People throw around the word "endgame" a lot. What is endgame?

End game:

-Achievements

Target Interesting and obscure long term collections, aim for top number in guild/etc

- Legendary weapons/Armor.

-Build up multiple ascended/legendary gear sets/Get that perfect look you love to show off.

- Crafting

-Exploring builds 

- Open World roaming and completion/Meta gameplay to build wealth and tokens toward whatever long term goal you have.

- fractals/Dungeons/Strikes/Raids

- Completing maps.

- WVW

- Roaming, Group Play, Defending, Achieves/Levels

Getting rich.  Getting poor again buying stuff and converting to gems to buy more stuff.

- sPVP

- get good, play with builds, get high rank.

-Get all mounts

- Get a dmg meter and focus on minmaxing 

- Follow all storylines

-Wander/Roleplay/Guild house/ help others/Lead others in open map.

- ALTS

All are relevant and long term, I.e an expansion wont make content X redundant so you get to take your time or even have breaks from the game.

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

10 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

End game:

-Achievements

Target Interesting and obscure long term collections, aim for top number in guild/etc

- Legendary weapons/Armor.

-Build up multiple ascended/legendary gear sets/Get that perfect look you love to show off.

- Crafting

-Exploring builds 

- Open World roaming and completion/Meta gameplay to build wealth and tokens toward whatever long term goal you have.

- fractals/Dungeons/Strikes/Raids

- Completing maps.

- WVW

- Roaming, Group Play, Defending, Achieves/Levels

Getting rich.  Getting poor again buying stuff and converting to gems to buy more stuff.

- sPVP

- get good, play with builds, get high rank.

-Get all mounts

- Get a dmg meter and focus on minmaxing 

- Follow all storylines

-Wander/Roleplay/Guild house/ help others/Lead others in open map.

- ALTS

All are relevant and long term, I.e an expansion wont make content X redundant so you get to take your time or even have breaks from the game.

So...the whole game is endgame. That's what I thought. So why do people say "the endgame" instead of just "the game?" 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I don't really like the term end-game, because my thinking is the end of the game is when you've run out of things to do, if there's still stuff you haven't finished or want to complete then the game isn't done.

But in general it means what you do after getting to level 80 (and possibly after finishing the main story). Some people use it to mean things which are only available at level 80, like Fractals and raids, or the main things they assume the majority of people do, but it can mean everything available at that point, which in GW2 is pretty much the entire game.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

its historical and more obvious in other games.  Take WOW, the primary gameplay is getting more powerful every day, its known as a raiding end game game.   It has other content types at max level, but they are treated as a second class citizens, so often debated and argued about.  In GW2 the game is designed around making everything viable.  

Edited by vesica tempestas.1563
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

yet gw2 players still use the term "endgame" to refer to...something?

I think it's just habit from other games. Like people calling professions classes or saying transmog instead of transmutation. I think it's harder to break that habit when the game doesn't have it's own equivalent term.

For an old school example there's dungeons: the majority of them, not just in GW2 but in most modern games are not actual dungeons. They're temples or or fortresses or caves or woodlands or whatever. But they all get called dungeons because they were inspired by dungeon-crawlers where you were going through a literal dungeon. (Either breaking out or going in to get someone or something.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, vesica tempestas.1563 said:

its historical and more obvious in other games.  Take WOW, the primary gameplay is getting more powerful every day, its known as a raiding end game game.   It has other content types at max level, but they are treated as a second class citizens, so often debated and argued about.  In GW2 the game is designed around making everything viable.  

Correct..the endgame of WoW is the content that at max level you use to obtain the better gear and mounts.  GW2 has armor and weapons available by multiple avenues, not just pvp or raiding for ascended.  Also where certain mounts or other rewards are only available.

GW2 has a very open ended "end game", and I agree it's not the best term.  It's easier than constantly saying "the content you participate in after you hit 80" though.  So to each player it's something different. 

For me, story completion, open world bosses and events for higher level, map exploration, crafting (legendaries specifically), dungeons and fractals, collecting, finishing achievements and personal story, and going down rabbit holes are all end game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Personally, I think the bigger question is "What is early/mid game?"

This is mostly my view of those:

Early game:
-First character getting to level 80.
-Learning the basics and trying to learn classes and adapting a build that sounds fun.
-Most likely not even taking the game serious and might roleplay from the get go.

-Is not aware of how useful the TP is or hasn't bought an expansion to be able to use it.
-Probably tried to 100% central Tyria on foot at least once.

-Feels actually emotional for the story telling and how immersive it feels the first time.

Mid game:
-Making more characters of various races and paths to level 80.

-Managing to try at least one of each class in order to figure out how people work, especially in PvP/WvW.
-Sometimes will try and go for easier paths in story so you don't take 5x longer to finish it.

-Able better to help others in guiding them around the map, often because you met them on the way.

-When trying to do HP runs in maps like HoT's, you often find people willing to lend you aid in defeating some of them.

-Probably first timing the expansion stories or at least redoing them once or twice for same reason as first one.

-At least half the bank is full of hoarded stuff that can be useful later.

-Is attempting to finish some achievements for the sake of so or for the convenience of the permanent rewards.

So anything not within these lines or improved from there is probably end game.

• Like 2

Wikipedia:

The gameplay available in mostly massively multiplayer online role-playing games for characters that have completed/nearly completed their level progression.

As leveling to 80 is relatively easy in Guild Wars 2, most content in GW2 is endgame content. Including but not limited to: Crafting, trading, WvW, sPvP, raids/strikes, level 80 meta events, fashion wars, achievement hunting, etc. etc.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It depends on what you want really.

The end game is to play content you enjoy, or farm flashy things. Which isn't appealing to 90% of MMO players because they're addicted to illusory power gains. I fall prey to this too, but resets are a rude awakening that usually send me back here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

define this concept

Endgame in MMos is the gameplay loop after you "finished" the game. Mostly repeatable content, but it could refer to long portion of the game.

In case of an mmo finished could mean max level. It could also mean after finishing the story. Or some other arbitrary point. I let someone else define that.

Examples:

Raids are Endgame content. Repeatable gameplay loop. Same case with PvP and WvW.

Getting mounts isn't really endgame content as you do that once. People could argue getting skyscale is endgame content thanks to its lengths.

Doing A achievement isn't endgame content. Doing AchievementS is endgame content.

The term is rather vague in MMOs. MMO endgame is what you would call Postgame in single player Games. Think catching all Pokémon after beating the Game, 100% GTA or fighting optional side bosses in a generic RPG of your choosing.

Edited by Albi.7250
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To me it's just everything you do after you've played through all or most of the content. It's what makes you log in after you've seen it all. I also often hear it defined as the content you do after you've become max level, but I feel with Guild Wars, that's kind of where all the worthwhile content becomes available and it would't make sense to call it endgame if that's the majority of your content.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Albi.7250 said:

Endgame in MMos is the gameplay loop after you "finished" the game. Mostly repeatable content, but it could refer to long portion of the game.

In case of an mmo finished could mean max level. It could also mean after finishing the story. Or some other arbitrary point. I let someone else define that.

Examples:

Raids are Endgame content. Repeatable gameplay loop. Same case with PvP and WvW.

Getting mounts isn't really endgame content as you do that once. People could argue getting skyscale is endgame content thanks to its lengths.

Doing A achievement isn't endgame content. Doing AchievementS is endgame content.

The term is rather vague in MMOs. MMO endgame is what you would call Postgame in single player Games. Think catching all Pokémon after beating the Game, 100% GTA or fighting optional side bosses in a generic RPG of your choosing.

Thanks. So, repeatable content is endgame. So open world meta events can be considered endgame?

• Like 1

Just now, TheSeraphim.7413 said:

Ones that reward endgame materials or currencies sure.

You need basic materials for many legendaries, no? Or you can buy them with gold. So...in that case wouldn't any content that you can get gold from be considered "endgame" ? Just trying to understand. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Like 1