"Living"

Unicorn Luna.5204

Now unless my memory is failing me, I seem to remember it was called "Living" world as the devs had lofty ideas about running live events in open world that permanently changed the world. This happened with season 1 and there have been some small permanent changes in the core game due to story since then but really not much. So I'm wondering are these story seasons being called living world because that's what they first named them and they're sticking with it? Otherwise they just seem like seasons. Am I wrong? I'm just no longer sure what the "Living" aspect is in the living world seasons.

Cheers 😃

• Like 2
  • Confused 7

Season 2 also featured some big changes to the open world, e.g., Brisban, Iron Marches, Frostgorge, Timberline, and Kessex. Lion's Arch too.

Seasons 3, and 4 did add some smaller changes to the core maps - client side stuff like Trahearne's statue in the Grove, or the cracked tooth in Hoelbrak, as well as new events like the ley-line anomaly, bandit champions, and Awakened invasions.

Season 5 aka Icebrood Saga didn't besides some prelude NPC foreshadowing, but we did get to see Bjora Marches and Drizzlewood become altered over time with subsequent releases similar to Dry Top and The Silverwastes.

So while it's a lot less open world focused than before, there have been changes here and there. A lot more permanent changes than Season 1 gave though, that's for sure. The name is mostly just carry over, but there's still some advances made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Luna.2158 said:

Now unless my memory is failing me, I seem to remember it was called "Living" world as the devs had lofty ideas about running live events in open world that permanently changed the world. This happened with season 1 and there have been some small permanent changes in the core game due to story since then but really not much. So I'm wondering are these story seasons being called living world because that's what they first named them and they're sticking with it? Otherwise they just seem like seasons. Am I wrong? I'm just no longer sure what the "Living" aspect is in the living world seasons.

Cheers 😃

It created FOMO and community didn't like it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Luna.2158 said:

Cheers 😃

They tried that and it didn't work very well.

The first few releases for GW2 were done that way, the Lost Shores weekend event, the first Halloween and the first Wintersday all had activities and events which became available and then were removed again as the event progressed. It was very confusing for players because it wasn't always clear what was available or how long for and if anything was bugged (which many things were) either we just had to put up with the broken version because there was no time to fix it before it was removed or things had to be brought back out of order, which further added to the confusion.

Add on the fact that it was pretty disappointing for anyone who joined the game late or happened to be away for some/all of the time to find there was no way for them to play this and even people who had played it and enjoyed it couldn't go back to it later if they wanted to and I think the disadvantages outweighed the novelty.

Season 1 was a slight improvement, running each release for 2 weeks or 1 month gave them more time to get it working before it was gone and more time for players to find out what was involved and complete it, but over time it still got to be confusing that so much of the story was gone and disappointing that things players had enjoyed were taken away and couldn't be repeated.

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but I think the way they've been doing things since Season 2 is better, even if the meaning behind the name isn't as obvious any more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It’s just a marketing thing to describe the game evolving over time. Expansions are a part of the living world. They tried to do it literally with ls1 and it was somewhat of a disaster, but the name stuck. The world does sometimes change over time, but to no more or less than anything else with dlc

As I thought! Thanks everyone. Particularly Konig for the detail. I'd forgotten about the season 2 world changes, for some reason my brain lumps season 1 and 2 together, lol. I'm glad they stopped doing this for the most part but I can't help but feel there's something to be said for having the vanilla versions accessible somehow. I really want to hang out in the original LA (the original gw2 LA I mean). Anyway, I digress. Thanks all! 

Edited by Luna.2158
  • Like 2

It was fun, but when big events like Marionette and the battle for LA happened, it became obvious lower pop servers were suffering because they had less chances to actually gain loot, while the high pop servers were constantly running and succeeding at the events. This is one reason megaservers came about.

Narrative wise, it also created confusion on when exactly these events were meant to happen, because dialogue adjusted to call you "commander" or not depending on if you finished PS.

By having the episodes be on new maps, it freed up the current maps to remain time locked (as opposed to being a weird mix of old events and new happening side by side) as well as less risk of screwing up X event because Y later episode event bugged out the coding of X.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

To me, the biggest problem with Season one was the waste of dev resources.  All that work that the devs put into each release disappeared into nothing so quickly.  What a waste.

Yeah I remember the dungeon team being quite upset their hard work lasted a month and then was removed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

There were dungeons that got removed? 

The full length Flame and Frost dungeon was removed as was the Aetherblade one. They weren’t put back as 4 trimmed down fractals until much later after they changed direction to ensure content wasn’t removed and after the dungeon team disbanded. I think they were also responsible for the Tower of Nightmares instance, but my memory is hazy there.

The Twilight Arbor path 4 was their only permanent legacy that was never removed from post-launch releases

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2