Suggestion: Give people with Frostfang the option to trade it for the new axe

8 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I think this is a reasonable concern, but I'm not convinced there is a slippery slope here.  Frostfang and the Jormag Axe are a single weapon type, and both legendary.  This isn't just "I like that skin better than on I own" it's "That specific ice dragon themed ice axe legendary weapon has flashier trails, on kill effects, footfalls, and unsheathing animations than the ice dragon themed ice axe legendary weapon I spent more than a thousand gold on already".

This is a very specific scenario.

This is not a scenario.

It is not going to happen lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

So I actually have the opposite concern where this sets a bad precedent of "GW2, play long enough and all your stuff will be outclassed by shinier versions of the same stuff".  I think there should be a degree of care paid by the dev team to avoid "negating" previous work put into a legendary by making an upgrade down the line.  Obviously it wouldn't have been worth scrapping the whole variant idea because of the Frostfang/Jormag axe overlap, but I think it's worth acknowledging that in this one instance there has been a situation where a specific legendary effectively got an replacement upgrade.

(Again, some people will prefer Frostfang, upgrade is subjective.  Hence suggestion a trade option.)

Well this is already the Case. It's called gemstore.

And i Just googled this legy and where exactly is this Frostfang 1.2?

Pls don't say the shape. Look at the gw2 gardrobe axes. This shape is Not unusual for axes. But even the shape is different, it's wider and has more Details(i mean Frostfang). Just because it's a blue Axe don't makes this the next Frostfang ...

This is just an overly disco-set with No real Details in my opinion.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I didn't say anyone was scared.  I said they'd get ripped apart for saying "gimme".  It's nothing to do wit bravery or having a voice, it's just much harder to dismiss the point as "selfish" when it is made by someone who doesn't directly benefit from it.

Though speaking of feeling patronising, I do find it odd you feel confident you can speak for every single person who owns Frostfang here.

Well just because you dont have the axe atm what is stoping you from crafting the cheaper axe later and benefiting from it?

And you do know that jormag and the claw of jormag aint the same monster right one is the leuitenant of the other so they are two seperate axes modled after 2 diffrerent enemies.

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well just because you dont have the axe atm what is stoping you from crafting the cheaper axe later and benefiting from it?

As I said, I'd lock it to people who crafted the axe before the variants were announced.

10 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

And you do know that jormag and the claw of jormag aint the same monster right one is the leuitenant of the other so they are two seperate axes modled after 2 diffrerent enemies.

I mean... assuming that is relevant, that would suggest that my argument that the Jormag axe is the upgrade is even more valid?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 7

29 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

Well this is already the Case. It's called gemstore.

And i Just googled this legy and where exactly is this Frostfang 1.2?

Pls don't say the shape. Look at the gw2 gardrobe axes. This shape is Not unusual for axes. But even the shape is different, it's wider and has more Details(i mean Frostfang). Just because it's a blue Axe don't makes this the next Frostfang ...

This is just an overly disco-set with No real Details in my opinion.

Well this depends on what people value.  Someone who specifically made Frostfang for the details could absolutely say that these are very different axes.  However, someone who just wanted an ice-dragaon themed legendary with icy footfalls etc. not so much.  Given much of the time the axes are viewed from a distance and in motion, the details are often going to be less important than the broader strokes for people, and on that basis, they're basically just two icy dragon legendary axes, one of which is way flashier than the other (which subjectively, some people will prefer).

Anyway, I don't have the axe and don't actually want to be speaking on behalf of people (despite perspective the contrary 🙂 ) so I'll leave this here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Indeed, it's not a scenario. It's reality.

But it already did happen. Both of those weapons exist.

But they are not the same axe not even modeld after the same enemy.

They share a theme sure but plenty of other weapons do that already.

1 example

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ice_Reaver_Axe#/media/File:Ice_Reaver_Axe.jpg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I didn't say anyone was scared.  I said they'd get ripped apart for saying "gimme".  It's nothing to do wit bravery or having a voice, it's just much harder to dismiss the point as "selfish" when it is made by someone who doesn't directly benefit from it.

You're making up a non-existant problem pretending to "worry for others", while bringing up "armory changes" you apparently didn't even understand in the first place since it doesn't have anything to do with what you're asking for in this thread.

And initially you came up with "these weapons are basically identical", but they're very clearly not. All they share is an ice theme. In that case, they should start a trade-in of any skin that is fire themed any time they release any other fire-themed skin. It doesn't make sense and it's not happening. Btw reasoning behind this thread is still clear to me and is based on some of the recent posts, but I'll just stop myself here. 😄 

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

On 10/4/2022 at 5:29 PM, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Okay I don't even own Frostfang, but this is probably the first time where a legendary has just been flat out upgraded by a later generation.

I'm sure there will be some people who prefer the Gen 1, which is why the option should be to trade, but I feel really bad for anyone who got the original and there's just now a flashier but almost identical version available.  If there's concern about the cost difference, then maybe limit it to people who unlocked it before the new sets were announced.

Kudos to the designer on the set by the way.  I had no interest in an icy themed set, but now I've seen them I'm kind of in awe.

Another insane idea from the asylums most notorious resident 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

Why? The new axe has extra effects and doesn't look exactly the same. Legendaries don't need to be equal.

For example Incinerator is probably the cheapest legendary to make in the game but i still went out of my way to build the Claw of the Khan Ur for flavor reasons. Its not something most people will do but its still nice both options are there.

Same with Frostfang VS Jormag's Axe. People who care about the stat stick can just make Frostfang. Others who want to go out of their way to make the Jormag Axe will.

Edited by Ashgar.3024

On 10/4/2022 at 12:40 PM, Zaraki.5784 said:

I'd much prefer if they'd update the visuals and effects of Frostfang, like they did with Meteorologicus in the past.

Hopefully they don't screw up again by doing the equivalent of removing the phoenix from Phoenix ...

On 10/4/2022 at 12:35 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

How are they almost identical? Because they are snow/ice-based? That's thematical similarity, not two items being almost identical.

Hmm https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glacial_weapon_skins is also ice themed and I have the full set unlocked before gen3 was announced ...

23 hours ago, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

Similar enough that I think someone could be justifiably upset if they invested in Frostfang before the announcement.

Upset over investing in something they don't like. Who is the one that made the decision?

22 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Perhaps we could hear the opinion of someone who actually has the weapon so we don't just speculate on what their opinion is? 

As someone who has both Frostfang and Astralaria(also Glacial Axe!). If I wanted Jormag's Rending I would just go and make Aurene's Rending then unlock the Jormag variant.

Not sure why "if you want something then go work for it" is such a foreign concept to some people.

12 hours ago, Jokkerzzz.5471 said:

Have you seen predator? its just basic skin that have legendary tag for no reason

The entire aurene set is basically a BLC set with an extra blinding flash.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Hopefully they don't screw up again by doing the equivalent of removing the phoenix from Phoenix ...

Hmm https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glacial_weapon_skins is also ice themed and I have the full set unlocked before gen3 was announced ...

Upset over investing in something they don't like. Who is the one that made the decision?

As someone who has both Frostfang and Astralaria(also Glacial Axe!). If I wanted Jormag's Rending I would just go and make Aurene's Rending then unlock the Jormag variant.

Not sure why "if you want something then go work for it" is such a foreign concept to some people.

The entire aurene set is basically a BLC set with an extra blinding flash.

Thanks for your reply!  I tend to think most players who have these would just go make the new ones.   

I have Gen 2 weapons, working on three Gen 1, and one of the Gen 3.  I would not want to trade them, even if the design was similar.  I put in the time and effort to craft them, I like how they particularly look with particular characters.  Even if they had a similar look to other weapons, I still would be happy with this.  

Trading one perceived unspectacular weapon (eye of the beholder) for a new frosty sparkle axe would not be well received.  How would that be fair to those who are crafting the Gen 3 and everyone can just trade in their old clutter for new skins?  Why would it only be one weapon (saying they look alike won't hold up) and not the others, which will make others who might want to trade upset?  Touch up some older weapons, call it good.

1 hour ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Thanks for your reply!  I tend to think most players who have these would just go make the new ones.   

I have Gen 2 weapons, working on three Gen 1, and one of the Gen 3.  I would not want to trade them, even if the design was similar.  I put in the time and effort to craft them, I like how they particularly look with particular characters.  Even if they had a similar look to other weapons, I still would be happy with this.  

Trading one perceived unspectacular weapon (eye of the beholder) for a new frosty sparkle axe would not be well received.  How would that be fair to those who are crafting the Gen 3 and everyone can just trade in their old clutter for new skins?  Why would it only be one weapon (saying they look alike won't hold up) and not the others, which will make others who might want to trade upset?  Touch up some older weapons, call it good.

and are we going to repeat this thread with Primordus' Claw and Incinerator?

2 hours ago, Ashgar.3024 said:

For example Incinerator is probably the cheapest legendary to make in the game but i still went out of my way to build the Claw of the Khan Ur for flavor reasons. Its not something most people will do but its still nice both options are there.

Incinerator is actually the second most expensive gen1 to craft. The cheapest is Minstrel.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Incinerator is actually the second most expensive gen1 to craft. The cheapest is Minstrel.

Not if you farm the precursor yourself. Anyway when i compared the 2 for fun on efficiency Incinerator was a fraction of the Claw in terms of cost.

Edited by Ashgar.3024

17 hours ago, Jokkerzzz.5471 said:

Have you seen predator? its just basic skin that have legendary tag for no reason

Its one of the very few good rifle skins and it also changes pretty much every rifle skills and even come with sound effects. 

To each their own but Pred is probably my 3rd fav leggo and the sleek design is part of why.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ashgar.3024 said:

Err... no? Precursors are usually 1/4th off a legendarie's cost if not less depending on cases.

Sorry read too many "farm it yourself equal free" posts around here and mistook your post as one.

Unfortunately ...

buying Spark = 245g/260g

crafting Spark = 263g/286g

How is making the precursor more expensive supposed to make Incinerator the cheapest legendary to craft?

On 10/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

All of the first generation legendary weapons need an update. They're sorely outclassed by gen2 and gen3 visually, despite sometimes being even more work to create (world exploration is rough).

Their only saving grace is the ability to just buy the precursors, and the fact that they don't cost an extra 250 Mystic Coins from the "Gift of Money" but now that the price of those have severely dropped its no longer that much of a bonus compared to the past.

Howler is perhaps the worst legendary that exists in the game, and Frostfang is "just okay".

not all. incinerator is still the best legendary for daggers and tbh i prefer it even compared to legendaries for other weapons. also, gen 1 pistol still has its merit as one of the ultimate ear irrigators 🙂 finally, i love my kudzu. subtle and flowery. sunrise and twilight still decent

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 6:29 PM, CrashTestAuto.9108 said:

I'm sure there will be some people who prefer the Gen 1, which is why the option should be to trade, but I feel really bad for anyone who got the original and there's just now a flashier but almost identical version available.  If there's concern about the cost difference, then maybe limit it to people who unlocked it before the new sets were announced.

You can have four of the same Legendary weapon. With Frostfang, Aurene's Rending, and Astralaruis you have three and three unique skins.

I fail to see the issue.

Edited by Malus.2184
  • Like 2