Whelp, the Tenth Anniversary/Birthday Gift is here.

22 minutes ago, arafel.9801 said:

The infusion from two years ago and last year cake are useful for all players.

This year gifts have probably no interest for the majority of 10 year players, really 5k karma as a gift  ?  

I do use the cake, when I dont have better with me at that time. Its a nice fall back, but not a first choice.

The infusion has been sitting in my bank since we got them. Probably will never be used.

Four new weapon skins are top notch for me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Ashen.2907 said:

The infusion has been sitting in my bank since we got them. Probably will never be used.

Same. It’s like that gift your sweet parents give you that doesn’t fit your style at all. You appreciate the thought, and keep it stored for years because of it.

I just can’t seem to fit fireworks to any of my character concepts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Same. It’s like that gift your sweet parents give you that doesn’t fit your style at all. You appreciate the thought, and keep it stored for years because of it.

I just can’t seem to fit fireworks to any of my character concepts.

Exactly.

It was a nice gesture and I am glad that some people use it, but It doesnt really work for any of my characters. Who knows, perhaps some day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

How is promoting longevity and veterans at the same time a bad thing?

(....)

The best part about coming back after six years was I could stay permanently under the birthday booster buff. 

"promoting longevity and veterans!" -> "I came back after six years".

Well, that's one of the reasons I agree with the post you quoted. You didn't even stick around for 10 years (which is k), but still feel entitled to "better birthday rewards" because... you've created a character 10 years ago and simply didn't delete it. Skins are perfectly reasonable for those annual gifts. Want more? Play the game and get the rewards from gameplay 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Absolutely, the birthday gifts should be nice small things, no legendary or anything like that. Some have unrealistic expectations 

OK but after 10 years of playing 1 character, the gift should be decent enough - at least for the 1st character to hit 10 years, the others could get a lesser gift.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

OK but after 10 years of playing 1 character, the gift should be decent enough - at least for the 1st character to hit 10 years, the others could get a lesser gift.

What makes the gift you got not decent enough? What should they add to it that is decent for everyone? All players have different taste and opinions so it should be versatile.

What other games gives more then some small items and consumables on the character or accounts birthdays? Do you not see it’s a bit entitled to expect this amazing gift from a game that already gives you a lot of entertainment? Im assuming you feel it does since you stayed 10 years. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, IsabelDawn.8950 said:

Unpopular opinion: Birthday gifts shouldnt be too epic. Wouldnt want newer players to feel disadvantaged simply for not playing as long.

I do disagree with this. Birthday and anniversary gifts should be exciting, but they should offer exciting aesthetic rewards (weapon skins, glider skins, mount skins, infusions etc). Free legendary weapon would be a bit silly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Gorem.8104 said:

How is promoting longevity and veterans at the same time a bad thing? Feel disadvantaged because they have something to look forward to that they are guaranteed to get if they stick around for long enough? You comment makes no sense. Everyone can get this, just need to stick around or make a character and come back to mass rewards should you ever quit. 

The best part about coming back after six years was I could stay permanently under the birthday booster buff. 

an item that is timelocked unless a player spends 10 years in a game, which is already a staggering amount of time for hanging about one title, is bound to cause issues. I'd rather they commit their shinier, more impressive stuff for actual achievement that people can work toward by enjoying/playing/exploring the game in a certain way, rather than just having to have a character on a server thats 3,652 days old. 

What I -do- think they can do is give tokens to get otherwise obtainable loot very,very early, which they seem to have done with the Proof of Legend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Asum.4960 said:

It's 2 skin choices per year >10, not per character - so this weapon set will be the birthday gift for the next 7 years - then again the Luminous Set isn't complete yet for 2 more years either.

One thing to keep in mind though is that they added endlessly pickable Material Bags to these as selection (including the Dye pack), so this might be it in terms of Birthdays. 

Or people might not like the skins, so they have given them the option to have mats instead.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, BrotherBelial.3094 said:

Or people might not like the skins, so they have given them the option to have mats instead.

I doubt anyone would take a log-in reward crafting material bag worth a few silver over some exclusive skins that will take an 18 year old account to fully unlock, or that this being a valid alternative choice is Anet's intention with the addition. 

• Like 2

The current birthday system doesn't reward loyalty, it simply rewards creating your character at a certain date. Loyalty is rewarded ingame in form of achievement rewards. I don't really care about the skins. I just hope that the dyes will lose their exclusivity one day. I'd really like to have Bubblegum since there really aren't any decent pink dyes apart from Electro Pink (which looks kinda washed out), but I really doubt that GW2 will survive another 5 years.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

The current birthday system doesn't reward loyalty, it simply rewards creating your character at a certain date. Loyalty is rewarded ingame in form of achievement rewards. I don't really care about the skins. I just hope that the dyes will lose their exclusivity one day. I'd really like to have Bubblegum since there really aren't any decent pink dyes apart from Electro Pink (which looks kinda washed out), but I really doubt that GW2 will survive another 5 years.

If ArenaNet keeps supporting it, it will survive no problem.

Some games endure for a very long time, they just fade out of public awareness eventually. Did you know Everquest is still in active development? Still gets new expansions and content updates and everything. There's even a 2022 road map up.

• Like 3

I absolutely love the decade weapon skins...and was surprised by that fact as many (perhaps even most) of the ornate skins ANet produces are too over the top for my taste. The character even holds the 1h sword (almost) correctly.

I can see the attention to detail that has gone into the decade armor set and appreciate it, but it just isnt to my taste.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you've been here for 10 years, you should get something exclusive, it's like a real life job since youre sinking your actual life time into this, you dont expect the new guy to get the same benefits as you, do you? or walking into a gym and feeling "disheartened" because the guy who is been lifting for 10 years is way hotter tahn you,  your rewards should be proportional to your effots

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

14 minutes ago, RadiantWolf.2058 said:

If ArenaNet keeps supporting it, it will survive no problem.

Some games endure for a very long time, they just fade out of public awareness eventually. Did you know Everquest is still in active development? Still gets new expansions and content updates and everything. There's even a 2022 road map up.

I don't know about that. ArenaNet is merely a subsidiary of NCSoft and NCSoft is a pretty putrid company. GW2 also doesn't make that much profit and there already have been some major layoffs. There is a reason why ArenaNet was forced to release GW2 on Steam.

6 minutes ago, Carlock.9834 said:

If you've been here for 10 years, you should get something exclusive, it's like a real life job since youre sinking your actual life time into this, you dont expect the new guy to get the same benefits as you, do you? or walking into a gym and feeling "disheartened" because the guy who is been lifting for 10 years is way hotter tahn you,  your rewards should be proportional to your effots

No. That's just entitlement. If you've been here for 10 years, you were able to experience all the content the game had to offer during these 10 years meaning being able to play now deprecated content with its associated Achievement Points.

It should already be telling enough that GW2 is absolutely alone with its form of birthday system.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Raizel.8175 said:

I don't know about that. ArenaNet is merely a subsidiary of NCSoft and NCSoft is a pretty putrid company. GW2 also doesn't make that much profit and there already have been some major layoffs. There is a reason why ArenaNet was forced to release GW2 on Steam.

No. That's just entitlement. If you've been here for 10 years, you were able to experience all the content the game had to offer during these 10 years meaning being able to play now deprecated content with its associated Achievement Points.

It should already be telling enough that GW2 is absolutely alone with its form of birthday system.

so I see the rewards proportional to effort flew by your head, same example as the job applies, when you retire, the boss tells you well, youve experienced all the company has to offer, so be thankful, meanwhile the new  guy gets the same benefits as you

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Steam release for MMOs is what makes sense. I think the only major MMORPG out right now that is not on steam is World of WarCraft which is on Blizzard's Battle.net.

On steam are (off the top of my head): Lost Ark, New World, Final Fantasy XIV, The Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, EVE Online, Runescape, EverQuest, Old School Runescape (OSRS)...

Guild Wars 2 has been the odd one out for ages (not including WoW).

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Carlock.9834 said:

It is a product you purchased, just like others who may have purchased it after you did. Someone who purchased the game years after you or I did may very well have played more hours or spent more money on the game than you or I have.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Carlock.9834 said:

so I see the rewards proportional to effort flew by your head, same example as the job applies, when you retire, the boss tells you well, youve experienced all the company has to offer, so be thankful, meanwhile the new  guy gets the same benefits as you

For "effort", you have achievement points. The date of creating your character has nothing to do with effort. In fact, there are people playing the game longer than me with less AP if you were to exclude daily AP.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ashen.2907 said:

It is a product you purchased, just like others who may have purchased it after you did. Someone who purchased the game years after you or I did may very well have played more hours or spent more money on the game than you or I have.

then you and I agree, if some bought it at a later date, he should have proportional rewards to his time invested, good someone agrees

• Like 2
  • Confused 4

1 minute ago, Raizel.8175 said:

For "effort", you have achievement points. The date of creating your character has nothing to do with effort. In fact, there are people playing the game longer than me with less AP if you were to exclude daily AP.

again, you agree with me, if in 10 years you have 2k AP, thats fine thats how much you decided/was able to invest in the game, some people farm them hardcore because they want the shiny armor or for the prestige, and some people take it chill, you hit the nail in the head, new players will feel disheartened if they dont get the full radiant armor set, backpack included in 1 week? should that armor not be tied to ap at all? so new players dont feel left out?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Carlock.9834 said:

then you and I agree, if some bought it at a later date, he should have proportional rewards to his time invested, good someone agrees

...but the effort has nothing to do with "creating character x years ago". So whether or not they were "agreeing with you" depends on what exactly you meant in your initial post. And it sounds you didn't mean what the post you've just quoted pointed out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1