Dx11 is a hit, will there perhaps be Dx12?

Jthug.9506

The Dx11 update went so well, I wonder if someone at ANET might speak to the possibility of a Dx12 update now that Dx11 is the default and the steam release has happened? It would be super neato to get support for ray tracing and dlss type technologies through Dx12 in gw2!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

the official statement was that a jump to dx12 would be too much effort for too low gains something.

therefore they did dx11 as it was easier to make and the performance gains was still high which i think is true, the game already runs nice on Dx11 already.

anet said though for more performance gain they need to make major changes to the engine itself which they definately want to do but have no set timeplan for it.

so i think there will be some time in the future where we see more improvement, question is just "WHEN ?" as always...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jthug.9506 said:

I’d like to hear an update on this from ANET

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/directx11-support-is-coming-to-guild-wars-2/

"We chose to use DirectX11 instead of DirectX12 or Vulkan because we found that switching to BGFX’s DirectX11 implementation provided enough of a performance boost that the graphics backend was no longer ever a limiting factor for client performance. DirectX11 is very stable and has already been used by thousands of games for nearly a decade at this point. It allows us to provide support back to Windows Vista, while Vulkan support starts at Windows 7 and DirectX12 support starts at Windows 10. As far as graphics features are concerned, jumping from DirectX9 to DirectX11 gives us plenty of options for adding interesting features to the engine in years to come. Supporting more than one of these backends would balloon QA work for little tangible benefits."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

This game's problems aren't really that much connected to what directx it uses, and more that the engine is held together with hot glue and everyone working on it has been sniffing the fumes from it all theese years and they probably literally can't even anymore... I kinda feel sorry for whoever has to deal with the engine lol.

There's still lot of improvement to be done, but dx11 is perfectly fine for a 10 year old game. The rest needs to be done from the ground up... Which is unlikely...

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

"We chose to use DirectX11 instead of DirectX12 or Vulkan because we found that switching to BGFX’s DirectX11 implementation provided enough of a performance boost that the graphics backend was no longer ever a limiting factor for client performance. DirectX11 is very stable and has already been used by thousands of games for nearly a decade at this point. It allows us to provide support back to Windows Vista, while Vulkan support starts at Windows 7 and DirectX12 support starts at Windows 10. As far as graphics features are concerned, jumping from DirectX9 to DirectX11 gives us plenty of options for adding interesting features to the engine in years to come. Supporting more than one of these backends would balloon QA work for little tangible benefits."

Again I’d like to hear from ANET on this, now that dx11 is in the bag. 

• Confused 10
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Parasite.5389 said:

I find it hard to believe that there's a huge cohort of gem buying players still using windows 7 but wtf do I know, and even if it were true is that really a good reason to hold everyone else back?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Redfeather.6401 said:

I hope the rendering engine is optimized more. DX11 didn't make my game perform better than the dx12 plugin.

dlss/fsr would provide a massive further improvement if you are gpu bound, like running very high frame rates or 4k or both.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jthug.9506 said:

The Dx11 update went so well, I wonder if someone at ANET might speak to the possibility of a Dx12 update now that Dx11 is the default and the steam release has happened? It would be super neato to get support for ray tracing and dlss type technologies through Dx12 in gw2!

The game uses the third-party BGFX backend which doesn't support DX12.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Jthug.9506 said:

Actually, it does...

I'm sorry, I think I wasn't clear in my response. There's no increased feature set of DX12 compared to DX11, as this is an abstraction layer and automatically hides the API from the programmer anyway. It can't expose any of the advanced  features of DX12 to the application as its limited to its own feature set already fully implemented on DX11, so there's no functional difference.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I'm sorry, I think I wasn't clear in my response. There's no increased feature set of DX12 compared to DX11, as this is an abstraction layer and automatically hides the API from the programmer anyway. It can't expose any of the advanced  features of DX12 to the application as its limited to its own feature set already fully implemented on DX11, so there's no functional difference.

BGFX is a low level rendring engine that supports DirectX up to 12, Open Gl, Metal, GLeS and Vulkan, it isn't going to keep ANET from the advanced features of Dx12, path(ray)tracing has been supported in BGFX via Dx12 for years. Dx11 and Dx12 are not that different. it's just a matter of putting in the effort. I for one would be more generous with gem purchases if they did.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, erapago.4387 said:

Last thing the game needs is ray tracing. It needs better performance and better post processing.

As far as I understand it is also related to what visual look that those artist had when designing in game world for GW2. RT would change that and make the world look very different, this is depending on how much RT and what type that would be used, so those that have too weak GPU would not see the same things like other players.

The real issue for many years have been the lack control of different Post-Processing settings which would gain more for more players in this game, then only those that have video card capable AND powerful enough to make use of hardware RT.

RT - Ray-Tracing

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437

5 hours ago, Jthug.9506 said:

I find it hard to believe that there's a huge cohort of gem buying players still using windows 7 but wtf do I know, and even if it were true is that really a good reason to hold everyone else back?

While not directly a survey of GW2 players, the Steam Hardware Survey is a good source for getting stats on who's using what OS.

The latest figures have Windows 7 64bit sat at 2.07% of users, with Windows 7 (presumably 32bit) sat at 0.10%.

So yeah, doesn't really strike me as being a financially significant number.

Still, I'd love to see ANet's stats on OS usage. It would be fascinating to see how the average GW2 player compares to the wider gaming audience.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
go compare
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kaese.8765 said:

i had better performance with d912pxy than with dx11. especially when it comes to latency and input lag. sadly d912pxy is not updated anymore. i hope the devs will implement an similar dx12 option.

Has anyone tried dxvk?

I mean, in windows, i know that's how GW2 runs in linux, but is there a difference in windows?

On 9/1/2022 at 8:32 PM, Veprovina.4876 said:

Has anyone tried dxvk?

I mean, in windows, i know that's how GW2 runs in linux, but is there a difference in windows?

While not quite answering your question, and perhaps going slightly off topic, I do want to chime in and say that I'm playing on Linux, via DXVK (Steam with GE Proton) and the game seems to run quite a bit better than it does on Windows on the same hardware.

Edited by radumitrescu.3821
clarity and grammar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, radumitrescu.3821 said:

While not quite answering your question, and perhaps going slightly off topic, I do want to chime in and say that I'm playing on Linux, via DXVK (Steam with GE Proton) and the game seems to run quite a bit better than it does on Windows on the same hardware.

kitten, I really wanna try it in linux.

Cause I did hear it runs better on vulkan in linux.

But I guess i could just try it in windows too, I mean, I run Saints Row 2 on deck, what's the worst it can happen right? It's reversible...

I just dont know which dlls to put where...

Do you know?