I want to change the race of some of my characters!

Endhle.5896

6 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

And lose all birthday year progress on that character. And if you are the type to buy them, all character specific unlocks like bags and templates.

Until/unless they address those type of things, deleting is not even remotely a solution for people who want a race change.

Then just make a new character and keep the old one. Pretty simple to do. And if you don't have a spare slot--BUY ONE!

• Like 4
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Calais.6348 said:

Because, at some point, you can no longer purchase new character slots. And if you're like me, having played your characters for thousands of hours, you'd rather not give ArenaNet your money at all instead of starting over.
I've been begging ArenaNet to raise the character slot limit to 100 for over eight years, but they just won't listen. In response, I simply won't buy their [thanks for censoring the s*** word] anymore.

Delete what, the game? Because I'd rather do that.

If you have 73 characters aint that enough? 

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

If you have 73 characters aint that enough? 

I'd like to see the limit increased to 90, so it's possible to have every race/gender/profession combination on one account. I realise that's a lot, but I suspect only a small number of people will actually do it and if someone already has 73 characters it's 'only' 17 more.

(But I only have 11 permanent characters and only 14 slots in total and don't feel like I have enough time for them, so this isn't something I'm personally worried about because I'm not likely to ever reach the limit.)

• Haha 1

I think alot of people start with Human characters because its the standard in every game, then later realise they'd like to play something different after seeing the great designs other players come up with for their characters, but also don't want to lose the progress on birthdays, etc. to change their race by rerolling.

This was actually discussed by the devs of a previous game I played, where they said "players chose Human by default, because its familiar, but then they remember they're in a video game and could be anything".

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

To all saying "anet would lose money", etc,

I just want to say this: we are the PLAYERS, we're not working at anet. We should voice to get more by spending LESS, instead of trying to develop methods for them to milk us MORE.

Yeah, good luck with keeping a business running using this model.  /smh

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Yeah, good luck with keeping a business running using this model.  /smh

I don't care, it's not my job to run a business, but it's my job to try to spend as less as possible as a customer, so here we are.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

I don't care, it's not my job to run a business, but it's my job to try to spend as less as possible as a customer, so here we are.

So, if everyone thought as you then the company would not be able to make a profit or stay in business and would close down.

Great thinking.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

I think alot of people start with Human characters because its the standard in every game, then later realise they'd like to play something different after seeing the great designs other players come up with for their characters, but also don't want to lose the progress on birthdays, etc. to change their race by rerolling.

This was actually discussed by the devs of a previous game I played, where they said "players chose Human by default, because its familiar, but then they remember they're in a video game and could be anything".

but did they have actual data to back up that claim?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

So, if everyone thought as you then the company would not be able to make a profit or stay in business and would close down.

Great thinking.

If you like to be milked by companies, so be it. You're free to do so, I don't.

Edited by Zaraki.5784
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Zaraki.5784 said:

To all saying "anet would lose money", etc,

I just want to say this: we are the PLAYERS, we're not working at anet. We should voice to get more by spending LESS, instead of trying to develop methods for them to milk us MORE.

Sure. But then if it's not profitable for Anet, they are unlikely to hear us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:08 AM, Labjax.2465 said:

And lose all birthday year progress on that character. And if you are the type to buy them, all character specific unlocks like bags and templates.

Until/unless they address those type of things, deleting is not even remotely a solution for people who want a race change.

Then don't delete it and just get a character slot.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/16/2022 at 11:38 PM, Endhle.5896 said:

I am aware that changing the race of a character is difficult, as the personal story has some chapters that are race specific, this is probably why the total makeover does not allow that option. I've been suggested to create a new character and problem solved, but then what about the investment in build templates, equipment templates and inventory slots, etc?

Some ideas I've been thinking about:
1. Allow to change race with total makeover, and reset core game personal story upon race change, this sounds like a fair compromise, without the knowledge of how this is implemented internally, I would assume this could reduce the development efforts to have to figure out a system for it instead.

2. Workaround: make gem upgrades transferable from one character to another (inventory slots, build and equipment templates), this sounds like an alternative that would still allow me to get me what I want, without sacrificing all the gem upgrades. A first iteration like this would be, to make it limited only to a character that has no upgrades at all, as an all or nothing option, and later on, to expand and offer more flexibility incrementally.

There are probably other details that might be coupled to the race that I didn't think of, and probably there are other alternatives that could enable this goal, but after 10 years playing the game, its a bit frustrating to have so many options to change, fashion, appearance, wvw servers, but not the race of a character :classic_sad:

Step 1 - buy another character slot

Step 2 - make a new character of whatever race/gender you like

Step 3 - buy name change contract to remove the name from the original character to the new one

Ascended gear is not soulbound anyway and exotics are very cheap to replace.

These threads always come up with players claiming they would pay "any price" for character change. Yet nobody can ever dispute the above method with any reasonable argument.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Well your not allowed to sell your account so there is that.

I know. The problem wasn't my response, but assuming I'd do that in the first place.

10 hours ago, disco.9302 said:

Step 1 - buy another character slot

Step 2 - make a new character of whatever race/gender you like

Step 3 - buy name change contract to remove the name from the original character to the new one

Ascended gear is not soulbound anyway and exotics are very cheap to replace.

These threads always come up with players claiming they would pay "any price" for character change. Yet nobody can ever dispute the above method with any reasonable argument.

If you would have read carefully, you'd know I did just that.

Edited by Calais.6348
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/19/2022 at 6:20 AM, Calais.6348 said:

If you would have read carefully, you'd know I did just that.

Your issue was that you have reached the limit on character slots. The solution is to increase the max, not implement a race change option. You seem to be barking up the wrong tree.

• Confused 1