Suggestion: Give people with Frostfang the option to trade it for the new axe

Okay I don't even own Frostfang, but this is probably the first time where a legendary has just been flat out upgraded by a later generation.

I'm sure there will be some people who prefer the Gen 1, which is why the option should be to trade, but I feel really bad for anyone who got the original and there's just now a flashier but almost identical version available.  If there's concern about the cost difference, then maybe limit it to people who unlocked it before the new sets were announced.

Kudos to the designer on the set by the way.  I had no interest in an icy themed set, but now I've seen them I'm kind of in awe.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 23
  • Sad 2

All of the first generation legendary weapons need an update. They're sorely outclassed by gen2 and gen3 visually, despite sometimes being even more work to create (world exploration is rough).

Their only saving grace is the ability to just buy the precursors, and the fact that they don't cost an extra 250 Mystic Coins from the "Gift of Money" but now that the price of those have severely dropped its no longer that much of a bonus compared to the past.

Howler is perhaps the worst legendary that exists in the game, and Frostfang is "just okay".

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Like 5
  • Confused 9

I just think the old ones should have the On Kill effect feature too. I like my incinerator but the Aurene dagger will get to be fire too with ice and water bonus and explode things when they die so I'm probably gonna replace it with it once I'm not poorz. I'm also tired of the weird sound effect incinerator has when thrown. XD At least dual legendary weapons like the axe and dagger will still have some use.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Howler is perhaps the worst legendary that exists in the game, and Frostfang is "just okay".

But i Like my howler uu. He didn't need to be big and super shiny and flashy to bei a good boi.

I Like flashy legys Like dreamer an astralaria but i also Like the quiet ones like minstrel and nevermore. Most Times, from These super flashy ones i Just use the precurser, Like from the Gen 2 Pistole.

People need to Stop dictating what people have to Like. This is the great Thing about gw2 there is Something for everyone.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 11
  • Confused 3

They're not identical, and no trade ins.  Then you'd have to make trade ins available for every legendary.

Some of the gen 1's could use a touch up on effects maybe, but some are genuinely lovely.  I love Kudzu for example, it's perfect for a sylvari especially and it's lovely.  I see a lot of Twilight and Eternity footfalls running by.  It's ok not to have giant flashy effects for every weapon ❤️

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

They're not identical, and no trade ins.  Then you'd have to make trade ins available for every legendary.

Okay, they aren't literally identical, but they are incredibly similar.  Similar enough that I think someone could be justifiably upset if they invested in Frostfang before the announcement.

I don't think this needs to be done for all legendaries, but I think this is a specific case where a precedent is set.  It'd be like if in a couple of years they release a rifle which is just a bigger and flashier ship than the HMS Divinity.  Legendaries are meant to be end game best in stock for all time kind of deals, and Frostfang is now kind of the lesser* of two extremely similar axes.

*Again, some will prefer gen 1, I'm just saying that it would be perfectly reasonable to feel that way if you owned Frostfang.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But i Like my howler uu. He didn't need to be big and super shiny and flashy to bei a good boi.

I Like flashy legys Like dreamer an astralaria but i also Like the quiet ones like minstrel and nevermore. Most Times, from These super flashy ones i Just use the precurser, Like from the Gen 2 Pistole.

People need to Stop dictating what people have to Like. This is the great Thing about gw2 there is Something for everyone.

Players aren't warned ahead of time that the effects don't scale correctly on Asura, so on a Charr or Norn Howler is absolutely amasing but on Asura it basically has no effects at all.

It was my first legendary and it almost caused me to never make another one. Luckily for the rest I found YouTube videos first instead of just assuming that it would look be halfway worth the time and effort--unlike Howler. But I digress, because you talk about other players to stop dictating what you like when its you who want the weapons to remain as they are for your own reasons, and that doesn't make any sense.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

But I digress, because you talk about other players to stop dictating what you like when its you who want the weapons to remain as they are for your own reasons, and that doesn't make any sense.

Nope, people crafted weapons with/for the skins those weapons have, not with/for the skins you now want to turn them into. There's a difference between what he said and what you're saying here.

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Frostfang is cheaper to make I assume though, so wouldn’t that make a shortcut for getting the new one? I can’t see a way of them doing it for pre 3rd gen and for after. That’s going to get messy to sort out

Yep it would be a shortcut.  Unless they make the gen 1 unsellable.

2 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Okay, they aren't literally identical, but they are incredibly similar.  Similar enough that I think someone could be justifiably upset if they invested in Frostfang before the announcement.

I don't think this needs to be done for all legendaries, but I think this is a specific case where a precedent is set.  It'd be like if in a couple of years they release a rifle which is just a bigger and flashier ship than the HMS Divinity.  Legendaries are meant to be end game best in stock for all time kind of deals, and Frostfang is now kind of the lesser* of two extremely similar axes.

*Again, some will prefer gen 1, I'm just saying that it would be perfectly reasonable to feel that way if you owned Frostfang.

I can understand your disappointment, but Frostfang has its own unique footfalls, sound, etc.  The players who do have it are likely happy with their accomplishment and with the more subtle effects.  Perhaps we could hear the opinion of someone who actually has the weapon so we don't just speculate on what their opinion is? 

34 minutes ago, Randulf.7614 said:

Frostfang is cheaper to make I assume though, so wouldn’t that make a shortcut for getting the new one? I can’t see a way of them doing it for pre 3rd gen and for after. That’s going to get messy to sort out

They've dealt with similar before with the armoury.  I was thinking basically anyone who unlocked it in wardrobe prior to the announcement of the variants.

4 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Perhaps we could hear the opinion of someone who actually has the weapon so we don't just speculate on what their opinion is? 

Yeah good call.  I figured anyone who actually had the weapon would get torn apart for saying "gimme" if they posted the thread first.  Just wanted to give a voice to it as someone who doesn't have it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

They've dealt with similar before with the armoury.  I was thinking basically anyone who unlocked it in wardrobe prior to the announcement of the variants.

This has nothing to do with what you're saying here. Armory was about actual cap of items it can hold. You can still unlock the skin once and you still have that skin even with new legendary weapons.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I figured anyone who actually had the weapon would get torn apart for saying "gimme" if they posted the thread first.  Just wanted to give a voice to it as someone who doesn't have it.

This feels, and often is, patronising. People have a voice...they aren't scared to speak out or comment..they just don't precieve the supposed "injustice" and likely don't need your brave soul to pave the way for them if they wanted to bring it up..

You're not doing anyone a favours here..

Edited by Sigmoid.7082
  • Like 7
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Players aren't warned ahead of time that the effects don't scale correctly on Asura, so on a Charr or Norn Howler is absolutely amasing but on Asura it basically has no effects at all.

It was my first legendary and it almost caused me to never make another one. Luckily for the rest I found YouTube videos first instead of just assuming that it would look be halfway worth the time and effort--unlike Howler. But I digress, because you talk about other players to stop dictating what you like when its you who want the weapons to remain as they are for your own reasons, and that doesn't make any sense.

I Play mostly asura and Like how subtile the effect is.

I'm sorry that you don't Like it. But as i Said, this dosn't mean other people also don't Like it. People built the weapons because the way anet Designed them and when anet would Decide to make it more flashy i would want all my invested time and resources Back. Because you Made a legy you don't Like because you didn't searched how it looks(everything does scale down in asuras, even the Diarr*** puddles from the greatsword). But i Made a legy knowing what it looked and WANTING this Look.

Imagine anet would make a settle gemshop skin and after few years decides to make it into a Discoball ...

And as you Said, there are YouTube Videos and Reddit Post and other stuff you can Look Up before you Devise to make These.

I Wish anet would make Something you could Showcase legys and infusions completly, but Till this eventually Happens there are a Ton of helpfull people. You can even Just ask ingame

Uhh autocorrect when youre First language isn't english is so annoying xP

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sigmoid.7082 said:

This feels, and often is, patronising. People have a voice...they aren't scared to speak out or comment..they just don't precieve the supposed "injustice" and likely don't need your brave soul to pave the way for them if they wanted to bring it up..

You're not doing anyone a favours here..

I didn't say anyone was scared.  I said they'd get ripped apart for saying "gimme".  It's nothing to do wit bravery or having a voice, it's just much harder to dismiss the point as "selfish" when it is made by someone who doesn't directly benefit from it.

Though speaking of feeling patronising, I do find it odd you feel confident you can speak for every single person who owns Frostfang here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 10
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I didn't say anyone was scared.  I said they'd get ripped apart for saying "gimme".  It's nothing to do wit bravery or having a voice, it's just much harder to dismiss the point as "selfish" when it is made by someone who doesn't directly benefit from it.

Though speaking of feeling patronising, I do find it odd you feel confident you can speak for every single person who owns Frostfang here.

But where would this Stop? There are a few Things who resemble slighty other stuff. There are so many weapon Sets who Look the Same.

Do you think when they would allow this for legys people wouldn't also want this for other stuff? Esspecially gemstore stuff? 

You can't give one person the right to trade something in, because it looks simliar. But dismiss another Person.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

But where would this Stop? There are a few Things who resemble slighty other stuff. There are so man's weapon Sets who Look the Same.

Do you think when they would allow this for legys people wouldn't also want this for other stuff? Esspecially gemstore stuff? 

You can't give one person the right to trade something in, because it looks simliar. But dismiss another Person.

I think this is a reasonable concern, but I'm not convinced there is a slippery slope here.  Frostfang and the Jormag Axe are a single weapon type, and both legendary.  This isn't just "I like that skin better than on I own" it's "That specific ice dragon themed ice axe legendary weapon has flashier trails, on kill effects, footfalls, and unsheathing animations than the ice dragon themed ice axe legendary weapon I spent more than a thousand gold on already".

This is a very specific scenario.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 10

4 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

And when you Grant this to everyone, as i ask, where should this Go?

Gw2 more Like, Play Long enough and trade youre "old" stuff for shiny new stuff.

So I actually have the opposite concern where this sets a bad precedent of "GW2, play long enough and all your stuff will be outclassed by shinier versions of the same stuff".  I think there should be a degree of care paid by the dev team to avoid "negating" previous work put into a legendary by making an upgrade down the line.  Obviously it wouldn't have been worth scrapping the whole variant idea because of the Frostfang/Jormag axe overlap, but I think it's worth acknowledging that in this one instance there has been a situation where a specific legendary effectively got an replacement upgrade.

(Again, some people will prefer Frostfang, upgrade is subjective.  Hence suggestion a trade option.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1