts are secondary accounts, inactive players or people unlikely to read the patch notes and so it's not worth taking the time and space to explain their situation directly. (Considering it's not been possible to buy one for a few years - except from resellers who are likely selling promo keys - some people at Anet might consider it effectively another form of free account.)

(Although I also think this is only the reason the patch notes omitted them. I think the reason they don't get the permanent unlock is simply that the raptor is still a paid expansion feature so even if the way it's unlocked has changed you still need to pay for it to get it.)

I don't know, could be, or could be those with Play4Free accounts (only) took advantage of the promotion(s).  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

Jackal is better.

I generally agree. I've gradually moved to using my Jackal as my default ground mount.

The one place Jackal isn't better is in some PoF zones where you need to clear canyons. At the end of two ports on Jackal you can have lost just enough height that you don't make the far side but one raptor leap would easily clear it.

Admittedly, that's a pretty tiny amount of the game world.

Oh, and one other situation. My daughter claims the Jackal's ports make it hard for her to keep track of me when she is following. 😄

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Well yes i'm not sure even why that one exists out side of obligatory "EoD needs a mount"

I suspect it's because Cantha had siege turtles in GW1 and I know a lot of players wanted their own even back then (that game didn't have mounts). It wouldn't surprise me if people at Anet had the same thought and as soon as they knew we were going back to Cantha they wanted to find a way to justify siege turtle mounts.

• Like 4

On 8/6/2022 at 7:57 AM, mythical.6315 said:

No it's not.  Raptor is better than jackal on flat land as it is faster.

No they are actually the same speed. the 4 teleports are the same as raptors leaps.

On 8/6/2022 at 1:59 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

I generally agree. I've gradually moved to using my Jackal as my default ground mount.

The one place Jackal isn't better is in some PoF zones where you need to clear canyons. At the end of two ports on Jackal you can have lost just enough height that you don't make the far side but one raptor leap would easily clear it.

Admittedly, that's a pretty tiny amount of the game world.

Oh, and one other situation. My daughter claims the Jackal's ports make it hard for her to keep track of me when she is following. 😄

True but they have a lot of the teleport mists sands things.. Jackal has issues with jumping up terrain if you time it wrong. the rest is far superior to Raptor..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

No they are actually the same speed. the 4 teleports are the same as raptors leaps.

No they are not. Raptor is faster when using mount ability. 

But if you got evidence to suggest otherwise, since you’re claiming Jackal is better as if it’s a fact, by all means share it. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4