WvW Tank Class/Spec

Puff.2138

Hi all, I'm looking to get into WvW and I would like to play a tank class that can be on the front line and soak up the damage.  What classes are the the best tanks for zerg/gvg content?  I prefer melee classes over ranged.  Thanks for your input!!!

30 minutes ago, ens.9854 said:

Don't listen to them they just want your boons. Firebrand and Scrapper are only S tier tanks in wvw.

SSS+ tier tank: Minstrel acrobatic daredevil (teef)

To be fair they asked for a front line able to soak damage.....

Take the daredevil if you want the class clown that acrobatics their way through zergs and does nothing else...

🤭

6 hours ago, Puff.2138 said:

Hi all, I'm looking to get into WvW and I would like to play a tank class that can be on the front line and soak up the damage.  What classes are the the best tanks for zerg/gvg content?  I prefer melee classes over ranged.  Thanks for your input!!!

Someone over in the Elementalist forums has shared a video of him playing FrontlineAurashare, might want to check that out, maybe thats what your looking for. Its pretty tanky, its meele, its meant to be in the Frontline, and it provides nice sustain and cleanse for your group. You have a trait in Water that grants any aura that you apply to yourself, to your groupmembers around you aswell. You can give your Teammates alot of magneticauras and make your group near invulnerable to Ranged attacks. I would personally play it with Dagger / Focus , but he is having success with Dagger/warhorn.

Edited by Sahne.6950

6 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

+1 for this build.

Been avoiding wvw since the staff weaver nerfs and this build has rekindled my love for the mode.

It's very satisfying to time everything well and be an unkillable machine slapping a whole zero and disengaging alive.

Sword/warhorn instead of GS works very well with mobility and condi cleanse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, larocca.8391 said:

+1 for this build.

Been avoiding wvw since the staff weaver nerfs and this build has rekindled my love for the mode.

It's very satisfying to time everything well and be an unkillable machine slapping a whole zero and disengaging alive.

Sword/warhorn instead of GS works very well with mobility and condi cleanse.

I took that build, went to a fire shrine on DBL and promptly died to mobs. There is something wrong with me.

• Confused 2

if you just want to purely be annoying boon strip tank heal scourge is quite good i've encountered many a stalemate where i can't kill them but they can't kill me so it's just a game of how long til they get bored and leave. once again not the greatest (or can even kill for that matter) but kitten is it funny to watch people try to 1v1 or sometimes even 2v1 or 3v1 you.

That warrior build has been around for a while, not particularly effective against boon blobs that have stability on 100% of the time in combat unless in your own boon blob, but ok in regular zerg fights which is what vallun was doing mostly, you're also dealing with the 300s traits.

In any case every class has a "tank" spec you can use since there's stat combinations available for everything, and every class has defensive/support trait lines to use. You just need to make sure to have stability in the group for front lining.

Edited by Xenesis.6389

Dragon Hunter is what I play with for tanking in WvW. Not best, but fun as heck.

looking back on the past. 

Vanilla Warrior Juggernaut build was fun tank in WvW back in the day.

Same for Reaper Necro back then.

My Core Revenant was kind of a Paladin before the CC nerf patch and the gutted Staff 5. 

Edited by Knighthonor.4061

On 8/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, Puff.2138 said:

Spell Breaker. You are unkillable for the most part and remove boons like a boss.