WvW World Restructuring Beta 1 Veteran Achievement Issue

Rubi Bayer.8493

2 minutes ago, BadHealer.3608 said:

I think you did answer your own question, didn't you? No matter how many captures and defences you do, it wont progress.

yeah xD still braindead atm xD need more coffee hope it gets fixed before the beta ends

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zok.4956 said:

Software always has bugs. Even small changes can have bugs and unexpected software behaviour. That's why testing a software is of utmost importance. Testing software means finding (and fixing) bugs before the customer/user experiences them.

But tests costs money (work time of people doing manual tests,  cpu time of test systems running automated tests, devs time for writing automated tests that can run later, etc.) and then someone (a dev) has to think about writing/defining  a test for some functionality/module/class of the software. Not only the amount of tests but also the quality of tests defines how much bugs these tests can possibly find.

And even if you put a lot more money into tests than you spend for writing new software you will not find all bugs with testing. Thats why you often try to find some sweet spot for your software (if you test a software that works in a space craft you put A LOT more money into testing compared to a software for a computer game because bugs in a space craft software could costs lives etc.).

So, from the outside, we can not see if this is just a strange bug that slipped through all of Anets good tests or if this bug happens because a lazy dev (there are a lot of them in the software industry) did not care about proper testing.

My personal view: GW2 could have better and more tests before software is released.

Keep in mind that the whole reason these wvw restructuring tests are being done on live in the first place is because they've tested on a dev environment and it's cleared. Really I don't understand how people ask for better testing like on a PTR then get upset when something fails on what is essentially the PTR on live.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

7 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Keep in mind that the whole reason these wvw restructuring tests are being done on live in the first place is because they've tested on a dev environment and it's cleared. Really I don't understand how people ask for better testing like on a PTR then get upset when something fails on what is essentially the PTR on live.

First of: Yes for the beta, no for the achievements. There is no reason achievements would work on a dev environment but don’t on live unless they scrambled their code/ have different code which would be a far more frightening thing. 

Secondly, why are people unhappy with the “beta”? Group 1 that is unhappy are casual players that over the years have grown fond of their server but are not invested in creating any alliances (including the problem that creating an alliance of the size of an server isn’t even possible). These people fear that they will left behind with the current version of the alliance system. Which tbf. is true unless some more changes to how alliances work are made. (E.g. “Stay”-Button, Transfer Times, … we heard them all multiple times)

Group 2 that is unhappy are people actually interested in the alliance system who for

this beta have seen that almost

none of the previously remarked bugs of Alliances have been fixed/ no new updates have been made. This is also the group that rightfully questions of this is a beta or only an “event” the devs are doing to keep the players “fed with new content”.

Hope that helps explaining the issues people are having 🙂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chaba.5410 said:

So, you don't want better testing and less bugs on a live system?

The decison to use the live system for a full week long beta test that customers playing the game mode can not escape from, when a test is mainly about the backend matchmaking assignments (instead of using the live system for only one or two days, or using a public test bed / public test realm) can be questioned/discussed. But my response (and the topic) was not about that.

It's about an achievement not working and Anet not able to fix it, and even after they pushed a fix for it, it still is buggy. Achievements are not beta. And it happened more than once that achievements were bugged (too often, I think) when they were released.  It happened so often, that there should be some systems/guidelines in place at the studio, to reduce those bugs in the future.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Indecision.4513 said:

People are crying about this achievement as if it gave a free legendary or something xD just let them do their thing and enjoy the xp bonus 🙂 

I really dont care about the skin, its just me and others losing slowly but steady the trust in the developers. New wvw beta, nothing really new seems to get tested. WvW xp buff not there, coming one day later, beta achievement not there, coming 6 days later and then still bugged. Launching this beta same time as halloween event....  For me its just a kick in the nuts, again and again and shows me they dont care about wvw, laughing at us and just wanna get rid of wvw.

Edited by Potbelly.1520
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toyo.2953 said:

yeah xD still braindead atm xD need more coffee hope it gets fixed before the beta ends

"The period during which this achievement and the associated reward can be earned has been extended by 7 days, to October 28 at 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC-7)." - (from the release notes)

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Sad 1

I just finished my workday which involved too much testing of some changes that I made (in software). I don't have a good feeling  about the tests, they didn't go well. Reading this thread made me feel a lot better, my test activities are at least a lot better than the tests for the bug fix of this achievement. Thank you ArenaNet for improving my mood 😀

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Potbelly.1520 said:

I really dont care about the skin, its just me and others losing slowly but steady the trust in the developers. New wvw beta, nothing really new seems to get tested. WvW xp buff not there, coming one day later, beta achievement not there, coming 6 days later and then still bugged. Launching this beta same time as halloween event....  For me its just a kick in the nuts, again and again and shows me they dont care about wvw, laughing at us and just wanna get rid of wvw.

You care enough to be in the forums complaining about it 😉 I've been playing on and off since release and if I bothered about every such misshap I wouldn't be playing ANY game ever tbh

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

They should have been more clear on the requirements + added a x/5 counter. With the 0/1 counter I assume the 5 things are counted in the background (you don't know the number) ... and once you completed 5 ... it will be set to 1/1.

The way the wording is ... I guess only stuff with real defensive events works.. (No scouts I guess.) But a camp should work? I guess though ... people in this thread already captured 5 towers or better - after the achievement got "fixed". And it did not work? Then we need to wait for another fix. Since tomorrow is reset I won't even continue to try again ... just playing normally tomorror or the day after tomorrow since the duration for the achievement is supposed to be extended.

Not really a beta participation reward anymore then, huh? 😄 If it only starts to work after beta is finished.

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, justnora.2754 said:

First of: Yes for the beta, no for the achievements. There is no reason achievements would work on a dev environment but don’t on live unless they scrambled their code/ have different code which would be a far more frightening thing.

It isn't always the code, but the data the code is working with.  Besides, this is an achievement which is interacting with WvW events which is buggy beta code right now.  I've heard some people got the achievement on an alt that hadn't been in WvW before the patch.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Indecision.4513 said:

You care enough to be in the forums complaining about it 😉 I've been playing on and off since release and if I bothered about every such misshap I wouldn't be playing ANY game ever tbh

Im playing this game for 10 years and as you can see on my number of posts im no forumwarrior. Im not here to whine about the skins, cause nobody cares about it. What we do care about is how they are treatening WvW and how they announced alliances for years and playing around with the wvw beta now.  But as they dont care, I stop caring now too 🙂

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

can once again confirm: even after the hotfix that was supposed to fix the achievement, it is still bugged for SOME people.

so far this week, i captured 11 camps, defended 5 camps, captured 17 towers, defended 5 towers, captured 9 keeps and defended 3 keeps. I still got no progress or anything related to the achievement. 

at the same time, our guild's commander just tagged up for the first time this week, and he already finished his achievement and got the chest. I was with him the whole time and did basically the exact same thing...

It is STILL bugged, and it´s pretty inconsistent on who actually can progress, and who can't

• Sad 1

So far it seems it bugs with players who have already played the beta before the patch.  I heard about it and so tested it myself with a Steam f2p account that hadn't played WvW before today.  Sure enough, I received the achievement.  It stayed at 0/1 objectives until I participated in 5 captures so that part is confusing.  Sounds like the dev account data in testing didn't include nor anticipate "pre-played" accounts.  That's why rolling something to live is always "fun".

Edited by Chaba.5410

Baseless speculation here but people did get the weapon or the war machine skins wouldn't show in API.

However, the way the counter currently works is questionable. Maybe only people that don't normally WvW received it if the counter uses the WvW achievements that many dedicated WvW players completed already.

3 minutes ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Maybe only people that don't normally WvW received it if the counter uses the WvW achievements that many dedicated WvW players completed already.

My baseless speculation is that accounts that played the beta before the patch already completed the objective requirement for it and so the game thinks they already got the achievement.  In a weird way, it reminds me of those people who are having issues with the fishing achievement in EoD being stuck at 29/30 even though they caught everything.

there's also a chance that the other objective-related achievements in the WvW-category are interfering with the beta-achievement. A different thread gave a possible explanation to what happened. 
Some people, that actually got the achievement, didn´t have all  non-repeatable Objective-related achievements completed (achievements like "Going Camping" or "King of the Castle"). In that case it MAY be possible that the beta-achievement tries to track your progress by checking your other achievements. So, if you don´t have any objective-related achievements to progress (i.e. you completed all WvW-achievements related to objectives before the beta started), the beta-achievement breaks (so the theory, not confirmed tho)

Edited by Custodio.6134
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

We are the test environment...

It cannot be called a PTR/PTB because there is no separate environment, no test servers, nothing.  It's also not opt-in so even the term 'test' is facetious.

At the moment it's just 'turn it on and see what happens' type of deal.  

They should have some way for mocking up achievement progress though, even if the internal testing environment is very limited or even non-GUI based, it hopefully should exist.  Starting to doubt as this has been non-functional in some capacity for a long time now...

Edited by Gotejjeken.1267
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

We are the test environment...

Yes, that was my point.

11 minutes ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

They should have some way for mocking up achievement progress though, even if the internal testing environment is very limited or even non-GUI based, it hopefully should exist.

What if they do and it passed there?