bards

czerwoni.9563

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

@Cynz.9437 said:Bard should have been thieves new spec :(

I can imagine it now, walking down a dark shady alley with only a few dim candles at each end of the passage to mark its boundaries. Then you spot a cloaked figure in the dark, it slowly approaches you and you think oh sheet it’s one of those thieves I’ve heard about.

You throw your money on the ground telling them to take it all and leave you alone and yet they still approach, that mass of cloth and darkness decending upon you. It must be a dead eye you think, he doesn’t care for money, he’s come for me, but who would send such an ominous figure of despair for you?

The shadow is almost upon you, you can’t move, this is it, this is the end. Something moves under the cloak and the air is filled with a sound so terrifying that we dare not repeat it.

!
And we all burst out laughing.

@OP, no, please no. We don’t need bards.

bards are a big part of the fantasy world and many mmorpgs have them.

Many MMOs also have level caps that rise with each major release, and each major release brings a new tier of armor that invalidates all older armor. Do you really want GW2 to implement something solely because "many MMOs do it"?

It's not such a bad idea. Many MMOs have crafting, dragons, PvP, and tons of other things found in this game. Adding bard to thief to give it a support spec is not out of this world. Do you really want to deny everyone that plays this game something with high fun potential solely to be different?

I just think thematically it’s a little silly, this shadowy figure who steals from people (and somehow saves the world several times) who fights dirty and disappears in puffs of smoke suddenly turning into some kind of multicoloured loud bard. It’s a complete polar opposite, one doesn’t want to be seen or heard and the other wants the world to see and hear them performing to inspire.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

I can imagine it now, walking down a dark shady alley with only a few dim candles at each end of the passage to mark its boundaries. Then you spot a cloaked figure in the dark, it slowly approaches you and you think oh sheet it’s one of those thieves I’ve heard about.

You throw your money on the ground telling them to take it all and leave you alone and yet they still approach, that mass of cloth and darkness decending upon you. It must be a dead eye you think, he doesn’t care for money, he’s come for me, but who would send such an ominous figure of despair for you?

The shadow is almost upon you, you can’t move, this is it, this is the end. Something moves under the cloak and the air is filled with a sound so terrifying that we dare not repeat it.

!

As classes or as inside jokes? I've seen Dancer implemented as class more often then Bards (music based buffs), and seen musical themes rolled into a class theme more then it being the Class's primary design concept.

@apharma.3741 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

!

Many MMOs also have level caps that rise with each major release, and each major release brings a new tier of armor that invalidates all older armor. Do you really want GW2 to implement something solely because "many MMOs do it"?

It's not such a bad idea. Many MMOs have crafting, dragons, PvP, and tons of other things found in this game. Adding bard to thief to give it a support spec is not out of this world. Do you really want to deny everyone that plays this game something with high fun potential solely to be different?

I just think thematically it’s a little silly, this shadowy figure who steals from people (and somehow saves the world several times) who fights dirty and disappears in puffs of smoke suddenly turning into some kind of multicoloured loud bard. It’s a complete polar opposite, one doesn’t want to be seen or heard and the other wants the world to see and hear them performing to inspire.

The thief is also the pirate of this world. They aren't quite what you describe. Then they have the monk, one of the the cowboys, and the sniper. Bard fits right in there in my eyes.

@apharma.3741 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

!

cause mesmers are out of the picture apparently? also what about necromancers giving up their undead follower to light the way for life as scourge? isn't that a polar opposite as well

@apharma.3741 said:

@Klowdy.3126 said:

@OriOri.8724 said:

@czerwoni.9563 said:

@apharma.3741 said:

!

By that logic DD should have not existed. Thieves are not assassins, they are rogues if anything and i think bards fits there very well. Medieval bards weren't always multicolored, i can actually see one being part of the outlaw group and being used as distraction for main.... cough... thief activity or being spirit of the party :)

Merry Men had a minstrel btw ;)

@Obtena.7952 said:At this point, you would have to explain what kind of game play a new class would bring ... each class is different, in more than just name.

Bard would be cool? Why? What would a Bard do that the 9 other classes don't? maybe it's just an elite? I don't think it's archetypical enough to be a major class on it's own, especially that it would be 2 elite specs behind everything else now ... and 3 at the next expansion.

Thief for example has been stuffed into same role (+1 decap pet) since nearly launch, i would love them being able to bring some support to the group for example.

• 8 months later...

@Yannir.4132 said:Whatever, as long as it's not useless like in AD&D. They usually can't fight well, don't get high level spells and the songs have meh effects. Can't even find and disarm traps...

4e and earlier maybe..... in 5e they're Mesmer levels of broken, can pick up crazy combinations of spells and has more spells then a Mage. Its like an (8-Bit) Red Mage thats actually good at being what it says it is.

The only class that comes at all into question by design and lore to be the Class for a Bard Spec, is the MESMER .. nothing else ..

The Bard is a profession of INSPIRATION .. not of ASSASINATION .. this stupid AD&D and Dragon Age Bioware nosend kind of has brainwashed way too many people into thinking, that Bards are shady thieves ... what a nonsense seriouslyBards are wandering musicians and performers, eventually also kind of dancers (Troubadors) or singers (Minstrels)..And only the kind of cheap storytellrs, which always try hard to let Bards look like some kind of cheap beggars and thieves, which can't make money enough by making only music and all, so that they kind of "need" to steal and be thieves, to get over the rounds ... what a silly BS really ...

As a profession of inspiration and creative, aspects that ypu need to have to become a good and successful bard, theses aspects of a profession are best represented by the Mesmer, which is this games inheritor of Inspiration Magic, the source of all Illusions, Creativity, the Mind and Mentality.Inspiration is like the house of your soul and creativity its windows of it, which reflect your personality.If you have no inspiration,, then you can't perform as a bard, you won#t have ideas for songs, and if you have eventually one, it will sound either bad, or like something so common, that you have heard most likely a thousand tomes somwehre else already, because what your doing is't inspired, doens't reflect your personality back to the listener of your songs- just isn't creative.

No other class stands better for all of this, than the Mesmer. The Bard/Minstrel should become kind of the high support spec of the Mesmer, not the Chronomancer. the Chronomancer hsould get reworked, if Mesmer receives a Bard Spec to turn more into a condi offense and control efficient class that is in its buffs and debuffs specialized only on the time aspect that plays a role onthe controling of the flow of time around them , their alies and their enemies, because thats the them and gameplay style of a Chronomancer.

Bards instead buff and debuff in a much wider area , are not at all specialized on control like Chronomancers and have a wider access to variosu buffs and debuffs, than a Chronomancer, but lack completrely in buffign or debuffign everything thats based on speed control.A bard is more like a combination out of Mesmer + Engineer, which use a various amount of different instruments as weapon,s which are used as kits basically, to quickly exchangre them out to change their weapon skilsl they can use for the momenmt, where a specific instrument is in usage as an instrumental weapon, like a Guitar (Axe/Hammer), like a Harp (Short/Longbow), like a Trumpet (Rifle/Staff), like a Violin (Shield), like a Flute/Clarinette (Spear) ect. "inspiration" for this comes from a game, recently now receiveable now finally in the west too, called Shining ResonanceGod id love to play as a bard Spec for the Mesmer, which wields musical instrumental weapons similar to like how those characters of that game handle their instruments liek weapons with those instruments beign kits, so that you have a broad access to various different instruments, makign this way the spec much more interesting to play, while at the same time also naturally similar as difficult to handle and master for alot of players, liek the Engineer or Elementalist.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:Whatever, as long as it's not useless like in AD&D. They usually can't fight well, don't get high level spells and the songs have meh effects. Can't even find and disarm traps...

4e and earlier maybe..... in 5e they're Mesmer levels of broken, can pick up crazy combinations of spells and has more spells then a Mage. Its like an (8-Bit) Red Mage thats actually good at being what it says it is.

Yeah, 3.5 ed is the only correct edition. 5th is all kinds of weird. They went too casual, and simplified the rules too much. I can get behind that in a video game but for tabletop it's just weird.

@"Ygomogad.1836" said:Would have been a nice revenant elite. Just give it access to warhorn, channel the power of some musical legend man and call it a day

Yeah of all the bard tropes I think the real life "travelling repository of oral history" one is the one that fits this game world best, and flavour-wise that really fits with the revenant. Maybe their class mechanic could function a bit like tempest's overcharging of attunements but for legends instead.

@Yannir.4132 said:

Yeah, 3.5 ed is the only correct edition. 5th is all kinds of weird. They went too casual, and simplified the rules too much. I can get behind that in a video game but for tabletop it's just weird.

Wasn't 3.5e Dice Roll Simulator 2000? I remember there being so many modifiers, you actually needed a spread sheet to track the math. But thats just my observation from my throne made of stacked 2e manuals.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

Wasn't 3.5e Dice Roll Simulator 2000? I remember there being so many modifiers, you actually needed a spread sheet to track the math. But thats just my observation from my throne made of stacked 2e manuals.

That's what made it fun ^^

@Yannir.4132 said:

That's what made it fun ^^

You'd think..... until you're 3 hours into an all-night game session, and still only half way done with the first combat encounter...... It was only 4 Goblins! and a trained Boar; so why are we only on the 2nd turn of combat!!!! ????

• 3 weeks later...

Since mesmers are often artists, a bard would work better as a mesmer elite specialization, but since Chronomancer is already a support role, a mesmer bard would have to be an offensive/debuff bard. Like a Jester or a a Court Bard.

The weapon would have to be as musical as possible. Since the most musical legendary weapon is already used by mesmers (The Minstrel), it'll have to be something different, and the next best thing is a two handed axe held like a guitar. So it'll have to be a new weapon type.

Something like this:

• Mesmer : Banshee (aka Court Bard or Virtuoso/a)
    • New Weapon: 2h Great Axe. (held like a guitar)
    • New skill type: Chants (Basically AoE signet, they have a small passive effect on allies or enemies while active, and can be activated for a 'Finale' with a greater effect)
    • Profession mechanic: Banshee wails. Clones no longer run all the way to the enemy to shatter, instead now the banshee and the clones shout in place before shattering while facing the target, and their effects are now a cone in front of them, so the clones will only move close enough for the shouts to hit.
    • Playstyle focus: Enemy debuff, control, disables.
    • Theme: METAL. Weapon skills sound like guitar riffs, the banshee wails are metal shouts, and the chants are metal songs.

The mesmer sacrifices its 'gracefulness' to gain impact. Rather than charming enemies with subtle spells and dancing movements, confuse them with loud noises charged with mesmer magic.

In the lines of stuff like these:

@"MithranArkanere.8957" said:Since mesmers are often artists, a bard would work better as a mesmer elite specialization, but since Chronomancer is already a support role, a mesmer bard would have to be an offensive/debuff bard. Like a Jester or a a Court Bard.

The weapon would have to be as musical as possible. Since the most musical legendary weapon is already used by mesmers (The Minstrel), it'll have to be something different, and the next best thing is a two handed axe held like a guitar. So it'll have to be a new weapon type.

Something like this:

• Mesmer : Banshee (aka Court Bard or Virtuoso/a)
    • New skill type: Chants (Basically AoE signet, they have a small passive effect on allies or enemies while active, and can be activated for a 'Finale' with a greater effect)
    • Profession mechanic: Banshee wails. Clones no longer run all the way to the enemy to shatter, instead now the banshee and the clones shout in place before shattering while facing the target, and their effects are now a cone in front of them, so the clones will only move close enough for the shouts to hit.
    • Theme: METAL. Weapon skills sound like guitar riffs, the banshee wails are metal shouts, and the chants are metal songs.

The mesmer sacrifices its 'gracefulness' to gain impact. Rather than charming enemies with subtle spells and dancing movements, confuse them with loud noises charged with mesmer magic.

What? A two handed axe? Held like a guitar? Nooooo just nooo lol.

Hello warhorn!Put it in mainland.Shoot notes.

I’d also like a buff/debug specBut make it still cute and call it a siren

@Artyport.2084 said:

@"MithranArkanere.8957" said:Since mesmers are often artists, a bard would work better as a mesmer elite specialization, but since Chronomancer is already a support role, a mesmer bard would have to be an offensive/debuff bard. Like a Jester or a a Court Bard.

Something like this:
  • Mesmer :
    (aka Court Bard or Virtuoso/a)

If it was a cute and gentle character, it'd be support, and Chronomancer does that already. It has to be aggressive. Metal.So it can't be a soft-voiced siren. It has to be a Banshee destroying the eardrums of enemies.

A horn is not metal. If you read Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, you learn that to have rocks in it, it has to be a guitar. And to be a guitar, it has to be an axe. And since 1h axe has been used already, we need a 2h axe added to the roster of weapons.

There's just no way around it. I do not make the rules, I just follow them.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:Since mesmers are often artists, a bard would work better as a mesmer elite specialization, but since Chronomancer is already a support role, a mesmer bard would have to be an offensive/debuff bard. Like a Jester or a a Court Bard.

Something like this:
  • Mesmer :

If it was a cute and gentle character, it'd be support, and Chronomancer does that already. It has to be aggressive. Metal.So it can't be a soft-voiced siren. It has to be a Banshee destroying the eardrums of enemies.

A horn is not metal. If you read Soul Music by Terry Pratchett, you learn that to have rocks in it, it has to be a guitar. And to be a guitar, it has to be an axe. And since 1h axe has been used already, we need a 2h axe added to the roster of weapons.

Music with rocks in it is more dangerous to its user than their audience though. Unless death's grand daughter has a crush on you. Also warhorns can be metal.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Adamant_Guard_Warhorn_(skin)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Aetherized_Warhorn_(skin)https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Call_of_the_Void_(skin)

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:Since mesmers are often artists, a bard would work better as a mesmer elite specialization, but since Chronomancer is already a support role, a mesmer bard would have to be an offensive/debuff bard. Like a Jester or a a Court Bard.

Something like this:
  • Mesmer :

Omg stop you are hurting my ears

@Sephylon.4938 said:

Something like this:
  • Mesmer :

Music with rocks in it is more dangerous to its user than their audience though. Unless death's grand daughter has a crush on you. Also warhorns can be metal.
)
)
)

Those are clearly Polka horns. The legendary one even sounds like a trombone.

Polka would work better with a "Sound Engineer" elite specialization for engineers, that allows them to summon loudspeakers that mimic their attacks where they are placed.

@gannondorf.7628 said:They have trouble to balance 9 class (well 8 actually coz revenant still on beta state since HOT release) and you want them to add more? It will be without me thanks you !

Talking about Bards, they sounds better in a thief/mesmer elite spec spot.

Please be that kind and dont send these loonies our = Thief direction. We dont want that kind of loonacy here. We need to take care of Deadeye cancer we dont need to take care of bards in tights thanks you as well

Archived