Ranked afk is a huge issue

Lysico.4906

Bad enough you can’t get 4 friends and PvP.   But the sheer amount of afkers in matches is making it so hard.   I am only gold 2/3. Maybe gets better in plat but I will never know because If them.   We have players who of course I can’t name. For last two or three seasons afk.   My block list is full of them.  Can’t que dodge them with the block list changes.    Anet just does not care    Which is very sad 

• Confused 1

The quality of ranked matches lately at the start of this season for me has been extremely bad mostly. Lots of afkers, players who intentionally throw matches (sometimes covertly), and rarely do I have some high quality, close matches. Because of those reasons I got placed in a lower mmr bracket which I don't think I deserved to have. Luckily, I finished my legendary trinket so I think I am done with PvP ranked, for now lol. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nymthalas.4019 said:

Giving rewards on lose is a great problem for pvp, because as much as AFK is a problem there is a bigger one of people throwing matches either covertly or openly, just going into pvp for rewards. PvP is competitive mode, not another extra way of farming after finishing metatrains.

Yp, no pips for loss, more pips for win. You solved most of the afk problem. Unless you're literary one of the worst 5 players on the bottom of the ranking this wouldn't affect players that actually play. It would also increase competitiveness at all lvls. 

3 hours ago, Nymthalas.4019 said:

Giving rewards on lose is a great problem for pvp, because as much as AFK is a problem there is a bigger one of people throwing matches either covertly or openly, just going into pvp for rewards. PvP is competitive mode, not another extra way of farming after finishing metatrains.

You're too smart for the Gw2 PvP forums, and you deserve better than this place.

But I agree and i'm glad i'm not the only one who sees this. Rewards for losing in Ranked were a terrible idea. AFK reports get ignored and AFKers are given rewards for contributing nothing to a loss. 

And you know what? That's absolutely fine, or it would be as a casual reward just for playing in the casual queue and not the competitive queue but as it stands those freebie rewards are actually exclusive to Ranked.

Genius, sinister 207 IQ game design. I'll tell you what it is really is, its that Ranked is poorly designed and is beyond frustrating to the average SoloQ player and so they need to bait people into playing it with free stuff pl0x, something no veteran MMO player could ever resist the calling of.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Yp, no pips for loss, more pips for win. You solved most of the afk problem. Unless you're literary one of the worst 5 players on the bottom of the ranking this wouldn't affect players that actually play. It would also increase competitiveness at all lvls. 

why would stop me from afking 20 games in a row, getting lucky wins 4v5 here and there, and then smashing noobs with my mmr being low? nothing. you get rid of afkers by punishing them not by whatever you want to do, it will either do nothing or people will double down.

3 hours ago, Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

You're too smart for the Gw2 PvP forums, and you deserve better than this place.

But I agree and i'm glad i'm not the only one who sees this. Rewards for losing in Ranked were a terrible idea. AFK reports get ignored and AFKers are given rewards for contributing nothing to a loss. 

And you know what? That's absolutely fine, or it would be as a casual reward just for playing in the casual queue and not the competitive queue but as it stands those freebie rewards are actually exclusive to Ranked.

Genius, sinister 207 IQ game design. I'll tell you what it is really is, its that Ranked is poorly designed and is beyond frustrating to the average SoloQ player and so they need to bait people into playing it with free stuff pl0x, something no veteran MMO player could ever resist the calling of.

They can throw as many goodies at ranked as they please, but gold plated trash is still trash. Besides, instanced pve is up there in terms of rewards. And it's not like in-game materials are expensive either. Bribing players (yup, just calling it what it is...) only works for so long.

1 hour ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

Yeah...the 'no rewards on loss' would make this issue far worse.  Sure the AFK person gets no rewards, but the actual team suffers as well.

I honestly have been fortunate not to run into any AFK unless the match is going so badly that continuing to play is pointless (like 50-500 stuff).  

Not to mention there is no distinction of how "bad" the loss is, which make no rewards a pathetic prospect. 

The way losses are done is the primary reason I got tired of sPvP years ago, aside from token matches (working on getting the old matches away from my last 10 recorded, I've gone from 2018 all the way up to 2020 yay!).

Getting roflstomped 50-500 in minutes. Ok. I can take that. Then the next match we do an intense 498-500 match at 15m+ and according to Anet, that's just as bad, no sir you loose all your ranked gains you had in your last 3 wins because you clearly suck

Kitten that kitten.

Edited by Dawdler.8521
  • Thanks 1

afk'ers afk with their alt while main acc is on the winning side. removing reward for loss will not solve an issue, but will decrease amount of players.

What should be done is actually take messures over afk'ers. after few month long dishonors most should vanish.

Or implement IP traker, to not allow accounts with same IP to be in opposing teams in ranked.

AFK problem is one of reasons that made me quit pvp few years ago. Looks like it is still here, why should i come back.

The other reason was after few matches i always get matched with dragon finisher players who farm our team.

I have wolf finisher, i played gamemode 10 times less time then them. Why tf we matched.  - because there is no enough players.

Never solving pvp problems are reason for bad population which concludes in more problems and cycle will turn untill only afk`ers and bots are in game.

Not everyone AFK's because its malicious, many just AFK because the game mode sucks now, and they feel they're left with few other options than to give up since no effort is put into it.

I'm not defending AFKers here, I'm just saying this is the point we've come to in general. I find myself desparately wishing in many matches that there was some kind of surrender button, some way to end the game early instead of feeding myself to enemies just to make it end faster. It becomes almost physically painful to be in a game when its completely lopsided from the start, especially with how long games drag on; a single PvP game is about the same length as a Starcraft game, despite the extreme difference in the genres.

(I'd give anything for a 5min time limit battleground with a much shorter start timer.)

Sure, you get the close 500-450+ games but they've been less and less each season, and when they happen you still get ranked like it was a 4v5 AFK blowout match, so what's the difference, and who cares?

I think it says everything when my skill has increased exponentially over the years (at some point I was finishing platinum+ each season), yet I place lower and lower in my placement matches each new season, because of getting rollout or blowout games in the placement matches.

One of my placement matches last season was against top 10 ranked PvP player. That sure seems like an adequate test of players' skill level, that'll surely place them properly.

I've given up on PvP, the population has evaporated, the matchmaker doesn't work, and even if they implemented countermeasures to behaviors like AFKing, its too little too late at this point. Its not going to bring anyone back, if they want to revive PvP they're going to have to rebuild it from the ground up.

Any ranked play I do in the future will just be to finish another set of legendary armor, and everytime some normal player (not wintrader) AFKs I just think, I understand friend, you do you.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I respectfully disagree with the idea of removing rewards for ranked match losses, since it also would make a match a waste of time for the players who put much effort from the losing team. What would I propose is the idea of rewarding players in terms of effort done, like killing x amount of players in a game, reviving x amount of downed players, decapping/capping x amount of nodes, healing teammates this x amount, etc., all of these disregarding whether your team loses or wins and the winning pips would just be a bonus. Not only it may discourage the AFKing in a matchup, but also could encourage the losing team at a moment to fight to the last to maybe turn the tides into their favor.

I don't know if Anet does this, but I think it would be great for them to have an active moderating team spectating in each matchups. In that way, if they receive reports of a player idling, then they could check the player in their match to see the AFKing for themselves and therefore do the appropriate actions for these players.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leonidrex.5649 said:

why would stop me from afking 20 games in a row, getting lucky wins 4v5 here and there, and then smashing noobs with my mmr being low? nothing. you get rid of afkers by punishing them not by whatever you want to do, it will either do nothing or people will double down.

I agree with punishing as best counter measure. 

But in your example at least you need to play half of the matches to get your pips. Now you dont need to play any. 

Anyway I know this wont change. This pity rewards are now in all games. I dont like it but its how it is now. Less rage I guess. 

On top of everything there is server issues, that gives completelly random and super huge lag spikes.

This is happening to the point in which a pvp match doesn't load and you have to character swap to force the game to load pvp map. Or getting a huge lag spike in the waiting room and pvp match not starting, and again character swap. And even just put you as afk and cant join pvp.

So before thinking that lately there is a lot of wintrading (this is like when people gets killed, and the first thing they have in their mind is cheats), maybe we should think that there is more people than we think having huge lag spikes, because as you say a lot of afks lately, and huge lag spikes has happened lately too. So we might start asking why dont they solve their servers first?