[Suggestion] Class: Brawler

lezbefriends.7516

Or fighter or pugilist or whatever you want to call it.

Uses empty weapon slots [attacks with fist(s)].

Or uses a new weapon type (knuckles, fighting gloves, etc.).

The fist skin would be actually new, as you can’t outfit in fighting with your hands.

Hand-fighting animations already in the game with some skills, such as Warrior’s enrage special skill.

I think it would be cool.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 12

12 minutes ago, lezbefriends.7516 said:

:confuse: @ OP and :like: every post shutting OP down. Standard GW2 forum formula.

Maybe you should be a bit more specific and put a little more effort into your suggestion. How does the class mechanic work? What are the skills and how do the utility skills work? What about the traits? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Maybe you should be a bit more specific and put a little more effort into your suggestion. How does the class mechanic work? What are the skills and how do the utility skills work? What about the traits? 

Maybe my point was that no matter what a thread starter posts, that is how it plays out here.

Edited by lezbefriends.7516
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 7

Could be a new espec for thief.

daredevil already got utilities which function like that so a new espec which can switch the weapon set into melee fist and kick set maybe.

I dont see it as new class though as for every new class there must be several epecs and how much is available to „brawler“ in a espec difference to each others then?

In theory I'd love a Brawler class. It's a popular archetype that paradoxically seems to get skipped over in many games. Gear systems in games often don't help, because it would either have to be gearless or dilute the brawler concept with mandatory and potentially contrived weapon types. Ironically enough, despite Guild Wars 2 being a rare MMO that's not gear based, it's almost worse here because of how important weapon skills are to the very foundation of the combat system.

I would still be open to it happening somehow though. I mean, the Revenants completely alter the Utility Skill system. Perhaps Brawlers could do the opposite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2022 at 12:34 AM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Maybe my point was that no matter what a thread starter posts, that is how it plays out here.

Eh, I mean, rehashing an already well talked about topic that is easily searchable here (unarmed/fist weapon combat profession).  Posters already have an opinion having had this conversation in many other forum posts, probably want to cut to the chase and give their final response.

To your suggestion, I would appreciate new weapon types be added to all professions, but at this stage, getting both new weapons and a new profession seem like a really long shot, and I would rather they invest in making the current 9 prof and 27 eSpecs functional before adding more.

I could see a world where in an expansion Anet adds say 3 new weapon types and gives each to 3 new eSpecs.  Since weapons are thematic only (just a skin and a skill animation) locking new weapons to eSpecs would be a nice way of doing it.  As such, your brawler, or martial artist, using fist or unarmed attacks, could be created as an extension of an existing profession.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

could be cool to have an elite that punches & kicks stuff .  hell throw in some wrestling moves for good measure. don't even really have to use a unique weapon type. just add add whatever weapon they don't have and then don't use it for it's abilities just leave it sheathed. or do something like the bladesworns weapon toggle.

Edited by Comus.7365
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jokubas.4265 said:

In theory I'd love a Brawler class. It's a popular archetype that paradoxically seems to get skipped over in many games. Gear systems in games often don't help, because it would either have to be gearless or dilute the brawler concept with mandatory and potentially contrived weapon types. Ironically enough, despite Guild Wars 2 being a rare MMO that's not gear based, it's almost worse here because of how important weapon skills are to the very foundation of the combat system.

I would still be open to it happening somehow though. I mean, the Revenants completely alter the Utility Skill system. Perhaps Brawlers could do the opposite.

Final Fantasy, to my knowledge, is the only RPG that does hand-to-hand fighters any sort of justice. Western RPGs mostly just skip them over.

• Thanks 1

Focus is a hand-to-hand melee weapon with most of their designs. People were asking for a dual focus punchyboi spec a lot in past but they gave us Daredevil wif meh punchy utilities.

Maybe it shoulda had a fist mode like Warrior's gunsword. XD

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Thanks 1

I know Hollywood likes to portray this quite often and has given people this false idea that an unarmed combatant can best an armed one, but that narrative is generally not true.  There's a reason no wars were ever won by unarmed fighters; having a weapon is always better than not having one.  "Kung fu" is over-romanticized.

If what you're wanting is a character with martial arts themed animations, about the closest you'll get is a daredevil thief with a staff.  I run one, using a bladed staff skin (white tiger staff, red crane staff, or the new fox staff skins all work well), with canthan features and clothing, and it fits the theme really well.  It's also a decently powerful build and fun to play,  albeit it involves a massive amount of dodge rolling (flipping around like an acrobat, anyhow).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/22/2022 at 4:40 PM, JTGuevara.9018 said:

Final Fantasy, to my knowledge, is the only RPG that does hand-to-hand fighters any sort of justice. Western RPGs mostly just skip them over.

Well, if you're still willing to pay those shills at blizzard, world of warcraft's monk class is probably the best representation of unarmed fighters ive seen yet.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Lynx.9058 said:

I know Hollywood likes to portray this quite often and has given people this false idea that an unarmed combatant can best an armed one, but that narrative is generally not true.  There's a reason no wars were ever won by unarmed fighters; having a weapon is always better than not having one.  "Kung fu" is over-romanticized.

If what you're wanting is a character with martial arts themed animations, about the closest you'll get is a daredevil thief with a staff.  I run one, using a bladed staff skin (white tiger staff, red crane staff, or the new fox staff skins all work well), with canthan features and clothing, and it fits the theme really well.  It's also a decently powerful build and fun to play,  albeit it involves a massive amount of dodge rolling (flipping around like an acrobat, anyhow).

Real life doesn't have magic or supernatural powers like we do here and other games with Monks; like D&D, FFXIV, Everquest, etc. My character is blessed with Abaddon's magic and could easily punch someone's stomach plug clean out through steel armor if he wanted to. But Hand2Hand and Martial Arts doesn't always = bare fisted or unarmed. Even in real life running into an attacker sporting something as simple as brass knuckles could get you killed quickly and many bladed 'fist weapons' would be just as effective as a sword or dagger would. (GW1 also had brass knuckles for a dagger skin).

People speculated getting a H2H spec because they kept (and still keep) releasing Focus skins that look like Pugilist weapons. Claws and Push Weapon Focuses that look painful to be punched/stabbed by like the recent 10year weapon even. Then ofc a Focus can be used to... Focus energy into your fists as you swing them around which makes any of the skins realistic for a spec liek that. 

My personal favorite Monk weapon in FFXIV are the Makai Fists because they make it look like my hands are enchanted with runes that make my punches hurt moar. I'm also a big fan of Tonfas thanks to Suikoden.

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1