About Steam

18 hours ago, Yellow Rainbow.6142 said:

I play on steam. I have over 200 games in my library. And, I also play gw2 couple of times a week. I find it weird that people think steam players are from different planet.

Some people just have that weird inner need to create the "we vs them" scenarios, to the point where they try to do it based on a game store/hub/launcher they're using 🤦‍♂️ 

Yes, it is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3

9 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I have bad news for you: the kind of players you're worried about are already playing GW2 and have been since it came out. It was originally advertised as an MMO for people who don't like MMOs, especially casual players who don't want to deal with gear grinds and vertical progression. 

In the past week I've played several different games, ranging from a free-to-play mobile game to a slow, methodical strategy game, as well as GW2, and another MMO. 

Whatever harm you think is going to come from attracting players who do not commit soley and indefinitely to one game has been happening since day 1 and has been actively encouraged by Anet making a game intended to appeal to casual players.

On a related note "Steam players" are not some unique group that exist in isolation and never play games outside of Steam or have any contact with other gamers. This has been a weird trend on this forum recently, not just in this topic and (as someone who rarely uses Steam) I find it very weird. People who use Steam are gamers, the same as anyone else who plays games in any format, and the games on Steam are the same or similar as games available elsewhere, GW2 won't even be the first MMO on there. 

It was advertised that if you don't like MMOs then you will want to give GW2 a try and that if you do like MMOs you will definitely want to try gw2. It was not specifically advertised as casual, just as respecting player time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't really know what Steam is like, since I use it for just a few games that I've not played in a while (or ever - still need to play Guild Wars 1!). I'm not familiar with it, nor with people who use it more often/exclusively. Not sure if it's any different or worse or better than anything else.

I just hope that, as with any influx of new players, we'll get some people who are willing to learn the ropes and have fun while doing so. I also hope that the veterans of this game can take the time to explain things and help new people who need it.

...and I hope that we don't get too many silly complaints, as has been known to happen on these forums: "I bought the game an hour ago, used a level 80 boost and hopped straight into Verdant Brink, it's too harrrrrddddddd!!1!" or "what do you mean I have to wait four whole days after I bought the game before I can buy raid-level gear on the trading post!!?!?1!?!?! Combating gold sellers? What? IT'S NOT FAAAIIIRRRR" 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

So we're gatekeeping the Steam release now?

Anyone who comes to GW2 via the Steam release is some kind of lesser player?

Pretty welcoming there guys. Will be awesome for player retention.

More Players = Better. If Steam brings more players, then the game gets more money, the game gets more money, we get more content.

I don't see the issue.

Edited by JayMadIV.8721
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

OP, the fact that you even made this thead is pretty toxic. You seem to have a bias against steam gamers, stating they are abrasive, more likely to cheat, and that they will be "casuals" compared to "loyal" gamers like yourself. In the very same post, you stated you only have a few steam games and that you do not know the steam community that well.

You also classify the 4 reworked world boss as "overpowered" when they still have a 100% clear rate with any group of players. This tells me you are actually a very "casual" gamer.

From my perspective, your entire post is aimed at gate keeping the game from newer players because you are afraid these new players will influence Anet. You are afraid these newer fresh players will increase the game's difficulty. Only "loyal" older gamers like yourself should get Anet's attention. That is the feeling that I get when I read your opening post, and it is an unwelcoming toxic feeling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

From what i can see, skimming through the steam threads. Most of the threads so far are about people curious about the game on steam.

People hate the idea of living world being paywalled, people are asking for how much of a experience they can enjoy f2p. People mentioned that pof can let you enjoy a lot of the game for 15$, but the expansions and story focused LS might set you back like 85$ are understandably put off. The story seems like a horrible thing to monetize and people are getting sticker shock making even some people warn against EVEN trying it for free for lvl 1-30 or 1-80. 

People are complaining that certain branches of content was tried and neglected, such as dungeons, WvW, and pvp.

People are asking if the game is P2w, with people saying "oh, you can only just exchange real life currency into legendary armor that can become any stat in the game, it's not pay to win!"

Players are discussing new world, Elder scrolls online, as well as Black desert online next to Gw2, so it'll probably be compared next to it's other mmorpg peers, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Fair point.

I play a load of other games too.

It's funny though, that this has been the focus of most people since the beggining of the thread, when I raised two more important concerns,  which I even sort of bullet pointed them out.

In all the things that I wrote,  I particularly highlighted Cheats, and the community attitude towards one another; yet, somehow, how much, or how many hours steam players will play the game became the main focus of the topic.

I am truly still amazed, how this works; even after using forums since 2005.

It seems quite hypocritical that you as a steam player yourself assume steam players cheat more then other pc players in general. Are there any statistics showing steam players are more likely to cheat? Or is it assumptions like when ppl say pc gamers cheat more then console players when in fact console players cheat more based on surveys? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I was playing NW trough Steam but once log in the game is the same, retail or steam. If they make changes to the game because of Steam release we will have access to them. On the other hand Anet is looking for new players and Steam is where some of them are. True, I know MMORPGs who looked at Steam like some kind of relaunch  and failed or like last cash cow before closing but GW2 doesn't look like any of these. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DexterousGecko.6328 said:

Can you elaborate what you mean by "bad" and "tons of bloat"?

Music player, that fails most of the time, web browser using engine that is close to 5 years old now, launchers inside the launcher that is steam. Games that run on other platforms (origin, GoG, etcc) runs better than through steam and software itself uses less resources than Steam. Only thing steam is good at - having huge library

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Music player, that fails most of the time, web browser using engine that is close to 5 years old now, launchers inside the launcher that is steam. Games that run on other platforms (origin, GoG, etcc) runs better than through steam and software itself uses less resources than Steam. Only thing steam is good at - having huge library

"The only thing McDonald's is good at is serving fast food!"

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

It seems quite hypocritical that you as a steam player yourself assume steam players cheat more then other pc players in general. Are there any statistics showing steam players are more likely to cheat? Or is it assumptions like when ppl say pc gamers cheat more then console players when in fact console players cheat more based on surveys? 

It's a known fact.

I even gave some examples of games they cheat on.

Unless you are calling me a liar, I suggest you do your own research before you make this sort of reply.

Unless you do not want to a knowledge it for some reason.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It's a known fact.

Unless you are calling me a liar, I suggest you do your own research before you make this sort of reply.

Known fact? I did research it and found no statistics to base this “fact”.  Seems fishy to me. I don’t think you’re lying. I believe you think this is the case. But facts are proven. And when you claim something to be a fact you should have something to back it up. I assume you don’t since this is your reaction to my question? 

Edited by Freya.9075
  • Like 9
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Freya.9075 said:

Known fact? I did research it and found no statistics to base this “fact”.  Seems fishy to me. I don’t think you’re lying. I believe you think this is the case. But facts are proven. And when you claim something to be a fact you should have something to back it up. I assume you don’t since this is your reaction to my question? 

Cheaters aren't going to show stats anywhere or make it obvious.

But if you insist, just play those games I've mentioned, get used to the game mechanics, and then notice the discrepancies in the patterns.

Easier games to spot them are in modern war games.

Especially Aimbot and Shoot through walls.

Oh you'll see plenty. Believe me.

Also search on youtube videos.

As I said though. It's just a concern.

It doesn't mean they might do it in gw2.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It's a known fact.

Some gamers cheat. Steam is a store that has something like 75% of the PC market so naturally a lot of these cheaters also happen to use Steam. They are not cheating because they're on Steam, they're cheating and they just happen to be on Steam.

It's worth noting that some GW2 players also cheat now when the game is not on Steam. There are cheats and bots all over PvP and WvW. 

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 2

Just now, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Cheaters are going to show stats anywhere or make it obvious.

But if you insist, just play those games I've mentioned, get used to the game mechanics, and then notice the discrepancies in the patterns.

Easier games to spot them are in modern war games.

Especially Aimbot and Shoot through walls.

Oh you'll see plenty. Believe me.

Also search on youtube videos.

As I said though. It's just a concern.

It doesn't mean they might do it in gw2.

Believe me won’t really prove facts. It may be so that these games have plenty of cheaters and hackers. Most games have them. But my point is that this goes for any game no matter the platform.

If you look at games that have most cheaters, you will not find mmos like wow, final fantasy, gw2 or others. hackers and cheaters usually go for shooter games and competitive games. Gw2 is not in that genre unless you look at pvp. But pvp is not the main part of this game so cheaters will not be drawn to it. 

i understand your concern but we won’t have more cheaters just cause they open the game for steam users. Gamers are gamers no matter the platform. And cheaters are cheaters no matter the platform. There is no reason to assume steam have more cheaters since no statistics backs this claim up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Freya.9075 said:

Believe me won’t really prove facts. It may be so that these games have plenty of cheaters and hackers. Most games have them. But my point is that this goes for any game no matter the platform.

If you look at games that have most cheaters, you will not find mmos like wow, final fantasy, gw2 or others. hackers and cheaters usually go for shooter games and competitive games. Gw2 is not in that genre unless you look at pvp. But pvp is not the main part of this game so cheaters will not be drawn to it. 

i understand your concern but we won’t have more cheaters just cause they open the game for steam users. Gamers are gamers no matter the platform. And cheaters are cheaters no matter the platform. There is no reason to assume steam have more cheaters since no statistics backs this claim up.

Say whay you want.

I had to quit games in the past over the massive amounr of cheaters that poured in after they have joined other platforms or created new servers in certain countries.

I do NOT want that in GW2.

I have invested way to much time and my real money in this game, so some casuals can come in with cheats and spoil mine, and other dedicated players fun.

No. I don't want it.

I have been a loyal GW2 player and GW1 vet for so many years... I do not want to see this game and company ruined by a community that is unmonitored and spoil the fun for everyone else that plays by the book.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

1 minute ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

Say whay you want.

I had to quit games in the past over the massive amounr of cheaters that poured in after they have joined other platforms or created new servers in certain countries.

I do NOT want that in GW2.

I have invested way to much time and my real money in this game, so some casuals can come in with cheats and spoil mine, and other dedicated players fun.

No. I don't want it.

I have been a loyal GW2 player and GW1 vet for so many years... I do not want to see this game and company ruined by a community that is unmonitored and spoil the fun for everyone else that plays by the book.

You’re selling the skin before the bear is killed. There are no signs that points to gw2 getting broken or ruined by hackers when it releases on steam. Look at the good side of it. It may make the game more populated and known. Or not. We will have to wait and see. 

i don’t want the game to be ruined either, but I tend to look at things in a positive manner until bad things happens. That is a good way to go about things so you don’t work yourself up over issues that doesn’t need to be a worry. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

Steam players will do the usual, log in for five minutes, hop onto another game for five minutes, watch a video or ten, scroll, scroll, scroll, play for a few more when their friends log in, and then log off after doing this for two, four, ten hours a day.  

If it brings new players, great.  Hopefully some stick around, spend some money, and they don't alter the game to suit flakey consumers more than necessary.  Bundling some living world seasons, great.  Cleaning up the starting experience, great.  Moving away from what makes it a lovely game, like beautiful open world experience and a friendly community, let's hope not. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Steam players are no different than any other gamers, it's just a convenient DRM service with a store and forums and such. Any modifications Anet is making is to (attempt to) improve the game in general because Steam launch puts them in a spot where they'll get a lot of public reviews so of course they'd want it to have a positive score. All Steam does is advertise the game and allow it to be launched from it and some perks here and there like storing/sharing pics, earning points/achievements/cards/etc. It's not like some crazy cult of people that believes totally differently than the rest of the world about games (as long as they're not Epic Exclusives) and it's certainly not somekinda hack engine.

GTAV was actually worse on their solo launcher just cause of how poor of quality it was and it would be hacked regardless because that's Rockstar's problem. GW2 isn't going to have a "Steam Workshop" for mods because most MMOs don't. 

Also catering to a different audience.... They been doing that since the first xpan when they added Raids and a Holy Trinity. This game isn't even anything like GW1 and they try their best to make sure of that.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1